• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

i7-12800HX Overheating Issues

mossy

Hi,

I have been having issues with my Legion 7 16IAX7, specifically with the i7-12800HX processor. Since day one of having this laptop, about one year ago now, the processor has been causing tons of issues with fps in games due to thermal throttling. It seems like the CPU is pushing itself almost too much and is turbo clocking it's speeds way behind necessary leading to high temperatures. I have tried messing around with the throttlestop program but have not really found any changes that seem to make the issue better. Disabling turbo boost makes the temperatures great, but the FPS performance for games gets horrible. Any advice is appreciated.

I have attached screenshots of my current Throttlestop settings.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    182.1 KB · Views: 35
  • 2.png
    2.png
    420.1 KB · Views: 41
  • 3.png
    3.png
    119.3 KB · Views: 31
  • 4.png
    4.png
    251.4 KB · Views: 38
May I ask about the "tons of issues with fps in games due to thermal throttling", which game(s) are we talking about? Issues with low fps or stutter?

I cross my fingers someone can help you with Throttlestop.

mossy

I'll have issues with really any graphically intensive games (GTA V, Six Siege, Diablo 4, etc.). As long as my CPU does not hit the throttle point of 97 degrees Celsius the game will run perfectly smooth with high fps. In GTA 5 for example, after a couple minutes of gameplay, the CPU will throttle itself to lower it's temps once it hits 97 degrees and my FPS will tank from 165+ fps to 30 FPS for 10 or more seconds until the temps have lowered back to under the 97 degrees. The cycle endlessly continues going back and forth from perfect FPS to significantly lowered FPS as it throttles itself. To me it seems like the CPU is drawing way too much power for what is needed causing the thermal throttling a few minutes after the game launches.
May I ask about the "tons of issues with fps in games due to thermal throttling", which game(s) are we talking about? Issues with low fps or stutter?

I cross my fingers someone can help you with Throttlestop.

This is "normal" in a gaming laptop especially with higher TDP Intel CPU's. What you can do to mitigate it: for thermal paste use Honeywell PTM7950 or PTM7958 (used by Lenovo and Nvidia for 4090) what can work almost as well as a liquid metal without risks, any other thermal paste is probably worse because of the pumpout effect, if you replaced the stock paste with something else than PTM or liquid metal, then you can have +5 Celsius or worse. Clean the vents and the copper elements, radiator elements in the cooler. Use undervolting and laptop cooler stand with large fans.

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
Use a negative offset voltage for the core and the P cache. Start at -50 mV for both. If that is stable then try -75 mV and then -100 mV. This can help solve your problem.

To slow your computer down a little, adjust the FIVR turbo ratios lower. That lets you decide how much turbo boost to use.

mossy

Use a negative offset voltage for the core and the P cache. Start at -50 mV for both. If that is stable then try -75 mV and then -100 mV. This can help solve your problem.

To slow your computer down a little, adjust the FIVR turbo ratios lower. That lets you decide how much turbo boost to use.
Any idea why my computer bluescreens when I adjust the P cache?

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
Any idea why my computer bluescreens when I adjust the P cache?
This is a common problem when trying to undervolt 12th Gen CPUs. Try setting mV Boost to 100 or 150. That adds voltage when the MHz are low which can improve stability. You can also try lowering the cache ratio max value before adjusting the cache ratio voltage.