• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel Expects to Lose More Market Share, to Reconsider Exiting Other Businesses

AleksandarK

News Editor
Staff member
During Evercore ISI TMT conference, Intel announced that the company would continue to lose market share, with a possible bounce back in the coming years. According to the latest report, Intel's CEO Pat Gelsinger announced that he expects the company to continue to lose its market share to AMD as the competition has "too much momentum" going for it. AMD's Ryzen and EPYC processors continue to deliver power and efficiency performance figures, which drives customers towards the company. On the other hand, Intel expects a competing product, especially in the data center business with Sapphire Rapids Xeon processors, set to arrive in 2023. Pat Gelsinger noted, "Competition just has too much momentum, and we haven't executed well enough. So we expect that bottoming. The business will be growing, but we do expect that there continues to be some share losses. We're not keeping up with the overall TAM growth until we get later into '25 and '26 when we start regaining share, material share gains."

The only down years that are supposed to show a toll of solid competition are 2022 and 2023. As far as creating a bounceback, Intel targets 2025 and 2026. "Now, obviously, in 2024, we think we're competitive. 2025, we think we're back to unquestioned leadership with our transistors and process technology," noted CEO Gelsinger. Additionally, he had a say about the emerging Arm CPUs competing for the same server market share as Intel and AMD do so, stating that "Well, when we deliver the Forest product line, we deliver power performance leadership versus all Arm alternatives, as well. So now you go to a cloud service provider, and you say, 'Well, why would I go through that butt ugly, heavy software lift to an ARM architecture versus continuing on the x86 family?"

Finally, Pat Gelsinger has emphasized that the company will continue to exit more businesses where it doesn't thrive. Just like it did with Optane memory, we could see Intel pulling out of other markets that don't necessarily align with the leadership's vision. Given that the CEO appointed a new leadership group and performed major company structure reforms, it is interesting to see what comes out of this. Just a few days ago, we saw the appointment of Shlomit Weiss as senior vice president and Co-GM of the Design Engineering Group.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site | Source

Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar b650m wifi
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin
Memory 32GB Corsair Vengeance 30CL6000
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Lexar NM790 4TB + Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial BX100 250GB
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Lian Li A3 mATX White
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W11 IoT Enterprise LTSC
Bwahahaha this is the same story Intel had on 10nm.

Soon (TM)

Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard MSI Z270 SLI Plus
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) Temporary MSI RTX 4070 Super
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB and WD Black 4TB
Display(s) Temporary Viewsonic 4K 60 Hz
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 850 W Gold
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
I cry a little inside when I think about Intel's plight.

/s

System Name SHINODA
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
Motherboard Asus X570 Tuf Gaming Plus
Cooling Corsair H170 ELITE CAPELLIX
Memory Crucial Ballistix 3600mhz @ 3800 CL14
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 3070 OC
Storage Samsung 980 Pro
Display(s) AOC Gaming 27G2U - 27
Case Coolermaster HAF 700 Evo
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Aerocool Templarius Imperator 1050w
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB Pro
The bigger you are the harder the fall :)

System Name His & Hers
Processor R7 5800X/ R7 7950X3D Stock
Motherboard X670E Aorus Pro X/ROG Crosshair VIII Hero
Cooling Corsair h150 elite/ Corsair h115i Platinum
Memory Trident Z5 Neo 6000/ 32 GB 3200 CL14 @3800 CL16 Team T Force Nighthawk
Video Card(s) Evga FTW 3 Ultra 3080ti/ Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090
Storage lots of SSD.
Display(s) A whole bunch OLED, VA, IPS.....
Case 011 Dynamic XL/ Phanteks Evolv X
Audio Device(s) Arctis Pro + gaming Dac/ Corsair sp 2500/ Logitech G560/Samsung Q990B
Power Supply Seasonic Ultra Prime Titanium 1000w/850w
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed/ Logitech G Pro Hero.
Keyboard Logitech - G915 LIGHTSPEED / Logitech G Pro
It's kinda shocking a company as successful as intel has been over the last decade seems to be on the ropes. I've owned 6 intel based platforms over that time span and hope Meteorlake is good enough for me to want to build one based on it... Hopefully Intel can consistently hit it's targets when it comes to more advanced process nodes and we don't get a repeat of 14nm.....

System Name Dirt Sheep | Silent Sheep
Processor i5-2400 | 13900K (-0.025mV offset)
Motherboard Asus P8H67-M LE | Gigabyte AERO Z690-G, bios F26 with "Instant 6 GHz" on
Cooling Scythe Katana Type 1 | Noctua NH-U12A chromax.black
Memory G-skill 2*8GB DDR3 | Corsair Vengeance 4*32GB DDR5 5200Mhz C40 @4000MHz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 970GTX Mini | NV 1080TI FE (cap at 85%, 800mV)
Storage 2*SN850 1TB, 230S 4TB, 840EVO 128GB, WD green 2TB HDD, IronWolf 6TB, 2*HC550 18TB in RAID1
Display(s) LG 21` FHD W2261VP | Lenovo 27` 4K Qreator 27
Case Thermaltake V3 Black|Define 7 Solid, stock 3*14 fans+ 2*12 front&buttom+ out 1*8 (on expansion slot)
Audio Device(s) Beyerdynamic DT 990 (or the screen speakers when I'm too lazy)
Power Supply Enermax Pro82+ 525W | Corsair RM650x (2021)
Mouse Logitech Master 3
Keyboard Roccat Isku FX
VR HMD Nop.
Software WIN 10 | WIN 11
Benchmark Scores CB23 SC: i5-2400=641 | i9-13900k=2325-2281 MC: i5-2400=i9 13900k SC | i9-13900k=37240-35500
Pat said last year that Intel is back as leader, AMD had a good run but it is over, a year later AMD has too much momentum to be reached?
I'm guessing the new Intel CPUs won't beat Ryzen 7000 series.
It all referring to the *server* market where AMD have distinct advantage over intel, not the consumer marker.

AMD will never overtake Intel though.

The more successful AMD get, the more their practises will mirror Intel's, just watch.
They have never been different, just in different places so each company had different strategy. But both of those strategy's comming from the same state of mind- make as much money as you can at the long rang, please your shareholders and PR your consumers.

Thay have never been different and never and will no be your friend.

System Name His & Hers
Storage lots of SSD.
Audio Device(s) Arctis Pro + gaming Dac/ Corsair sp 2500/ Logitech G560/Samsung Q990B

The more successful AMD get, the more their practises will mirror Intel's, just watch.

So your argument is they will not overtake intel because in the process they will become intel? So if they stay AMD they will overtake them or they will not overtake them either way :laugh:

I fail to see why this even matters if amd had 51% of the market and intel had 49% does it really matter or vise versa.... Only blind fanboys care about that neither of these companies give a damn about us just our $$$ that hasn't changed and never will all companies try to make every $ they can.

System Name Personal Gaming Rig
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI X670E Carbon
Cooling MO-RA 3 420
Memory 32GB 6000MHz
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 ICHILL FROSTBITE ULTRA
Storage 4x 2TB Nvme
Display(s) Samsung G8 OLED
Case Silverstone FT04
Competition just has too much momentum ?

Why not blaming your foot for hitting the brakes?

System Name Lexx
Processor Threadripper 2950X
Motherboard Asus ROG Zenith Extreme
Cooling Custom Water
Memory 32/64GB Corsair 3200MHz
Video Card(s) Liquid Devil 6900XT
Storage 4TB Solid State PCI/NVME/M.2
Display(s) LG 34" Curved Ultrawide 160Hz
Case Thermaltake View T71
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair 1000W
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Asus
VR HMD NA
Software Windows 10 Pro
Only blind fanboys care about that neither of these companies give a damn about us just our $$$ that hasn't changed and never will all companies try to make every $ they can.
If only more people realized that nothing in life is about them; they absolutely don't matter outside of family and a handful of friends. Everything is about getting you to hand over your hard earned money somewhere.

If more people really understood this, perhaps they wouldn't spend fewer years arguing for stupid social, economic and environmental changes - and just get on making the most of the short number of years they have on this planet.

System Name The de-ploughminator Mk-II
Processor i7 13700KF
Motherboard MSI Z790 Carbon
Cooling ID-Cooling SE-226-XT + Phanteks T30
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill DDR5 7200Cas34
Video Card(s) Asus RTX4090 TUF
Storage Kingston KC3000 2TB NVME
Display(s) 48" LG OLED C4
Case Corsair 5000D Air
Audio Device(s) KEF LSX II LT speakers + KEF KC62 Subwoofer
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Mouse Razor Death Adder v3
Keyboard Razor Huntsman V3 Pro TKL
Software win11
Intel has been pretty boring for years, hopefully this give them the wake up slap

System Name His & Hers
Storage lots of SSD.
If only more people realized that nothing in life is about them; they absolutely don't matter outside of family and a handful of friends. Everything is about getting you to hand over your hard earned money somewhere.

If more people really understood this, perhaps they wouldn't spend fewer years arguing for stupid social, economic and environmental changes - and just get on making the most of the short number of years they have on this planet.

Even these are more fulfilling than treating your silicon maker of choice like your favorite sports team It's dumb and needs to die.

We all love tech here it's why we are even part of this forum in the first place we should want competition and good products for whatever our budgets are who makes them doesn't matter. This is going to be an awesome year (maybe not the pricing) we are getting 4 major hardware launches I can't wait for TPU and my other sites of choice to get them in and benchmark them will I loose sleep if the 13900k is 5-10% faster than the 7950X nope or vice versa... Will I call someone dumb for buying a 7950X even if its slightly slower but uses less power nope.... I'm sure whoever is upgrading this year regardless of silicon maker will get some awesome products....

Same with AMD fanboys rooting for intel's demise it's stupid as well we need them to come out with good products on time to keep amd honest if Raptor Lake is really good and sells well I'm pretty sure we will see a 7600 non X and price drops on 7700X. Benefits everyone.

Last edited:
It's kinda shocking a company as successful as intel has been over the last decade seems to be on the ropes. I've owned 6 intel based platforms over that time span and hope Meteorlake is good enough for me to want to build one based on it... Hopefully Intel can consistently hit it's targets when it comes to more advanced process nodes and we don't get a repeat of 14nm.....

Not really. You could see the trend when Otellini resigned and left the train running at full steam towards a cliff. Back in the day their desperate efforts trying to get into the mobile market and failing miserably were a good indication that Intel is a company that can't steer at all. Long story short Intel couldn't put their products in the market even giving them away.

Now the same is happening. Competition from AMD is so alien to them that they can't answer properly. Intel's management is so out of touch they seem to think that everything will be solved on its own because "hey, we are Intel".

System Name His & Hers
Storage lots of SSD.
Not really. You could see the trend when Otellini resigned and left the train running at full steam towards a cliff. Back in the day their desperate efforts trying to get into the mobile market and failing miserably were a good indication that Intel is a company that can't steer at all. Long story short Intel couldn't put their products in the market even giving them away.

Now the same is happening. Competition from AMD is so alien to them that they can't answer properly. Intel's management is so out of touch they seem to think that everything will be solved on its own because "hey, we are Intel".

They've definitely made a lot of mistakes but I think what's hurt them the most is being stuck on 14nm for 5 generations and AMD killing intel hedt where they could charge 1000 usd for a 6 core back in 2010 and nearly 2000 usd for a 10 core in 2016.... If you told anyone in 2016 me included that we would be getting 16 cores for less than 700 usd on a mainstream platform I would have called you crazy.

D

Deleted member 185088

They waste a lot of money on rubbish, the latest is their obsession with GPUs, instead of focusing on optane (where they are ahead of everyone) available and affordable.

Competition just has too much momentum ?

Why not blaming your foot for hitting the brakes?
Yea. I agree with this 100%. Intel's Decline started when the former CEO Brian Krzanich had to resign because He could not keep his pants.

Ever since then upper management has been shooting blanks and making excuses. They all believe that Intel is Too big to fail, well in 4 short years we have seen that is not the case.

NOTE: It is unfortunate that I have/had to deal with those types of Narcissistic individuals that reside in Silicon Valley and Silicon Sacramento.
They are overall concerned about their golden parachutes and stock options than really getting down to the problem and fixing it.

With that I am curious with the GPU division and am with caution, looking forward for them competing in the video market. I might even pick one up if they are priced right as back in the day I have my Cyrix based computer hopefully in storage.

It seems that intel's only way out is to develop superior lithography techniques.

As long as TSMC is getting the machines first, Intel will be playing catch up.

Processor Intel Core i3 8350K @4.6Ghz
Motherboard ASUS Z370-P
Cooling Thermalright Macho Rev.C
Memory 12GB DDR4 2400Mhz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Geforce GTX 1050 2GB DDR5 128bits
Storage 2TB + 2TB
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster 794MB
Software Tubuntu 22.04 LTS x64 + Windows 8.1 x64
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R15 Single Thread: 215 points
what a inept and continue gain indecent salary

Gelsinger took over as CEO of Intel in Feb. 2021, and received a compensation package worth $178.59 million later that year, according to a financial filing. The compensation included over $1 million in salary, a $1.75 million bonus, over $140 million in stock awards, and nearly $30 million in option awards.

:)

They waste a lot of money on rubbish, the latest is their obsession with GPUs, instead of focusing on optane (where they are ahead of everyone) available and affordable.
I hope optane is opened like IBM power.

Intel’s major problem is execution. Sapphire rapids may be an interesting product from an engineering standpoint, but it is extremely late. It’s launch is anything but rapid.

Late delivery erodes customer trust. And even if intel technically does deliver a superior product, customers who switched to Epyc won’t instantaneously switch back. Gelsinger shouldn’t be so quick to assume this. For intel to start to gain market share again, it must deliver superior products on time and in volume. Genoa is looking mighty massive… when will intel catch up ?

It seems that intel's only way out is to develop superior lithography techniques.

As long as TSMC is getting the machines first, Intel will be playing catch up.

Exactly and I think it is pretty promising that Gelsinger fully realizes this. The unedited transcript from the Gelsinger conversation is very much worth a read. Gelsinger is very open and honest about Intel's problems and he knows exactly what they need to do to get back on track. The section on their Palladius methodology is interesting, too. This will only bear (full) fruits in 2025+.
It is almost a bit shocking just how honest and open Gelsinger is here because he is basically saying that we can write off Intel until 2025. He is almost issuing an advance apology for a series of garbage products until then :) .

I would say, even if you are a die hard AMD fan and if you are from a western country, you should wish Intel luck. We will need strong western semiconductor companies with fabs in the long run for geostrategic reasons. It is not very smart to wish for Intel to die. Not just to keep AMD honest. That's the least concern once Taiwan is ripe for the picking.

I would also disagree with a previous poster who said that their GPU efforts are "rubbish". No. It actually makes sense because computing has long evolved beyond the pure CPU space. AMD and nVidia make a lot of money with GPUs outside of gaming. The datacenter revenue of nVidia last quarter surpassed gaming and was up +61% so massive growth in that sector. And mirroring Intel's GPU efforts, nVidia is working on a CPU (nVidia Grace) to complete their eco system.
Intel should have stuck with Larrabee and fixed it. They would be in a much better position in the datacenter space right now with a strong CPU + GPU computing package. Now they have to play catch-up game again but it is certainly not "rubbish". They need a strong GPU segment in order to compete in the long run (5+ years).

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506

Well in market Cap they already beat Intel soo there's that.
And still no signs of exclusivity deals between AMD and dell etc so wrong IMHO.

Price wise, yeah when they're the best the price goes up, if Intel competes as with AL then the price's get competitive, totally like any other duopoly market.