• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel Microcode Boot Loader

Regeneration

NGOHQ.COM
I don't know how I would do that to be honest. If I select either the secondary drive or the USB flash drive to boot from in the bios (instead of the manually created EFI entries) it simply tells me there's no operating system detected.

I've made a small adjustment to the package. Redownload.

Some motherboards refuse to boot to non-Microsoft EFI. Before you attempt to install the bootloader to the HDD, make sure its working on USB.

Look for CSM option in the BIOS.

GalaxyMaster_P

Some motherboards refuse to boot to non-Microsoft EFI. Before you attempt to install the bootloader to the HDD, make sure its working on USB.

I've redownloaded and reinstalled it onto the USB, same result as earlier (no efi boot option detected in bios, manual entry doesn't boot, legacy boot says missing operating system). CSM is enabled in the bios. I'll try with the HDD anyway now, will report back.

I just tried it on the HDD, again same result as before. I can also confirm that my motherboard absolutely can boot non-Microsoft efi, because I'm currently using grub to dual-boot between windows 10 and manjaro linux.

System Name BOX
Processor Core i7 6950X @ 4,26GHz (1,28V)
Motherboard X99 SOC Champion (BIOS F23c + bifurcation mod)
Cooling Thermalright Venomous-X + 2x Delta 38mm PWM (Push-Pull)
Memory Patriot Viper Steel 4000MHz CL16 4x8GB (@3240MHz CL12.12.12.24 CR2T @ 1,48V)
Video Card(s) Titan V (~1650MHz @ 0.77V, HBM2 1GHz, Forced P2 state [OFF])
Storage WD SN850X 2TB + Samsung EVO 2TB (SATA) + Seagate Exos X20 20TB (4Kn mode)
Display(s) LG 27GP950-B
Case Fractal Design Meshify 2 XL
Audio Device(s) Motu M4 (audio interface) + ATH-A900Z + Behringer C-1
Power Supply Seasonic X-760 (760W)
Mouse Logitech RX-250
Keyboard HP KB-9970
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Are you trying to EFI boot Windows from MBR drive ?
Because that needs a Windows EFI boot files to work a and valid Windows installation (ie. booting directly works)./
Try to disable CMS, or set (U)EFI booting as prefered.

GalaxyMaster_P

Are you trying to EFI boot Windows from MBR drive ?
Because that needs a Windows EFI boot files to work a and valid Windows installation (ie. booting directly works)./
Try to disable CMS, or set (U)EFI booting as prefered.
AFAIK all my drives are GPT, I'm not sure about the flash drive I used (I think it was GPT as well, because I remember making it that a long time ago).

Why not use UBU Tool to modify your BIOS. No need for boot from USB?

https://www.win-raid.com/t154f16-Tool-Guide-News-quot-UEFI-BIOS-Updater-quot-UBU.html
Thank you for this. I've updated my bios with the latest microcode and everything is running fine. No more need for the microcode boot loader for me I suppose.

Last edited:

Regeneration

NGOHQ.COM
Glad to hear you got it sorted. BIOS modding is preferred and permanent but not always possible.

Last edited:

noway

1. Having trouble with Instruction #2, with this error message. Is there a trick to this?

Installing Intel Microcode Boot Loader to G:\

Make sure G: is the right drive before proceeding.

Press CTRL+C or close this window to abort.

Press any key to continue . . .
The system cannot find the path specified.

Installation failed.

Please ensure the device isn't write-protected and try again.

Press any key to continue . . .

2. List of the 392 CPUs this works for? I was thinking of upgrading my socket 775 CPU to Q9650 or QX9650 and would like to know if this works before I do. Thanks.

Last edited:

Regeneration

NGOHQ.COM
1. Having trouble with Instruction #2, with this error message. Is there a trick to this?

2. List of the 392 CPUs this works for? I was thinking of upgrading my socket 775 CPU to Q9650 or QX9650 and would like to know if this works before I do. Thanks.

The error indicates the utility cannot detect supported CPU.

Are you running it from a PC with Intel CPU? If so, try using the latest version from this link. It should list the CPUID of the CPU installed in the system.

Q9650 and QX9650 are supported, on Core 2 series (and older), the system will remain vulnerable to Spectre, but it will address other vulnerabilities and bugs.

Meti

I have a laptop with i5-450M (Arrandale). I got this at boot (wrong PlatformID):

Attachments

• 20181114_183538.jpg
    20181114_183538.jpg
    269.9 KB · Views: 458
  • Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    12.8 KB · Views: 555
Last edited:

noway

The error indicates the utility cannot detect supported CPU.

OK thanks. My current desktop CPU is very rare. An Intel E8700, which was never commercially released.

I also tried the utility on my laptop and got the same error message, which is a T4300 and pretty old too.

I still may upgrade the E8700 to a Q9650 or QX9650. Thanks for checking their compatibility.

Regeneration

NGOHQ.COM
1. Try to use the microcode from this link, extract all files from \intel-ucode to \boot\mcu.

2. Try to copy all files from \boot\mcudb to \boot\mcu.

AJNexus

I did the whole thing that is supposed to be done but when I try to check with InSpectre, it still says that Im not protected against Spectre. I have an OptiPlex 780 DT with an Xeon X3370 and I also added the extra microcode for this particular CPU. Any idea why InSpectre shows no Spectre protection?

Regeneration

NGOHQ.COM
I did the whole thing that is supposed to be done but when I try to check with InSpectre, it still says that Im not protected against Spectre. I have an OptiPlex 780 DT with an Xeon X3370 and I also added the extra microcode for this particular CPU. Any idea why InSpectre shows no Spectre protection?

So far, Intel released Spectre-fixed microcode for 1st generation Core i series (Nehalem) and newer.

The latest microcode for Core 2 series addresses other vulnerabilities and bugs.

Intel security team email is: secure@intel.com, if you wish to 'persuade' them to release a microcode.

On another note, the latest version includes instructions for advanced users regarding installation to a local drive on top of the System Reserved partition.

Last edited:

AJNexus

So far, Intel released Spectre-fixed microcode for 1st generation Core i series (Nehalem) and newer.

The latest microcode for Core 2 series addresses other vulnerabilities and bugs.

Intel security team email is: secure@intel.com, if you wish to 'persuade' them to release a microcode.

On another note, the latest version includes instructions for advanced users regarding installation to a local drive on top of the System Reserved partition.

I see but it just seemed a little weird that it still appeared as unprotected in the InSpectre app... Maybe it's developer needs to update it with the latest Intel Microcode Update for Core 2 Family.

BTW I tried the method of yours regarding the installation to a local drive but this appeared. Any idea what's going on?

Attachments

• IMG_20181118_211926.jpg
    IMG_20181118_211926.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 434

Regeneration

NGOHQ.COM
I see but it just seemed a little weird that it still appeared as unprotected in the InSpectre app... Maybe it's developer needs to update it with the latest Intel Microcode Update for Core 2 Family.

BTW I tried the method of yours regarding the installation to a local drive but this appeared. Any idea what's going on?

You didn't read my reply.

Regeneration

NGOHQ.COM
Sure I read your reply, I was talking about this https://www.grc.com/inspectre.htm
You didn't read the last part of my reply

Intel Core 2 family never received a microcode update for Spectre from Intel. Even with the boot loader, the system will remain vulnerable at InSpectre.

The 'access denied' error is a result of insufficient permission. You need to login to recovery console with a user that has administrative privileges.

In addition, the FAT32 partition must be on the 1st drive in the beginning of the drive. If it cannot be achieved, syslinux.cfg must include its location (append root=/dev/sdXY).

AJNexus

Intel Core 2 family never received a microcode update for Spectre from Intel. Even with the boot loader, the system will remain vulnerable at InSpectre.

The 'access denied' error is a result of insufficient permission. You need to login to recovery console with a user that has administrative privileges.

In addition, the FAT32 partition must be on the 1st drive in the beginning of the drive. If it cannot be achieved, syslinux.cfg must include its location (append root=/dev/sdXY).

Actually I'm aware that Intel didn't bother to patch LGA775 for Spectre but I thought that the bootloader would trick the InSpectre...

Thanks for the hints that you provided tho
I scattered the whole web before asking here

So basically what vulnerabilities in particular does the bootloader cover?

Regeneration

NGOHQ.COM
Actually I'm aware that Intel didn't bother to patch LGA775 for Spectre but I thought that the bootloader would trick the InSpectre...

Thanks for the hints that you provided tho
I scattered the whole web before asking here

So basically what vulnerabilities in particular does the bootloader cover?

For your specific CPU, it will update the microcode to version A0E and fix some hardware bugs.

Why not use UBU Tool to modify your BIOS. No need for boot from USB?
1. Because not all BIOS are AMI compliant. Dell, HP, IBM...
2. Because you are changing the boot with a russian-developed tool. I don't know what is scarier - the possibility of Meltdown/Specter or unknowing what gets really added in your BIOS.

techi

Could Intel Core 2 Duo T5250 not be vulnerable to Spectre? Can Intel Microcode Boot Loader help?

Processor AMD Phenom II X4 925
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2
Memory 4 GB DDR3 1333Mhz
Audio Device(s) onboard Realtek ALC892
Power Supply Seasonic S12II 620w (SS-620GB)
Software Windows 10 Education x64 21H2

that's because Inspectre checks the bios directly for the updated microcode; the bootloader can't "fool" it

plus some of the info on the web site for InSpectre is not up to date as its developer was not aware of the KB4100347 update for Windows 10 version 1803. try contacting the developer.

Ludwig von Ay

Is the microcode update for my CPU stored on the pendrive or will it be downloaded when booting? If stored on the pendrive, will it be updated automatically? Will the tool be updated?

Regeneration

NGOHQ.COM
Is the microcode update for my CPU stored on the pendrive or will it be downloaded when booting? If stored on the pendrive, will it be updated automatically? Will the tool be updated?

Stored on the pendrive, and the database will be updated time to time.