• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Legion Pro 7i 13900HX undervolt

Jetus

Hey guys, I need some help for my undervolt settings. I undervolted my CPU Core, P cache and E cache.
Set my Iccmax of CPU core and P cache to 225. After that I reduced the Cache ratio from 48 to 40.
Also the i reduced turbo ratios to 4.8Ghz for P cores, 3.8 Ghz for E cores for daily use.
Right now my temps reduced around 8-9 C but also I've seen EDP OTHER blinks in red on limits tab, when i check the table on HWINFO, I found this EDP and Max Turbo Limit says yes. Is there anything I skip? Also do you have any recommendation for improve my undervolt settings? Thanks for your help!
1689333818099.png

1689333876471.png

1689334008888.png

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
EDP OTHER
I would set IccMax for both the core and the cache to the max, 511.75. That can help with some EDP throttling.

The Max Turbo Limit throttling reason reported by HWiNFO is not important. That is why ThrottleStop Limit Reasons does not report this information.

Most people do not undervolt the E Cache. Undervolting this can cause stability issues without reducing power consumption any meaningful amount. If you decide to undervolt anything, make sure that you can prove that it improved performance or improved temperatures. If it does not improve anything, there is no reason to undervolt.

I recommend enabling Ring Down Bin. This forces the cache to always run about 300 MHz less than the P cores. Leaving this enabled can help improve stability.

metallidevils

I have an i9-13980hx (asus rog strix) and your undervolt values and idle temps are in line with what I am seeing.

Jetus

I would set IccMax for both the core and the cache to the max, 511.75. That can help with some EDP throttling.

The Max Turbo Limit throttling reason reported by HWiNFO is not important. That is why ThrottleStop Limit Reasons does not report this information.

Most people do not undervolt the E Cache. Undervolting this can cause stability issues without reducing power consumption any meaningful amount. If you decide to undervolt anything, make sure that you can prove that it improved performance or improved temperatures. If it does not improve anything, there is no reason to undervolt.

I recommend enabling Ring Down Bin. This forces the cache to always run about 300 MHz less than the P cores. Leaving this enabled can help improve stability.
What is VR CURRENT btw? I saw that red when i ran it on 511.75.

I set my ICCMax to max for both P cache and Core, and changed PL2 190 to 200 and ticked sync MMIO after that shown over there, is it dangerous and may cause hardware damage? Just ran R23 single run.

Last edited:

unclewebb

When VR CURRENT lights up red in Limit Reasons, that means your voltage regulators have reached the limit of how much current they can deliver to the CPU. This forces the CPU to throttle to reduce the load on the voltage regulators.

This is usually a sign of under designed voltage regulators. You will rarely if ever see this type of throttling on high end desktop motherboards using Z series chipsets.

Jetus

When VR CURRENT lights up red in Limit Reasons, that means your voltage regulators have reached the limit of how much current they can deliver to the CPU. This forces the CPU to throttle to reduce the load on the voltage regulators.

This is usually a sign of under designed voltage regulators. You will rarely if ever see this type of throttling on high end desktop motherboards using Z series chipsets.
It wont cause any damage then right? I think i have gone so far.

I hope it didn’t caused any damage

System Name Gaming Workstation | Lenovo Legion 7i Pro Gen8
Processor Intel Core i9-13900K | i9-13900HX
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix Z690-E | Lenovo HM770
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280
Memory 64GB (2x32GB) G.Skill Ripjaws S5 DDR5 5600 CL28 | 32GB (2x16GB) DDR5 5600 CL46
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 (MSI Gaming Trio) | RTX 4090 Laptop GPU
Storage 1 TB Samsung 970 Pro + 2x 2 TB 980 Pro + 3 TB SATA SSDs | 1TB 980 PRO OEM + 2TB 980 PRO
Display(s) Alienware AW3423DW 3440x1440 175 Hz | Lenovo 16" 2560x1600 240 Hz
Case Corsair 5000D Airflow | Lenovo Legion 7i Pro Chassis
Power Supply EVGA T2 1600W | Lenovo 330W GaN Charger
Mouse Logitech Pro X Superlight
Keyboard CMStorm QuickFire Mechanical
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2 (Virtual Desktop)
Won't cause damage - the VR CURRENT indicator means the VRM is throttling back power to prevent itself from being cooked.

I disabled BD PROCHOT in the BIOS (using the risky Advanced BIOS unlocker tool), so my only limits now are THERMAL, PL1, and VR CURRENT.

Do NOT disable PROCHOT however, as that WILL let the CPU cook itself.

Jetus

@unclewebb I wasn't undervolting for long time, however when I try to undervolt now, it does not saving any voltages. I disabled VT-d and Virtualization from BIOS and disabled UV protection but still same happening.

unclewebb

@Jetus
Post a screenshot of the FIVR window. There is usually a clue in there.

Run msinfo. Does it show that Virtualization is enabled?

Did you check to see if Windows core isolation memory integrity is enabled? A Windows update might have enabled that feature.

Do NOT disable PROCHOT however, as that WILL let the CPU cook itself.
A very old reply but just as an FYI, ThrottleStop does not include any features to disable PROCHOT. I never included a feature like that in ThrottleStop because I did not want the risk of users potentially cooking their CPUs. That would be incredibly unlikely though because even with PROCHOT disabled, Intel CPUs still have the THERMTRIP signal that goes active at approximately 125°C. This shuts the CPU down almost immediately to keep one's house from catching on fire.

Last edited:

Jetus

@Jetus
Post a screenshot of the FIVR window. There is usually a clue in there.

Run msinfo. Does it show that Virtualization is enabled?

Did you check to see if Windows core isolation memory integrity is enabled? A Windows update might have enabled that feature.
I solved that, I was on wrong BIOS and its fixed with downgrading.

vampgirl

Hi Jetus,
can you please tell me which bios version is working for you and from which version they disabled undervolting?
They should have not restricted undervolting with HX series! :(