• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

LG Announces Pricing and Availability of DualUp Monitor

System Name ICE-QUAD // ICE-CRUNCH
Processor Q6600 // 2x Xeon 5472
Memory 2GB DDR // 8GB FB-DIMM
Video Card(s) HD3850-AGP // FireGL 3400
Display(s) 2 x Samsung 204Ts = 3200x1200
Audio Device(s) Audigy 2
Software Windows Server 2003 R2 as a Workstation now migrated to W10 with regrets.
Micro HDMI has arrived! Time to test.

Plugged it into my ASUS UX330U laptop, which is 3200x1800 native. Turned on the laptop, when logged in at desktop, plugged the big end of the HDMI cable into the DualUp 2560x2880.

It worked instantly. Both screens working at the same time. I wasn't expecting either W10 to behave so seemlessly (my last dual display setup was many years ago on W2K3 and various dual screen utilities you needed to make it work smoothly), nor my not-new laptop to be able to handle both screens and both resolutions simultaneously. That's 3K+ 3K with odd resolutions. Worked by default. I am impressed. (Intel HD Graphics 620).

Sound was automagically transferred down the HDMI cable to the DualUp speakers.

Pulled up an A4 PDF, and was instantly readable without scroll and zoom.

However, the screen is laggy on the desktop. Looking at settings it is running at 29/30Hz, unlike the main desktop at 60Hz. Not sure why this is... will need to look into it. Is it HD620 chipset, or memory usage so high it is using system RAM and cannot handle faster refresh? Is it laptop micro HDMI output? Is it problem with cable? Is it problem with screen? It is sufficiently laggy that it is not a pleasure to work with anything other than a static screen.

========
UPDATE
========

This is not looking good. HDMI 1.4 supporting up to 4K at 29Hz. Guess I'm stuck with 29Hz on this monitor when attached to the laptop. That is a real show stopper for productivity. :( . The combination of the HD620 not quite coping with the 3K+3K, then screen tearing on 30Hz, makes the external monitor pretty poor and headache for any scrolling work.

I'm now looking carefully at a static image - and it isn't as good as I had hoped. Either the cleartype is off, or the 29Hz is causing a slight flicker which although I don't directly see the flicker, it is affecting the eye's comfort at focusing on the screen. Text on the laptop screen is much clearer than text on the DualUp. But then again, the DPI of the laptop is higher, so this may be what is affective my perception.

Buyer beware. Use this monitor only if you have HDMI 2.0+ or DP1.3+ or USB-C-video.

I'll test it with the wife's more modern laptop and see if it is any better.

Last edited: