• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

MSI Releases Firmware with 105W TDP Option for Ryzen 5 9600X and Ryzen 7 9700X

System Name Fractal
Processor Intel Core i5 13600K
Motherboard Asus ProArt Z790 Creator WiFi
Cooling Arctic Cooling Liquid Freezer II 360
Memory 16GBx2 G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 DDR5 6000 CL30-40-40-96 (F5-6000J3040F16GX2-RS5K)
Video Card(s) PNY RTX A2000 6GB
Storage SK Hynix Platinum P41 2TB
Display(s) LG 34GK950F-B (34"/IPS/1440p/21:9/144Hz/FreeSync)
Case Fractal Design R6 Gunmetal Blackout w/ USB-C
Audio Device(s) Steelseries Arctis 7 Wireless/Klipsch Pro-Media 2.1BT
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 850w 80+ Titanium
Mouse Logitech G700S
Keyboard Corsair K68
Software Windows 11 Pro
Well Lunar Lake and Arrow Lake are still on time and Lunar Lake launches this week.

You really expecting things to change that drastically? I don't think we're going to see a Pentium 4 --> Core transition quite yet. I fully expect a 9800X3D to rule the roost for 2025, and the 7800X3D to be the best value going for the next couple years.

Processor Ryzen 5700x
Motherboard Gigabyte X570S Aero G R1.1 BiosF5g
Cooling Noctua NH-C12P SE14 w/ NF-A15 HS-PWM Fan 1500rpm
Memory Micron DDR4-3200 2x32GB D.S. D.R. (CT2K32G4DFD832A)
Video Card(s) AMD RX 6800 - Asus Tuf
Storage Kingston KC3000 1TB & 2TB & 4TB Corsair MP600 Pro LPX
Display(s) LG 27UL550-W (27" 4k)
Case Be Quiet Pure Base 600 (no window)
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220-VB
Power Supply SuperFlower Leadex V Gold Pro 850W ATX Ver2.52
Mouse Mionix Naos Pro
Keyboard Corsair Strafe with browns
Software W10 22H2 Pro x64
60% more power for 13% more performance?!?

nah.........

RaphaelOne

This is only relevant to the A620, right?

Every other model has PBO where you can set your TDP to whatever you want, and MSI has usually provided various 45W/65W/95W eco modes across the last few generations of B-series and X-series boards.

That's a 3-week old video without the 11% improvement to gaming that the Windows patches have provided.

AFAIK, the scheduler patches that Microsoft have applied to W11 invalidate launch day reviews entirely if they haven't been updated. You can definitely blame AMD for not timing the launch correctly if these patches have been in the works for a while, but you can also blame Microsoft for failing to get branch-prediction code right for YEARS. The gains to Zen4 are almost as significant and prove that all the work that was put towards Intel for Alder Lake's launch was omitted for AMD. Call it bias, call it favouritism, call it foul-play - I don't care. What matters is that AMD CPUs have been artificially held back by Microsoft for an entire product generation.
Now let me remind You, years ago Intel paid Microsoft a bribe so that Windows would silently skip the (then modern) MMX instructions in AMD processors. Later Intel paid Microsoft bribes to skip AMD's Opteron 64 server offering (which kicked Xone's asses back then). (...) In 2016 after the AM4 platform launch, AMD sent Microsoft a scheduler code for the ZEN architecture based on chiplets almost a year before the first Ryzen1000 was released. Even when the ZEN2 architecture (Ryzen3000) was released, Microsoft failed to properly optimize the Windows scheduler for the ZEN1 architecture (Ryzen1000). After the first Ryzen Epyc and Threadripper processors were released, Lisa Su blamed Microsoft for the poor performance of the Windows scheduler, even though AMD had been providing scheduler code for the chiplet architecture for a long time. Now again, ZEN5 launch and we find out that the current Windows 11 is not able to fully efficiently manage ZEN3, ZEN4 and ZEN5 processors. Do you think this is a coincidence? In the Divine Universe there are no coincidences, just look at history. All the Microsoft bugs and incompetences that regularly hit AMD hardware were funded by Intel.

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
Now let me remind You, years ago Intel paid Microsoft a bribe so that Windows would silently skip the (then modern) MMX instructions in AMD processors. Later Intel paid Microsoft bribes to skip AMD's Opteron 64 server offering (which kicked Xone's asses back then). (...) In 2016 after the AM4 platform launch, AMD sent Microsoft a scheduler code for the ZEN architecture based on chiplets almost a year before the first Ryzen1000 was released. Even when the ZEN2 architecture (Ryzen3000) was released, Microsoft failed to properly optimize the Windows scheduler for the ZEN1 architecture (Ryzen1000). After the first Ryzen Epyc and Threadripper processors were released, Lisa Su blamed Microsoft for the poor performance of the Windows scheduler, even though AMD had been providing scheduler code for the chiplet architecture for a long time. Now again, ZEN5 launch and we find out that the current Windows 11 is not able to fully efficiently manage ZEN3, ZEN4 and ZEN5 processors. Do you think this is a coincidence? In the Divine Universe there are no coincidences, just look at history. All the Microsoft bugs and incompetences that regularly hit AMD hardware were funded by Intel.
Call it bias, call it favouritism, call it foul-play - I don't care.
i.e. I know exactly what it is.
Right now, intel is between a rock and hard place, but they've been on the back foot since 10nm problems. If you don't think they're playing dirty then you've been hiding under a rock for the last 20 years.

System Name GameStation
Processor AMD R5 5600X
Motherboard Gigabyte B550
Cooling Artic Freezer II 120
Memory 16 GB
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 7900 XTX
Storage 2 TB SSD
Case Cooler Master Elite 120
You forgot MS delaying the release of Win XP 64 bit, so intel would have more time to release their first AMD64-capable CPU to compete with the already released AMD Athlon 64.

As I said before, with friends like MS, AMD doesnt need enemies.

wolf

Better Than Native
System Name MightyX
Processor Ryzen 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro WiFi
Cooling Scythe Fuma 2
Memory 32GB DDR4 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Asus TUF RTX3080 Deshrouded
Storage WD Black SN850X 2TB
Display(s) LG 42C2 4K OLED
Case Coolermaster NR200P
Audio Device(s) LG SN5Y / Focal Clear
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Corsair Dark Core RBG Pro SE
Keyboard Glorious GMMK Compact w/pudding
VR HMD Meta Quest 3
Software case populated with Artic P12's
Benchmark Scores 4k120 OLED Gsync bliss
Funny so AMD releases their new line, all the reviewers review the CPUs and THEN a couple weeks later:
- Windows update with 10% uplift
- BIOS update with 10% uplift

Meanwhile most reviews won't change. Kinda feels bad. :D
Things like this is why it's imperative that AMD get their Sh*t together for launches. If the pricing is off, or there are bugs, issues etc, it significantly dampens the launch of what are more often than not really good products (there are multiple examples of this, the 7900XT springs to mind immediately), but by the time it's fixed/price corrected all the reviews are out based on day 1 price and performance, and most consumers won't revisit that, and the damage is done.

You'd hope someone there would have noticed this by now and would be working to make their launches land more effectively.

System Name Still not a thread ripper but pretty good.
Processor Ryzen 9 7950x, Thermal Grizzly AM5 Offset Mounting Kit, Thermal Grizzly Extreme Paste
Motherboard ASRock B650 LiveMixer (BIOS/UEFI version P3.08, AGESA 1.2.0.2)
Cooling EK-Quantum Velocity, EK-Quantum Reflection PC-O11, D5 PWM, EK-CoolStream PE 360, XSPC TX360
Memory Micron DDR4-5600 ECC Unbuffered Memory (2 sticks, 64GB, MTC20C2085S1EC56BD1) + JONSBO NF-1
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon RX 5700 & EK-Quantum Vector Radeon RX 5700 +XT & Backplate
Storage Samsung 4TB 980 PRO, 2 x Optane 905p 1.5TB (striped), AMD Radeon RAMDisk
Display(s) 2 x 4K LG 27UL600-W (and HUANUO Dual Monitor Mount)
Case Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic Black (original model)
Audio Device(s) Corsair Commander Pro for Fans, RGB, & Temp Sensors (x4)
Power Supply Corsair RM750x
Mouse Logitech M575
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2
Software Windows 10 Professional (64bit)
Benchmark Scores RIP Ryzen 9 5950x, ASRock X570 Taichi (v1.06), 128GB Micron DDR4-3200 ECC UDIMM (18ASF4G72AZ-3G2F1)
Things like this is why it's imperative that AMD get their Sh*t together for launches. If the pricing is off, or there are bugs, issues etc, it significantly dampens the launch of what are more often than not really good products (there are multiple examples of this, the 7900XT springs to mind immediately), but by the time it's fixed/price corrected all the reviews are out based on day 1 price and performance, and most consumers won't revisit that, and the damage is done.

You'd hope someone there would have noticed this by now and would be working to make their launches land more effectively.
I recently discovered Framechasers and he says 9950x even with stock IHS it's a beast when tuned hitting very close to delided and tuned 7950x3d in terms of gaming performance and claims the core to core latency isn't the issue but the fact that AMD mixes good and crap CCD's on the same chip. It will be interesting to see his workstation test results and how they differ to other testers but I think will be somewhat incomparable as HU and GN test the CPU basically out of the box with some exceptions.