• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

MSI RX 480 Gaming X 8 GB

The fact is that power consumption on all these new cards are much lower than the last generations, and that the talking point itself is contrived as a sales feature/benefit by Nvidia, which is fine.
However, what I object to is when so called tech-savvy enthusiasts embrace this nonsense as if was some sort of dealbreaker, and keep spouting it incessantly as if it was really going to impact them.
Let's be honest; is someone who can afford $750 for a video card really pinching pennies each month to pay the electric company?

BTW Tom Baker is the one and only Doctor!

Bingo. I just bought a Fury for $310. Sure it typically is using 200 - 250w while gaming instead of 120 - 170w with the 1070; BUT WHO CARES?! In BF1, Metro LL, Bioshock, and Deus Ex my card performs 5-20% better. It is laughable imo that I would choose anything else right now.

Power consumption should be a tie breaker and nothing else.

Malabooga

This whole Power Consumption issue is such a non-issue that has been pushed as a marketing point by Nvidia even though the difference is mere pennies per month.
Even the Etherium Mining community who live and die in the profit margins have chosen the RX 480 as the card of choice.
Every time I see the point brought up, I think of a parrot; "Power Consumption, the Power Consumption...caw caw rawwwk!" .

As always it turns out that the most loud about "power consumption" are those who have no clue what theyre talking about and throw numbers like "100$/month!"

oh yes, 1060 use few less W, youll save few cents/month, maybe even 5 $ cofee in a year.

Card running cool/silent or not is a matter of cooler, if you put up claim that "480 runs hot and loud" than everything above 150W runs hot and loud too including 1070/1080/980ti/980/970... ... ....

My MSI 480 gaming X runs mostly passively cooled in some older games and turns on fans now and then, as a standard it runs 65c at 1100-1200 RPM fans which is inaudible and pretty much beats every other 1060 in that departement except gaming x which has same cooler.

Bingo. I just bought a Fury for $310. Sure it typically is using 200 - 250w while gaming instead of 120 - 170w with the 1070; BUT WHO CARES?! In BF1, Metro LL, Bioshock, and Deus Ex my card performs 5-20% better. It is laughable imo that I would choose anything else right now.

Power consumption should be a tie breaker and nothing else.

Great deal, theres also Fury Nitros in EU for 315/319€, pretty much best buy card ATM.

Last edited by a moderator:
Processor E5-1680 V2
Motherboard Rampage IV black
Video Card(s) Asrock 7900 xtx
Storage 500 gb sd
Software windows 10 64 bit
Benchmark Scores 29,433 3dmark06 score
Sorry but that last post needed to be accentuated by being by itself as a reaction to the last 2 posts. I get loving what you got and having a preference, we all have bias (as well as bios) but when you say having similar performance from 2 products and having 1 of them literally be DOUBLE the power consumption and say, "meh, who cares" just blows me away. That's like having one car use 5 gallons of gas per 100 miles and generate 300 horespower and another that gets 300 horsepower and using 10 gallons per 100 miles and say you'd rather have the 10 gallon per 100 mile car, oh and the car that uses more gas also runs significantly hot and has little "overclocking" room with how it is built whereas the more efficient car has much more aftermarket cams etc that it can tolerate and so has a decently higher horsepower it can attain. Seriously? Also for well over 300 bucks and/or euros I can find many cards that certainly match or beat the fury...Then again with how you guys are looking at this you may next say a mud puddle is a better place to fish than the ocean.

System Name Team Crimson
Processor AMD FX 8320
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3
Cooling Corsair H80i
Memory DDR3 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ RX 480 8GB RAM
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250GB / Crucial MX300 275GB
Display(s) AOC 2752H 27" 1080p
Case NZXT Source 220 Windowed
Power Supply Antec Earthworks 650W
Mouse Logitech M510/ AGPTEK T-90 Zelotes
Keyboard Logitech K360/ iBUYPOWER TTC RED Switch Mechanical
Software Windows 8.1 64 Bit
Yep, long live Tom Baker! That tip of the hat aside I will say you destroy your own argument by saying "$750" card and power bill penny pinching when we are discussing a card that is barely a 1/3 as expensive as unnamed card you refer to by a 3/4 of a grand cost; So therefore you are undercutting your own argument by talking about a totally different group of consumers ( as in entry level enthusiasts versus high end enthusiasts like RX 480 users vs. highest end custom 1080 users)...And you are either intentionally or unintentionally misrepresenting the customer group we are talking about and therefore invalidating your own point.

No, this is brought up at every price point comparing Paxwell cards to previous gen Fury and 390X.
It will go on as long as Nvidia holds a lead in efficiency against Vega, just you wait.

Now, if you'll permit me once again:

"Power Consumption, the Power Consumption...caw caw rawwwk!".

System Name Team Crimson
Processor AMD FX 8320
Cooling Corsair H80i
having 1 of them literally be DOUBLE the power consumption and say, "meh, who cares" just blows me away. That's like having one car use 5 gallons of gas per 100 miles and generate 300 horespower and another that gets 300 horsepower and using 10 gallons per 100 miles and say you'd rather have the 10 gallon per 100 mile car,

This is an invidious comparison as the cost of gasoline is not to be compared with electric. Or, shall I say it's an Nvidious comparison?

System Name Team Crimson
Processor AMD FX 8320
Cooling Corsair H80i
Card running cool/silent or not is a matter of cooler, if you put up claim that "480 runs hot and loud" than everything above 150W runs hot and loud too including 1070/1080/980ti/980/970... ... ....

But see, if the electric bill was really a problem then you couldn't afford to run the air conditioner and your ambient temps would cause the fans to ramp up to full speed causing more noise and----

Processor E5-1680 V2
Storage 500 gb sd
No, this is brought up at every price point comparing Paxwell cards to previous gen Fury and 390X.
It will go on as long as Nvidia holds a lead in efficiency against Vega, just you wait.

Now, if you'll permit me once again:

Again, you ironically compare nvidia users to parrots while literally parroting your parrot call repeatedly over and over...hypocrisy much? Oh, and while we're at it YOU brought up the crazy high price as if it were relevant to this sub 300 dollar card discussion, which it is not. So you were the one who erroneously threw a price out there that only broke your argument, also "just you wait" is hardly an argument considering what you're talking about hasn't even happened yet.

This is an invidious comparison as the cost of gasoline is not to be compared with electric. Or, shall I say it's an Nvidious comparison?

Now, if you'll permit me to not act as a parrot parroting a parrot...but actually argue sensibly where your arguments are weak and vapid it's called an analogy, obviously it isn't perfect however it effectively made a point on multiple issues and all you can say is gas does not = electricity therefore every point I effectively made you avoided. Therefore, I will simply consider I with even a non-perfect analogy done off the top of my head simply to make arguments on efficiency and performance of machines ( be it cpu or a V8) you had no useful rebuttal to whatsoever and will only continually display a strange obsession with parrots. :)

System Name Team Crimson
Processor AMD FX 8320
Cooling Corsair H80i
Again, you ironically compare nvidia users to parrots while literally parroting your parrot call repeatedly over and over...hypocrisy much?

I use both Nvidia and AMD cards in my two builds.

No matter the price points, the issue is brought up as if it were an important factor in selecting a card for purchase. Even reviewers are focusing on this metric now.

Your petrol example was bad because the difference in electrical usage is irrelevant for anyone who is not pedaling a generator with their feet.

Last edited:
Processor E5-1680 V2
Storage 500 gb sd
Sigh, so the reviewers are in on the conspiracy too? No, my "petrol" AKA gasoline example has nothing to do with gas or electricity it has to do with efficiency and how a product performs and you know it. So do you use the most inefficient light bulbs you can find for everything in your house? Do you also find the least efficient appliances you can as well? I assume you also find the products that in a certain class point run the hottest you can find and throw the most heat? I guess that might make a scant bit of sense if you lived in Antarctica or Alaska maybe you can use 50 computers with fanless RX 480's overclocked to the max and never need to run your heat again, who cares if it takes 2000 watts an hour? After all, efficiency isn't an issue for you long as you get some sort of result :) .
Regardless you still won't admit the obvious mistake you made in referencing a price point not slightly relevant to this whole thread and focusing on only gas vs electric as if you truly are oblivious to the obvious point which is efficiency and ultimate performance. The type of fuel was irrelevant, and it's irrelevant because the points I made using it for measurable metrics still are perfectly in-line with this card. You can't even address them so please do us a favor and don't insult my and everyone's intelligence on this thread with your stupid girl on a bike picture.
Also, spare me with the "I use both camps cards" bullshit, at least just admit you're an honorary CEO of AMD and get on with it, sheesh lol. After you basically attack someone on their opinion that the efficiency of the 480 is an issue for them and call them out like they were committing treason you really think you look like you are unbiased? Again, your "objectivity" is a joke and we all see that. I like Nvidia this round they win, no one can debate they got from midrange to top monopolized. I actually don't like that because I had a 7970 and a few older AMD/ATI as well I like competition, and I wanted AMD to do more this round but they are only half in the game letting Nvidia overprice every sku they have over what AMD has due to zero competition. I don't really like it or find any happiness in the 480 being a bit underwhelming (but still a decent gpu) plus having zero products to even compete with gtx 980ti, 1070, 1080, and now titan. Yes the 980ti is EOL essentially and last generation, I list it to make the point that even that especially being a good overclocker competes with new Nvidia products up to 1070 and I've seen comparisons of max clocked 1080 and 980ti and the ti was far too close hence why it wasn't in a lot of reviews early on especially OC'd models. So Nvidia narrowly beat its' own last generation in performance till you get to the titan....what AMD product even touches a 980ti in performance? Yes, since you aren't that good with analogies and meanings and the like that is a rhetorical question.

System Name Team Crimson
Processor AMD FX 8320
Cooling Corsair H80i
I'm glad you brought up Adored TV's test of the 1080 vs. 980Ti, and that Pascal was not on the original architecture roadmap and so was obsolete the day it was released since it doesn't have Asynchronous Compute.

Yes, I do use the inefficient lightbulbs since they cannot be used as microphones as they are currently used in Newark International Airport.
The only mistake I made in my referencing that price point was in my overestimation of your ability to understand.

As to having both cards, at that time Maxwell was truly a great architecture and so I bought it, but now Paxwell is not future proof and much too expensive. I may go back to Nvidia after I see Volta vs. Vega, but I don't like Team Green's deceptive business practices with VRAMGate and the 1050 3GB, and the prices are outrageous.

Last edited:
Processor E5-1680 V2
Storage 500 gb sd
Do you even know how to read? Seriously, you are reduced to agreeing with me about Nvidia being overpriced and not liking the market etc you said "deceptive business practices" but yeah kinda what I was saying dumbass. Also you are erroneous in referencing a specific single test of 1080 vs 980ti since I looked up several, as well as did my homework and sieved through newer reviews (and older ones) that did list the 980ti and where it was overclocked and benched in certain games so I could use that to compare to other gpus. I guess you just knew of one test and being the parrot brain you are you assumed I'd do what you do and look at one review and make a judgement, again totally false and I never said anything about what, who and where I got the info from. No, the mistake you made is you said something stupid that made no sense as stated and ironically was far worse than my gas analogy you won't address the efficiency point there within.

Also the light bulb bit, yeah not workin' for ya try again:). Maybe actually address the very simple points I make and respond, rather than say something that shows supreme idiocy and flippancy knowing you got nothing useful to say. I know someday you may be able to do this, I'll be here long as one of us doesn't die before that happens...

So...you're telling me the Rx 480 is more future proof than say a gtx 1080 or 1070? Obviously you think so you defend it so vehemently and if obviously are skipping "Paxwell" due to non-future proofing you think AMD must be better somehow with this. Also I like how I lay out my arguments and back them up and best you can do is a few crap sentences that address nothing I said, except miss the point OR ironically even agree with me on some things. Yeah, I can almost hear the Vulkan and DX 12 argument coming where suddenly and magically that Rx 480 will not only beat a 1080, maybe give the implementation enough time it'll beat a Titan!

You sir truly have earned the idiot of the day award, from your first message to the last. I reiterate, when you can take what I very simply and carefully laid out and intelligently address the points and not squawk like a parrot maybe I and others' may take what you say seriously. It starts and goes on with you squawking then obfuscating repeatedly so I find it rather humorous you question my comprehension or anyone else for that matter; like the poor bloke who simply dared to state his opinion on his take on why the Rx 480's efficiency and lack thereof was an issue for him. Also I assume you mean the 1070 3gb ram issue? I know you're so much smarter than me (it's so obvious) that I just can't imagine you'd fuck up like a moron and type 1050 right? :). You type so little of anything I'd assume the little you do you'd use that obviously huge intellectual genius and almost Christ-like faultlessness of yours to pontificate with such utter Einsteinian-like genius and give us philosophically timeless and greatest hits-type gems like....

"But see, if the electric bill was really a problem then you couldn't afford to run the air conditioner and your ambient temps would cause the fans to ramp up to full speed causing more noise and----

"Now, if you'll permit me once again:

"Power Consumption, the Power Consumption...caw caw rawwwk!"."

"Every time I see the point brought up, I think of a parrot; "Power Consumption, the Power Consumption...caw caw rawwwk!"

Quotes by Einstein...can't you tell? :peace::slap:

System Name Team Crimson
Processor AMD FX 8320
Cooling Corsair H80i
I thought maybe you were referring to Adored's video on the 980Ti vs Maxwell 3.0, since Adored came on this forum to discuss his findings with the community, particularly those who were unhappy with his conclusions.
The 1050 3GB I'm referring to is the the cutdown CUDA of the 1060 3GB.
You don't need to defend or feel sorry that poor bloke, that guy is on record for continuously bringing up power efficiency for any and all AMD cards, but fails hard when pointing his finger at Polaris.
I would like to respond to any carefully and simply laid out arguments you would like to make, I've been waiting very patiently for you to post some.

Processor E5-1680 V2
Storage 500 gb sd
Hilarious, do you have anything useful to say or just bad one liners? Oh all those parrot quotes as well! I think I will do you a favor and since you haven't made ANY points of any value, forget well laid out maybe you should listen to yourself when you say....

"I would like to respond to any carefully and simply laid out arguments you would like to make, I've been waiting very patiently for you to post some."

Because dude, if you think my paragraphs' worth of points you simply don't address aren't carefully laid out, I shudder to think what you would objectively say about an asshole who squawks like a parrot and makes bad light bulb jokes and posts pointless pictures of a chick on a bike. Just sayin'.

The 1070 also had similar issue 1050 I haven't even looked at since I'm uninterested in it. So I am sorry I mistook that one thing, but still am right the 1070 had a 3 gig vs 3.5 gig issue for some people I heard. The rest stands, maybe you are right that guy is a schmuck who goes off on power efficiency on AMD only, doesn't change how you reacted to it.

Last edited:
System Name Team Crimson
Processor AMD FX 8320
Cooling Corsair H80i
Let me say that those who make such a big deal about the Power Consumption of the RX 480 and it's Polaris architecture, should be more concerned about the energy footprint of the Tardis:

Processor E5-1680 V2
Storage 500 gb sd
It's either technically 0 because it doesn't really exist, or it's exactly the amount of power used from the first episode till now on every set of every Doctor Who episode or movie.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK
Cooling AMD Wraith Prism
Memory Team Group Dark Pro 8Pack Edition 3600Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 FE
Storage Kingston A2000 1TB + Seagate HDD workhorse
Display(s) Samsung 50" QN94A Neo QLED
Case Antec 1200
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-850
Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma
Keyboard Logitech UltraX
Software Windows 11
AMD once mocked nVidias power consumption, now the tables have turned and it is delicious.

It's a shame AMD and their fans have no class.

Processor E5-1680 V2
Storage 500 gb sd
LOL thanks Fluffmeister, I wondered when or if anyone would jump in and take a side whatever it may be, my guess is you and many others were just laying in the weeds and enjoying the show till we stopped:).

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 1700
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX B350-F GAMING
Cooling CPU - stock AMD Wraith Spire cooler; Case - Noctua NF-A14 PWM x2 in front, stock fan at the back
Memory Galax HOF 3200MHz C14 8Gb x 2
Video Card(s) MSI Radeon RX 6600 XT Gaming X
Storage Crucial MX300 525GB, WD Blue 1TB HD, ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) Eizo EV2451, Samsung SyncMaster 2343BWX
Case Fractual Design Define C Window
Power Supply Corsair RM650i
Mouse Logitech G400s
Keyboard iRocks IRK75M
Software Microsoft Windows 10 Home
Personally I lean towards this card simply because I also need to get a new monitor, and I can get a cheap LG monitor with AMD Freesync instead of those with G Sync.

System Name Team Crimson
Processor AMD FX 8320
Cooling Corsair H80i
Personally I lean towards this card simply because I also need to get a new monitor, and I can get a cheap LG monitor with AMD Freesync instead of those with G Sync.