• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Nightmare Fuel for Intel: Arm CEO Predicts Arm will Take Over 50% Windows PC Market-share by 2029

Hmm, where have I heard predictions like this before...

lol! I always love seeing predictions and seeing how wrong they are with hindsight... Makes me wonder if NVIDIA will really in-fact be the AI leader going forward...sure looks like it but who knows...

System Name YACS amd
Processor 5800x,
Motherboard gigabyte x570 aorus gaming elite.
Cooling bykski GPU, and CPU, syscooling p93x pump
Memory corsair vengeance pro rgb, 3600 ddr4 stock timings.
Video Card(s) xfx merc 310 7900xtx
Storage kingston kc3000 2TB, amongst others. Fanxiang s770 2TB
Display(s) benq ew3270u, or acer XB270hu, acer XB280hk, asus VG 278H,
Case lian li LANCOOL III
Audio Device(s) obs,
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti pro 1000w
Mouse logitech g703
Keyboard durogod keyboard. (cherry brown switches)
Software win 11, win10pro.
and apple will not benefit from this?…

baby steps ARM, when windows on ARM surpasses Apples laptops and iPads, then we can predict when windows on ARM will take over the World.

heck, has linux on ARM laptops (NON-apple chips) have 50% share? (for this argument only count attached displays)

System Name Budget Box
Processor Xeon E5-2667v2
Motherboard ASUS P9X79 Pro
Cooling Some cheap tower cooler, I dunno
Memory 32GB 1866-DDR3 ECC
Video Card(s) XFX RX 5600XT
Storage WD NVME 1GB
Display(s) ASUS Pro Art 27"
Case Antec P7 Neo
lol! I always love seeing predictions and seeing how wrong they are with hindsight... Makes me wonder if NVIDIA will really in-fact be the AI leader going forward...sure looks like it but who knows...
Yeah, and MS was shoveling money into WP at that time. When Surface RT came out, there were a few other players that made WOA tablets, including ones powered by Qualcomm. MS threw a lot of money at WOA tablets back then, too. Maybe it was too soon back then and WOA is finally viable, but so far we just have hype, which is expected. I’m heavily skeptical, especially since MS just laid an egg with its handling of Recall.

Processor i7-4790K 4.6GHz @1.29v
Motherboard ASUS Maximus Hero VII Z97
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S
Memory G. Skill Trident X 2x8GB 2133MHz
Video Card(s) Asus Tuf RTX 3060 V1 FHR (Newegg Shuffle)
Storage OS 120GB Kingston V300, Samsung 850 Pro 512GB , 3TB Hitachi HDD, 2x5TB Toshiba X300, 500GB M.2 @ x2
Display(s) Lenovo y27g 1080p 144Hz
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) AKG Q701's w/ O2+ODAC (Sounds a little bright)
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 850w
Mouse Glorious Model D
Keyboard Rosewill Full Size. Red Switches. Blue Leds. RK-9100xBRE - Hate this. way to big
Software Win10
Benchmark Scores 3DMark FireStrike Score : needs updating
AMD is a bigger and more stable company than intel. And even Qualcomm.

AMD:
View attachment 350734

Qualcomm:
View attachment 350735

intel:
View attachment 350736

Err, they can always continue to make 22 and 32nm products for lower performance devices.
P/E ratio for AMD is 236
Qualcomm 28 P/E
Intel is 32 P/E
Apple is 30 P/E

Market cap is not cash on hand. AMD is highly overvalued on the stock market. I think intel has like 5x the cash on hand vs AMD.

Leiesoldat

lazy gamer & woodworker
Supporter
System Name Arda
Processor AMD Ryzen 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570-I AORUS Pro WiFi
Cooling Custom Loop - Aquacomputer, Optimus, EK, Bykski
Memory GSkill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2x16) DDR4-3200
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC RX 6800XT
Storage SK Hynix P41 1TB
Display(s) VIOTEK 3440 x 1440 144 Hz Curved
Case XTIA Proto-XL
Audio Device(s) Schiit Modius + Schiit Jotunheim
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 850W Titanium
Mouse Xtrfy MZ1 Zy's Rail Wireless
Keyboard Rainkeebs Yasui - Custom 40% Ortholinear
Software Windows 11 Pro
Linus and Luke had a very interesting interview on the WAN Show a couple weeks back with Jim Keller that provided some good information on RISC-V as the dominant architecture within the next decade or so. I encourage people to look that up and have a listen to what Jim Keller talked about. x86 has a lot of legacy baggage attached to it that is bogging down future developments, but as consumers we're not going to notice the architecture backend switch from x86 to RISC-V or ARM if that happens. I know I don't notice any difference going from x86 MacOS to current Apple Silicon MacOS.

Can you explain the failure of this instruction: AVX-512? It turned out to be a power hog, and was abandoned.
Why was that? And what solution does RISC-V have to compute as an alternative?
AVX-512 wasn't a 'failure'. It was the implementation of it that it was a failure at the time due to it causing clocks regressions when it was active(because it consumed too much power).

If someone also did similar featured ISA with same clocks, node and design constraints of Intel, it would have been the same result.

If you look at Emerald Rapids AVX-512 benchmarks by Phoronix, you will see that Intel has no such issues anymore.

System Name Budget Box
Processor Xeon E5-2667v2
Storage WD NVME 1GB
Case Antec P7 Neo
Linus and Luke had a very interesting interview on the WAN Show a couple weeks back with Jim Keller that provided some good information on RISC-V as the dominant architecture within the next decade or so. I encourage people to look that up and have a listen to what Jim Keller talked about. x86 has a lot of legacy baggage attached to it that is bogging down future developments, but as consumers we're not going to notice the architecture backend switch from x86 to RISC-V or ARM if that happens. I know I don't notice any difference going from x86 MacOS to current Apple Silicon MacOS.
What Apple did right was they did the unpopular move of dropping 32bit apps way back with Catalina, and they made the dev kit so that recompiling existing 64bit apps was relatively easy to do. That first move essentially eliminated a lot of legacy stuff that would never get recompiled, and so the jump to Apple Silicon was about as painless as an architecture jump could be.

I think the question for Windows is are they as prepared for this as Apple was. I know 64bit apps are covered, but I don’t know about 32bit, which covers a lot of legacy software, including many classic game engines. The other big unknown is how good Qualcomm is going to be with graphics drivers. No one expects their Mac to really play games, since Mac gaming has never been that popular. Can’t say the same for Windows. Will there be issues playing stuff that similarly priced x86 machines can handle just fine? I don’t doubt that for many basic users, WOA is enough, and might even be ideal, but is that 50% of Windows users? Not so sure about that, and the current crop of Snapdragon X devices aren’t budget priced, so they might be targeting the wrong market from the get go.

Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Motherboard ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PRO (WiFi 6)
Cooling Noctua NH-C14S (two fans)
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3200
Video Card(s) Reference Vega 64
Storage Intel 665p 1TB, WD Black SN850X 2TB, Crucial MX300 1TB SATA, Samsung 830 256 GB SATA
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG27, and Samsung S23A700
Case Fractal Design R5
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME TITANIUM 850W
Mouse Logitech
VR HMD Oculus Rift
Software Windows 11 Pro, and Ubuntu 20.04
What Apple did right was they did the unpopular move of dropping 32bit apps way back with Catalina, and they made the dev kit so that recompiling existing 64bit apps was relatively easy to do. That first move essentially eliminated a lot of legacy stuff that would never get recompiled, and so the jump to Apple Silicon was about as painless as an architecture jump could be.

I think the question for Windows is are they as prepared for this as Apple was. I know 64bit apps are covered, but I don’t know about 32bit, which covers a lot of legacy software, including many classic game engines. The other big unknown is how good Qualcomm is going to be with graphics drivers. No one expects their Mac to really play games, since Mac gaming has never been that popular. Can’t say the same for Windows. Will there be issues playing stuff that similarly priced x86 machines can handle just fine? I don’t doubt that for many basic users, WOA is enough, and might even be ideal, but is that 50% of Windows users? Not so sure about that, and the current crop of Snapdragon X devices aren’t budget priced, so they might be targeting the wrong market from the get go.
Unlike Microsoft, Apple doesn't have to worry about legacy users. In Microsoft's case, dropping 32-bit support would be a mistake as unlike Apple's software, backwards compatibility is a key feature of Windows. You're right about Qualcomm's aspirations not matching the goal of a 50% market share; they seem to be focused on the higher end of the laptop market.

System Name natr0n-PC
Processor Ryzen 5950x-5600x | 9600k
Motherboard B450 AORUS M | Z390 UD
Cooling EK AIO 360 - 6 fan action | AIO
Memory Patriot - Viper Steel DDR4 (B-Die)(4x8GB) | Samsung DDR4 (4x8GB)
Video Card(s) EVGA 3070ti FTW
Storage Various
Display(s) Pixio PX279 Prime
Case Thermaltake Level 20 VT | Black bench
Audio Device(s) LOXJIE D10 + Kinter Amp + 6 Bookshelf Speakers Sony+JVC+Sony
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III ARGB 80+ Gold 650W | EVGA 700 Gold
Software XP/7/8.1/10
Benchmark Scores http://valid.x86.fr/79kuh6
Ah yes, breaking news - coffee shop owner predicts that coffee will overtake water as the most consumed beverage in the world by 20XX. “Chances are good,” he says, “especially considering we have an exclusive agreement with McDonalds to pour coffee into customers cup regardless of their order”.
I am obviously being extremely snarky here, but such predictions are usually based on providing the best optics for shareholders.
Then diabetes and blood pressures increase from that... then medicines profits quadruple. You have henchmen guarding a building of fatcats lighting cigars with 100 bills... Batman is constipated and spider-man has arthritis...My imagination took off.

System Name Firelance.
Processor Threadripper 3960X
Motherboard ROG Strix TRX40-E Gaming
Cooling IceGem 360 + 6x Arctic Cooling P12
Memory 8x 16GB Patriot Viper DDR4-3200 CL16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 4060 Ti Ventus 2X OC
Storage 2TB WD SN850X (boot), 4TB Crucial P3 (data)
Display(s) 3x AOC Q32E2N (32" 2560x1440 75Hz)
Case Enthoo Pro II Server Edition (Closed Panel) + 6 fans
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion+ 2 Platinum 760W
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Razer Pro Type Ultra
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
System Name The Workhorse
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 5900X
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus B550 Pro
Cooling CPU - Noctua NH-D15S Case - 3 Noctua NF-A14 PWM at the bottom, 2 Fractal Design 180mm at the front
Memory GSkill Trident Z 3200CL14
Video Card(s) NVidia GTX 1070 MSI QuickSilver
Storage Adata SX8200Pro
Display(s) LG 32GK850G
Case Fractal Design Torrent
Audio Device(s) FiiO E-10K DAC/Amp, Samson Meteorite USB Microphone
Power Supply Corsair RMx850 (2018)
Mouse Razer Viper (Original)
Keyboard Cooler Master QuickFire Rapid TKL keyboard (Cherry MX Black)
Software Windows 11 Pro (23H2)
LOL, no. Where do you children come up with this nonsense?
I am placing my bets on RISC-V becoming a dominant architecture right about the same time as Linux becomes a dominant desktop OS.

It is going to push arm out of a lot of appliances like washing machines, alarm systems, routers etc where only a fraction of isa extensions are needed for them to run properly.

Assimilator, Intel is going away as the dominant anything in the coming years. You cannot refute what people say just because it's not Intel. Sure, it may not be RISC-V as such things are hard to predict. But what's not hard to predict is the downfall of Intel. They will not be gone but will become a small player in however the industry shakes out in the coming years. Again, don't refute what I'm saying just because I say it will not be Intel. That's not evidence enough. Not anymore. Intel made too many mistakes and the past is no longer relevant in today's environment. Intel cannot come back and other technologies (some present, some yet to be revealed) are now leading the way.

Assimilator, Intel is going away as the dominant anything in the coming years. You cannot refute what people say just because it's not Intel. Sure, it may not be RISC-V as such things are hard to predict. But what's not hard to predict is the downfall of Intel. They will not be gone but will become a small player in however the industry shakes out in the coming years. Again, don't refute what I'm saying just because I say it will not be Intel. That's not evidence enough. Not anymore. Intel made too many mistakes and the past is no longer relevant in today's environment. Intel cannot come back and other technologies (some present, some yet to be revealed) are now leading the way.
And they're getting what hundreds(tens?) of billions of dollars in subsidies for making fabs nearly everywhere in the world? Yeah atm Intel is to US what GM was 20-30 years back, too big to fail!

maximumterror

In the past, AMD's Opteron ARM processors were some of the most commercially unsuccessful products the company has ever launched. Would be interesting how that would pan out today, though.
some sources says completely opposite:
"Customer ignorance of alternatives to the Pentium series further contributed to these designs being comparatively unsuccessful, despite the fact that the K5 had very good Pentium compatibility and the 6x86 was significantly faster than the Pentium on integer code.[j] AMD later managed to grow into a serious contender with the K6 set of processors, which gave way to the very successful Athlon and Opteron"

Bit to pessimistic about intel there They are employing a lot of very smart people and are using the same technology TSMC is.
there is nothing that makes one a better company than the other

Also TSMC has had it's own pitfalls over the years never mind Samsung

System Name Budget Box
Processor Xeon E5-2667v2
Storage WD NVME 1GB
Case Antec P7 Neo
I think we need to see how Intel's tile approach pans out. I think they might be on to something there, even if it's just mobile. After all, so far Qualcomm is only threatening in this ultra mobile space, and Arrow Lake could be better. I've yet to see a passively cooled SDX model too. Are they even possible? If not, then I'm not all that impressed. So far, only Apple has been able to pull off a passively-cooled laptop that doesn't suck, even when it heats up.

Well I'm pretty sure Apple power limits the chips on Macbook Air, I have the M2 mini & even with a smallish fan it can get hot/loud in stress tests or benchmarks. You can get it past 90C relatively easily, with VM as well. If Intel/AMD throttle their best chips they can get close to the "Apple" effect just with lower ST scores!

there is nothing that makes one a better company than the other
Exactly. Here is the best CPU market share prediction across all segments after the next 5-6 years:

Intel 11%
AMD 11%
Apple 11%
Qualcomm 11%
Mediatek 11%
Nvidia 11%
Other ARM 11%
Other RISC-V 11%
Unknown future tech 11%
Pie 1%

Error +/- 11%

For a company that use to have >90% market share across all segments, this is extremely, extremely bad for Intel even under increases in TAM (total addressable market).

System Name "Icy Resurrection"
Processor 13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900KS Special Edition
Motherboard ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 APEX ENCORE
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S upgraded with 2x NF-F12 iPPC-3000 fans and Honeywell PTM7950 TIM
Memory 32 GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB F5-6800J3445G16GX2-TZ5RK @ 7600 MT/s 36-44-44-52-96 1.4V
Video Card(s) ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX™ 4080 16GB GDDR6X White OC Edition
Storage 500 GB WD Black SN750 SE NVMe SSD + 4 TB WD Red Plus WD40EFPX HDD
Display(s) 55-inch LG G3 OLED
Case Pichau Mancer CV500 White Edition
Power Supply EVGA 1300 G2 1.3kW 80+ Gold
Mouse Microsoft Classic Intellimouse
Keyboard Generic PS/2
Software Windows 11 IoT Enterprise LTSC 24H2
Benchmark Scores I pulled a Qiqi~
some sources says completely opposite:
"Customer ignorance of alternatives to the Pentium series further contributed to these designs being comparatively unsuccessful, despite the fact that the K5 had very good Pentium compatibility and the 6x86 was significantly faster than the Pentium on integer code.[j] AMD later managed to grow into a serious contender with the K6 set of processors, which gave way to the very successful Athlon and Opteron"

I specifically meant the Opteron ARM chips, not the Opteron (now EPYC) server processor line in itself. Did you ask ChatGPT that? LOL

That reminds me, most Optys are hella cheap these days. Not sure about the motherboards though, but makes for a super fun quad-socket build.

System Name Jedi Survivor Gaming PC
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus TUF B650M Plus Wifi
Cooling ThermalRight CPU Cooler
Memory G.Skill 32GB DDR5-5600 CL28
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 3080 10GB
Storage 2TB Samsung 990 Pro SSD
Display(s) MSI 32" 4K OLED 240hz Monitor
Case Asus Prime AP201
Power Supply FSP 1000W Platinum PSU
Mouse Logitech G403
Keyboard Asus Mechanical Keyboard
Their main miscalculation is the lack of GPU power. The #1 reason people buy new PCs or laptops is for GPU performance, not CPU performance.

They need to double their iGPU to really tempt most of the market.

NVidia is king, not Intel. But you don't beat Intel unless you provide a GPU option.

Nvidia + Qualcomm might work, but better to double the Qualcomm GPU instead, as soon as possible.

I feel like they used all the die space for the NPU and cut the GPU back too much as a consequence.

Apple's number one problem is lack of ram and storage. Qualcomm's is lack of GPU power.

Intel and AMD still have the ram, the storage, the GPU. The things people want. The entire package.

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs, 24TB Enterprise drives
Display(s) 55" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
As a diehard DIY PC enthusiast, I want what you want. But workloads and storage are moving to the cloud, for the majority of the planet, a smartphone is the only ‘computer’ most will ever own and once an industry goes super mainstream, boutique parts are relegated to hobbiests.

In the future, discrete GPUs for desktops, consumer purchaseable socketed CPUs and other DIY parts will become antiques as the computing world moves to wearables, ‘dumb terminals’ that fit in your pocket and massive super computing arrays.

Having to sit in a stationary position (desk) while interacting with a piece of plastic (mouse) to use a box connected with wires (desktop) will look barbaric to users in the not so distant future.
As a user of smartphones, cloud data entry on a smartphone is retarded. At the minimum a thin client is needed to run spreadsheets or data entry, and usually a larger screen.

Once I see a 15 inch truly instant on tablet with a good keyboard (10 key required) that also has good battery life, a bright screen, and doesn't lag when two or three tabs and a couple programs are open....

I have a S22 and Iphone 15 Pro, even with a link to the cloud spreadsheets it's slow, so slow I choose to use my work laptop or PC 95% of the time.

RISC is a chosen bunch of acceleration units on a chip, no more power efficient than a X86-64 chip with the same acceleration parts.