• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Noctua NH-D15 G2

ARF

I do not know if many of you commenters noticed that the cooler body vibrates and a fin buzzes. I have never seen any cooler with a buzzing fin before.

I compared the vibrations with each one and both fans running and one fan seems to vibrate more. So the fans you are complimenting so much can be faulty.

These can be harmonics.

BTW, they can improve the fins stack by making them from copper, thicker, and with more spaces in-between.

Ruru

S.T.A.R.S.
System Name 4K-gaming
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite
Cooling Arctic Freezer 50
Memory 48GB Kingston DDR4-3200C16
Video Card(s) Asus GeForce RTX 3080 TUF OC 10GB
Storage ~3TB SSDs + 6TB external HDDs
Display(s) Acer 27" 4K120 IPS + Lenovo 32" 4K60 IPS
Case Corsair 4000D Airflow White
Audio Device(s) Asus TUF H3 Wireless
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse Logitech MX518 + Asus TUF P1 mousepad
Keyboard Roccat Vulcan 121 AIMO
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores It runs Crysis
@Ruru
Like two thirds of the price ARE the fans. The heatsink itself is much of muchness with the old NH-D15/S. “Core” version would be grabbing one of those used and slapping the new fans on when they come out this Fall, I would think. Or doing the same with a TR cooler, I guess.
Here the fans are like half the price :D

System Name Mean machine
Processor 12900k
Motherboard MSI Unify X
Cooling Noctua U12A
Memory 7600c34
Video Card(s) 4090 Gamerock oc
Storage 980 pro 2tb
Display(s) Samsung crg90
Case Fractal Torent
Audio Device(s) Hifiman Arya / a30 - d30 pro stack
Power Supply Be quiet dark power pro 1200
Mouse Viper ultimate
Keyboard Blackwidow 65%
@Ruru
Like two thirds of the price ARE the fans. The heatsink itself is much of muchness with the old NH-D15/S. “Core” version would be grabbing one of those used and slapping the new fans on when they come out this Fall, I would think. Or doing the same with a TR cooler, I guess.
Oh I agree, I wasn't implying that noctua coolers outlast the completion (although they kinda do whne it comes to fans and socket updates) but that essentially a 100 euros extra for a product that is going to last a lifetime isn't such a big consideration.

System Name Best AMD Computer
Processor AMD 7900X3D
Motherboard Asus X670E E Strix
Cooling In Win SR36
Memory GSKILL DDR5 32GB 5200 30
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 7900XT (Watercooled)
Storage Corsair MP 700, Seagate 530 2Tb, Adata SX8200 2TBx2, Kingston 2 TBx2, Micron 8 TB, WD AN 1500
Display(s) GIGABYTE FV43U
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Corsair Void Pro, Logitch Z523 5.1
Power Supply Deepcool 1000M
Mouse Logitech g7 gaming mouse
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 11 Pro 64 Steam. GOG, Uplay, Origin
Benchmark Scores Firestrike: 46183 Time Spy: 25121
Noctua have never been about value. This is the best air cooler you can buy and the graphs confirm it. You can't use more than 1 cooler on a CPU, so the amount of coolers you can get for this is somewhat irrelevant. This cooler was never going to be about value, it was about Noctua engineering the very best air cooler, and they achieved that.

You're paying for the engineering that has gone into making this the best air cooler you can buy(R&D isn't cheap). You're also paying for top notch customer support, and if the past is anything to go by, future socket support at no-cost. That being said, this costs a bit too much with how close to the competition it is. I think a more reasonable price would be $100-130, and I think it'll get down to that ~$130 within the year.
But the difference is less than 2 degrees vs Thermalright in every chart in the review. With the rise of core components in price, splurging on a CPU cooler is not as popular as before and cases have multiple Rad support because we have gone to AIOs anyway. Otherwise I would still have my Raven 02.

System Name DadsBadAss
Processor I7 13700k w/ HEATKILLER IV PRO Copper Nickel
Motherboard MSI Z790 Tomahawk Wifi DDR4
Cooling BarrowCH Boxfish 200mm-HWLabs SR2 420/GTX&GTS 360-BP Dual D5 MOD TOP- 2x Koolance PMP 450S
Memory 4x8gb HyperX Predator RGB DDR4 4000
Video Card(s) Asrock 6800xt PG D w/ Byski A-AR6900XT-X
Storage WD SN850x 1TB NVME M.2/Adata XPG SX8200 PRO 1TB NVMe M.2
Display(s) Acer XG270HU
Case ThermalTake X71 w/5 Noctua NF-A14 2000 IP67 PWM/3 Noctua NF-F12 2000 IP67 PWM/3 CorsairML120 Pro RGB
Audio Device(s) Klipsch Promedia 2.1
Power Supply Seasonic Focus PX-850 w/CableMod PRO ModMesh RT-Series Black/Blue
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Black Aluminun Mechanical Clicky Thing With Blue LEDs, hows that for a name?!
Software Win11pro
It's not 2014. The CPU cooling market has changed drastically from the days of only two or three really solid heatsinks. There are more excellent cooler choices than ever now. Hence, more and more people treat cooler purchases like disposables, they no longer reuse them build after build. With so many great cooler choices available now, people regularly buy a matching heatsink or AIO to fit their next new build/aesthetic. More so now than ever with the growing popularity of rgb, glass panels and AIOs (despite what we old fogies try to profess). The days of plain aluminum heatsinks have been coming to a close for many years now.

HTC

System Name HTC's System
Processor Ryzen 5 5800X3D
Motherboard Asrock Taichi X370
Cooling NH-C14, with the AM4 mounting kit
Memory G.Skill Kit 16GB DDR4 F4 - 3200 C16D - 16 GTZB
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 6600 8 GB
Storage 1 Samsung NVMe 960 EVO 250 GB + 1 3.5" Seagate IronWolf Pro 6TB 7200RPM 256MB SATA III
Display(s) LG 27UD58
Case Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair TX 850M 80+ Gold
Mouse Razer Deathadder Elite
Software Ubuntu 20.04.6 LTS
So you presume that Noctua will still exist in the next decades and supply several mounting uprages for their decades old coolers? And do you really believe that those plastic fans will last for decades?

What would they sell if they were only supporting their old coolers?

My current cooler is from 2011 (or 2010??), so "it wasn't made with AM4 in mind".

It was discontinued FOR YEARS when i applied for the AM4 mounting kit AND i had misplaced the invoice, but Noctua STILL sent an AM4 mounting kit FREE OF CHARGE, after doing the necessary steps.

I'm not saying they don't exist, but i've yet to HEAR about Noctua and "bad customer support" in the same sentence, even once.

That said, would i buy NH-D15 G2 @ THIS price? Like i sad earlier in the topic, ABSOLUTELY NOT.

Last edited:
The days of plain aluminum heatsinks have been coming to a close for many years now.
I believe this open design does not help with performance either. For example modern looking cooler as Deepcool Assassin IV looks 1000% better and probably performs better as well, thanks to its closed design an no air escaping where it should not be.

ARF

I believe this open design does not help with performance either. For example modern looking cooler as Deepcool Assassin IV looks 1000% better and probably performs better as well, thanks to its closed design an no air escaping where it should not be.

Focused, directed airflow is extremely important. I guess noctua is extremely overhyped, and its coolers' aerodynamic characteristics are poor, with disturbances and turbulences which worsen the temperatures.
Not to mention that extremely aggressive brown colour, which doesn't fit to anything anywhere seen.

System Name The Workhorse
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 5900X
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus B550 Pro
Cooling CPU - Noctua NH-D15S Case - 3 Noctua NF-A14 PWM at the bottom, 2 Fractal Design 180mm at the front
Memory GSkill Trident Z 3200CL14
Video Card(s) NVidia GTX 1070 MSI QuickSilver
Storage Adata SX8200Pro
Display(s) LG 32GK850G
Case Fractal Design Torrent
Audio Device(s) FiiO E-10K DAC/Amp, Samson Meteorite USB Microphone
Power Supply Corsair RMx850 (2018)
Mouse Razer Viper (Original)
Keyboard Cooler Master QuickFire Rapid TKL keyboard (Cherry MX Black)
Software Windows 11 Pro (23H2)
Doesn’t seem so.
1721399284148.png

• Haha
Reactions: ARF

ARF

Doesn’t seem so.

The graph doesn't measure the true efficiency, yes, the cooler is big, bulky, and with its extreme raw power it manages to somehow beat the others by a degree... :kookoo:

Cooling CPU - Noctua NH-D15S Case - 3 Noctua NF-A14 PWM at the bottom, 2 Fractal Design 180mm at the front
Storage Adata SX8200Pro
Display(s) LG 32GK850G
@ARF
What the hell is “true efficiency” when talking about coolers? What, heat load capacity per gram of weight? Per square cm of surface area? Because yes, in this regard air coolers are inherently limited and suffer from diminishing returns in size. In this regard, single tower 120-140mm coolers would technically probably be “most efficient”.
Assassin IV has the same weight as the D15 G2 though and is barely smaller, so I am not sure what your point is.

System Name Mean machine
Processor 12900k
Motherboard MSI Unify X
Cooling Noctua U12A
Memory 7600c34
Video Card(s) 4090 Gamerock oc
Storage 980 pro 2tb
Display(s) Samsung crg90
Case Fractal Torent
Audio Device(s) Hifiman Arya / a30 - d30 pro stack
Power Supply Be quiet dark power pro 1200
Mouse Viper ultimate
Keyboard Blackwidow 65%
@ARF
What the hell is “true efficiency” when talking about coolers? What, heat load capacity per gram of weight? Per square cm of surface area? Because yes, in this regard air coolers are inherently limited and suffer from diminishing returns in size. In this regard, single tower 120-140mm coolers would technically probably be “most efficient”.
Assassin IV has the same weight as the D15 G2 though and is barely smaller, so I am not sure what your point is.
But assassin looks better therfore it's more efficient. Or something

HTC

System Name HTC's System
Storage 1 Samsung NVMe 960 EVO 250 GB + 1 3.5" Seagate IronWolf Pro 6TB 7200RPM 256MB SATA III
Display(s) LG 27UD58
Audio Device(s) Onboard

The problem with this chart is the "noise normalized" bit: some coolers don't show their TRUE performance because they produce A LOT MORE NOISE to do it.

Instead, the review should show the MAX performance of the coolers, the % they had relative to the reviewed cooler (like it currently has) AND the noise they made to reach that performance right next to it (in % of the reviewed cooler).

ALSO, there should be some way for the reader to know IMMEDIATELY if the cooler is an air cooler or not WITHOUT knowing specific cooler names: different shade of color, perhaps?

For example, i look @ ... say ... "Endorfy Fortis 5 Dual Fan" and i don't know if it's an air cooler or not FROM THE NAME ALONE.

My 2 cents.

Last edited:
Processor Ryzen 7800x3d
Motherboard Asus X670E Gene
Cooling Alphacool LT 360
Memory G.Skill DDR5, 64 GB, 6000MHz, CL30
Video Card(s) ASROCK Radeon RX 7900 XTX Taichi OC 24GB
Storage Crucial T700 1 TB + Kingston Fury Renegate 2 TB
Display(s) TV Monitor-SamsungQe65q70R. Asus Rog Strix G 713 Qr RTX3070
Case Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X
Audio Device(s) Fiio K7 + Sivga sv023 + Fiio fh5s pro + Fiio m11plus / Airpulse A100 + Mogami 2549 z Amphenol 150
Power Supply Seasonic Vertex PX-1200
Mouse Rival 650 wireless + Rival Aerox5 Diablo IV edition + Logitech G 502 wireless + Qck hard pad
Keyboard Corsair K63 Blue Led Wireless + Lapboard
Software Win10 pro/ 64
Yes, spend 150 euros and fix it:banghead:, good :laugh:. Bubble and that's it, so they didn't check and test it? 150 euros plus silicone and other crap to make it work hehehe :respect:.

Storage Adata SX8200Pro
Display(s) LG 32GK850G
Instead, the review should show the MAX performance of the coolers, the % they had relative to the reviewed cooler (like it currently has) AND the noise they made to reach that performance right next to it (in % of the reviewed cooler).
There is a reason why reviews went the way of db normalized results - because this actually does exactly what you suggest. It shows the true performance of the whole package (HS and fans) on a specified thermal load while also having an averaging measurement via said normalized db. It actually shows what the cooler can do in reasonable use. Just posting maximum possible performance at max RPM is functionally useless. It will just show what everyone knows already - a fan running at a bajillion RPM can salvage even a mediocre HS/radiator design. The best then becomes “the most surface area with the highest airflow/pressure fan at most RPM” which is of little practical consideration. Nobody sane (or at least not many) are running their coolers full tilt. The question for the end-user is “how cool can this get my CPU while being reasonably quiet”. Which is exactly what noise normalized charts reflect.

HTC

System Name HTC's System
Display(s) LG 27UD58
Audio Device(s) Onboard
It actually shows what the cooler can do in reasonable use. Just posting maximum possible performance at max RPM is functionally useless. It will just show what everyone knows already - a fan running at a bajillion RPM can salvage even a mediocre HS/radiator design.

It's supposed to show the highest OUT OF THE BOX performance of the coolers: NOT what the coolers can do AFTER being modified in any way (changed fans, for example).

Reactions: ARF

ARF

Just posting maximum possible performance at max RPM is functionally useless.

You probably forget overclocking, and some extreme CPU utilisation cases (high ambient temperature, mining sessions, computing, Furmark, stress tests, you name it) during which that is the thing that matters.

@ARF

Too much aluminium, too high volume, too few heat pipes. When it is the heat pipes which carry the heat away.
You need a heatsink with less fins, but with more copper heat pipes..

Storage Adata SX8200Pro
Display(s) LG 32GK850G
It's supposed to show the highest OUT OF THE BOX performance of the coolers: NOT what the coolers can do AFTER being modified in any way (changed fans, for example).
No fans are being changed. Nothing is modified. I am not sure what you think the test is. The reviews, TPUs among them, lays out the methodology quite clearly and provides all results - noise normalized, peak RPM, noise produced and all that at several set TDP targets. The overall performance summary is made using noise normalized results summed up, which makes sense for accuracy. I am not sure why you are confused.

You probably forget overclocking, and some extreme CPU utilisation cases (high ambient temperature, mining sessions, computing, Furmark, stress tests, you name it) during which that is the thing that matters.
Irrelevant in practice. Again, @crazyeyesreaper has his methodology layed out in this very review and all of the reasonings for it. Just read it.

ARF

ALSO, there should be some way for the reader to know IMMEDIATELY if the cooler is an air cooler or not WITHOUT knowing specific cooler names: different shade of color, perhaps?

I get what you want to say.
The thing is that it is heat pipes vs. direct liquid cooling, and the performance of the two methods is relatively close.

Gamers Nexus states in 200W AMD full speed test that DC Ass. IV is better than all these new Noctuas. For almost half the price. Just saying.

ARF

Maybe they next need to innovate in direction of using freon gas, and direct refrigerator means, Peltier element, and AirJet.

HTC

System Name HTC's System
Display(s) LG 27UD58
Audio Device(s) Onboard
No fans are being changed. Nothing is modified. I am not sure what you think the test is. The reviews, TPUs among them, lays out the methodology quite clearly and provides all results - noise normalized, peak RPM, noise produced and all that at several set TDP targets. The overall performance summary is made using noise normalized results summed up, which makes sense for accuracy. I am not sure why you are confused.

Irrelevant in practice. Again, @crazyeyesreaper has his methodology layed out in this very review and all of the reasonings for it. Just read it.

In the performance summary section, i was thinking more along the lines of THREE charts, using these three "variables", and ordering the charts by them:

The closer a cooler is from being the best IN ALL THREE charts, the better it is. I SERIOUSLY DOUBT any cooler leads IN ALL THREE, but they can be CLOSE to the top in all of them, no?

I get what you want to say.
The thing is that it is heat pipes vs. direct liquid cooling, and the performance of the two methods is relatively close.

How close the performance of air or AIO coolers is, is irrelevant.

Many people simply AVOID any AIOs, while others prefer them.

Having a way to tell if it's an air cooler or an AIO without being familiar with the product (like the example i gave) is a plus, no?

Last edited:
Storage Adata SX8200Pro
Display(s) LG 32GK850G
@HTC
Ah, I see. You could probably petition the reviewer for something like that. I don’t think it would be too useful overall, but I suppose no harm. But there is a correlation - the G2 is the best air cooler in noise normalized results AND the best at peak RPM at highest set TDP. So there at least everything lines up nicely.

Reactions: HTC

ARF

How close the performance of air or AIO coolers is, is irrelevant.

There is no simply "air" cooling. Its name is wrong. It's heat pipes cooling based on boiling and condensation vs. heat transfer from hot to cold object/thermal equilibrium.

Many people simply AVOID any AIOs, while others prefer them.

Because of the risk fear.

Having a way to tell if it's an air cooler or an AIO without being familiar with the product (like the example i gave) is a plus, no?

It is a plus, but physically not possible at this level of heat pipes coolers development.

@HTC
Ah, I see. You could probably petition the reviewer for something like that. I don’t think it would be too useful overall, but I suppose no harm. But there is a correlation - the G2 is the best air cooler in noise normalized results AND the best at peak RPM at highest set TDP. So there at least everything lines up nicely.

Yeah, and the perfromance per dollar graph it also wins, so that the top one is 475% better.

Reactions: HTC

HTC

System Name HTC's System
Display(s) LG 27UD58
Audio Device(s) Onboard
@HTC

Imagine a cooler leads in two but it's REALLY CRAPPY in the last: would you prefer it over another that ... say ... is 3rd in one, 5th in another, and 4th in the last?

It's an hypothetical, but i think you can see what i'm getting @.

Forgot one IMPORTANT "variable": price. So it's FOUR charts, instead of three.

On this last "variable", it's safe to say NH-D15 G2 would be "far from the top".