• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

NVIDIA SLI GeForce RTX 2080 Ti and RTX 2080 with NVLink

Tatty_Two

Gone Fishing
Processor Intel Core i9 11900KF @ -075mV PL max @225w
Motherboard MSI MAG Z490 TOMAHAWK
Cooling DeepCool LS520SE Liquid + 3 Phanteks 140mm case fans
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB SR) Patriot Viper Steel Bdie @ 3600Mhz CL14 1.45v Gear 1
Video Card(s) Asus Dual RTX 4070 OC + 8% PL
Storage WD Blue SN550 1TB M.2 NVME//Crucial MX500 500GB SSD (OS)
Display(s) AOC Q2781PQ 27 inch Ultra Slim 2560 x 1440 IPS
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Windowed - Gunmetal
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek ALC1200/SPDIF to Sony AVR @ 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic CORE GM650w Gold Semi modular
Software Win 11 Home x64
What are you talking about ? Scaling has everything to do with the PCI-E Bus. The big question was if NVLink would alleviate it when in 8x/8x, which there is evidence to confirm that it does not. (Example: check out the GamersNexus reviews)
Yes it has everything to do with the PCI-E bus but of course it will be limited by the NVlink protocol, I agree scaling is poor which is clear in the review but the link has improved things, just not enough.

cars10

but the link has improved things

Hard to say, because we can't test it on Pascal cards nor HB-SLI on Turing cards. It may just be future proofing or allowing for people to use the NVLink advantages in compute applications like sharing RAM.

Either way, for gaming, this review is severely skewered and readers should be advised of such, especially since it was already known that 2080Ti saturates an 3.0 8x link by itself.

Tatty_Two

Gone Fishing
Software Win 11 Home x64
Well to be fair, unless the enthusiast has money to burn I doubt there will be many even considering spending all that cash for the return they will get on that 2nd card.

cars10

Well to be fair, unless the enthusiast has money to burn I doubt there will be many even considering spending all that cash for the return they will get on that 2nd card.

I don't think that is fair. That is the whole point of review sites, to show you the full picture so you can decide what to spend on.
By that logic, a TITAN RTX or TITAN RTX SLI review would be pointless, because the enthusiast doesn't have that kind of money to spend.
And to add more fallacy to it: in this review they are already spending THOUSANDS just for the two 2080 TI's! Are you kidding me? As if the additional cost to the HEDT platform would then tip the iceberg.

Your excuse is poor at best. Instead of debating with me, you should be hitting up the editors informing them of the misinformation they are spreading.
Else I must take it upon myself to inform the public and discredit your otherwise great site and reputation.

Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar b650m wifi
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin
Memory 32GB Corsair Vengeance 30CL6000
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Lexar NM790 4TB + Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial BX100 250GB
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Lian Li A3 mATX White
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W11 IoT Enterprise LTSC
I don't think that is fair. That is the whole point of review sites, to show you the full picture so you can decide what to spend on.
By your logic, a TITAN RTX or TITAN RTX SLI review would be pointless, because the enthusiast doesn't have that kind of money to spend.
And to add more fallacy to that logic: they are already spending THOUSANDS just for the two 2080 TI's! Are you kidding me? As if the additional cost to the HEDT platform would then tip the iceberg.

Your excuse is poor at best. Instead of debating with me, you should be hitting up the editors informing them of the misinformation they are spreading.
Else I must take it upon myself to inform the public and discredit your otherwise great site and reputation.

Cant say I agree. SLI on this card is a monumental waste of money and more importantly, it is a niche within a niche and youre adding HEDT on top of that. Where does the amount of configs to test end? If the market share for that use case is more than 0.05% I would be surprised. Totally not interesting to spend time on.

As for PCIe bus scaling, TPU does revisit that every so often. Perhaps that is the place for such a test. But in regular reviews? Meh

cars10

Cant say I agree. SLI on this card is a monumental waste of money and more importantly, it is a niche within a niche. If the market share for that use case is more than 0.05% I would be surprised. Totally not interesting to spend time on.

As for PCIe bus scaling, TPU does revisit that every so often. Perhaps that is the place for such a test. But in regular reviews? Meh

That is besides the point. It doesn't matter what you agree with, because the fact of the matter is this IS a review ABOUT the "niche within a niche".
Market share or whatever, they already SPENT the time on it. It is DONE. And it is inaccurate.
Debating that is pointless.

As for it being a waste of money, that is entirely subjective and up to the user. Some say gaming by itself is a waste of money!
If you want to max out the best monitors out there, like the ASUS PG27UQ that does 4k @ 144Hz or the new ones from CES 2019 (>4k 175Hz), you absolutely NEED 2080 TI SLI, as you won't get anywhere near that with just one (in games that support SLI, ofc).

If my argumentation is too vicious for you and your members, Tatty_one, I would appreciate it if you could pass along the info up the chain so I can rest my campaign ;)

Last edited:

Tatty_Two

Gone Fishing
Software Win 11 Home x64
That is besides the point. It doesn't matter what you agree with, because the fact of the matter is this IS a review ABOUT the "niche within a niche".
Market share or whatever, they already SPENT the time on it. It is DONE. And it is inaccurate.
Debating that is pointless.

As for it being a waste of money, that is entirely subjective and up to the user. Some say gaming by itself is a waste of money!
If you want to max out the best monitors out there, like the ASUS PG27UQ that does 4k @ 144Hz or the new ones from CES 2019 (>4k 175Hz), you absolutely NEED 2080 TI SLI, as you won't get anywhere near that with just one (in games that support SLI, ofc).

If my argumentation is too vicious for you and your members, Tatty_one, I would appreciate it if you could pass along the info up the chain so I can rest my campaign;)

This is kindergarten fluffy bunny stuff compared with some here so don't worry, as for "passing up the chain", it's a 4 month old review so your "campaign" is clearly on catchup. :)

cars10

This is kindergarten fluffy bunny stuff compared with some here so don't worry, as for "passing up the chain", it's a 4 month old review so your "campaign" is clearly on catchup. :)
Haha, ok. I thought I was shadowbanned since nothing was posting anymore.

The 4 month part is my fault. I didn't bother to double check the test setup and assumed everything was in order.

Saint-Gamer

Could the combination of 2-Way NVLink RTX 2080 with I7 6900k on Rampage v edition 10 Mobo produce any sort of bottleneck while gaming or rendering? Those will be paired with 16GB 3000MHz Ram.

cars10

Could the combination of 2-Way NVLink RTX 2080 with I7 6900k on Rampage v edition 10 Mobo produce any sort of bottleneck while gaming or rendering? Those will be paired with 16GB 3000MHz Ram.

of course. for gaming clockspeed is still top. ideally you would want the 9900k, but with 32 pcie lanes. since you can't get both (which is completely retarded), you'd have to overclock the i7 9800x for example

Saint-Gamer

of course. for gaming clockspeed is still top. ideally you would want the 9900k, but with 32 pcie lanes. since you can't get both (which is completely retarded), you'd have to overclock the i7 9800x for example
Well... I have overclocked my I7 6900K to 4GHz it's should work fine with 2-Way RTX 2080? , however. someone told me you could experience only bottleneck on 1080p resolution, but in 2k or 4k. I will never experience anything like bottleneck.

stuartiannaylor

Its sort of strange after a review on nvlink and what it is so many have commented on pci-e limitations.

I am more optimistic about future nvlink compatibility and scaling than currently the RTX bit of technology in these cards.

If you have a game that is comapatible with Nvlink then scaling is good, if not then DX12 will flood pci-e 3.0.
People need to wise up about forced bottlenecks with multi-gpu that would allow a scaling upgrade equivalent to a 2 gen upgrade.
We should be asking why is this not better and why are developers not implementing and not this BS that they don't have the time.

Bad scaling is enforced so that you have to spend $ on a new GPU.