• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

PC shuts off with 2 sticks of ram after installing Ryzen 5 5600x

stinnergfx

So I've had this low spec pc since 2018, and I've gradually started replacing components. I started with the gpu (RTX 2060 Super) then i added 2 kingston fury 8gb sticks of ram, and recently, I've replaced the cpu from a ryzen 5 2400g, to a 5 5600x and thats when the problems started ocurring.

During any point where I get high memory usage, either through gaming or using ram demanding software like premiere pro, my pc just shuts off with a kernel 41 error in the event viewer. The temps that I logged during shutdown were as normal as they can get, and stress tests all pass flawlessly except the memory test. memtest along with the occt built in memory stress test have both made my pc shut off quickly after starting them. This never happened with my previous CPU.

Important thing to note, while having 1 stick of ram installed, everything works fine, no matter which slot its in, except that its awfully debilitating and i cant do any work with 8gbs of ram. The only component I still haven't changed is my old mobo, which is an asrock a320m-dvs r3.0. Also worth noting, I have a chieftec gpc-700s PSU, which I've heard to be absolute dogshit, however, could it be possible that it's failing considering I haven't even had it for a full year, and to add onto it, only after installing the new cpu?

The mobo bios was updated to support the vermeer processors, however i still suspect it to be the culprit of this whole thing considering its very old and definitely not amongst the better motherboards out there. As of right now, Im willing to bite the bullet for at least one of the 2, considering that im currently not financially able to replace both, but I'd like to replace the thing causing this issue. Messing with the xmp profiles did nothing, if anything, manually adjusting the voltages makes my pc crash before it even fully boots.

From a software standpoint, I've tried virtually anything i possibly could, no hyperbole, the only thing i have left is replacing everything till it stops happening, but as im currently not able to do so, i wanna find out precisely whats causing it so i can at least deal with it. If anyone has any idea, please let me know, I'll provide all the information necessary, thank you.

Both the motherboard (and its BIOS) and CPU are variables in whether a given memory configuration will be stable, along with the RAM itself.

That being said, it's not usual to go from an older CPU to a newer one, often with a better IMC, and see a once-stable memory configuration become unstable.

Testing one DIMM and in both slots rules out that the fault is with the motherboard, the RAM, or with a particular memory channel. It could still be the CPU.

Before jumping to that conclusion, update the BIOS (nevermind, you said you did this). Then, try running the system with both DIMMs at default/JEDEC speeds (not XMP/profile speeds). Knowing what exact RAM you have might be helpful here too.

The A320 is the entry level of the first generation AM4 chipsets. The motherboards, CPUs, and RAM from that time wouldn't run as fast as they did later. I'm wondering if it was stable before because the RAM was running at slower speeds? The Zen 3 IMC in the 5000 series CPUs is much better than the Zen/Zen+ IMC found in the 1000 and 2000 series CPUs, so maybe you were running at JEDEC before and now you're trying profile speeds? But Zen 2/3 (3000 and 5000 series) should be good for 3,600 MHz (officially, they're good for 3,200 MHz with two DIMMs, at least if they're single rank) so unless you're trying something truly exotic speed-wise and were just running at 2,133 MHz with the 2400G, then... I have no idea why it went from stable to unstable with the CPU change unless the 5600X is just faulty? It's rare but it can happen.

Did you by chance updates the BIOS and immediately swap the CPU? I ask because I'm wondering if the new BIOS would be stable with the old CPU now. it's possible it wouldn't be. Usually new BIOS improve memory compatibility/capability, but apparently sometimes it slightly goes the other way. That might have happened here?

The PSU isn't reassuring but I wouldn't expect your issues are there, given the symptoms.

stinnergfx

Both the motherboard (and its BIOS) and CPU are variables in whether a given memory configuration will be stable, along with the RAM itself.

That being said, it's not usual to go from an older CPU to a newer one, often with a better IMC, and see a once-stable memory configuration become unstable.

Testing one DIMM and in both slots rules out that the fault is with the motherboard, the RAM, or with a particular memory channel. It could still be the CPU.

Before jumping to that conclusion, update the BIOS (nevermind, you said you did this). Then, try running the system with both DIMMs at default/JEDEC speeds (not XMP/profile speeds). Knowing what exact RAM you have might be helpful here too.

The A320 is the entry level of the first generation AM4 chipsets. The motherboards, CPUs, and RAM from that time wouldn't run as fast as they did later. I'm wondering if it was stable before because the RAM was running at slower speeds? The Zen 3 IMC in the 5000 series CPUs is much better than the Zen/Zen+ IMC found in the 1000 and 2000 series CPUs, so maybe you were running at JEDEC before and now you're trying profile speeds? But Zen 2/3 (3000 and 5000 series) should be good for 3,600 MHz (officially, they're good for 3,200 MHz with two DIMMs, at least if they're single rank) so unless you're trying something truly exotic speed-wise and were just running at 2,133 MHz with the 2400G, then... I have no idea why it went from stable to unstable with the CPU change unless the 5600X is just faulty? It's rare but it can happen.

Did you by chance updates the BIOS and immediately swap the CPU? I ask because I'm wondering if the new BIOS would be stable with the old CPU now. it's possible it wouldn't be. Usually new BIOS improve memory compatibility/capability, but apparently sometimes it slightly goes the other way. That might have happened here?

The PSU isn't reassuring but I wouldn't expect your issues are there, given the symptoms.
this is the exact model of my ram

(Kingston DDR4 8GB 3200MHz KF432C16BB/8)​

Now ive heard that cpus can come with a faulty imc, but i’m really not sure, it’s brand new so i didn’t even think that it could be causing the issue, that would be the worst case scenario i guess.

I didn’t really tamper with anything in relation to ram speeds and voltage at first, so they were at their default speeds, it’s only when that started happening is when i was manually adjusting everything and trying stuff with the xmp profiles. I’m not really an expert when it comes to that so i didn’t do much regarding that besides trying the xmp profiles and undervolting the ram, i think it’s rated for 1.35v.

And to answer your question, it ran totally fine before the cpu change, it probably defaulted to like 2400mhz because i was running 2 different ram sticks. but i hoped that having 2 of the same ones that it wouldn’t cause issues in communication between them.

To be completely honest, i think i updated the bios and cleared the cmos because i saw that the version i had, was not able to run that generation of cpus, and i immediately swapped the cpu, i didn’t try the old cpu with the newer bios. It was the latest “stable” version of that bios as far as i can remember, i’m not home currently but i can check later.