• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

PowerColor Factory Tour

Space Lynx

Astronaut
I'm surprised this factory is brand new, considering it still uses manual assembly. From what I understand, ASUS graphic cards have all been auto assembled by robots for many years now, skipping the whole manual assembly section of this article. Not sure, maybe I remember that wrong.

I feel like if I were building a new factory, and the robot tech was there, that's the way I'd go for long term cost savings.

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
I feel like if I were building a new factory, and the robot tech was there, that's the way I'd go for long term cost savings.
That depends on the cost of labor and the chance and cost of fixing the robot's mistakes vs humans. Also how complex it is to setup the robots .. it's easy to tell people what to do

As Elon Musk found to his frustration, it's bloody hard to get robots doing everything just right. And just right is the only option. You have to improve one stage at a time. I've seen much bigger volumes of product going through manual processes.

The Pick'n'Place machines do the vast bulk of the assembly already. Manually attaching the final awkward pieces by hand isn't a big deal. And they are intending to automate more.

System Name YACS amd
Processor 5800x,
Motherboard gigabyte x570 aorus gaming elite.
Cooling bykski GPU, and CPU, syscooling p93x pump
Memory corsair vengeance pro rgb, 3600 ddr4 stock timings.
Video Card(s) xfx merc 310 7900xtx
Storage kingston kc3000 2TB, amongst others. Fanxiang s770 2TB
Display(s) benq ew3270u, or acer XB270hu, acer XB280hk, asus VG 278H,
Case lian li LANCOOL III
Audio Device(s) obs,
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti pro 1000w
Mouse logitech g703
Keyboard durogod keyboard. (cherry brown switches)
Software win 11, win10pro.
would the best brand for amd be Sapphire ?
dude, read the room… powercolor or TUL is the best brand…

I wonder if these were made 100% in europe or USA with 100% unionized labour, how much would they cost?

So you finally updated your 2600 sandy bridge?? :)
you know the answer (being from canada)… “ if you have to ask, you can’t afford it”

System Name LAMP 2017
Processor Intel Core i7-7700K
Motherboard MSI Z270I GAMING PRO CARBON AC
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Memory Crucial 2x8 GB DDR4-2400 CL17
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 HYBRID
Storage WD Black SN850X 4TB, Samsung 870 QVO 8TB
Display(s) Alienware AW3821DW
Case NCASE M1 V2
Audio Device(s) RME ADI-2 Pro, Neumann KH120A, Sennheiser HD800
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G303
Keyboard (varies)
Very interesting article! I was surprised about the manual TIM application - it's good they're planning on automating that aspect.

Processor Ryzen 5700x
Motherboard Gigabyte X570S Aero G R1.1 BiosF5g
Cooling Noctua NH-C12P SE14 w/ NF-A15 HS-PWM Fan 1500rpm
Memory Micron DDR4-3200 2x32GB D.S. D.R. (CT2K32G4DFD832A)
Video Card(s) AMD RX 6800 - Asus Tuf
Storage Kingston KC3000 1TB & 2TB & 4TB Corsair MP600 Pro LPX
Display(s) LG 27UL550-W (27" 4k)
Case Be Quiet Pure Base 600 (no window)
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220-VB
Power Supply SuperFlower Leadex V Gold Pro 850W ATX Ver2.52
Mouse Mionix Naos Pro
Keyboard Corsair Strafe with browns
Software W10 22H2 Pro x64
dude, read the room… powercolor or TUL is the best brand…

you know the answer (being from canada)… “ if you have to ask, you can’t afford it”
It would probably be double or triple. So could still afford it. Upgrades would be further apart for sure though.

Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Motherboard ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PRO (WiFi 6)
Cooling Noctua NH-C14S (two fans)
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3200
Video Card(s) Reference Vega 64
Storage Intel 665p 1TB, WD Black SN850X 2TB, Crucial MX300 1TB SATA, Samsung 830 256 GB SATA
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG27, and Samsung S23A700
Case Fractal Design R5
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME TITANIUM 850W
Mouse Logitech
VR HMD Oculus Rift
Software Windows 11 Pro, and Ubuntu 20.04
Thanks for the great article that's a welcome departure from the norm. It's interesting to see that there are still many manual steps in the assembly process, but given the flexibility of human beings, it isn't surprising.

i was using a random 750w power supply on my build and the coil wine was really bad and when i do heavy stuff its like jet engine even thou my Gpu was not cheap its ASUS Strix so i was upset so i started reding some articles on the internet and some YouTube videos so maybe i can find a fix and a lot of them suggested that the power supply can play a big part of the problem so i said ok and i started a small research on how pick a good power supply and i found this one
it was one of the best back the days so i ordered one after it came i tested it and Gess what it really worked the coil wine is gone and at heavy work you can barely hear it so i understanded something its not always the gpu problem as i was thinking, you don't need the best power supply available as i did i only bought it to test the theory.
i hope this was helpful cheers mate.
plz talk more about your set up. what is your GPU and noise level is about ?% in change.
thanks.

System Name Main
Processor Ryzen 5950x
Motherboard B550 PG Velocita
Cooling Water
Memory Ballistix
Video Card(s) RX 6900XT
Storage T-FORCE CARDEA A440 PRO
Display(s) Samsung UE590
Case QUBE 500
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z623
Power Supply LEADEX V 1KW
Mouse Cooler Master MM710
Keyboard Huntsman Elite
Software 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://hwbot.org/user/damric/
When I read this I was like lol unigine heaven and furmark. Then I just had to run those for the hwbot cheapaz chips competition...

Processor i5-6600K
Motherboard Asus Z170A
Cooling some cheap Cooler Master Hyper 103 or similar
Memory 16GB DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) IGP
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250GB
Display(s) 2x Oldell 24" 1920x1200
Case Bitfenix Nova white windowless non-mesh
Audio Device(s) E-mu 1212m PCI
Power Supply Seasonic G-360
Mouse Logitech Marble trackball, never had a mouse
Keyboard Key Tronic KT2000, no Win key because 1994
Software Oldwin
I think there was a video in circulation showing the Playstation 4 production line in Japan, but I was never able to find it. It's supposed to be fully robotised, with robots also able to handle soft objects such as wires and cables and thin metal shields. It also means that Sony was really confident they would sell tens of millions of PS4, so they invested a lot in automation. Graphics card OEMs can't hope to have nearly as large production runs.

I think there was a video in circulation showing the Playstation 4 production line in Japan, but I was never able to find it. It's supposed to be fully robotised, with robots also able to handle soft objects such as wires and cables and thin metal shields. It also means that Sony was really confident they would sell tens of millions of PS4, so they invested a lot in automation. Graphics card OEMs can't hope to have nearly as large production runs.

1686012407140.png

Processor i5-9600K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X
Cooling Scythe Mugen 5S
Memory Micron Ballistix Sports LT 3000 8G*4
Video Card(s) EVGA 3070 XC3 Ultra Gaming
Storage Adata SX6000 Pro 512G, Kingston A2000 1T
Display(s) Gigabyte M32Q
Case Antec DF700 Flux
Audio Device(s) Edifier C3X
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex Gold 650W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V2
Keyboard Ducky ONE 2 Horizon
I'm surprised this factory is brand new, considering it still uses manual assembly. From what I understand, ASUS graphic cards have all been auto assembled by robots for many years now, skipping the whole manual assembly section of this article. Not sure, maybe I remember that wrong.

I feel like if I were building a new factory, and the robot tech was there, that's the way I'd go for long term cost savings
Fully automizing everything is very expensive, especially when need high customization.
For highly customized machines, you likely have to stick to the original vendor for any parts or modification so the long term costs may not be low.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Fully automizing everything is very expensive, especially when need high customization.
For highly customized machines, you likely have to stick to the original vendor for any parts or modification so the long term costs may not be low.

Now I understand why ASUS charges such a premium... they are the only company that I know of that advertises the gpu's, etc are fully made by robots only.

Heh, I always give ASUS shit, but it makes sense now.

Processor i5-9600K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X
Cooling Scythe Mugen 5S
Memory Micron Ballistix Sports LT 3000 8G*4
Video Card(s) EVGA 3070 XC3 Ultra Gaming
Storage Adata SX6000 Pro 512G, Kingston A2000 1T
Display(s) Gigabyte M32Q
Case Antec DF700 Flux
Audio Device(s) Edifier C3X
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex Gold 650W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V2
Keyboard Ducky ONE 2 Horizon
Now I understand why ASUS charges such a premium... they are the only company that I know of that advertises the gpu's, etc are fully made by robots only.

Heh, I always give ASUS shit, but it makes sense now.
BTW advertising fully automated processing makes no sense to me
Like if I buy a burger I only care about how it tastes, not how many processes it took to cook it or how experienced the chef is
Only the result has an impact on the consumer, not the process

Space Lynx

Astronaut
BTW advertising fully automated processing makes no sense to me
Like if I buy a burger I only care about how it tastes, not how many processes it took to cook it or how experienced the chef is
Only the result has an impact on the consumer, not the process

robots are generally better at everything if optimized right, no risk of mistake once everything is setup and verified. where as humans, even if trained perfectly and do well at first, can sometimes make mistakes later on.

also, robots won't spit on my burger.

Processor Intel i7 77OOK
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus something
Cooling Noctua NH-U12S dual fan
Memory Ballistix 32 Go
Video Card(s) MSI 3060 Gaming X
Storage Mixed bag of M2 SSD and SATA SSD
Display(s) MSI 34" 3440x1440 Artimys 343CQR
Case Old Corsair Obsidian something
Audio Device(s) Integrated
Power Supply Old Antec HCG 620 still running good
Mouse Steelseries something
Keyboard Steelseries someting too
Benchmark Scores bench ? no time to lose with bench ! :)
also, robots won't spit on my burger.
It will come, it will come ...
:roll:
I believe some crafting cannot be done by robot ... for now, but repetitive task is what they're designed for ... (and like humans, they stills can broke down)

Space Lynx

Astronaut
It will come, it will come ...
:roll:
I believe some crafting cannot be done by robot ... for now, but repetitive task is what they're designed for ... (and like humans, they stills can broke down)

in America we already have several locations of robot only fast food places, and they make it perfect every single time - to order. don't resist!

but yes... more seriously... my area recently got robot trucks too, so now there are less people being employed at the trash pickup company... its just a robot arm that comes down now... we are facing a big change in society I think. if I were president I would offer free community college to everyone for in-demand positions, so if you are displaced, you at least have a way to get the schooling needed for something in-demand that pays well. many states have already moved to a free community college model, but our Congress is so broken it will never happen at the federal level.

ent

Cool article, nice to see how GPUs are made, but I have one question regarding this part:
In the next stage, a worker uses a stencil to apply a precise amount of thermal paste onto the GPU ASIC die. Previously, PowerColor would use a blob of TIM that's spread under pressure from the cooler, but has since changed it to a stencil-based application method that ensures uniform amounts of TIM. PowerColor intends to upgrade this stage to a fully mechanized TIM application in the near future, using a machine that's essentially similar to the one that applies solder paste in the earlier stages of the automated assembly.
The same statement can be found pretty much in every article about that tour (der8auer also talks about that in his video). Few weeks before people visited PowerColor fab, there was an article about completely borked thermal paste application on PowerColors 7900 XTX cards published by Igors Lab (not sure if linking to competition is allowed, so I am not gonna do it). A lot of users had issues with their PowerColor cards getting ridicolous delta between edge and hot spot temps (+30K), the reports were all over the net even before Igor's article. However, no major media picked up that story, yet all comment on how great new method of application thermal paste as PowerColor lab is gonna be.....

To be completely transparent I bought PowerColor 7900 XTX, my delta between GPU temp and hot spot is around 32 degrees. Hotspot temp reaches 100 C on default settings, PowerColor is not willing to help me, pretty much standard in the business. I will repaste the card myself, lose the warranty, never again buy anything from them, end of story (if card survives :)).

What boggles my mind is that all big HW sites ignore the fact that dude, who is pretty well known in the community publishes a piece showing how PowerColor failed pretty hard. 2 weeks later everyone is so pumped about how open about their manufacturing PowerColor is. I can't believe you guys missed the article Igor made, so what's the reason of keeping it quiet?

Processor Intel i7 77OOK
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus something
Cooling Noctua NH-U12S dual fan
Memory Ballistix 32 Go
Video Card(s) MSI 3060 Gaming X
Storage Mixed bag of M2 SSD and SATA SSD
Display(s) MSI 34" 3440x1440 Artimys 343CQR
Case Old Corsair Obsidian something
Audio Device(s) Integrated
Power Supply Old Antec HCG 620 still running good
Mouse Steelseries something
Keyboard Steelseries someting too
Benchmark Scores bench ? no time to lose with bench ! :)
Bah, you can apply manualy thermal paste and fail it ... no ? :)

Processor i5-6600K
Motherboard Asus Z170A
Cooling some cheap Cooler Master Hyper 103 or similar
Memory 16GB DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) IGP
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250GB
Display(s) 2x Oldell 24" 1920x1200
Case Bitfenix Nova white windowless non-mesh
Audio Device(s) E-mu 1212m PCI
Power Supply Seasonic G-360
Mouse Logitech Marble trackball, never had a mouse
Keyboard Key Tronic KT2000, no Win key because 1994
Software Oldwin
Igors Lab (not sure if linking to competition is allowed, so I am not gonna do it)
It is allowed and it is common. With a twist: you must not be Igor nor his Lab. :) At least that's what I can gather from forum rules.

ent

It is allowed and it is common. With a twist: you must not be Igor nor his Lab. :) At least that's what I can gather from forum rules.
I am not related to Igor's Lab in any way. This is the article I was talking about:

You can see how good their TIM application was on some cards.