• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Proposal for CPUs/graphic cards for PCs power draw standardisation

OneMoar

There is Always Moar
System Name RPC MK2.5
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Pro V2
Cooling Thermalright Phantom Spirit SE
Memory CL16 BL2K16G36C16U4RL 3600 1:1 micron e-die
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE RTX 3070 Ti GAMING OC
Storage Nextorage NE1N 2TB ADATA SX8200PRO NVME 512GB, Intel 545s 500GBSSD, ADATA SU800 SSD, 3TB Spinner
Display(s) LG Ultra Gear 32 1440p 165hz Dell 1440p 75hz
Case Phanteks P300 /w 300A front panel conversion
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus+ Platinum 750W
Mouse Kone burst Pro
Keyboard SteelSeries Apex 7
Software Windows 11 +startisallback
No lol just No so much No no no no PLEASE GO NO no Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

No lol just No so much No no no no PLEASE GO NO no Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
~Albert Einstein
Limits, you say, or cite. Oh yes, limits. Continuum of dark stupidity without borders and small limited islands of ingenuity, I guess your post was to illustrate the continuum?

Think and imagine:

One can optimise and build a quality product only in a well defined and limited space.

Optimisation in general is possible only if constraints are present.

First you need an anchor and then you can build a boat.

Thick fog of devillish sulphur vapours of marketing lies and misleading specs ruthlessly shone through by defined intense light beams of truth and reason, blinding and eventualetty killing those devils who produced such inhospitable atmosphere intended to deceit.

THINK AND MAKE ALBERT HAPPY!

Last edited:
Processor i5-6600K
Motherboard Asus Z170A
Cooling some cheap Cooler Master Hyper 103 or similar
Memory 16GB DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) IGP
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250GB
Display(s) 2x Oldell 24" 1920x1200
Case Bitfenix Nova white windowless non-mesh
Audio Device(s) E-mu 1212m PCI
Power Supply Seasonic G-360
Mouse Logitech Marble trackball, never had a mouse
Keyboard Key Tronic KT2000, no Win key because 1994
Software Oldwin
Defining clear product categories with one fixed paramater greatly facilitates choosing products for consumers, because they can easilly judge performance of these products. Everything about performance of the products is more transparent and clear.
It wouldn't even work for dishwashers. Which have just one use case, with a few small variations.

It wouldn't even work for dishwashers. Which have just one use case, with a few small variations.
Home dishwashers are all the same size with very similar performance, and making different classes of them is pointless. One CPU on the consumer PC market can be six times larger than the other one, measured in core count.

Dishwashers and all other home electrical appliences have a true power draw specification, because you need to know what electrical breaker to use and how the appliance loads your whole electric installation in your home and what appliances you can run concurrently. In case of AC units you have also a starting current spec, so that you have all the information about the true requirements of the appliance to be able to run it safely and reliably.

CPUs not only consume different amount of energy (one CPU on the consumer PC market can draw 200W or even more than the other one) and you need to take that in consideration while choosing a power supply, you also need to cool them, coolers are different sizes and some are simply incapadle to work with certain CPUs. Knowing a true power draw of a CPUs is therefore twice as important than knowing a true power draw of a home appliance.

Efficiency of home appliances is rated and extensively tested:
e.g. you test energy consumption and water consumption per washing cycle of some standardised clothes load.

There is really no reason why any computing components should be treated differently than any electric home appliances, why consumers should have less information, why should they be misled and enjoy less consumer protection.

Your PC while gaming can easily draw say 500W, you can run 10 fridges at the same time with this sort of power !!! TEN FREAKING FRIDGES WITH THOSE COLOURFUL EFFICIENCY LABELS ON THEM, WHICH MANUFACTURES HAVE BEEN TRYING HARD TO MAKE AS GOOD AND EFFICIENT AS POSSIBLE. You can run a heatpump / AC unit for a whole home with the power some PCs consume.

Also, electric home appliances tend to be optimised and balanced products. Can you imagine how a washing machine would behave it is was set out the box as Intel 14900K, for example? BTW I am not an Intel hater, and have this CPU and I am happy with it, once I adjusted it.

Last edited:
I just watched this video about the new Nvidia GPU power connector:

It seems that the safety margin of the new connector is lower than that of the old 8 pin design, and the connector has a real limit of 660W, while a specified maximum is 600W.

I just want to note that this new connector is perfectly OK and adequate in the case consumer GPUs were limited to power draw of 250W, beside all the advantages that defined classes of GPUs based on real power draw would bring.

One would have 4 categories of GPUs (65, 100, 160 and 250W) to choose from, and in each of these categories you would be choosing between highly optimised and energy efficient cards, which would be easily comparable between each other, intensifying competition and thus bringing these excellent products to customers for the lowest prices possible.

Please compare what I just wrote to the current mess on the GPU market. Do you believe that the manufacturers are really competing between each other and selling their products at the lowest possible prices? Do you really believe that each product you see on the market is highly optimised and efficient?