• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Qualcomm Adds Bluetooth Lossless Audio Technology to Snapdragon Sound

I thought that the main reason to use 24-bit or 32-bit floating point was for recording to prevent clipping, same thing with a higher sampling rate; so you can more accurately sample down the audio to commonly used formats (the whole idea that more data is never a bad thing when it comes to conversion later.) I had read something, I'm not sure if it's true, that using higher sampling rates can result in harmonic distortion outside of the audible range, but I'm not sure if I buy that. I do have some 96Khz/24-bit content and the fidelity is fantastic, but in reality, if it were sampled down, I would probably not notice a difference. The real difference is that it's 5.1 (6 channel,) and lossless, which makes for a great sounding track.
There is a good point about recording and editing being done at higher bit depths and sampling rates, that have to do with clipping and the ease of high frequency recording. For example if you record at just 16 bits and need to adjust gain digitally when editing the track by 30 dB's, the noise floor is going to be at least -66 dB, which someone is possibly going to hear. If you recorded at 24 bits, your quantization noise is still inaudible at below -100 dB. This means that you can set the gain a bit lower when recording, to prevent clipping, and not have to deal with unnecessary quantization noise should you need to push levels later on even by a lot.

For consumption though (as is the case with the aptX lossless), it does not make sense at all to deliver at higher than CD quality. Surround is of course good if you like it, and lossless a mandatory thing IMO.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 9950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage Intel 905p Optane 960GB boot, +2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64 / Windows 11 Enterprise IoT 2024
#Facepalm
Explain? I'm not including analog intentionally, as it always loses data to noise in transmission.

I admitedly am not on the cutting edge with audio tech though.

Last edited:
System Name Rectangulote
Processor Core I9-9900KF
Motherboard Asus TUF Z390M
Cooling Alphacool Eisbaer Aurora 280 + Eisblock RTX 3090 RE + 2 x 240 ST30
Memory 32 GB DDR4 3600mhz CL16 Crucial Ballistix
Video Card(s) KFA2 RTX 3090 SG
Storage WD Blue 3D 2TB + 2 x WD Black SN750 1TB
Display(s) 2 x Asus ROG Swift PG278QR / Samsung Q60R
Case Corsair 5000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Evga Nu Audio + Sennheiser HD599SE + Trust GTX 258
Power Supply Corsair RMX850
Mouse Razer Naga Wireless Pro / Logitech MX Master
Keyboard Keychron K4 / Dierya DK61 Pro
Software Windows 11 Pro
Trust me, there is a clear difference between 16bit/44kHz and 24bit/96kHz. I'm talking from experience. There are a lot of music samples out there.
BUT, unless you have decent, quality speakers, with very high range, you are correct, you won't distinguish a thing.
Which for bt audio is really out of scope, not only for bandwith reasons but for usage, outdoors. Even for people who drive their massive enegry sucking earphones through massive DACs in their phones in the street, all the noise and the nature of 2 insulated cans on your ears just ruin it, not matter how much they defend that.

I do have some 96Khz/24-bit content and the fidelity is fantastic, but in reality, if it were sampled down, I would probably not notice a difference. The real difference is that it's 5.1 (6 channel,) and lossless, which makes for a great sounding track.
The only true reason above 16/44 music shines is in surround in specific room setups. After years of watching people ardently defending than anything below 24/96 is shit I concluded what most people does is justifying to themselves their purchases. I tried several times doing different 24/96 vs 16/44 sound tests with different albums over the years and yes, you might find some differences, but not the life changing ones audiophiles claim and that goes out of the window when you start doing other activities while listening to music, which is what we all do.

System Name Rectangulote
Processor Core I9-9900KF
Motherboard Asus TUF Z390M
Cooling Alphacool Eisbaer Aurora 280 + Eisblock RTX 3090 RE + 2 x 240 ST30
Memory 32 GB DDR4 3600mhz CL16 Crucial Ballistix
Video Card(s) KFA2 RTX 3090 SG
Storage WD Blue 3D 2TB + 2 x WD Black SN750 1TB
Display(s) 2 x Asus ROG Swift PG278QR / Samsung Q60R
Case Corsair 5000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Evga Nu Audio + Sennheiser HD599SE + Trust GTX 258
Power Supply Corsair RMX850
Mouse Razer Naga Wireless Pro / Logitech MX Master
Keyboard Keychron K4 / Dierya DK61 Pro
Software Windows 11 Pro
Differences in mastering, to be exact. ..or in how your DAC/rest of the digital signal pipeline handles mixed bit depths and/or sampling frequencies.
Yeah, although it's very hard to notice and depends on the (high end) setup, use and the person listening, as I said I really have to concentrate on it to find differences with my setup and I mostly listen to music while doing other things so my attention to that fine detail is out of the window. My point is CD quality or equivalent lossless is pretty much the top for 99% for all uses and critizing bt codecs for not going beyond 16/44 is quite pointless given the use bt audio usually has. And no one who can appreciate 24/96 is going to try anyway. Aiming for full CD quality without reducing bitrate and using the less power as possible is more than enough for now.

it's very hard to notice
Truly. If it was possible to notice, we’d have at least one person able to discern the difference in a A/B blind test. I’ve yet to see anyone succeed.

If you do heavy post processing (room correction etc.) it might in theory make sense to go higher, but even then you’d need to listen at absurd volumes to hear the quantization noise.

System Name Work in progress
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Asus PRIME B350M-A
Cooling Wraith Stealth Cooler, 4x140mm Noctua NF-A14 FLX 1200RPM Case Fans
Memory Corsair 16GB (2x8GB) CMK16GX4M2A2400C14R DDR4 2400MHz Vengeance LPX DIMM
Video Card(s) GTX 1050 2GB (for now) 3060 12GB on order
Storage Samsung 860 EVO 500GB, Lots of HDD storage
Display(s) 32 inch 4K LG, 55 & 48 inch LG OLED, 40 inch Panasonic LED LCD
Case Cooler Master Silencio S400
Audio Device(s) Sound: LG Monitor Built-in speakers (currently), Mike: Marantz MaZ
Power Supply Corsair CS550M 550W ATX Power Supply, 80+ Gold Certified, Semi-Modular Design
Mouse Logitech M280
Keyboard Logitech Wireless Solar Keyboard K750R (works best in summer)
VR HMD none
Software Microsoft Windows 10 Home 64bit OEM, Captur 1 21
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R20: 3508 (WIP)
Truly. If it was possible to notice, we’d have at least one person able to discern the difference in a A/B blind test. I’ve yet to see anyone succeed.

If you do heavy post processing (room correction etc.) it might in theory make sense to go higher, but even then you’d need to listen at absurd volumes to hear the quantization noise.
I am about to turn 60. In my 20s I discoed like the wasn't going to be a tomorrow. I however have never used earphones on any regular basis except for telephony and at low volume. I can hear a difference in the test for the results to be statistically significant. My 22-year-old son also has perfect hearing and prefers really good headphones. He can also hear the difference to get it right more times than not. This is not even on audiophile speakers or at high volume. I would argue that some have better hearing than others. This variance is known to happen in visual perception. If you disagree I challenge you to name the extensive auditory study that proves your point.

I am about to turn 60. In my 20s I discoed like the wasn't going to be a tomorrow. I however have never used earphones on any regular basis except for telephony and at low volume. I can hear a difference in the test for the results to be statistically significant. My 22-year-old son also has perfect hearing and prefers really good headphones. He can also hear the difference to get it right more times than not. This is not even on audiophile speakers or at high volume. I would argue that some have better hearing than others. This variance is known to happen in visual perception. If you disagree I challenge you to name the extensive auditory study that proves your point.
That test is for discerning 8 bit from 16 bits, which is definitely audible. In order to benefit from 24bit music, you’d need to pass the blind test for noise at -96dB, as otherwise you can’t hear the quantization noise which is the only reason one could go for higher bit depth content.
Here you can test if you can hear noise at a meager -78dB. Don’t kill your ears.

If you claim to be able to pass it, please capture your try on video using a mobile phone. :)
After that we can try to find/make a test for the -96 dB noise floor, which is essentially beyond the human capabilities even in extremely good listening conditions.

As for your request on a study of the matter in question, this is a classic: http://drewdaniels.com/audible.pdf

While the human ear can in theory hear a range of 0-120dB, and cd audio has a quantization noise floor of ’just’ -96db, you can only hear the ’extra’ quantization noise if your environment has a noise floor below that -96db limit. In a typical home environment the noise floor is around 30dB, which means that you’d need to set peaks to around 130dB to even in theory be able to hear the quantization noise, and music at 130dB is very unhealthy, causing immediate pain and possibly loss of hearing.

The only thing 24bit audio does is it lowers the quantization noise floor to -144dB, nothing more and nothing less. To be able to percieve the difference, you’d risk losing your hearing.

Processor Intel® Core™ i7-13700K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 32GB(2x16) DDR5@6600MHz G-Skill Trident Z5
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 AMP Holo
Storage 2TB SK Platinum P41 SSD + 4TB SanDisk Ultra SSD + 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 3440x1440@100Hz G-Sync
Case NZXT PHANTOM410-BK
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium PCIe
Power Supply Corsair 850W
Mouse Logitech Hero G502 SE
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64bit
Benchmark Scores 30FPS in NFS:Rivals
Trust me, you can’t. Prove me wrong by posting any well made test where the result is as you claim it to be. You simply stating that you can hear a difference means very little.

In the test, the lower bitrate audio clip needs to be produced directly from the high bitrate clip using best practices for downsampling, and the test needs to be a double blind one. Dac used needs to be run at the same bitrate for both clips, with the lower bitrate clip upsampled using best practices on the source device. Otherwise the DAC may be the piece in the signal chain that produces differing outputs.

In many cases music files released at higher bitrates are also mastered differently to any lower bitrate version of the same piece, which explains most of the people who claim to hear the difference.
By any change, do you have a sound card capable to provide at least a sample rate of 24 bit, 96 kHz ? You need this in Windows if you want to listen to very high quality sound files:
1631372674027.png

By any change, do you have a sound card capable to provide at least a sample rate of 24 bit, 96 kHz ? You need this in Windows if you want to listen to very high quality sound files:
View attachment 216440
I do. What does that have to do with physics? No way in hell am I going to listen music at peaks set to 130dB (assuming 30dB noise floor). And since my volume is set to lower than that, moving up from 16bit does _absolutely nothing_. Just link a study on the matter where the opposite is true, if you still think that there is any meaning in 24bit audio for _consumption_.

System Name Work in progress
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Asus PRIME B350M-A
Cooling Wraith Stealth Cooler, 4x140mm Noctua NF-A14 FLX 1200RPM Case Fans
Memory Corsair 16GB (2x8GB) CMK16GX4M2A2400C14R DDR4 2400MHz Vengeance LPX DIMM
Video Card(s) GTX 1050 2GB (for now) 3060 12GB on order
Storage Samsung 860 EVO 500GB, Lots of HDD storage
Display(s) 32 inch 4K LG, 55 & 48 inch LG OLED, 40 inch Panasonic LED LCD
Case Cooler Master Silencio S400
Audio Device(s) Sound: LG Monitor Built-in speakers (currently), Mike: Marantz MaZ
Power Supply Corsair CS550M 550W ATX Power Supply, 80+ Gold Certified, Semi-Modular Design
Mouse Logitech M280
Keyboard Logitech Wireless Solar Keyboard K750R (works best in summer)
VR HMD none
Software Microsoft Windows 10 Home 64bit OEM, Captur 1 21
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R20: 3508 (WIP)
I do. What does that have to do with physics? No way in hell am I going to listen music at peaks set to 130dB (assuming 30dB noise floor). And since my volume is set to lower than that, moving up from 16bit does _absolutely nothing_. Just link a study on the matter where the opposite is true, if you still think that there is any meaning in 24bit audio for _consumption_.
I've been busy on other matters, I will be responding to your challenge but not today.