• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

RAID Stripe size

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs, 24TB Enterprise drives
Display(s) 55" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
Data density has as much if not more to do with performance from mechanical HDD's than anything. But if pure performance is what you want get 2 4TB drives, short stroke them and put them in they array at half capacity.

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
That is definitely not true. While it is ideal to use identical drives, it is certainly not required on any modern RAID controller.
I agree if you get a separate dedicated controller (or at least a upper end motherboard with decent controller). And for sure, modern controllers are much more accommodating. But I have still seen recent problems of compatibility.

That said, by "recent", I mean the problems I encountered surfaced recently. The server, drives and controllers are all from 5 years ago. So with 2015 controllers and drive failures in 2020, compatibility hopefully will not be an issue.

System Name Rainbow
Processor Intel Core i7 8700k
Motherboard MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC
Cooling Corsair H115i, 2x Noctua NF-A14 industrialPPC-3000 PWM
Memory G. Skill TridentZ RGB 4x8GB (F4-3600C16Q-32GTZR)
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GeForce RTX 3090 Trinity
Storage 2x Samsung 950 Pro 256GB | 2xHGST Deskstar 4TB 7.2K
Display(s) Samsung C27HG70
Case Xigmatek Aquila
Power Supply Seasonic 760W SS-760XP
Mouse Razer Deathadder 2013
Keyboard Corsair Vengeance K95
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 4 trillion points in GmailMark, over 144 FPS 2K Facebook Scrolling (Extreme Quality preset)
No cloud storage for anything I don't want shared, stolen or compromised.
Sounds like you need a "personal cloud". :p
(I hate that term.)
RAID-5 is seriously underestimated. Consider this performance while still maintaining redundancy. If you like 200MB/s, you'll love 300MB/s and redundancy. :p
I think people's distaste for RAID5 was back when controllers couldn't keep up calculating parity data (or at least I think that was a thing. I was young then, never got to play with it). On top of that, I don't think older controllers liked reading from the parity drive to give full read performance. These days though, n-1 write performance, n read performance, nice fault tolerance, very widely supported.. I've always thought RAID5 is the way to go for home use.
Data density has as much if not more to do with performance from mechanical HDD's than anything. But if pure performance is what you want get 2 4TB drives, short stroke them and put them in they array at half capacity.
The idea was better seek times and to keep files off the slower end of the drive, right? Never heard how much that improved things.

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs, 24TB Enterprise drives
Display(s) 55" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
Sounds like you need a "personal cloud". :p
(I hate that term.)

I think people's distaste for RAID5 was back when controllers couldn't keep up calculating parity data (or at least I think that was a thing. I was young then, never got to play with it). On top of that, I don't think older controllers liked reading from the parity drive to give full read performance. These days though, n-1 write performance, n read performance, nice fault tolerance, very widely supported.. I've always thought RAID5 is the way to go for home use.

The idea was better seek times and to keep files off the slower end of the drive, right? Never heard how much that improved things.

Yeah it used to be a huge thing for RAID 5 when CPU's handled the overhead through drivers, and it cost 25% of a systems performance (1Ghz CPU single core) to run a decent array, but with modern controllers the CPU use and or onboard hardware has eliminated this problem.

Instead of 50% degradation of performance you may only have 15%, and cut seek times by a third.

Reactions: xvi