• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Razer Synapse 4 Brings a New User Interface and Up to 30% Performance Boost

Installed it over synapse 3, yes it's definitely a bit faster, but also more cluttered with optional junk you can disable. Really just use it to check for any firmware update for my Viper V2 Pro, then promply close it and disable it from system startup. Don't plan on opening it again anytime soon but will leave it installed. Razer makes fantastic 1KHz wireless mouses with onboard memory so thankfully we don't need bloated software running.

Last edited:
Low quality post by EAS1974
pzogel did all razer mice reviews on TPA. On the software page, he always has this:

Remarkably, these processes continue to load if Synapse is set to not auto-start with Windows. The most convenient way of terminating these processes is to run any recent Razer mouse firmware updater.

After each boot, just run any updater and it will kill any razer stuff from memory. You have to open the .exe and hit next then close it. It's a 3 seconds thing. This way you can keep synapse installed and quickly launch it if needed.

Good of them to admit it's bloated. Now for Corsair and the rest to follow along. Then they can reduce their SW footprint to something reasonable and we'll be back to where we were years ago :roll:.
Corsair already admitted iCue is bloated and they did try to reduce bloat. Have you tried CM Masterplus+? Extremly slow and bloated for the functionality it offers.

System Name The Workhorse
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 5900X
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus B550 Pro
Cooling CPU - Noctua NH-D15S Case - 3 Noctua NF-A14 PWM at the bottom, 2 Fractal Design 180mm at the front
Memory GSkill Trident Z 3200CL14
Video Card(s) NVidia GTX 1070 MSI QuickSilver
Storage Adata SX8200Pro
Display(s) LG 32GK850G
Case Fractal Design Torrent (Solid)
Audio Device(s) FiiO E-10K DAC/Amp, Samson Meteorite USB Microphone
Power Supply Corsair RMx850 (2018)
Mouse Razer Viper (Original) on a X-Raypad Equate Plus V2
Keyboard Cooler Master QuickFire Rapid TKL keyboard (Cherry MX Black)
Software Windows 11 Pro (23H2)
Razer, guys, just do the non-stupid thing and move to a web-based UI for customization with on-board memory. It’s clearly the best possible solution.
I mean, you won’t, cause Synapse is obviously a data-mining thing for you, but it would be nice.

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI)
Cooling Corsair iCUE H115i Elite Capellix 280mm
Memory 32GB G.Skill DDR4 3600Mhz CL18
Video Card(s) ASUS RTX 3070 Ti TUF Gaming OC Edition
Storage Sabrent Rocket 1TB M.2
Display(s) Dell S3220DGF
Case Corsair iCUE 4000X
Audio Device(s) ASUS Xonar D2X
Power Supply Corsair AX760 Platinum
Mouse Razer DeathAdder V2 - Wireless
Software Microsoft Windows 11 Pro (64-bit)
I used this, it has removed one big annoyance from my end, the User Interface that didn't play well with VRR/G-Sync Enabled. As a result, it also at times caused issues in-game. The fact that it took this long to fix, is what will also make me never buy one of their products again.

Now, Corsair... OH CORSAIR! I am looking at your LOW-IQUE software too, fix that crap.

Overpriced crap.

1. Bought Razer stuff
2. Installed Synapse to do some configs and update the firmware, this took around 30 minutes.
3. Uninstalled Synapse.
4. Enjoyed the gear without any issues on multiple computers.

It’s pretty simple tbh if you do not want to change the lightings and macros all the time.

edit: as long as there are no issues I probably reinstall the driver once a year or so to check for firmware updates and delete it again.

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
I'm old enough to remember when peripheral drivers just made your peripheral work and didn't need optimizations to improve performance by 30% because they didn't use enough performance to actually impact the system in any meaningful way. That Razer is bragging about dragging down your system a little less than before is a very strange brag.
Many of my modern peripherals still adhere to this driver model.

It's only the massive nonsense suites from Razer/Logi/Corsair/NZXT etc that are really guilty of being 99% bloat. Most of them include all the running services and libraries for every product in their entire past and present product stack, layered with a bunch of feature-creep and heavy on 'notifications' which are thinly-veiled marketing and unwanted user-engagement requests.

So the soft touch surfaces of your devices started to peel after... six years?

This seems fairly normal wear and tear.
Maybe (and this is just my opinion) manufacturers should stop using coatings that degrade when in contact with skin oils or common alcohol-based cleaning wipes.

The soft-coating is yet more pointless built-in-obsolescence and many of my peripherals outlast their coatings. I'll then go to the hassle of dismantling the item down to the plastic shell and using petrol to dissolve what's left of the sticky, patchy mess before reassembling the now-clean, perfectly working keyboard/mouse/gamepad/laptop.

Many mice and gamepads have hard plastics with a rough texture. These are vastly preferable to the nasty soft-touch nonsense and the worst that will happen is that they'll get worn smooth over time without getting all sticky, flaky, or both.

dgianstefani

TPU Proofreader
Staff member
System Name Silent
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D @ 5.15ghz BCLK OC, TG AM5 High Performance Heatspreader
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix X670E-I, chipset fans replaced with Noctua A14x25 G2
Cooling Optimus Block, HWLabs Copper 240/40 + 240/30, D5/Res, 4x Noctua A12x25, 1x A14G2, Mayhems Ultra Pure
Memory 32 GB Dominator Platinum 6150 MT 26-36-36-48, 56.6ns AIDA, 2050 FCLK, 160 ns tRFC, active cooled
Video Card(s) RTX 3080 Ti Founders Edition, Conductonaut Extreme, 18 W/mK MinusPad Extreme, Corsair XG7 Waterblock
Storage Intel Optane DC P1600X 118 GB, Samsung 990 Pro 2 TB
Display(s) 32" 240 Hz 1440p Samsung G7, 31.5" 165 Hz 1440p LG NanoIPS Ultragear, MX900 dual gas VESA mount
Case Sliger SM570 CNC Aluminium 13-Litre, 3D printed feet, custom front, LINKUP Ultra PCIe 4.0 x16 white
Audio Device(s) Audeze Maxwell Ultraviolet w/upgrade pads & LCD headband, Galaxy Buds 3 Pro, Razer Nommo Pro
Power Supply SF750 Plat, full transparent custom cables, Sentinel Pro 1500 Online Double Conversion UPS w/Noctua
Mouse Razer Viper Pro V2 8 KHz Mercury White w/Tiger Ice Skates & Pulsar Supergrip tape
Keyboard Wooting 60HE+ module, TOFU-R CNC Alu/Brass, SS Prismcaps W+Jellykey, LekkerV2 mod, TLabs Leath/Suede
Software Windows 11 IoT Enterprise LTSC 24H2
Benchmark Scores Legendary
Maybe (and this is just my opinion) manufacturers should stop using coatings that degrade when in contact with skin oils or common alcohol-based cleaning wipes.

The soft-coating is yet more pointless built-in-obsolescence and many of my peripherals outlast their coatings. I'll then go to the hassle of dismantling the item down to the plastic shell and using petrol to dissolve what's left of the sticky, patchy mess before reassembling the now-clean, perfectly working keyboard/mouse/gamepad/laptop.

Many mice and gamepads have hard plastics with a rough texture. These are vastly preferable to the nasty soft-touch nonsense and the worst that will happen is that they'll get worn smooth over time without getting all sticky, flaky, or both.
My Viper V2 Pro came with grip tape you install over a hard plastic shell, the previous Viper Ultimate used inbuilt rubber pads.

The reality is that most protein leather, foam or soft touch human interface surfaces can be replaced, but people don't bother. Same thing with couches and beds, you are supposed to replace the mattress every x years.

The understanding is that the comfort of materials comes with a durability constraint, thankfully things like ear pads, head bands and grip tape have many first party and third party replacement options for cheap.

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
My Viper V2 Pro came with grip tape you install over a hard plastic shell, the previous Viper Ultimate used inbuilt rubber pads.

The reality is that most protein leather, foam or soft touch human interface surfaces can be replaced, but people don't bother. Same thing with couches and beds, you are supposed to replace the mattress every x years.

The understanding is that the comfort of materials comes with a durability constraint, thankfully things like ear pads, head bands and grip tape have many first party and third party replacement options for cheap.
Ear pads on heaphones, yes.
Rubber caps on gamepad thumbsticks, yes.

I'm talking about the paint-like rubber finish applied to laptop top decks, gamepads, keyboard decks, mice shells etc. That stuff is disgusting after a while, depending on how much you use it and how much UV light it gets exposed to.

The fact that your V2 Pro came with tape AND a hard shell is telling - The grip tape wouldn't stick to most of these coatings in the first place.

Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar b650m wifi
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin
Memory 32GB Corsair Vengeance 30CL6000
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Lexar NM790 4TB + Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial BX100 250GB
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Lian Li A3 mATX White
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse Steelseries Aerox 5
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W11 IoT Enterprise LTSC
Benchmark Scores Over 9000
pzogel did all razer mice reviews on TPA. On the software page, he always has this:

After each boot, just run any updater and it will kill any razer stuff from memory. You have to open the .exe and hit next then close it. It's a 3 seconds thing. This way you can keep synapse installed and quickly launch it if needed.
Oh only after each boot... WTF!
That's just horrible

Corsair already admitted iCue is bloated and they did try to reduce bloat. Have you tried CM Masterplus+? Extremly slow and bloated for the functionality it offers.
I've used it and I'd agree. The UI is also quite poor, can't resize it, wasted space everywhere, and the "advanced" mode is worse than "simple" because the same functions are more annoying to get at. I haven't bothered trying the most recent versions though.