• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Resident Evil 4 Remake: DLSS and XeSS Community Patch

Resident Evil 4 Remake recently got support for NVIDIA's Deep Learning Anti-Aliasing (DLAA), NVIDIA's DLSS Super Resolution (DLSS 3.1) and Intel's Xe Super Sampling (XeSS) through a community mod, and results are excellent. In this mini-review we take a look, comparing the image quality and performance gains offered by these technologies.

Show full review

System Name The de-ploughminator Mk-II
Processor i7 13700KF
Motherboard MSI Z790 Carbon
Cooling ID-Cooling SE-226-XT + Phanteks T30
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill DDR5 7200Cas34
Video Card(s) Asus RTX4090 TUF
Storage Kingston KC3000 2TB NVME
Display(s) 48" LG OLED C4
Case Corsair 5000D Air
Audio Device(s) KEF LSX II LT speakers + KEF KC62 Subwoofer
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Mouse Razor Death Adder v3
Keyboard Razor Huntsman V3 Pro TKL
Software win11
Wow DLSS looks great and perform great and Crapcom decided to not include it

Oh well I can wait until the game is 75% off to buy it

Wow DLSS looks great and perform great and Crapcom decided to not include it

Oh well I can wait until the game is 75% off to buy it
I would be less pissed if Capcom at least implement FSR better, but they really just put in the minimal effort and call it a day.

System Name Good enough
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7900 - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Motherboard ASRock B650 Pro RS
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Memory 32GB - FURY Beast RGB 5600 Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 7900 XT - Alphacool Eisblock Aurora
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Display(s) LG UltraGear 32GN650-B + 4K Samsung TV
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
I would be less pissed if Capcom at least implement FSR better, but they really just put in the minimal effort and call it a day.

To get DLSS or Xess in your game you probably need some kind of sponsorship/licensing deal I imagine, FSR was the least effort option that doesn't require direct involvment with the company.

I wish AMD would stop blocking DLSS. Nvidia doesn't block FSR. I get AMD doesn't want people comparing FSR to DLSS, but enough is enough. That's happening on Nvidia sponsored titles anyway, so what does it matter? Freesync vs Gsync was much the same, quality vs compatibility, and Freesync mostly won in the end. So why duck the comparison? More compatibility is a huge bonus and usually takes the win over the long term. Annoying gamers by FORCING their inferior solution just riles people up for no real gain. We're all well aware FSR is inferior even when they block the comparison, so what's the point besides giving gamers less options?

I miss the days when AMD at least pretended like they cared about what was better for gamers.

jarpe

I believe RE4 is an AMD sponsor title, and because DLSS vs FSR comparison will make AMD look bad, they decided not to include DLSS.

System Name Good enough
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
I wish AMD would stop blocking DLSS. Nvidia doesn't block FSR. I get AMD doesn't want people comparing FSR to DLSS, but enough is enough. That's happening on Nvidia sponsored titles anyway, so what does it matter? Freesync vs Gsync was much the same, quality vs compatibility, and Freesync mostly won in the end. So why duck the comparison? More compatibility is a huge bonus and usually takes the win over the long term. Annoying gamers by FORCING their inferior solution just riles people up for no real gain. We're all well aware FSR is inferior even when they block the comparison, so what's the point besides giving gamers less options?

I miss the days when AMD at least pretended like they cared about what was better for gamers.

I doubt AMD is blocking anyone and I am more than confident in saying it's probably the other way around, either way there are many games that have just DLSS. The point is in order to get DLSS in your game you have to deal with Nvidia and it's probably the case that some studios just don't care whereas FSR can be added by anyone without needing anything from AMD.

I happened to have worked in the industry and I know how this was done, implementing and testing DLSS or RT was lowest on the priority list.

System Name Boomer Master Race
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.2Ghz - 5Ghz CPU
Motherboard MSI B650I Edge Wifi ITX Motherboard
Cooling CM 280mm AIO + 2x 120mm Slim fans
Memory Kingston Fury 32GB 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) ASUS RTX 4070 Super 12GB OC
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 2TB + WD 2TB 2.5in HDD
Display(s) Sony 4K Bravia X85J 43Inch TV 120Hz
Case CM NR200P Max TG ITX Case
Audio Device(s) Built In Realtek Digital Audio HD
Power Supply CoolerMaster V850 SFX Gold 850W PSU
Mouse Logitech G203 Lightsync
Keyboard Atrix RGB Slim Keyboard
VR HMD ( â—” Ę–ĚŻ â—” )
Software Windows 10 Home 64bit
Benchmark Scores Don't do them anymore.
FSR trash as always. Thanks for the tests.
It's not trash, it's just not as good, stop whining.

You are trolling right? Please tell me you are?

Exactly. More compatibility is always better. So just do a decent implementation of FSR2. One works on all systems, the other not.

To get DLSS or Xess in your game you probably need some kind of sponsorship/licensing deal I imagine, FSR was the least effort option that doesn't require direct involvment with the company.
Not sure about XESS, but I don't think DLSS require special sponsorship/licensing deal, at least NVIDIA haven't try to regulate devs in that regard before, could change in future, but haven't done so yet. So, as of now, DLSS is basically like a black box, dev will throw these file in, and feed it suffcient data and it magically work.

System Name Good enough
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
Not sure about XESS, but I don't think DLSS require special sponsorship/licensing deal, at least NVIDIA haven't try to regulate devs in that regard before, could change in future, but haven't done so yet.

DLSS is proprietary, so is XeSS, at least partially, so it must be the case that some licensing is required for a studio to use them.

I tried this multiple times but my one simple test it fails everytime.

Ghosting is huge, especially when you look at the crows, the further the more noticeable. its like a black dot moving on the screen. There is something wrong, idk what is.

DLSS is proprietary, so is XeSS, at least partially, so it must be the case that some licensing is required for a studio to use them.
Oh, when you say ''Licensing deal'' I was thinking of some cumbersome multi-month process with heavy involvement with legal department, but yeah if someone want to use DLSS, NVIDIA will have to license them the software, considering even indie dev can implement DLSS, probably just a letter to NVIDIA and that's about it.

Processor Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Asrock x670E Steel Legend
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezr II 420mm
Memory 64GB G.Skill DDR5 CAS30 fruity LED RAM
Video Card(s) Nvidia RTX 4080 (Gigabyte)
Storage 2x Samsung 980 Pros, 3x spinning rust disks for ~20TB total storage
Display(s) 2x Asus 27" 1440p 165hz IPS monitors
Case Thermaltake Level 20XT E-ATX
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex VII 1000w
Mouse Logitech g502
Keyboard Logitech g915
Software Windows 11 Insider Preview

Correct.

FSR has the advantage that game development companies can implement FSR once and hit all three platforms in one fell swoop.

FSR is pretty good and DLSS isn't a sufficient improvement over it (to most people) to justify the labor expenditure to the bean counters at your average AAA game studio.

RE4R is just the start. XeSS and DLSS are going to go the way of RRedline and GLide.

System Name Good enough
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
probably just a letter to NVIDIA and that's about it.
Probably not, if that were the case every game would have it, DLSS has been around for what ? 5 years ? It's obvious that if it were that straight forward it would be ubiquitous after all this time, which it isn't. Even FSR which is easier to add, came out much later and it was adopted much quicker isn't in every game.

Everything that's proprietary is tough to work with because by it's very nature it cannot become a standard, like I said studios devote a minimal amount of effort for these things.

Last edited:

jarebear603

Probably not, if that were the case every game would have it, DLSS has been around for what ? 5 years ? It's obvious that if it were that straight forward it would be ubiquitous after all this time, which it isn't. Even FSR which is easier to add, came out much later and it was adopted much quicker isn't in every game.

Everything that's proprietary is tough to work with because by it's very nature it cannot become a standard, like I said studios devote a minimal amount of effort for these things.
It's literally free to use by anyone, just download the SDK.... With the OG 1.0 version devs used to have to submit their games to NVidia.

System Name Black-Monolith
Processor Intel I7 4790K OC @4.5GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK
Cooling Corsair H100i V2
Memory G.Skill Sniper 16GB 1600MHz (4x4)
Video Card(s) Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme
Storage Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB + Seagate 2TB + Crucial MX100 256GB SSD
Display(s) Dell S2716DG
Case Cooler Master Mastercase Pro 5
Audio Device(s) Creative SoundBlaster Z
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 850w G2
Mouse Logitech G502 Protheus core RGB
Software Windows 10
Is there a way to save the setup i chose in DLSS intead to it always start in balanced mode, i choose dlss quality but everytime i start the game the mod stay in balanced mode.

No it's trash. Watch the video/photos comparison vs Native and especially vs DLSS.
Can you confirm it is bad due to the technology and not because of shoddy development work? I've seen much better implementation of FSR in some games. Conversely, we've also seen badly implemented DLSS. So does that make DLSS trash?

System Name The de-ploughminator Mk-II
Processor i7 13700KF
Motherboard MSI Z790 Carbon
Cooling ID-Cooling SE-226-XT + Phanteks T30
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill DDR5 7200Cas34
Video Card(s) Asus RTX4090 TUF
Storage Kingston KC3000 2TB NVME
Display(s) 48" LG OLED C4
Case Corsair 5000D Air
Audio Device(s) KEF LSX II LT speakers + KEF KC62 Subwoofer
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Mouse Razor Death Adder v3
Keyboard Razor Huntsman V3 Pro TKL
Software win11
Can you confirm it is bad due to the technology and not because of shoddy development work? I've seen much better implementation of FSR in some games. Conversely, we've also seen badly implemented DLSS. So does that make DLSS trash?

There is no FSR implementation where it doesn't shimmer on vegetation and thin objects

System Name His & Hers
Processor R7 5800X/ R7 7950X3D Stock
Motherboard X670E Aorus Pro X/ROG Crosshair VIII Hero
Cooling Corsair h150 elite/ Corsair h115i Platinum
Memory Trident Z5 Neo 6000/ 32 GB 3200 CL14 @3800 CL16 Team T Force Nighthawk
Video Card(s) Evga FTW 3 Ultra 3080ti/ Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090
Storage lots of SSD.
Display(s) A whole bunch OLED, VA, IPS.....
Case 011 Dynamic XL/ Phanteks Evolv X
Audio Device(s) Arctis Pro + gaming Dac/ Corsair sp 2500/ Logitech G560/Samsung Q990B
Power Supply Seasonic Ultra Prime Titanium 1000w/850w
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed/ Logitech G Pro Hero.
Keyboard Logitech - G915 LIGHTSPEED / Logitech G Pro

It's only ok for people at 4k who don't own a 20/30/40 series Nvidia gpu and that it. Even then it's pretty much useless except at 4k and in quality mode which to me makes it trash due to how few people actually game at that resolution. AMD sorely needs a proprietary version that is accelerated for better image quality on their hardware going the open source route is only useful when the tech is actually comparable to the competing one.

NVIDIA-DLSS-2-vs-AMD-FSR-2-Image-Quality-Performance-Comparison-HardwareUnboxed-_1.pngNVIDIA-DLSS-2-vs-AMD-FSR-2-Image-Quality-Performance-Comparison-HardwareUnboxed-_2.png

The Bloodbath at 1440p while not surprising is pretty telling with how far FSR is behind DLSS. Now if this is due to poor implementation AMD is full of $h!+ on how easy it is to put in games which could be the case I don't develop games so I couldn't say.

source.

If you like FSR good for you it's ok to like something that is bad some of my favorite movies are considered terrible lol.

There is no FSR implementation where it doesn't shimmer on vegetation and thin objects

I'd actually say the opposite is true the only time FSR at 4k quality is comparable is when the DLSS implementation is poor.

Nope. DLSS pretty much always looks better than trash FSR. (HUB also agrees with me). So you can't say DLSS is trash.
Also, in some games where DLSS looks bad you can just swap the DLL with a newer version.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard ASUS B550M-Plus WiFi II
Cooling Noctua U12A chromax.black
Memory Corsair Vengeance 32GB 3600Mhz
Video Card(s) Palit RTX 4080 GameRock OC
Storage Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB + 980 Pro 2TB
Display(s) Asus XG35VQ
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) Creative Gigaworks - Razer Blackshark V2 Pro
Power Supply Corsair SF750
Mouse Razer Viper
Software Windows 11 64bit
AMD has the right, in some way, to be delivering a worse image reconstruction tech since it's free for everyone.
But also they can't use it to justify the ridiculous prices of the 7900XT/XTX.

It's like stitching photos with Microsoft's ICE and expecting to deliver pix4D or any other pro software, result.
It's free for a reason.

AMD has the right, in some way, to be delivering a worse image reconstruction tech since it's free for everyone.
But also they can't use it to justify the ridiculous prices of the 7900XT/XTX.

It's like stitching photos with Microsoft's ICE and expecting to deliver pix4D or any other pro software, result.
It's free for a reason.
The price of these GPUs is excellent. You have no idea what you're complaining about.

With TSMC surfing without competition and inflation being the new rule, games demanding more Vram, Nvidia wanting to convince that playing with RT at 20fps is amazing, the price of GPUs is only going to rise. Sorry.