• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

RTX 3000 Series artifacts, black squares that flicker in desktop and 2D mode

If it's a hardware problem, why the problem resolves after restart? And why there is no glitch in the bios screen?
I think even the people who said here before it’s certainly a hardware issue, are quiet in this thread for a long time now. Because some here have replaced their gpu already multiple times.

In MODS/MATS = nvidia bootable usb tool for diagnosing/stressing the vram en core, I get 100% pass including all vram banks for huge transfers, so hardware is fine.
In Windows I also haven’t seen the issue anymore since the day of my first post here.
And above all, someone was able to reproduce it in Windows using software which tampers with the Nvidia driver.

So…

ZG370

Sorry about the translation software I used:

Yes!!!, my RTX 3080 12G is the same as you described.
It occurs after power on. If it does not occur after power on, it will not occur.
The small square is usually triggered when using the browser or on desktop.
If I continue to use the computer, the nvidia driver will restart, and even the computer will automatically reboot.reboot computer will return to normal.
this issue happens about once a month for my computer. But I runing the game and test is normally.
I used MATS software to test the VRAM.The result is normal.
This issue occurs on my two 3080 12Gs. They are different brands, one is colorful RTX3080 12G ADOC, and the other is MSI 3080 12G suprim X.
Our descriptions are so consistent, and I have seen a lot of the same examples on the Internet. I can't remember how many.
So I think this is a nvidia Driver bug in 2D mode.
So I actually created a similar issue with mine today. I did a full shutdown and booted back into the BIOS. Did a case reset, loaded up the default values (no DRAM profiles) and rebooted. Then directly back into the bios. Loaded my old profiles but made one change which was disabling the Serial Com port. Rebooted into Windows 11 normal but then suddenly got the rectangle artifacts. Then the PC just rebooted on its own, no BSOD. I updated the NVidia driver on my RTX 3060 and rebooted. The problem hasn't returned. I've never seen this before but it only occurred after I went into the BIOS and did the things I mentioned previously. Also never had this PC just reboot on its own with no Windows warning or BSOD. Somewhere there was a hardware/Windows conflict when it rebooted into Windows the first time. And BTW, I left that serial port disabled so that wasn't it. I also don't think it was a graphics driver problem.

I think these motherboard BIOS's become unstable from time to time. I did a full case reset and BIOS default/reboot thing because it always fixes a problem with the on-board Realtek NIC occasionally not loading up after the system comes out of sleep/hibernation. A full shut down with the power supply button off along with a BIOS case reset is the only thing that fixes that issue. This time, I did a couple additional things and created this stability problem at the motherboard level, which affected Windows in two ways. One with the rectangles and two, with the sudden reboot. If I see this again, I'm going to swap out the DRAM modules and see if maybe that's the source of my instability. Maybe the DRAM stick's EMP's are being affected over time and especially when the PC comes out of sleep mode.

So I actually created a similar issue with mine today. I did a full shutdown and booted back into the BIOS. Did a case reset, loaded up the default values (no DRAM profiles) and rebooted. Then directly back into the bios. Loaded my old profiles but made one change which was disabling the Serial Com port. Rebooted into Windows 11 normal but then suddenly got the rectangle artifacts. Then the PC just rebooted on its own, no BSOD. I updated the NVidia driver on my RTX 3060 and rebooted. The problem hasn't returned. I've never seen this before but it only occurred after I went into the BIOS and did the things I mentioned previously. Also never had this PC just reboot on its own with no Windows warning or BSOD. Somewhere there was a hardware/Windows conflict when it rebooted into Windows the first time. And BTW, I left that serial port disabled so that wasn't it. I also don't think it was a graphics driver problem.

I think these motherboard BIOS's become unstable from time to time. I did a full case reset and BIOS default/reboot thing because it always fixes a problem with the on-board Realtek NIC occasionally not loading up after the system comes out of sleep/hibernation. A full shut down with the power supply button off along with a BIOS case reset is the only thing that fixes that issue. This time, I did a couple additional things and created this stability problem at the motherboard level, which affected Windows in two ways. One with the rectangles and two, with the sudden reboot. If I see this again, I'm going to swap out the DRAM modules and see if maybe that's the source of my instability. Maybe the DRAM stick's EMP's are being affected over time and especially when the PC comes out of sleep mode.
I do not believe in a problem with any hardware like DRAM, as this would cause other issues then just the Nvidia driver crashing.

These rectangles and the auto-reboot right after, due to BSOD'ing is certainly one and the same problem: the driver is occasionally slipping away. You surely can verify this by checking the aforementioned logging. And this is also proven by the fact that when you are fast enough to shutdown/reboot the pc as soon as you see the rectangles, the freeze or BSOD has never enough time to initiate, so nothing bad of that kind happens.

BTW: also I never use sleep mode/fast startup, and do not recommend it, as it is known/more likely to cause problems, compared to a proper shutdown.

ZG370

I do not believe in a problem with any hardware like DRAM, as this would cause other issues then just the Nvidia driver crashing.

These rectangles and the auto-reboot right after, due to BSOD'ing is certainly one and the same problem: the driver is occasionally slipping away. You surely can verify this by checking the aforementioned logging. And this is also proven by the fact that when you are fast enough to shutdown/reboot the pc as soon as you see the rectangles, the freeze or BSOD has never enough time to initiate, so nothing bad of that kind happens.

BTW: also I never use sleep mode/fast startup, and do not recommend it, as it is known/more likely to cause problems, compared to a proper shutdown.

I wanted to post a reply because it seems I actually created this situation and can trace back my steps that seemed to lead to it. Reading your reply however did make me think that my issues with the Realtek NIC is likely related to Windows sleep/hibernation and how those power saver technologies actually create instability. I've spent more time troubleshooting problems due to power saving glitches than anything else.

System Name Main PC
Processor 13700k
Motherboard Asrock Z690 Steel Legend D4 - Bios 13.02
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S
Memory 32 Gig 3200CL14
Video Card(s) 4080 RTX SUPER FE 16G
Storage 1TB 980 PRO, 2TB SN850X, 2TB DC P4600, 1TB 860 EVO, 2x 3TB WD Red, 2x 4TB WD Red
Display(s) LG 27GL850
Case Fractal Define R4
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster AE-9
Power Supply Antec HCG 750 Gold
Software Windows 10 21H2 LTSC
On my GTX 970 I used to get red squares showing in some games, it was fixed by a custom bios I made which bumped the voltages at each step.

On my GTX 970 I used to get red squares showing in some games, it was fixed by a custom bios I made which bumped the voltages at each step.
sure, seen it before, f.i. after doing a bios mod which i shouldn’t have done :) But this is a totally different one.

System Name Main PC
Processor 13700k
Motherboard Asrock Z690 Steel Legend D4 - Bios 13.02
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S
Memory 32 Gig 3200CL14
Video Card(s) 4080 RTX SUPER FE 16G
Storage 1TB 980 PRO, 2TB SN850X, 2TB DC P4600, 1TB 860 EVO, 2x 3TB WD Red, 2x 4TB WD Red
Display(s) LG 27GL850
Case Fractal Define R4
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster AE-9
Power Supply Antec HCG 750 Gold
Software Windows 10 21H2 LTSC
sure, seen it before, f.i. after doing a bios mod which i shouldn’t have done :) But this is a totally different one.
Was a complete lottery loser of a card, boost clocks were pretty low and even then wasnt stable in shipped state. Couldnt be bothered to RMA so stabilised it with the bios mod. :)

Processor Ryzen 5600
Motherboard Asus Prime x470-PRO
Cooling Pentawave z06d
Memory DDR4 32Gb 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3060 (GA104)
Storage SSD Samsung Pm981a 256 + Samsung 980Pro 1Tb + 870 evo 1Tb + 870 evo 500Gb
Display(s) PHL 24' 2K
Case Fractal Design Meshify C
Power Supply be quiet! Straight Power 11 750W Gold
Mouse Razer Viper Mini
Sorry for the bad English.
I have RTX 3060 EVGA and I see strange glitch in browsers, especially where there is video on pause or when rewinding video. On such pages you can often cause a glitch that breaks the rendering of the page. On such sites glitches appear when you scroll, when you drag the cursor over the links, when you rewind the video. There are no glitches on sites that do not have video or special graphic effects such as dimming, etc. In games I have not seen any problems. Check out my video, the gliches are indicated by timecodes.
Glitches and artifacts timecode: 1:03, 1:23, 1:32 (!!!), 1:54, 2:05, 2:14 (!!!), 4:57, 5:45, 5:51, 5:54 (!!!), I think glitches somehow related to GPU acceleration + when the video card is in the minimum frequency state (p8 state). What can it be? Is it a video card defect?

Interesting, has to do something with the architecture, such squares can easily be observed on nvKepler GPU's (104 and even 110B at times), but only when loading a picture or new page, not as errors.
Perhaps nvidia would have to respin the 30x0 chips, but didn't and this is the result.
Is your chip A0 revision?

Processor Ryzen 5600
Cooling Pentawave z06d
Memory DDR4 32Gb 3200
Storage SSD Samsung Pm981a 256 + Samsung 980Pro 1Tb + 870 evo 1Tb + 870 evo 500Gb
Display(s) PHL 24' 2K
Mouse Razer Viper Mini
System Name Coffee | Maximus
Processor Intel Core i7 9700K @ 5.2 GHz with AVX/4.8 GHz cache | i7 9700KF @ 5.0 GHz/4.7 GHz cache
Motherboard ASUS Maximus X Formula | ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger (modded BIOS for Coffee Lake)+TPM2.0 module
Cooling Cooler Master ML240 Illusion | Cooler Master ML120L RGB
Memory 2*16 GB (32 GB) Kingston Fury Beast @3600 MHz CL17 | 4*8 GB (32 GB) HyperX Fury @3200 MHz CL14
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX 3070 8 GB Twin Edge OC | Galax RTX 2060 Super 8 GB
Storage Samsung PM981a 1TB+Crucial P5 1TB+480GB SATA SSD+2 TB HDD | Crucial P1 500GB+2.5TB HDDs
Display(s) LG OLED 55 G3, 4K 120 Hz, VRR, ALLM, GSync, FreeSync | Samsung 43AU9070 4K TV, VRR, ALLM
Case Corsair Crystal 460X RGB | Lianli Lancool 215
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster Z SE w 5.1 Home Theater | Realtek ALC1150 (Supreme FX) w 2.1 speakers
Power Supply ASUS ROG Strix 750G (80+ Gold) | Cooler Master MWE 650 V2 (80+ Bronze)
Mouse Cooler Master MM731 19000 DPI gaming mouse
Keyboard Cooler Master CK721 65% mechanical gaming keyboard (tactile)
Software Windows 11 Pro x64 |Windows 11 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R20 MT 4200,ST 547 CPU-Z MT 4871, ST 620 | R20 MT - 4158, ST - 534, CPU-Z MT 4798, ST 603
I can confirm I have had this issue 2 or 3 times since I got my RTX 3070. No overclocking done. Just random out of the blue.

lordofrandy

rtx 3080ti FE. Had this issue on and off since I got the card. It happens about once a month or so. No idea what causes it at this point, i've tried rebooting my computer a bunch of times to simulate a months worth of startups. Nothing.

rtx 3080ti FE. Had this issue on and off since I got the card. It happens about once a month or so. No idea what causes it at this point, i've tried rebooting my computer a bunch of times to simulate a months worth of startups. Nothing.
What chip revision do you have (what does it say in GPU-Z)?

Interesting, the chips all seem to be A1 I wonder which rev. 3050, 3090 are...perhaps there is a pattern.

Processor Ryzen 5600
Cooling Pentawave z06d
Memory DDR4 32Gb 3200
Display(s) PHL 24' 2K
Mouse Razer Viper Mini
Do you have the same artifacts as in my video or different?

Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Cooling Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE
Memory 2x16 GB Crucial Ballistix 3600 CL16 Rev E @ 3800 CL16
Video Card(s) RTX3080 Ti FE
Storage SX8200 Pro 1 TB, Plextor M6Pro 256 GB, WD Blue 2TB
Display(s) LG 34GN850P-B
Case SilverStone Primera PM01 RGB
Audio Device(s) SoundBlaster G6 | Fidelio X2 | Sennheiser 6XX
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 750W
Mouse Endgame Gear XM1R
Keyboard Wooting Two HE
Interesting, the chips all seem to be A1 I wonder which rev. 3050, 3090 are...perhaps there is a pattern.
1678110890302.png

3080 Ti FE, no artifacts.

Tarkovski

What can it be? Is it a video card defect?

I get exactly the same artifacts on desktop, mostly streaming or on Youtube, never on load or playing. It happens to me on both 3090 and a 3060.
I have tested with a thousand drivers and always get the same errors with geometric patterns. I am really upset.

If you find a solution or Nvidia tells you something, please let me know.

PS: i7-13700K + ASUS TUF GAMING Z790-PLUS D4 + G.Skill Trident Z Neo DDR4-3600 CL16 32GB

Processor Ryzen 5600
Cooling Pentawave z06d
Memory DDR4 32Gb 3200
Display(s) PHL 24' 2K
Mouse Razer Viper Mini

UltiZA

Man am I relieved to have found this thread. I got my RTX 3080 TUF last year in July and it's been great, but I also recently started have artifacting in windows, browsing google, Discord and watching youtube. But it never ever happens when the GPU is under load. I play A LOT of games and also have a sim rig that runs 3x monitors so the GPU can get pegged to 100% quite a lot, but never ever had a game crash nor seen any artifacts in games itself. I'm getting the feeling that it's either a Windows update or Nvidia driver update that caused this? I'm also running completely stock settings on the card.

What I don't understand is that it happens COMPLETELY random. I haven't found a way of forcing it to happen, through overclocking or anything. I could got a week or 2 without seeing it happen, then it randomly pops up again.
1678267456281.png

Tarkovski

Has anyone contacted Nvidia (forums) commenting on these problems?

Processor Ryzen 5 5700x
Motherboard B550 Elite
Cooling Thermalright Perless Assassin 120 SE
Memory 32GB Fury Beast DDR4 3200Mhz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 3060 ti gaming oc pro
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1TB, WD SN850x 1TB, plus some random HDDs
Display(s) LG 27gp850 1440p 165Hz 27''
Case Lian Li Lancool II performance
Power Supply MSI 750w
Mouse G502
When the GPU is under heavy load the fans are also at higher speeds, when the card is almost at idle the fans are very slow or even at idle, this logic that it can't be the vram because it doesn't happen at full load doesn't make sense to me.
With the card at idle the vram is getting little to no fresh air.

This is most likely a vram issue specific to whatever is happening to those cards. What is the vram clock speed when this happens, when the machine is idle? There is issues with vram clock speeds at 100% even at idle in certain situations with amd, nvidia and even intel cards. Has anyone opened these cards to see the thermal pads? etc...

This has nothing to do with drivers.