• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Sennheiser GSX 1000 Audio Amplifier

„The overall sound quality of the Sennheiser GSX 1000 is excellent; audio output and microphone input are dead silent.“

I have both, 1st and 2nd version (with the black volume wheel). Both have noise floor, the louder i set the volume the louder is the noise floor. I don‘t know why the reviewer didn‘t hear it, maybe its my headphone.
Maybe its my USB 2.0 port, but i don‘t think so?

What i also dislike is that it is synced with the Windows volume, this means 2-steps only. No finer tuning of the volume, like 6 too quiet and 8 too loud. So i have to go with mouse to the Windows volume and set there 7 for example.

Another dislike is that the volume of the headphone and speaker output isn‘t separated.

And i dislike the black volume wheel, i like the silver ring on the old one more.

So negative my writing: The sound is great and also the binaural sound.
What i really like is its frequency response of 0-48kHz, some other write 1,5Hz-48kHz(?).

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 3900X
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite Wifi
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory Kingston KSM32ED8/32HC 2x32GB DDR4 ECC 2Rx8 Hynix C
Video Card(s) EVGA FTW3 GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
Storage Samsung 2TB 970 EVO Plus
Display(s) LG 27GL83A-B 27 Inch IPS
Case Cooler Master MasterCase H500
Audio Device(s) GSX 1000 + Sennheiser Game One + Edifier R1280DB
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS GX-750 Gold
Mouse Logitech G Pro X Superlight
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Elite RGB
Software Windows 10 / 11 Pro
„The overall sound quality of the Sennheiser GSX 1000 is excellent; audio output and microphone input are dead silent.“

I have both, 1st and 2nd version (with the black volume wheel). Both have noise floor, the louder i set the volume the louder is the noise floor. I don‘t know why the reviewer didn‘t hear it, maybe its my headphone.
Maybe its my USB 2.0 port, but i don‘t think so?

What i also dislike is that it is synced with the Windows volume, this means 2-steps only. No finer tuning of the volume, like 6 too quiet and 8 too loud. So i have to go with mouse to the Windows volume and set there 7 for example.

Another dislike is that the volume of the headphone and speaker output isn‘t separated.

And i dislike the black volume wheel, i like the silver ring on the old one more.

So negative my writing: The sound is great and also the binaural sound.
What i really like is its frequency response of 0-48kHz, some other write 1,5Hz-48kHz(?).
On my GSX 1000 1st edition no noise floor issues on my speakers or headset.
I also preferred volume increments by one, but after using it for two + years it has not been an issue.
As for headphone / speaker volume, set their respective physical volume to be the same - Fixes that problem.
GSX 1000 2nd no longer uses tape recorder quality for microphone so that is a win.

On my GSX 1000 1st edition no noise floor issues on my speakers or headset.
I also preferred volume increments by one, but after using it for two + years it has not been an issue.
As for headphone / speaker volume, set their respective physical volume to be the same - Fixes that problem.
GSX 1000 2nd no longer uses tape recorder quality for microphone so that is a win.
Seems also that there‘s only one option in the Windows Audio setting, the 7.1. So i can switch on the 2nd edition from multi to stereo, w/o going into settings and it works.

There are more interesting things about 2nd edition Sennheiser/Epos isn‘t talking about in the FAQ (only the MIC-in): 24 bit / 96 kHz isn‘t available anymore, only 16/44. A youtuber further told, that the Amp is weaker. Means loudness is throttled, if i remember correctly. You see that only in the specs sheet.

firot

Seems also that there‘s only one option in the Windows Audio setting, the 7.1. So i can switch on the 2nd edition from multi to stereo, w/o going into settings and it works.

There are more interesting things about 2nd edition Sennheiser/Epos isn‘t talking about in the FAQ (only the MIC-in): 24 bit / 96 kHz isn‘t available anymore, only 16/44. A youtuber further told, that the Amp is weaker. Means loudness is throttled, if i remember correctly. You see that only in the specs sheet.

So, are you saying that there is no Stereo option on Windows Sound Settings? I'm worried if this can cause problems on some games. For example, counter strike 2 has its own HRTF enabled by default and stereo windows setting is recommended in the game settings. There is no in-game setting to switch to stereo so I wonder how that is gonna work if 2nd edition is always set to 7.1 on the Windows Settings.

@firot
Just thought yesterday „i should have kept the 1st gen“. Because i wanna use my wired headphones instead my wireless Epos GSP 670 again. And the game i mostly play has also HRTF/3D-Stereo. I have no clue why Windows automatically sets surround, also with my Creative soundcard and headphone connected to headphone jack. But there i could switch, maybe i just have a bug.

At the moment i use the wireless headset with 7.1 and set the game to surround.

Also because i want to listen to music again in stereo instead switching around, also when its only a button to press on the headset.

firot

@firot
Just thought yesterday „i should have kept the 1st gen“. Because i wanna use my wired headphones instead my wireless Epos GSP 670 again. And the game i mostly play has also HRTF/3D-Stereo. I have no clue why Windows automatically sets surround, also with my Creative soundcard and headphone connected to headphone jack. But there i could switch, maybe i just have a bug.

At the moment i use the wireless headset with 7.1 and set the game to surround.

Also because i want to listen to music again in stereo instead switching around, also when its only a button to press on the headset.
Hey, thanks for yor answer. I have epos gsx 300 and can't also use the stereo. I can change it on my sound blaster x4 and sound blaster omni surround.

Whether if it is gonna be problem or not might depend on the game. For example, if game has stereo output in audio settings it will probably be okay since it will only use 2 channels even 8 channels are available to it.

I played some counter strike 2 with my sound blaster x4 to test the 7.1 thing. I used two configurations:

Windows settings is set to 7.1, virtual surround setting is off
Windows setting is set to stereo, virtual surround setting is off

I think it was all the same and directional audio was good. There is currently no option for hrtf (it is forced and can't be disabled) or audio output in cs2 so I'm assuming it only uses 2 channels. I don't know if there is a way to see which channels are active via some tool.

I'm not sure about the other games. For example, some games just treat the headphones as 7.1 and refuse to do HRTF or maybe using all 8 channels can ruin the directional audio.

Last edited: