• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

The Official Thermal Interface Material thread

Check
Ho'fuck me that's exACTLY what I've been clawing for, thank you so much. Awesome.

I think I'm just going to change everything I own to PTM7950 once I make sure I can source a genuine sheet of it.

Liquid Metal is just too much of a hassle.. especially in my Scar 18, the 2023 edition I had I barely owned it for 4 months before I saw the oxidation in the centre happening. Absolutely hopeless for Conductonaut and all other liquid metals out there.

Unless I'm wrong somewhere and glossed over something, there literally isn't any reason to NOT use PTM7950 over Liquid Metal or anything else, right?

My only worry is whether or not mounting pressure is a factor to worry about, most of my intended applications are going to be on laptops.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 9950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage Intel 905p Optane 960GB boot, +2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64 / Windows 11 Enterprise IoT 2024
Unless I'm wrong somewhere and glossed over something, there literally isn't any reason to NOT use PTM7950 over Liquid Metal or anything else, right?
Technically the only reason to go LM over PTM7950 would be a slight initial performance edge, though longevity is an issue as you pointed out.

Technically the only reason to go LM over PTM7950 would be a slight initial performance edge, though longevity is an issue as you pointed out.

The weight of the pros and cons in that regard are heavily leaning toward PTM7950 for me then.

I don't want to have to deal with respreading, cleaning oxidisation, risk of pumpout, hotspots etc.. and the 'slight initial performance edge' sounds only useful for getting the highest benchmark numbers out of your machine for bragging rights.

I think I'm sold and will move to PTM7950 now on everything.

For other things like VRMs and so on what would one recommend? I used to use MX-4 but I'd rather something that lasts a long time and doesn't get crusty if possible.

If anyone thinks I'm doing the wrong thing though please save me. ';d

Also, the funny thing is, I've overheard that PTM7950 only gets better over time as it gets thinner and thinner from mounting pressure, given it isn't a liquid, not prone to capillery and doesn't pump out, (to my logic) so the numbers in that review seem interesting, was the 'curing time' taken into consideration when comparing to liquid metal?

I've been pretty hopeful about these pad based thermal interfaces the last handful of years maturing to the point that they can readily replace the need for paste/liquid metal options easily with no significant downside. I don't mind a small deviation in terms of cooling between them and liquid metal or a good paste prior to dry out, but them reaching a point where that's less and less significant is all these pads really need to supplement and replace those other options pretty much outright for most people. Set it and forget it and no ideally a material that's non conductive at the same time. Hopefully reusable too, but even if it isn't it's not a huge problem. Clean up is another factor if it's generally easier to remove and cleanup than the other options that's a plus.

System Name G-Station 1.17 FINAL
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X470 Aorus Gaming 7 WiFi
Cooling DeepCool AK620 Digital
Memory Asgard Bragi DDR4-3600CL14 2x16GB
Video Card(s) Sapphire PULSE RX 7900 XTX
Storage 240GB Samsung 840 Evo, 1TB Asgard AN2, 2TB Hiksemi FUTURE-LITE, 320GB+1TB 7200RPM HDD
Display(s) Samsung 34" Odyssey OLED G8
Case Thermaltake Level 20 MT
Audio Device(s) Astro A40 TR + MixAmp
Power Supply Cougar GEX X2 1000W
Mouse Razer Viper Ultimate
Keyboard Razer Huntsman Elite (Red)
Software Windows 11 Pro
I think I'm just going to change everything I own to PTM7950 once I make sure I can source a genuine sheet of it.
If you can find it more easily, you can get some Thermalright Heilos PTM pads.

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name DarnGosh Edition
Processor AMD 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI X670E GAMING PLUS
Cooling AM5 Contact Frame + Thermalright PS120SE
Memory G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 6000 CL32-38-38-96
Video Card(s) Asus Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition (Not by Choice)
Storage WD SN770 1TB (Boot)| 2x 2TB WD SN770 (Gaming)| 2x 2TB Crucial BX500| 2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White) {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-850 80+ GOLD
Mouse Logitech G502 X
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 11 Home
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
Might be here on Friday

1719418379474.png

It should be rebranded PTM7950.

freeagent

Staff member
Processor AMD R7 5800X3D
Motherboard Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
Cooling Thermalright Frozen Edge 360, 3x TL-B12 V2, 2x TL-B12 V1
Memory 2x8 G.Skill Trident Z Royal 3200C14, 2x8GB G.Skill Trident Z Black and White 3200 C14
Video Card(s) Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC
Storage WD SN850 1TB, SN850X 2TB, SN770 1TB
Display(s) LG 50UP7100
Case Fractal Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) JBL Bar 700
Power Supply Seasonic Vertex GX-1000, Monster HDP1800
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Keyboard Logitech G213
VR HMD Oculus 3
Software Yes
Benchmark Scores Yes
I am using SYY-157 on my CPU and GPU, works pretty good.

FreedomEclipse

Processor AMD 7800X3D
Storage WD SN770 1TB (Boot)| 2x 2TB WD SN770 (Gaming)| 2x 2TB Crucial BX500| 2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Mouse Logitech G502 X
Software Windows 11 Home
And now we wait

The heat cycling begins. PTM7950 has a burn in time of 48hrs at room temp so im assuming a good few heat cycles before results.

:EDIT:

According to reddit. best results comes after about a week of heat cycling.

Last edited:

srich_2m

Artic Silver since COMPUSA was still around. Easy to apply and still is reasonably priced. Grizzly is too proud of its products for me to try. Cost is high, and most likely will perform better than good ol' silver.

System Name D30 w.2x E5-2680; T5500 w.2x X5675;2x P35 w.X3360; 2x Q33 w.Q9550S/Q9400S & laptops.
Artic Silver since COMPUSA was still around. Easy to apply and still is reasonably priced. Grizzly is too proud of its products for me to try. Cost is high, and most likely will perform better than good ol' silver.
Kryonaut is only paste I use, for 24/7 BOINC use. :cool:

Processor AMD Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard Asus TUF Gaming B550-Plus
Cooling Thermalright Frost Commander 140
Memory 2x16 3200@3733 Crucial Ballistix
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RX 5600 XT WindForce OC 6G (GV-R56XTWF2OC)
Storage Some
Display(s) Acer XV280K
Case Cooler Master HAF XB EVO
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE 650 Bronze
Mouse Logitech G502SE
Keyboard Ajazz AK35i with AKKO CS Rose Red Switches and white YMDK PBT keys
Ho'fuck me that's exACTLY what I've been clawing for, thank you so much. Awesome.
You are welcome.
Check
Liquid Metal is just too much of a hassle.. especially in my Scar 18, the 2023 edition I had I barely owned it for 4 months before I saw the oxidation in the centre happening. Absolutely hopeless for Conductonaut and all other liquid metals out there.

My only worry is whether or not mounting pressure is a factor to worry about, most of my intended applications are going to be on laptops.
Low mounting pressure and/or uneven surfaces is a problem for PTM, but laptops usually have enough pressure for the PTM.
For other things like VRMs and so on what would one recommend? I used to use MX-4 but I'd rather something that lasts a long time and doesn't get crusty if possible.
Maybe this

StarlightGalaxi

MX-6 is not very good on direct die from my experience I applied it to my TUF 4070 Ti and it always pumped out, intially the temps were fine between core and hotspot was a 10-11C delta now I'm seeing as high as 17-22C just after 1 week of it being applied and I did the spread method made sure the die was completely covered etc, now I'm waiting on PTM7950 that I purchased I should recieve it in a couple days or tomorrow, I've heard good things about this stuff and how resiliant it is to pump out effect but so far I am highly disappointed in MX-6 and will never use it on a GPU ever again.

StarlightGalaxi

I've had no issues with it on the laptops I've repasted.

I hate to seem rude, but pictures or it didn't happen. Everyone keeps crying "pump-out". It's a myth for the most part.
If pump out is a "myth" then why did my hotspot temps increase after just 1 week of it being applied? clearly pump out happened, I'll take pics when I take the card apart again to apply PTM7950.

I highly doubt that.
How about these reasons:
1. Improperly applied paste.
2. Improper amount of paste used.
3. Heatsink not fully contacting the die after being reassembled.
4. Paste not the issue at all and hot-spot is due to silicon lottery.
5. Heatsink improperly manufactured(imperfections in contact surfaces).
6. Heatsink not well suited for the job being asked of it(this is not likely in your case, that card's heatsink is huge).

I could keep going down that list, but you get the idea. "Pump-out" is moose-muffins until proven, and it has yet to be definitively proven by ANYONE. It's a damned myth. Figure out what is really going on with your situation and be objective about it. Don't use the "pump-out" scapegoat.

StarlightGalaxi

How about these reasons:
1. Improperly applied paste.
2. Improper amount of paste used.
3. Heatsink not fully contacting the die after being reassembled.
4. Paste not the issue at all and hot-spot is due to silicon lottery.
5. Heatsink improperly manufactured(imperfections in contact surfaces).
6. Heatsink not well suited for the job being asked of it(this is not likely in your case, that card's heatsink is huge).

I could keep going down that list, but you get the idea. "Pump-out" is moose-muffins until proven, and it has yet to be definitively proven by ANYONE. It's a damned myth. Figure out what is really going on with your situation and be objective about it. Don't use the "pump-out" scapegoat.
Still doesn't explain why my hotspot temps are literally 10-11C from the core temps for a few days after applying the MX-6 then they gradually increase over time if it was everything you have stated then I would have bad temps from the get go and not after the first few days, if the die wasn't being properly contacting the heatsink/cooler I would have overheating right after being reassembled which is not the case here. and I have repasted this card 3 times same situation temps started to climb after the intial few days and everytime I took the card apart part of the die was being exposed which is creating the hotspot increase even though it was fully covered and yes I used a good amount of paste on the GPU, you can keep to your beliefs and say it's a myth but from what I'm experiencing this is a pump out issue. and if PTM7950 doesn't exibit this bevaviour then my assumption is correct.

Last edited:
Still doesn't explain why my hotspot temps are literally 10-11C from the core temps for a few days after applying the MX-6 then they gradually increase over time if it was everything you have stated then I would have bad temps from the get go and not after the first few days, if the die wasn't being properly contacting the heatsink/cooler I would have overheating right after being reassembled which is not the case here. and I have repasted this card 3 times same situation temps started to climb after the intial few days and everytime I took the card apart part of the die was being exposed which is creating the hotspot increase even though it was fully covered and yes I used a good amount of paste on the GPU, you can keep to your beliefs and say it's a myth but from what I'm experiencing this is a pump out issue. and if PTM7950 doesn't exibit this bevaviour then my assumption is correct.
Ok, you do you.

FreedomEclipse

Processor AMD 7800X3D
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Mouse Logitech G502 X
Software Windows 11 Home
Here are my thoughts on the Thermalright Heilos so far....

I have noticed when I boot my laptop up after a while. Idle temps run a little high at 55'c and as high as 63'c if its doing something in the background like a small Antivirus update. -- this massively confused me and I immediately thought there was something wrong with the Heilos as I had seen the temps idle around 35-38'c on previous occasions.

I ran some guildwars 2 about a few days ago to give it some burn in time and temps maxed out around 74-85'c around that time but we were in a midst of a heatwave which had ambient temps between 27-31'c.

So The Heilos being a phase change pad and noticing the idle temps were higher than usual, I decided to start the laptop up this afternoon and put a little heat through it by loading up GW2 again. Temps averaged out at 62-65'c while the highest was 72'c while in game which proved to me that the Heilos was fine and still doing its job. It needs a bit of heat before it will do its best work. (current ambient temp is 21'c)

Quit out of the game and started using the laptop for some web browsing and youtube etc. temps are back to idling as low as 34'c but averaging around 36-37'c. I had never seen the laptop idle at 34'c with MasterGel Maker.

Im not sure if the Heilos is currently at its peak or it still needs more curing but its worked great for me so far.

::EDIT::

Yes. I can confirm that idle temps are higher If the laptop is left turned off for any amount of time where its allowed to completely cool off. I booted my laptop up to double check the idle temps and test some headphones that I found. idle temps are back to being 40-48'c. So its confirmed that PTM needs some heat before it does its best work.

Last edited:
Storage 240GB Samsung 840 Evo, 1TB Asgard AN2, 2TB Hiksemi FUTURE-LITE, 320GB+1TB 7200RPM HDD
Software Windows 11 Pro
Here are my thoughts on the Thermalright Heilos so far....

I have noticed when I boot my laptop up after a while. Idle temps run a little high at 55'c and as high as 63'c if its doing something in the background like a small Antivirus update. -- this massively confused me and I immediately thought there was something wrong with the Heilos as I had seen the temps idle around 35-38'c on previous occasions.

I ran some guildwars 2 about a few days ago to give it some burn in time and temps maxed out around 74-85'c around that time but we were in a midst of a heatwave which had ambient temps between 27-31'c.

So The Heilos being a phase change pad and noticing the idle temps were higher than usual, I decided to start the laptop up this afternoon and put a little heat through it by loading up GW2 again. Temps averaged out at 62-65'c while the highest was 72'c while in game which proved to me that the Heilos was fine and still doing its job. It needs a bit of heat before it will do its best work. (current ambient temp is 21'c)

Quit out of the game and started using the laptop for some web browsing and youtube etc. temps are back to idling as low as 34'c but averaging around 36-37'c. I had never seen the laptop idle at 34'c with MasterGel Maker.

Im not sure if the Heilos is currently at its peak or it still needs more curing but its worked great for me so far.
Makes me want to go the PTM route on my lappy, even if its i5 isn't direct die.

FreedomEclipse

Processor AMD 7800X3D
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Mouse Logitech G502 X
Software Windows 11 Home

How old is your laptop if it still has an IHS???? laptop chips have been direct die for the longest time.

Software Windows 11 Pro
How old is your laptop if it still has an IHS???? laptop chips have been direct die for the longest time.
Not that old, actually. Some 5 years. Check my sig, it has a bonafide LGA1151 i5-9400.

FreedomEclipse

Processor AMD 7800X3D
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Mouse Logitech G502 X
Software Windows 11 Home
Ah yeah. MobileWorkstation(tm)

PTM should still get good results. although not as good as direct die unless youre happy about delidding.

If the Heilos is available in Brazil. It could be a cheaper alternative then ordering authentic PTM from Moddiy and the gamut of fake randoms on ebay and amazon that ship from china. I got my Heilos from Thermalright's amazon store for £5.89. Moddiy is $5.99 but it will probably cost the same in shipping.

I have ptm on my 12700k and it works great but don't expect miracles with an IHS, i saw 2-3°C improvement compared to best paste i had on hand (which granted is pretty cool already)
Oh i also tried paste version of ptm and works as good