• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

The Register makes a solid list of reasons to upgrade to Windows Vista

EastCoasthandle

System Name MY PC
Processor E8400 @ 3.80Ghz > Q9650 3.60Ghz
Motherboard Maximus Formula
Cooling D5, 7/16" ID Tubing, Maze4 with Fuzion CPU WB
Memory XMS 8500C5D @ 1066MHz
Video Card(s) HD 2900 XT 858/900 to 4870 to 5870 (Keep Vreg area clean)
Storage 2
Display(s) 24"
Case P180
Audio Device(s) X-fi Plantinum
Power Supply Silencer 750
Software XP Pro SP3 to Windows 7
Benchmark Scores This varies from one driver to another.
You're completely missing my point. Vista has a new API, but that isn't a fault. Driver stability issues from 3rd party manufacturers CANNOT BE BLAMED ON VISTA! It's the same exact thing as trying to blame a bum driver for XP on XP itself.

You point out that you migrated from 2000 to XP with the same drivers. What does that have to do with Vista? Is MS supposed to never change their APIs because manufacturer's are used to it? What about when we went from NT4 based systems to 2000 and up? Did the driver transition go as smooth as your 2000-XP experience? I don't believe for a second that the concept of "blame the manufacturers" has been discredited.

And fyi, the MS drivers that apply to my hardware work fine, they're just not fully featured. So it's suddenly the responsibility of MS to provide us with fully featured drivers for all possible hardware? When did that happen? And why doesn't that train of thought apply to XP? When somebody gets a bad driver for XP, I don't hear them blaming XP, so why, then, do people blame Vista for a bad driver?

Last time stating this, the manufacturers of our hardware had the API available for testing many months before the OS released. Why are some drivers nice and stable, while other aren't? And if one driver works flawlessly, but another doesn't, how, again, is this Vista's fault?

I can summarize this by stating:
-It's their API
-It's their certification methods
-It's their redefined HAL
-It's their OS
This is why 3rd party manufactures are not at fault. You can easily go to another manufacture and buy their products for vista so there is no need to complain. Better yet, you can buy all MS products.
People should be complaining to MS for full driver functionality in their new OS releases. This makes much more sense then to complain that none vista approve hardware "doesn't work" :rolleyes:. Maybe if 1 or 2 manufactures were having problems I could agree but when nearly all are having problems then you have to look the source, in this case Vista.

My transition from Win2k to XP has EVERYTHING to do with this conversation. No explanation needed. And, lets not forget that some user experiences are less then stellar with vista when compared with XP in:
-loading apps
-shutting down
-starting up
-frame rates in games
Source
A lawsuit was already filed regarding vista's hardware requirements. So, not only are you getting news about vista's lack of 3rd party driver support, you also read news about vista's hardware requirements. I guess people who are having problems may account for more then people who are willing to settle.
Source

Last edited:

Wile E

Power User
System Name The ClusterF**k
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 BIOS F12
Cooling MCR-320, DDC-1 pump w/Bitspower res top (1/2" fittings), Koolance CPU-360
Memory 3x2GB Mushkin Redlines 1600Mhz 6-8-6-24 1T
Video Card(s) Evga GTX 580
Storage Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB, 2xSeagate 320GB RAID0; 2xSeagate 3TB; 2xSamsung 2TB; Samsung 1.5TB
Display(s) HP LP2475w 24" 1920x1200 IPS
Case Technofront Bench Station
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte into Onkyo SR606 and Polk TSi200's + RM6750
Power Supply ENERMAX Galaxy EVO EGX1250EWT 1250W
Software Win7 Ultimate N x64, OSX 10.8.4
I can summarize this by stating:
-It's their API
-It's their certification methods
-It's their redefined HAL
-It's their OS
This is why 3rd party manufactures are not at fault. You can easily go to another manufacture and buy their products for vista so there is no need to complain. Better yet, you can buy all MS products.
People should be complaining to MS for full driver functionality in their new OS releases. This makes much more sense then to complain that none vista approve hardware "doesn't work" :rolleyes:. Maybe if 1 or 2 manufactures were having problems I could agree but when nearly all are having problems then you have to look the source, in this case Vista.

My transition from Win2k to XP has EVERYTHING to do with this conversation. No explanation needed. And, lets not forget that some user experiences are less then stellar with vista when compared with XP in:
-loading apps
-shutting down
-starting up
-frame rates in games
Source
A lawsuit was already filed regarding vista's hardware requirements. So, not only are you getting news about vista's lack of 3rd party driver support, you also read news about vista's hardware requirements. I guess people who are having problems may account for more then people who are willing to settle.
Source

I do have the Start Up and shutdown problems sometimes, but Vista loads apps way faster than XP 100% of the time, in my experience. It's not even a contest. I also don't have a framerate problem on most games. If I do lose anyhting, it's 3-4 fps max. GRAW even performs better for me in Vista. That's just my experience tho. I can't speak for anyone else.

I wasn't claiming Vista is flawless, i was only touching on the driver issues. And your transition from 2000 to XP is a useless comparison, because they're both built from the same core. What about the people that went from an NT4 os to XP? I notice that you breezed right past that one. And I'm not having problems with ALL of my drivers, just ATI. Not all hardware is having problems, so that throws that theory right out the window.

Either way it doesn't even matter who's at fault. I think I'm right, you think you're right. We're obviously not going to get anywhere with this. I think we should just let it go here. We can just sum it up by saying that there are driver problems in Vista, regardless of fault.