• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Thermal issues with Sapphire FleX-OC HD 7950

AGreatFlood

hi everyone! i come to you with an issue thats been plaguing my HD 7950
ever since beginning of this year, the video card has been slowly getting hotter and hotter, and repasting almost always never made a difference
its come to a point where starting yesterday, i started tweaking my card's first vbios (it has 2, i assume the second one is the oc'd one) and lowering the VDDC value on "State 1 - performance" (im using VBE7)
it was at 1250mv by default, i lowered it to 1200 and somehow, it got worse!
1250mv - idles: 59-61C load: 85C
after lowering it to 1200mv - idles: 66C -load: 88C~ (after it got to 88C, i closed Heaven Benchmark)
after this huge disappointment and awkwardness i tried lowering it to 1181mv and changing the overdrive clocks from 1200~ to 1175mhz, and it was the same! at this point i just grew frustrated and turned the computer off.

could it be a defective heatsink?? i used Arctic MX-6 to repaste it everytime, to modify the vbios i used VBE7 and to flash i used ATIWinflash. im also using NimeZ drivers instead of the stock amd ones
am i doing something wrong, or is the card defective in a way?? i am at a loss!

if something doesnt make sense or you wanna know more dont be afraid to ask!! ill provide what i know

Last edited: