• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Upgrading old PC

D

Deleted member 229121

Honestly apart from replacing any storage with the rig I'd just leave it be.
As said you're going to bottleneck that CPU easily; it's a 2nd gen i7 from 2009 and has put in its time.

Best off saving up for a new set of guts, and just re-use the RX 580 until you can get a better GPU to replace it as well.
Get a quality PSU, and if you have an option for a CPU with an iGPU for a few bucks more, take it.

Toothless

Tech, Games, and TPU!
Supporter
System Name Veral
Processor 7800x3D
Motherboard x670e Asus Crosshair Hero
Cooling Corsair H150i RGB Elite
Memory 2x32 Corsair Dominator
Video Card(s) Powercolor 7900XTX Red Devil
Storage Crucial P5 Plus 1TB, Samsung 980 1TB, Teamgroup MP34 4TB
Display(s) Acer Nitro XZ342CK Pbmiiphx + 2x AOC 2425W
Case Fractal Design Meshify Lite 2
Audio Device(s) Blue Yeti + SteelSeries Arctis 5 / Samsung HW-T550
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Mouse Corsair Nightsword
Keyboard Corsair K55
VR HMD HP Reverb G2
Software Windows 11 Professional
Benchmark Scores PEBCAK
Honestly apart from replacing any storage with the rig I'd just leave it be.
As said you're going to bottleneck that CPU easily; it's a 2nd gen i7 from 2009 and has put in its time.

Best off saving up for a new set of guts, and just re-use the RX 580 until you can get a better GPU to replace it as well.
Get a quality PSU, and if you have an option for a CPU with an iGPU for a few bucks more, take it.
i7-870 is first generation. Second is Sandy Bridge/2600k, etc.

D

Deleted member 229121

Yea was thinking second since i7 920 was before that, but still 1st, typo.

bluntzMastah

Okay people so I got a R5 2600 with cooler and shipping for 35, couldn’t resist buying lol. So I am going with DDR4 upgrade, will try to sell mine doe 50-60€ ( i7-870, 16gb ddr3 kingston and that asus mobo ), now I was wondering what mobo I should look for that cpu? Would be nice as cheap as possible and to have cpu upgradebility in future, I guess 2 ram slots would be enough as 2x16 ddr4 maybe 3200mhz should fulfill my needs. :)) and also would be nice to clock that cpu as as far as I know it can achieve nice performance when clocked. Any suggestions, recomendations?

bluntzMastah

So just to update. Got new asus prime b450m a ii for 67€ icl. Postage. Brand new! Now catched a deal for DDR4 3600Mhz Kingston 2x16gb for 69€ incl. postage or adata d35 gammix 3200mhz for 61€? I guess Kingston would be a better choice?

now I guess next money spent will be on psu as the one I have… mhmzz I do not very trust it lol :D then m.2 and gpu as I guess I will be able to upgrade my cpu to a faar more better one with that mb? and add another 32gigs of ram :)

i tried looking used parts, but sellers keeps price very high, like 5-10€ cheaper than brand new item from shop so I went with new things. Still have ad for ram, but considering price of those Kingstona I cannot find anything cheaper and faster lol.

what do you think of my decisions?

System Name Personal computers
Processor Ryzen 7000, 8000 & 9000 series
Motherboard X670E & B650 boards
Cooling Deep Cool, Cooler Master, Thermal take & Stock air coolers
Memory G.Skill Flare X5, Corsair Vengeance RGB, Team T-Create & Adata
Video Card(s) Asus TUF gaming RX 7900 XTX OC edition / iGPUs
Storage 1 + 2TB T-Force Cardea A440 pro / 2 x Kingston KC3000 1TB
Display(s) 34 " / 32" / 27" LCDs
Case MSI MPG Sekira 100R / Silverstone Redline mATX / Antec C8
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar AE 7.1 + Audio Technica -AD500X / Onboard + Creative 2.1 soundbar
Power Supply Corsair RM1000x V2 / Corsair RM750x V2 / Thermaltake 650W GF1
Mouse MSI Clutch GM20 Elite / CM Reaper /
Keyboard Logitech G512 Carbon / MSI G30 Vigor / Ttesports Challenger Duo
So just to update. Got new asus prime b450m a ii for 67€ icl. Postage. Brand new! Now catched a deal for DDR4 3600Mhz Kingston 2x16gb for 69€ incl. postage or adata d35 gammix 3200mhz for 61€? I guess Kingston would be a better choice?

now I guess next money spent will be on psu as the one I have… mhmzz I do not very trust it lol :D then m.2 and gpu as I guess I will be able to upgrade my cpu to a faar more better one with that mb? and add another 32gigs of ram :)

i tried looking used parts, but sellers keeps price very high, like 5-10€ cheaper than brand new item from shop so I went with new things. Still have ad for ram, but considering price of those Kingstona I cannot find anything cheaper and faster lol.

what do you think of my decisions?
Considering your budget restrictions, you made a nice choice with all that combo. You'll find the IMC on the 2600 will more than likely top at at 3466MHz, but if you get the Kingston RAM & lower bandwidth speed a little, you should be able to maybe tighten up the timings a bit. But you'll have to do extensive testing to find that sweet spot.

bluntzMastah

Considering your budget restrictions, you made a nice choice with all that combo. You'll find the IMC on the 2600 will more than likely top at at 3466MHz, but if you get the Kingston RAM & lower bandwidth speed a little, you should be able to maybe tighten up the timings a bit. But you'll have to do extensive testing to find that sweet spot.
As I am still on budget, those ADATAs looks attractive too, do you think it is worth going with Kingstons? I actually as a brand more prefere Kingston and it is small price difference and they’re faster compared to adatas.

Sorry for dp but there’s a deal on used Kingstons2x16gb RGB but 2666Mhz for 40€ incl. postage. Is it worth going with these or should I spend that extra for 3200-3600Mhz?
Thanks !

You mentioned having problems running Premiere Pro and editing 4K videos on your old rig. I don't know what version of Premiere Pro you're using, but it loves RAM, especially at higher resolutions.

Not only do you need lots of system RAM for Premiere Pro, but also lots of GPU RAM. The charts on the Puget Systems web site are helpful when building a PC for Photoshop and Premiere Pro, but when viewing their recommendations, bear in mind they're testing newer versions of Adobe software, which tend to be very resource heavy.

For the latest versions of Premiere Pro, Puget Systems specify the minimum amount of system RAM as 32GB for 1080p video and 64GB RAM for 4K video.
Similarly, Puget state the minimum amount of on-board graphics card RAM as 4GB for 1080p and 6GB at 4K.
https://www.pugetsystems.com/soluti...be-premiere-pro/hardware-recommendations/#ram

You may be able to edit 4K video with 32GB system RAM and an RX480 with 4GB video RAM, but keep an eye on system resources and try not to run too many other large programs in the background. If you're using a version of Premiere Pro that's at least 5 years old, you'll probably get reasonable results from your Ryzen 2600 / RX 580 build, but you might have trouble with Premiere Pro 2023.

I recently upgraded an old AMD system from an A6-9500 dual-core APU to a 2600X and it's given the computer a new lease on life. When I swapped the 2x 4GB DDR4-2666 RAM for a 2x 8GB DDR4-3000 kit, the system failed to boot with XMP 3000MT/s enabled.

The spec for the 2600X (and the 2600) memory speed is max. DDR4-2933, so anything above this speed may need manual adjustment of the memory timings.
https://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Zen/AMD-Ryzen 5 PRO 2600.html

To fix the 3000MT/s XMP overclocking problem, I opened the BIOS and increased the CL (CAS) timing for each DIMM from CL16 to CL18 and the 2600X is now rock solid in MemTest86+.
https://memtest.org/

Obviously looser timings slow down the PC slightly, but if you're considering faster 3200 or 3600MT/s RAM, be prepared to play with the timings to make the system stable. You might get RAM to run at 3600MT/s, but 3200MT/s should be much easier to achieve.

Another thing to consider is if you add a second pair of DIMMs, you may have to drop your XMP speed down to 2600MT/s or 2800MT/s, regardless of the speed rating of the memory. Four DIMMs place additional loading on the IMC (Integrated Memory Controller) and make overclocking more tricky. It's not a good idea to mix dissimilar pairs of RAM. Even seemingly "identical" pairs of RAM with the same part description could well contain different memory chips and different SPD (Serial Presence Detect) speed timings. The best option is to fit 2 x 32GB instead of upgrading to 4 x 16GB, but this can be difficult on a restrictive budget.

As it happens, system RAM speed is less important for Premiere Pro running on AMD systems than on Intel systems, so you probably won't see a huge benefit from higher speeds in video editing. The graph below is for DDR5, not DDR4, but it shows the difference.
https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/a...023-update/#Video_Editing_and_Motion_Graphics

See also this discussion about DDR4 from 2019.
https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/a...formance-1528/#Premiere_Pro_Benchmark_Results

Adobe Photoshop has lower system requirements than Premiere Pro, but if you want to see the recommendations for the latest release, see below.
https://www.pugetsystems.com/soluti...ons/adobe-photoshop/hardware-recommendations/

It's worth trawling through Puget's older documents for details of hardware and software more closely matching your own.

Although Photoshop CC 2024 is very sophisticated, the subscription is expensive and you can still use the 13-year old standalone Photoshop CS6 to good effect.

I don't worry if some of my CPUs don't have a built in GPU. If the main GPU stops working, I fit an old PCI-e graphics card in its place. A GT630 from 2012 is sufficient to get Windows back up and running and show if the main GPU needs replacing.

You'll see a lot of people on forums suggesting you should replace an old PSU when upgrading, especially the PSU is outside warranty or of questionable build quality.

I use this list as a guide as to quality.
https://cultists.network/140/psu-tier-list/

If you're lucky, your PSU will be in Tier A - High-end (very expensive), Tier B - Mid-range, or Tier C - Low-end (more affordable). If your PSU is near the top of the list and you're on a budget, carry on using it until it eventually stops working. With any luck when the PSU dies of old age, it won't take out the rest of your computer.

If you're less fortunate, you may find your bargain basement PSU lurking down in the 'Tier F - Replace Immediately' category. Whether you take notice of this seemingly dire warning is up to you (and the depth of your wallet). Just remember your computer is living on borrowed time.

I have several ancient computers with low quality PSUs and they're still working fine, but I won't be too heart broken if they explode in a shower of sparks.

If this is your only computer, check the list and fit the best PSU you can afford.

bluntzMastah

Thanks for the info. I’d like to ask will I be good with 32gb Kingston rams 2666Mhz as I can get it for 40€ and I’d rather spent that 30€ on PSU, or still I should consider buying 3600Mhz rams for 70€? Thanks

System Name Custom
Processor i9 9900k
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 arous master
Cooling corsair h150i
Memory 4x8 3200mhz corsair
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 EX Gamer White OC
Storage 500gb Samsung 970 Evo PLus
Display(s) MSi MAG341CQ
Case Lian Li Pc-011 Dynamic
Audio Device(s) Arctis Pro Wireless
Power Supply 850w Seasonic Focus Platinum
Mouse Logitech G403
Keyboard Logitech G110
Thanks for the info. I’d like to ask will I be good with 32gb Kingston rams 2666Mhz as I can get it for 40€ and I’d rather spent that 30€ on PSU, or still I should consider buying 3600Mhz rams for 70€? Thanks
Depends on the games you play, some games show almost no improvement to some games show about 4% faster at best. I’d get the faster ram if you are keeping the system for another 3 or more years to come… games just gonna get a bit more demanding and faster ram helps, if this is a temporary buy until your next rig in a year then get the slower ram

bluntzMastah

Depends on the games you play, some games show almost no improvement to some games show about 4% faster at best. I’d get the faster ram if you are keeping the system for another 3 or more years to come… games just gonna get a bit more demanding and faster ram helps, if this is a temporary buy until your next rig in a year then get the slower ram
I will mostly gonna use it for video editing / games. I was pretty happy with my curent rig as lets say cyberpunk 2077 on medium 1080p I was able to get ~100fps but drops in dogtown lol but it was with rx 580 4gb which I will upgrade later. I am not fancy about maxed graphics etc., rather smooth workflow with adobes. If we are speaking about 5% of performance and barely unnoticable performance when using it, I will be good with cheaper ones for 40€ and 2666Mhz.
I bought a bit better mb not the cheapest one, but with good deal and it says that it supports r7 5800x3d, so lets say considering upgrade only after year or a bit more, I believe i still be able to sell those sticks for 30€ after that time, so that’s the situation.
and i guess i can clock those 2666 to somewhat 2900mhz stable?

System Name DLSS / YOLO-PC
Processor i5-12400F / 10600KF
Motherboard Gigabyte B760M DS3H / Z490 Vision D
Cooling Laminar RM1 / Gammaxx 400
Memory 32 GB DDR4-3200 / 16 GB DDR4-3333
Video Card(s) RX 6700 XT / R9 380 2 GB
Storage A couple SSDs, m.2 NVMe included / 240 GB CX1 + 1 TB WD HDD
Display(s) Compit HA2704 / Viewsonic VX3276-MHD-2
Case Matrexx 55 / Junkyard special
Audio Device(s) Want loud, use headphones. Want quiet, use satellites.
Power Supply Thermaltake 1000 W / Corsair CX650M / DQ550ST [backup]
Mouse Don't disturb, cheese eating in progress...
Keyboard Makes some noise. Probably onto something.
VR HMD I live in real reality and don't need a virtual one.
Software Windows 10 and 11
and i guess i can clock those 2666 to somewhat 2900mhz stable?
That's a lottery. Some sticks can do it, some cannot. Just try it and you'll know how it goes.

Going xxxtra juicy RAM speed isn't very necessary in your case.
cyberpunk 2077 on medium 1080p I was able to get ~100fps
HOW? My RX 480 is delivering less than 50 at 1080p. And this is with my 10 generations more modern rig. If you're using FSR at ultra performance mode then it's not 1080p anymore.

bluntzMastah

Soo a quick update as it is getting more interesting and I can’t wait for parts I ordered lol.
R5-2600 CPU with cooler I’ll try to sell lol 35€
Asus prime B450M-A2 MB 67€
Aigo ICE200 cpu cooler 6€
Kingston HyperX Fury DDR4 2x16gb 2666Mhz RGB 40€
NZXT 440 Razer case with 6 fans, but hdd drawers missing for 25€
And and and I need nvme and gpu upgrade soon I believe, but I decided not even try to start my new build without having a decent quality PSU. I can’t find anything reasonable price used, BUT I found shop floor items for good price and 30 days return policy. So I am choosing between two: Corsair Vengeance 650M and OCZ Fatality 750W with LED. Both cost the same, both shop floor items. 45€ each or they have Corsair VS650 for 40€, but as far as I understand first two options would be better. Which one would you advice me choosing? Consider I am gonna overclock my rig and also I am on budget. I can’t find anything new for under 55€ or used for reasonable price.

P.S there’s another option nfortec sagitta 850w for 40€ but I can’t find any info on it and would like not to buy again. :/

and honestly i don’t more rgb lol but it just happened :D
And I am thinking about getting Vengeance one. :)

update: ordered vengeance 650m

now nvme and gpu upgrade left. I’ll post some pics when receive all the parts and start building it ! :)) can’t wait.

Attachments

• IMG_5531.png
    IMG_5531.png
    1 MB · Views: 33
  • IMG_5532.png
    IMG_5532.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 31
  • IMG_5533.png
    IMG_5533.png
    5.8 MB · Views: 35
Last edited:

bluntzMastah

So received that ‘shop floor’ item and sent ir back straight away. They sent me some used and previously repaired item lol. I went to some local shops and was offered with two PSUs for 50€ each, bu their looks I could guess that they were real shop floor ( display ) items, but one was Chieftec 850w and another cougar 700w. I did a quick research online and they both were like 13+ years old so I decided not to take that deal.
And found a brand new CV650 in seales box for 50€ incl shipping, so bought it and waiting for delivery. :) i guess I made a good choice?

now another funny story was with nzxt case. Dude said it is with 6 rgb fans and event sent photos of those fans ( yeah I double checked ) and I received a box without only three fans, no psu mounting and hdd drawers lol. :D i contacted him again, and he then sent me back one more big 14cm nzxt fan and two arctic p1300001-001 ( one has one completely broken wing and no wing was included ), but at least he managed to ship psu mount and one hdd drawer so I am not too mad at him as that box costed me 25€ incl. delivery and all fans works silent. Fans not rgb but still.

i received all the parts ( psu should reach me tomorrow ), have the rams and mb and case and cpu and ssds and all the cabled needed, gpu from my old pc as well.

now while I was waiting I was playing with fans, what do you think of this setup?

i attached some pictures of my upcoming build :)

I may be able to build it throughout today. can’t wait! And I will try to achieve it as clean as possible. Will update later !

Attachments

• IMG_5582.jpeg
    IMG_5582.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 41
  • IMG_5583.jpeg
    IMG_5583.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 32
  • IMG_5584.jpeg
    IMG_5584.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 37
  • IMG_5569.jpeg
    IMG_5569.jpeg