• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

US Government Can't Stop Chinese Semiconductor Advancement, Notes Former TSMC VP

Status
Not open for further replies.
System Name Personal \\ Work - HP EliteBook 840 G6
Processor 7700X \\ i7-8565U
Motherboard Asrock X670E PG Lightning
Cooling Noctua DH-15
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Black 32GB 6000MHz CL36 \\ 16GB DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) ASUS RoG Strix 1070 Ti \\ Intel UHD Graphics 620
Storage 2x KC3000 2TB, Samsung 970 EVO 512GB \\ OEM 256GB NVMe SSD
Display(s) BenQ XL2411Z \\ FullHD + 2x HP Z24i external screens via docking station
Case Fractal Design Define Arc Midi R2 with window
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150 with Logitech Z533
Power Supply Corsair AX860i
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Corsair K55 RGB PRO
Software Windows 11 \\ Windows 10
Only racists and xenophobes doubt the capability of China's engineers. Recently, YMTC shipped the densest NAND in the world. However, you are naïve if you believe that there's no possibility of industrial espionage. SMIC has done that in the past with the victim being TSMC.

Oh, I am fully aware they have stolen quite a bit. Gotta have the jumpstart and all that.

P.S.
About that "stealth ship thing" discussed here - hold your horses. You will see Burke's still swimming in 2050ties, there isn't going to be any USA stealth armada on the seas then (nor Chinese for that matter).

System Name Nebulon B
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7700X
Motherboard MSi PRO B650M-A WiFi
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory 2x 16 GB Corsair Vengeance EXPO DDR5-6000
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 6750 XT 12 GB
Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 4 + 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Display(s) Dell S3422DWG, 7" Waveshare touchscreen
Case Kolink Citadel Mesh black
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z333 2.1 speakers, AKG Y50 headphones
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-750
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech G413 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro
Come on, we all know where this is going to go.

Fab-investments in China doesn't make China independent from the West. It makes them independent from Taiwan. "The West" doesn't make chips. Samsung (aka: Korea) and TSMC (aka: Taiwan) makes chips.
Taiwan manufactures them, but they're not designed there.

Taiwan manufactures them, but they're not designed there.

The Chinese companies Espressif, ChangXin Memory Technologies, AllWinner, Zhaoxin say otherwise.

--------

With regards to Taiwan, remember that MediaTek is Taiwanese, and a fair number of chips are designed entirely in Taiwan as well. Samsung designs and produces most of the RAM in the world too, so that's not Western tech either.

The chipmaking and chip-designing fields are extremely competitive. Its not obvious to me that "The West" is obviously superior for chips anymore. And this is going to be a big deal when it comes to missile production for the next war, its quite possible for China to outproduce us thanks to crazy tech-hubs like Shenzhen. Cities like Guangdong are extremely high-tech and have significant design services as well, with PH.d level designers.

And besides, when war breaks out, production is all that matters. USA is tied to Taiwan's production and we're separated by the Pacific Ocean. Meanwhile, Taiwan is within missile-range of China and a potential Chinese blockade of the island would completely shut down Taiwan's exports (and therefore negate USA from having NVidia, AMD, iPhone, or other chips). All of those designs will be worthless in the hypothetical battles. Fortunately, USA is forward thinking and we've managed to convince Taiwan/TSMC to build a factory in Arizona in case the worst-comes-to-worst, but its incredibly important for this Arizona factory to truly become productive.

-------

Look: only in China can you get a service like JLCPCB that can automatically design, assemble, and manufacture a board for cheap. They have significant technology, not just internet-based Web GUIs to make the Gerber->PCB process easy, but also legions of pick-and-place machines that are pre-loaded to automatically populate these boards and automatically send them to reflow ovens. The whole process is automated in a way that no Western company can compete against. (See these services here: https://jlcpcb.com/capabilities/pcb-assembly-capabilities). They are extremely innovative and mass-production driven. Do not discount their ingenuity just because they're our rivals.

EDIT: A naval battle today will primarily be chips vs chips. Chinese missiles will be trying to hit targets in Taiwan, while US Destroyers/Cruisers will be shooting Patriot missiles to defend against them. Missiles are made up of... chips... these days. Whoever can produce more PCBs and chips and create more high-quality missiles will be the winner of the contest. RADAR is run by chips. F35 Jets are run by chips. Chinese Spy Balloons are made up of chips. Drones are made up of chips.

Last edited:
System Name Not a thread ripper but pretty good.
Processor Ryzen 9 5950x
Motherboard ASRock X570 Taichi (revision 1.06, BIOS/UEFI version P5.50)
Cooling EK-Quantum Velocity, EK-Quantum Reflection PC-O11, EK-CoolStream PE 360, XSPC TX360
Memory Micron DDR4-3200 ECC Unbuffered Memory (4 sticks, 128GB, 18ASF4G72AZ-3G2F1)
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon RX 5700 & EK-Quantum Vector Radeon RX 5700 +XT & Backplate
Storage Samsung 2TB 980 PRO 2TB Gen4x4 NVMe, 2 x Samsung 2TB 970 EVO Plus Gen3x4 NVMe, AMD Radeon RAMDisk
Display(s) 2 x 4K LG 27UL600-W (and HUANUO Dual Monitor Mount)
Case Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic Black (original model)
Power Supply Corsair RM750x
Mouse Logitech M575
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2
Software Windows 10 Professional (64bit)
Benchmark Scores Typical for non-overclocked CPU.
The Chinese companies Espressif, ChangXin Memory Technologies, AllWinner, Zhaoxin say otherwise.

--------

With regards to Taiwan, remember that MediaTek is Taiwanese, and a fair number of chips are designed entirely in Taiwan as well. Samsung designs and produces most of the RAM in the world too, so that's not Western tech either.

The chipmaking and chip-designing fields are extremely competitive. Its not obvious to me that "The West" is obviously superior for chips anymore. And this is going to be a big deal when it comes to missile production for the next war, its quite possible for China to outproduce us thanks to crazy tech-hubs like Shenzhen. Cities like Guangdong are extremely high-tech and have significant design services as well, with PH.d level designers.

And besides, when war breaks out, production is all that matters. USA is tied to Taiwan's production and we're separated by the Pacific Ocean. Meanwhile, Taiwan is within missile-range of China and a potential Chinese blockade of the island would completely shut down Taiwan's exports (and therefore negate USA from having NVidia, AMD, iPhone, or other chips). All of those designs will be worthless in the hypothetical battles. Fortunately, USA is forward thinking and we've managed to convince Taiwan/TSMC to build a factory in Arizona in case the worst-comes-to-worst, but its incredibly important for this Arizona factory to truly become productive.

-------

Look: only in China can you get a service like JLCPCB that can automatically design, assemble, and manufacture a board for cheap. They have significant technology, not just internet-based Web GUIs to make the Gerber->PCB process easy, but also legions of pick-and-place machines that are pre-loaded to automatically populate these boards and automatically send them to reflow ovens. The whole process is automated in a way that no Western company can compete against. (See these services here: https://jlcpcb.com/capabilities/pcb-assembly-capabilities). They are extremely innovative and mass-production driven. Do not discount their ingenuity just because they're our rivals.

EDIT: A naval battle today will primarily be chips vs chips. Chinese missiles will be trying to hit targets in Taiwan, while US Destroyers/Cruisers will be shooting Patriot missiles to defend against them. Missiles are made up of... chips... these days. Whoever can produce more PCBs and chips and create more high-quality missiles will be the winner of the contest. RADAR is run by chips. F35 Jets are run by chips. Chinese Spy Balloons are made up of chips. Drones are made up of chips.
And pretty soon Elon will have chips in heads too which eventually means combat cyborgs.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage Intel 905p Optane 960GB boot, +2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64 / Windows 11 Enterprise IoT 2024
And pretty soon Elon will have chips in heads too which eventually means combat cyborgs.
Honestly that's most likely just going to kill a bunch of people like the monkeys he prototyped it on.

System Name Nebulon B
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7700X
Motherboard MSi PRO B650M-A WiFi
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory 2x 16 GB Corsair Vengeance EXPO DDR5-6000
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 6750 XT 12 GB
Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 4 + 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Display(s) Dell S3422DWG, 7" Waveshare touchscreen
Case Kolink Citadel Mesh black
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z333 2.1 speakers, AKG Y50 headphones
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-750
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech G413 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro
System Name Not a thread ripper but pretty good.
Processor Ryzen 9 5950x
Motherboard ASRock X570 Taichi (revision 1.06, BIOS/UEFI version P5.50)
Cooling EK-Quantum Velocity, EK-Quantum Reflection PC-O11, EK-CoolStream PE 360, XSPC TX360
Memory Micron DDR4-3200 ECC Unbuffered Memory (4 sticks, 128GB, 18ASF4G72AZ-3G2F1)
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon RX 5700 & EK-Quantum Vector Radeon RX 5700 +XT & Backplate
Storage Samsung 2TB 980 PRO 2TB Gen4x4 NVMe, 2 x Samsung 2TB 970 EVO Plus Gen3x4 NVMe, AMD Radeon RAMDisk
Display(s) 2 x 4K LG 27UL600-W (and HUANUO Dual Monitor Mount)
Case Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic Black (original model)
Power Supply Corsair RM750x
Mouse Logitech M575
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2
Software Windows 10 Professional (64bit)
Benchmark Scores Typical for non-overclocked CPU.
Honestly that's most likely just going to kill a bunch of people like the monkeys he prototyped it on.
Can't be worse than cough, cough... nevermind I won't go there.

System Name The Phantom in the Black Tower
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard ASRock X570 Pro4 AM4
Cooling AMD Wraith Prism, 5 x Cooler Master Sickleflow 120mm
Memory 64GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3600 CL18 (4×16GB)
Video Card(s) ASRock Radeon RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming OC 24GB
Storage WDS500G3X0E (OS), WDS100T2B0C, TM8FP6002T0C101 (x2) and ~40TB of total HDD space
Display(s) Haier 55E5500U 55" 2160p60Hz
Case Ultra U12-40670 Super Tower
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z200
Power Supply EVGA 1000 G2 Supernova 1kW 80+Gold-Certified
Mouse Logitech MK320
Keyboard Logitech MK320
VR HMD None
Software Windows 10 Professional
Benchmark Scores Fire Strike Ultra: 19484 Time Spy Extreme: 11006 Port Royal: 16545 SuperPosition 4K Optimised: 23439
Though they like to think they do
Yup. No argument there.

I'd be leery to welcome any stolen Chinese technology. I love competition but China does not play by the rules and they dont care about the consumer.
And what, the USA does? Please tell me that you're saying this ironically because the USA doesn't even care enough about its own people to implement universal healthcare.

I think the article says in a few lines almost everything that needs to be said. This particular expert opinion was laconic but comprehensive.
I love the use of the word "laconic" to describe that sentence. As the Spartans said to King Phillip of Macedon... "If". ;)

There is a reason Huawei was excluded from supplying components for building critical 5G infrastructure in most European countries.
To this day, we still don't know what those reasons are and since exposing Huawei would do nothing to harm national security but would do everything to gain public favour, the fact that they've said nothing tells me that this is just the US rigging the system in favour of their tech and companies. I'm no fan of China, but I'm also not stupid enough to think that the USA cares about any interests that aren't its own.
Whether that reason was based on fear or undisclosed information I don't know
And THAT right there, is the problem.
In my country, the dominant telecommunication company is planning on suing the government, over the increase in cost of
having to use other suppliers than Huawei, which they were planning to use extensively. For one I feel better knowing that the entire
5G network in my country isn't based on one Chinese supplier.
You're just as screwed if it's one American supplier.
I assume the same logic was used when the US imposed sanctions on certain Chinese companies.
Yup, logic that was never explained and is probably a pack of lies like "Weapons of Mass-Destruction".

The use of US developed technology
The equipment for fabbing silicon isn't American, it's Dutch.
China doesn't respect IP, what they have it's mostly stolen, even their military equipment
It appears that the USA doesn't respect IP either by telling other countries who they can and cannot sell their technology to.
China will do what it likes, they always have.
Funny, that sounds exactly like the USA, eh? :laugh:
Well if that's the excuse, I thinks it's high time for the US to do whatever the f**k it wants. Let's see how that works out.
We've been seeing the USA do whatever the f**k it wants for the last 50 years. Things have not gone well. Where the hell have you been? :kookoo:

We've been seeing the USA do whatever the f**k it wants for the last 50 years. Things have not gone well. Where the hell have you been? :kookoo:

I see your 50 years and raise you to 138 years (aka, year 1885)

1698956621674.png

There's certainly issues with our politics and behaviors. But abstractly just shitting on everything without context isn't helpful IMO. I've hoped to elevate the discussion with my previous points by drilling into the specific issues at play with the geopolitics with this US Government vs China vs TSMC/Taiwan thing going on.

The biggest play, right now, is the rise of Chinese Wolf Warrior diplomacy in recent years (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolf_warrior_diplomacy), turning them into a far more aggressive state today, than they were 10 or 20 years ago. Why are they becoming so militant? Why did the Chinese build a Navy that now outnumbers the US Navy? Why are the Chinese building the world's fastest missiles that can pierce any anti-missile defense system? The answer is obvious, they're preparing to fight the USA, and based on simulations and wargames, it seems like they're doing a good job at these preparations.

All diplomacy has to be in context. The growth of Chinese chipmaking capabilities, especially with regards to RADAR / targeting systems that directly lead to improved missiles, is making it really easy to see where the next decade is going.

Well, at least easy for the people paying attention. And I hope enough people are paying attention to the issue.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.