• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

US Government to Announce Massive Grant for Intel's Arizona Facility

Processor Ryzen 5700x
Motherboard Gigabyte X570S Aero G R1.1 BiosF5g
Cooling Noctua NH-C12P SE14 w/ NF-A15 HS-PWM Fan 1500rpm
Memory Micron DDR4-3200 2x32GB D.S. D.R. (CT2K32G4DFD832A)
Video Card(s) AMD RX 6800 - Asus Tuf
Storage Kingston KC3000 1TB & 2TB & 4TB Corsair LPX
Display(s) LG 27UL550-W (27" 4k)
Case Be Quiet Pure Base 600 (no window)
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220-VB
Power Supply SuperFlower Leadex V Gold Pro 850W ATX Ver2.52
Mouse Mionix Naos Pro
Keyboard Corsair Strafe with browns
Software W10 22H2 Pro x64
"the US government is preparing to announce a multi-billion dollar grant for Intel's chip manufacturing operations in Arizona next week, possibly worth more than $10 billion."

For one of the highest earning companies in the states?!?!

What have they been doing with all those profits from the past decade??

System Name Daves
Processor AMD Ryzen 3900x
Motherboard AsRock X570 Taichi
Cooling Enermax LIQMAX III 360
Memory 32 GiG Team Group B Die 3600
Video Card(s) Powercolor 5700 xt Red Devil
Storage Crucial MX 500 SSD and Intel P660 NVME 2TB for games
Display(s) Acer 144htz 27in. 2560x1440
Case Phanteks P600S
Audio Device(s) N/A
Power Supply Corsair RM 750
Mouse EVGA
Keyboard Corsair Strafe
Software Windows 10 Pro
"the US government is preparing to announce a multi-billion dollar grant for Intel's chip manufacturing operations in Arizona next week, possibly worth more than $10 billion."

Lining the pockets of other FAT CATS with big cigars..

System Name Personal \\ Work - HP EliteBook 840 G6
Processor 7700X \\ i7-8565U
Motherboard Asrock X670E PG Lightning
Cooling Noctua DH-15
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Black 32GB 6000MHz CL36 \\ 16GB DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) ASUS RoG Strix 1070 Ti \\ Intel UHD Graphics 620
Storage 2x KC3000 2TB, Samsung 970 EVO 512GB \\ OEM 256GB NVMe SSD
Display(s) BenQ XL2411Z \\ FullHD + 2x HP Z24i external screens via docking station
Case Fractal Design Define Arc Midi R2 with window
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150 with Logitech Z533
Power Supply Corsair AX860i
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Corsair K55 RGB PRO
Software Windows 11 \\ Windows 10
Why? ASML is Dutch...

ASML only makes litography equipment but they don't have fabs. If Taiwan was to blow up right now we would be left without CPU's and majority of microcontrollers for a forseeable future.

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
Motherboard Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero WiFi
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420
Memory 32Gb G-Skill Trident Z Neo @3806MHz C14
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX2070
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 1TB
Display(s) Samsung G9 49" Curved Ultrawide
Case Cooler Master Cosmos
Audio Device(s) O2 USB Headphone AMP
Power Supply Corsair HX850i
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Cherry MX
Software Windows 11
Let me put a different perspective to this discussion: how would you feel about grants for more chip manufacturing in the US within the context of China taking over Taiwan and the control of 61% of the global market?
We all know it won't help. Even if the west had the capacity to take over from TSMC, we all know the price fixing that has gone on since the pandemic, and it's just any excuse to put prices up. So spend billions to then double or triple the prices anyway. Either way, were screwed, and the corporations drip with gold.

Luxury houses and yachts and stuff aren't cheap, you know.
Not to mention they may have invested money in other businesses (not always successfully, quite obviously).

After reading through all the comments, in the end, this government investment will directly aid Intel in the making of its own products over the competition. The US government should not be putting its finger on the scale to the benefit of more Core Ultras and Xeons unless they have secured a guaranteed promise that Intel will manufacture only third party chips with fabs built using government funding. Of course that will not happen.

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
Motherboard Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero WiFi
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420
Memory 32Gb G-Skill Trident Z Neo @3806MHz C14
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX2070
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 1TB
Display(s) Samsung G9 49" Curved Ultrawide
Case Cooler Master Cosmos
Audio Device(s) O2 USB Headphone AMP
Power Supply Corsair HX850i
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Cherry MX
Software Windows 11
After reading through all the comments, in the end, this government investment will directly aid Intel in the making of its own products over the competition. The US government should not be putting its finger on the scale to the benefit of more Core Ultras and Xeons unless they have secured a guaranteed promise that Intel will manufacture only third party chips with fabs built using government funding. Of course that will not happen.
Exactly, it is an unfair advantage they are being given. That money will be spent on R&D to help Intel against its competitor. People forget just how many fabs Intel has.

System Name DadsBadAss
Processor I7 13700k w/ HEATKILLER IV PRO Copper Nickel
Motherboard MSI Z790 Tomahawk Wifi DDR4
Cooling BarrowCH Boxfish 200mm-HWLabs SR2 420/GTX&GTS 360-BP Dual D5 MOD TOP- 2x Koolance PMP 450S
Memory 4x8gb HyperX Predator RGB DDR4 4000
Video Card(s) Asrock 6800xt PG D w/ Byski A-AR6900XT-X
Storage WD SN850x 1TB NVME M.2/Adata XPG SX8200 PRO 1TB NVMe M.2
Display(s) Acer XG270HU
Case ThermalTake X71 w/5 Noctua NF-A14 2000 IP67 PWM/3 Noctua NF-F12 2000 IP67 PWM/3 CorsairML120 Pro RGB
Audio Device(s) Klipsch Promedia 2.1
Power Supply Seasonic Focus PX-850 w/CableMod PRO ModMesh RT-Series Black/Blue
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Black Aluminun Mechanical Clicky Thing With Blue LEDs, hows that for a name?!
Software Win11pro
Someone remind me...whats the purpose of Intel, TSMC, GF, Samsung etc...building these fabs on US soil again. I seem to have forgotten. :(

Exactly, it is an unfair advantage they are being given. That money will be spent on R&D to help Intel against its competitor. People forget just how many fabs Intel has.

The US government doesn't seem to care that much about the CPU war itself, but the foundry war and local production. And technically the competition can also benefit from that move IF is open to everyone. I've seen people say that AMD/Apple/Nvidia can't do that because Intel will steal their chip design...
But Samsung Electronics made chips for Qualcomm, without ever turning their Exynos into Snapdragon clones.

I also really doubt that clients don't have a protection about that. That would be dumb, and that would also be dumb for Intel to do that, and harm their reputation and abilities to get clients. Intel foundry became open by necessity, not charity. They need external clients to keep the foundry alive. GF decided to stop doing bleeding edge because they failed to make benefits from it :
Gary Patton: Clearly as a technical guy, I love the tech challenges of bleeding edge, but for our employees, for our customers, for our shareholders, at the end of the day we have to be a profitable business and a sustainably profitable business. We all stared at the numbers, and it was pretty clear that for the bleeding edge stuff, the [return on investment] is continuing to erode. I think you see in the press and you’ve probably written about it—Moore’s Law is slowing down. There are fewer customers at the leading edge. The capacity needed at the leading edge is going down with each [manufacturing process technology] node, and at the same time the R&D expense is escalating. It’s tough to get off of the R&D spending drug and sit back and actually rake in the revenue.
GlobalFoundries CTO on Why the Company Abandoned the “Bleeding Edge” - IEEE Spectrum

You can't just snap a bleeding edge foundry into existence, if the volume of clients is too low, whatever start-up the US gov would decide to back-up might make the same move as GF after a while, making it a bad investment.

Last edited:

tfp

Wait until you hear about the kind of money big government spends subsiding the Auto industry, Agriculture, Airplane and Defense contractors, Energy (a lot to Oil and Gas), the Banking Industry, other Tech Companies, Media Conglomerates, etc...

Wait until you hear about the kind of money big government spends subsiding the Auto industry, Agriculture, Airplane and Defense contractors, Energy (a lot to Oil and Gas), the Banking Industry, other Tech Companies, Media Conglomerates, etc...

Yes and I’m sure enthusiast sites belonging to each of those industries discusses those subsidies on their webpages. Since Intel and TPU belong in the same industry, we are discussing Intel’s subsidies here.

The US government doesn't seem to care that much about the CPU war itself, but the foundry war and local production. And technically the competition can also benefit from that move IF is open to everyone. I've seen people say that AMD/Apple/Nvidia can't do that because Intel will steal their chip design...
But Samsung Electronics made chips for Qualcomm, without ever turning their Exynos into Snapdragon clones.

I also really doubt that clients don't have a protection about that. That would be dumb, and that would also be dumb for Intel to do that, and harm their reputation and abilities to get clients. Intel foundry became open by necessity, not charity. They need external clients to keep the foundry alive. GF decided to stop doing bleeding edge because they failed to make benefits from it :

GlobalFoundries CTO on Why the Company Abandoned the “Bleeding Edge” - IEEE Spectrum

You can't just snap a bleeding edge foundry into existence, if the volume of clients is too low, whatever start-up the US gov would decide to back-up might make the same move as GF after a while, making it a bad investment.

Since you bring up GloFo, I’m not entirely sure they shouldn’t get these subsidies. I bet each dollar of that $10 billion would be much better spent on lower tech, higher yield nodes and chips. Glofo had the courage to stop going down the advanced tech rabbit hole. I trust Glofo more than Intel and Intel’s ocean of powerpoint slides.

Since you bring up GloFo, I’m not entirely sure they shouldn’t get these subsidies. I bet each dollar of that $10 billion would be much better spent on lower tech, higher yield nodes and chips. Glofo had the courage to stop going down the advanced tech rabbit hole. I trust Glofo more than Intel and Intel’s ocean of powerpoint slides.
Global Foundries do benefits from the Chips act, they got $1,5 billion. I'm not a fab expert, but I would guess that older tech that already been figured out and needs machines less expensive than ASML latest and greatest need less money.
GlobalFoundries and Biden-Harris Administration Announce CHIPS and Science Act Funding for Essential Chip Manufacturing | GlobalFoundries
But from what I know from the US, focusing on older tech while watching Taiwan and Korea pull ahead and becomes the uncontested leaders in chips manufacturing isn't on brand. Just look at all the shit that they pulled once China became too hot on their heels as a technological power. The US will never accept to lose that race. Heck, even the EU who was never in that race is trying to get local bleeding edge manufacturing.

The EU is more balanced though, GF and STM got €2.9 billions for low tech, TSMC got €3,5 billion for low-tech, and Intel €9billion for Bleeding edge (for a fab that will cost €30billion).

I get that people dislike Intel, but the reality of the situation is that nobody is going to put their eggs into the same basket. The EU wanted TSMC to build bleeding edge as well... but they refused. 10 years from now, you don't know if organisational or political changes might prompt TSMC to stop doing bleeding edge outside of Taiwan. China military forces are also getting more active near the island. Nobody want to be caught off-guard if shyte hit the fan.

System Name BigRed
Processor I7 12700k
Motherboard Asus Rog Strix z690-A WiFi D4
Cooling Noctua D15s/MX6
Memory TEAM GROUP 32GB DDR4 4000C16 B die
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 3080 Gaming Trio X 10GB
Storage M.2 drives-Crucial P5 500GB 4x4/WD SN850X 4TB 4x4/WD SN850X 2TB 4x4
Display(s) Dell s3422dwg 34" 3440x1440p 144hz ultrawide
Case Corsair 7000D
Audio Device(s) Topping D10s DAC/PCamp TC 1680 AMP/MS M10 Speakers/Bowers and Wilkins P7 Headphones
Power Supply Corsair RM850x 80% gold
Mouse Logitech G604 wireless
Keyboard Logitech G413 carbon
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Who cares
Global Foundries do benefits from the Chips act, they got $1,5 billion. I'm not a fab expert, but I would guess that older tech that already been figured out and needs machines less expensive than ASML latest and greatest need less money.
GlobalFoundries and Biden-Harris Administration Announce CHIPS and Science Act Funding for Essential Chip Manufacturing | GlobalFoundries
But from what I know from the US, focusing on older tech while watching Taiwan and Korea pull ahead and becomes the uncontested leaders in chips manufacturing isn't on brand. Just look at all the shit that they pulled once China became too hot on their heels as a technological power. The US will never accept to lose that race. Heck, even the EU who was never in that race is trying to get local bleeding edge manufacturing.

The EU is more balanced though, GF and STM got €2.9 billions for low tech, TSMC got €3,5 billion for low-tech, and Intel €9billion for Bleeding edge (for a fab that will cost €30billion).

I get that people dislike Intel, but the reality of the situation is that nobody is going to put their eggs into the same basket. The EU wanted TSMC to build bleeding edge as well... but they refused. 10 years from now, you don't know if organisational or political changes might prompt TSMC to stop doing bleeding edge outside of Taiwan. China military forces are also getting more active near the island. Nobody want to be caught off-guard if shyte hit the fan.

Yeah IF china do go in, they might keep TSMC for themselves, i doubt it, but never know if the chinese are mad enough or not.

System Name Lenovo LOQ 15
Processor Ryzen 7 7840HS
Memory Crucial 32GB (2 x 16) DDR5 5600 SODIMM
Video Card(s) RTX 4050 Mobile OC @ 2.8 GHz (dGPU)/ Radeon 780M (iGPU)
Storage Micron MTFDKCD512TFK 512GB (Will Upgrade)
Display(s) 1080p 144Hz Laptop Display
Audio Device(s) Laptop Realtek Speakers (Dolby Atmos for Headphones)
Software Windows 11
Some of you people literally stretched out the meaning of this so much that it almost became meaningless by itself. Its literally like your mother giving you 50 bucks (investment) for a lemonade stand as her initiative to make more homemade businesses among her children. Governments give money to those businesses as a bet that their local industries will grow rather than the intention to bend over the poor. And that's a good thing.