• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

What headphones is it reasonable to upgrade to?

System Name DLSS / YOLO-PC
Processor i5-12400F / 10600KF
Motherboard Gigabyte B760M DS3H / Z490 Vision D
Cooling Laminar RM1 / Gammaxx 400
Memory 32 GB DDR4-3200 / 16 GB DDR4-3333
Video Card(s) RX 6700 XT / R9 380 2 GB
Storage A couple SSDs, m.2 NVMe included / 240 GB CX1 + 1 TB WD HDD
Display(s) Compit HA2704 / Viewsonic VX3276-MHD-2
Case Matrexx 55 / Junkyard special
Audio Device(s) Want loud, use headphones. Want quiet, use satellites.
Power Supply Thermaltake 1000 W / Corsair CX650M / DQ550ST [backup]
Mouse Don't disturb, cheese eating in progress...
Keyboard Makes some noise. Probably onto something.
VR HMD I live in real reality and don't need a virtual one.
Software Windows 10 and 11
@Mister300

I don't genuinely know how to respond to that but what you suggest is more than TWENTY times more than my budget.

System Name Locutus TT P90 open air case
Processor Intel I7 12700K
Motherboard Asus Z690 WIFI D4
Cooling NZXT 280 mm AIO
Memory 32 Gig Corsair Vengeance 3600 DDR4
Video Card(s) Zotac 3080 Holo LHR
Storage 3 various branded SSDs and 6 TB Seagate HD
Display(s) LG 32'' g-sync 144 Hz VA IPS
Case P90 open air case
Power Supply EVGA G2 1 KW
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Corsair Strafe
Software Win 11 Pro
You are misinterpreting what I meant, what I would do is take your current set of cans and listen to them on a price no object system and then compare it to a flagship set of cans and see if the law of diminishing returns matters. For example my daily diver headphones are 100 USD Grados when I compare them to a headset 5X in price it just wasn't worth it. Most of what you do not like is due to the source not the headset.

@photonboy, I am not having a go at you specifically. You taking the time to post information is 100% agreeable, just its all analogue systems.
When people talk about fidelity with analogue, it sort of winds me up, no such thing as lossless analogue.

The amount of money that has to be spent to get something similar to lossless digital. These days analogue should be redundant.

For me two terms apply, lossless and true sound, anything else is a waste of money. This is my opinion :)

Lossless sound into a true sound speaker or headphones, something you wont see with analogue early in the system.
Even AVR's vary in signature, and none can do lossless out with a DAC and amp (analogue).

The future (not so sure about the 18 bits part myself): No Amplifiers here. – ECdesigns

====

It is possible to compensate for some or maybe all of the signature of both the unit and emitter, with PCM processing (digital).
You would alter the PCM to make the output (emitter) close or equal to the original PCM input (tuning).

====

It seems OP is looking for mid range headphones with flat response, no new DAC.

Last edited: