• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Why doesn't every house have solar installed?

Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master
Cooling ARCTIC Liquid Freezer III 360 A-RGB
Memory 32 GB Ballistix Elite DDR4-3600 CL16
Video Card(s) XFX 6800 XT Speedster Merc 319 Black
Storage Sabrent Rocket NVMe 4.0 1TB
Display(s) LG 27GL850B x 2 / ASUS MG278Q
Case be quiet! Silent Base 802
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster AE-7 / Sennheiser HD 660S
Power Supply Seasonic Vertex PX-1200
Software Windows 11 Pro 64
My neighbor down the road had their new roof mounted solar panels up for about two months before a hailstorm with 1.5" hailstones rendered them useless.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
My roof started leaking after 17 years after the house was made.

It turns out the roofers who built this house sucked. The new roofers pointed out issues with the original construction and fixed it up for me. But... if I were unlucky with hail, wind or other storm damage, my roof would have lasted less time (as is common in US's Southern states).

IIRC, the Southern states don't even use high-quality roofs anymore, because the winds/hail/storms are so strong that even the strongest Architectural Shingles with "50 years" don't really last much more than 10 years best case, maybe 5 years (or really, whenever you want to play dice with the next major hailstorm).

--------

This idea of 25+ year solar panels is fine... if the solar panels were alone. But if they're on your roof, then its the min(lifespan_of_roof, lifespan_of_solar). 25+ years is grossly optimistic, most roofs in USA are 20 year roofs.
Well yeah sure but those are the perks of owning a house eh. There's always something and it all begins and ends with how the initial construction was. We're pretty lucky here in NL, the building standards are constantly revised and 1976 wasn't a 'bad year' in that sense, so I just know certain things are of a certain quality. Its definitely a factor to consider, I agree. That also makes the perspective on solar panels and other energy transition related improvements to your personal space so varied. It all depends entirely on what your options are, how accessible they are, etc.

Yep the same thing happened over here, the company that put the solar on my roof has gone poof too just a month ago. But; the installation is still covered by a national NGO and I have a certificate for it.

Let's say your roof develops a leak, and you have solar panels on your roof. What is your plan?

Because we all know what needs to happen. You need to uninstall the panels, then reroof the house and then finally pay for reinstallation of those panels. You are now spending a ton of labor and maintenance for a relatively common situation.
You get a ladder and tools, a buddy, and together you remove the few panels you need to remove to reach the spot you need to fix, you open it up, you fix it, and you put the stuff back where it was and turn your system on again.

Its not rocket science. I can just lift the roof tiles that I need to lift after the panel is off the frame because its fixed under the tiles. When I was 15 I put solar on the roof of our shed with my dad. 4 panels. It was child's play. So maybe now I'll spend a day instead of half a day to fix the low-chance event of a roof leaking. Its a non issue. And that's coming from an IT nerd, not a handyman :)

Last edited:
You get a ladder and tools, a buddy, and together you remove the few panels you need to remove to reach the spot you need to fix, you open it up, you fix it, and you put the stuff back where it was and turn your system on again.

The difficult part is figuring out which panels to remove and which shingles to replace... that's often a trial-and-error process as you traverse the roof looking for damage (possibly guided by information from the inside attic. But there's no guarantee that the leaks you see in the attic line up to the damaged singles outside). And after 20 years (for a typical American Roof), the lifetime of the roof shingles has been worn out, so its probably a good idea to start replacing the whole roof once issues develop. Since other singles are expected to fail anyway.

In any case, I simply don't expect 25+ years or more of Solar Panels. Roofs are just replaced on a more frequent basis than that around here.

And every time a roof issue pops up, those panels will be in the way, driving up costs and hassle. Sure, if you can magically know exactly which shingles to replace in any of these jobs it'd be fine and easy. But that's just not the reality of roofing projects.

-------

Its an additional complication. A needless one. Community Solar is cheaper anyway since I pay $0 ahead of time and instead just rent out my share of the solar community farm. And I'm supporting the solar power industry my way anyway since most of my electricity usage comes from the solar farm in my area.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
The difficult part is figuring out which panels to remove and which shingles to replace... that's often a trial-and-error process as you traverse the roof looking for damage (possibly guided by information from the inside attic. But there's no guarantee that the leaks you see in the attic line up to the damaged singles outside). And after 20 years (for a typical American Roof), the lifetime of the roof shingles has been worn out, so its probably a good idea to start replacing the whole roof once issues develop. Since other singles are expected to fail anyway.

In any case, I simply don't expect 25+ years or more of Solar Panels. Roofs are just replaced on a more frequent basis than that around here.

And every time a roof issue pops up, those panels will be in the way, driving up costs and hassle. Sure, if you can magically know exactly which shingles to replace in any of these jobs it'd be fine and easy. But that's just not the reality of roofing projects.

-------

Its an additional complication. A needless one. Community Solar is cheaper anyway since I pay $0 ahead of time and instead just rent out my share of the solar community farm. And I'm supporting the solar power industry my way anyway since most of my electricity usage comes from the solar farm in my area.
Right well, in my 38 years I've yet to encounter a roof issue :)

Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASRock X670E Taichi
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 Chromax
Memory 32GB DDR5 6000 CL30
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4090 Trio
Storage Too much
Display(s) Acer Predator XB3 27" 240 Hz
Case Thermaltake Core X9
Audio Device(s) Topping DX5, DCA Aeon II
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Titanium 850w
Mouse G305
Keyboard Wooting HE60
VR HMD Valve Index
Software Win 10
Things like solar, hydro, geothermal, wind etc. are all supplementary/local sources of power, there needs to be large scale baseline generation for the grid, as clean as possible.

Hydro and Geothermal produce power all day, those are straight up baseline. All the remaining are baseline with any battery system or ability to import green energy from distance.

The US can upgrade it's transmission lines to allow mass power generation in green markets that is then sold to markets where green energy is less available. This would reduce the cost of electricity nationwide, incentivize investments into prime spots for green energy production, improve grid resilience, and greatly reduce the need for large battery storage systems as areas could tap into different green energy markets depending on their power generation schedules. This is just something that should be done regardless.

Batteries don't need to be chemical batteries either. They could use a combination of recycled batteries with natural batteries like sand, elevating water, ect. That way you aren't adding to any waste and pollution problems.

System Name Skunkworks
Processor 5800x3d
Motherboard x570 unify
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB 3600 mhz
Video Card(s) asrock 6800xt challenger D
Storage Sabarent rocket 4.0 2TB, MX 500 2TB
Display(s) Asus 1440p144 27"
Case Old arse cooler master 932
Power Supply Corsair 1200w platinum
Mouse *squeak*
Keyboard Some old office thing
Software openSUSE tumbleweed/Mint 21.2
Hydro and Geothermal produce power all day, those are straight up baseline. All the remaining are baseline with any battery system or ability to import green energy from distance.

The US can upgrade it's transmission lines to allow mass power generation in green markets that is then sold to markets where green energy is less available. This would reduce the cost of electricity nationwide, incentivize investments into prime spots for green energy production, improve grid resilience, and greatly reduce the need for large battery storage systems as areas could tap into different green energy markets depending on their power generation schedules. This is just something that should be done regardless.

Batteries don't need to be chemical batteries either. They could use a combination of recycled batteries with natural batteries like sand, elevating water, ect. That way you aren't adding to any waste and pollution problems.
If it were so simple to simply "upgrade the transmission lines", then why didnt they do it decades ago with nuclear power? Build a REALLY big nuclear complex in the middle of nowhere, then transmit the power to where people are!

Moving power becomes exponentially more complicated, wasteful, and expensive the longer the range gets. It isnt feasible to power a wal mart in new york from solar panels in arizona.

System Name G-Station 1.17 FINAL
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X470 Aorus Gaming 7 Wi-Fi
Cooling DeepCool AK620 Digital
Memory Asgard Bragi DDR4-3600CL14 2x16GB
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 7900 XTX
Storage 240GB Samsung 840 Evo, 1TB Asgard AN2, 2TB Hiksemi FUTURE-LITE, 320GB+1TB 7200RPM HDD
Display(s) Samsung 34" Odyssey OLED G8
Case Thermaltake Level 20 MT
Audio Device(s) Astro A40 TR + MixAmp
Power Supply Cougar GEX X2 1000W
Mouse Razer Viper Ultimate
Keyboard Razer Huntsman Elite (Red)
Software Windows 11 Pro
If it were so simple to simply "upgrade the transmission lines", then why didnt they do it decades ago with nuclear power? Build a REALLY big nuclear complex in the middle of nowhere, then transmit the power to where people are!

Moving power becomes exponentially more complicated, wasteful, and expensive the longer the range gets. It isnt feasible to power a wal mart in new york from solar panels in arizona.
If Brazil can build HVDC lines over 2500km from the power stations to where their power is actually needed, so can the USA. That's called planning and investing. Costly for sure, but it pays off FAST.

Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASRock X670E Taichi
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 Chromax
Memory 32GB DDR5 6000 CL30
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4090 Trio
Storage Too much
Display(s) Acer Predator XB3 27" 240 Hz
Case Thermaltake Core X9
Audio Device(s) Topping DX5, DCA Aeon II
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Titanium 850w
Mouse G305
Keyboard Wooting HE60
VR HMD Valve Index
Software Win 10

Probably because that's a terrible idea, full stop. Nuclear plants rely on highly skilled labor and a rotating cadre of skilled contractors in addition to it's regular staff. You would need to make a whole town to support such a grouping of nuclear plants and at the point you defeat the purpose of the moving it to the middle of nowhere in the first place. It be very expensive to boot, not only are you paying for the nuclear plants but you are paying for housing, entertainment, restaurants, public facilities, ect. In addition you typically need large volumes of water for nuclear and almost always people settle near water. It makes zero sense to move it to the middle of nowhere to begin with so long as the facility is properly designed, the staff competent, and safety protocols followed. For nuclear plants, multiple safeguards have to fail for something bad to happen. Even in the event of a catastrophe like Fukushima for example, the amount of radiation that actually fell was minimal. Kyle Hill did a documentary on it and demonstrated that the Japanese government was likely too zealous in evacuating areas that received no significant amount of radiation.

Moving power longer distances is a matter of higher voltage and air gapping. It's nothing complicated and multiple plans have been proposed since 2013 to improve long distance trasmission.

You can build higher capacity, higher voltage lines for an additional 20% premium over the cost of replacing cables that are already in need of replacement: https://www.eenews.net/articles/landmark-grid-plans-may-remake-electricity-if-biden-beats-trump/

The cost of the lines themselves isn't high, especially compared to the cost of other infrastructure projects.

The complicated part isn't the transmission lines themselves but getting the various power companies to sign off. A problem the DOE has been addressing the last few years laying the groundwork for improved inter-regional capacity.

System Name 192.168.1.1~192.168.1.100
Processor AMD Ryzen5 5600G.
Motherboard Gigabyte B550m DS3H.
Cooling AMD Wraith Stealth.
Memory 16GB Crucial DDR4.
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 1080 OC (Underclocked, underpowered).
Storage Samsung 980 NVME 500GB && Assortment of SSDs.
Display(s) ViewSonic VA2406-MH 75Hz
Case Bitfenix Nova Midi
Audio Device(s) On-Board.
Power Supply SeaSonic CORE GM-650.
Mouse Logitech G300s
Keyboard Kingston HyperX Alloy FPS.
VR HMD A pair of OP spectacles.
Software Ubuntu 24.04 LTS.
Benchmark Scores Me no know English. What bench mean? Bench like one sit on?
Their first load is the physical force of their weight,
Which, as demonstrated, is not much of an issue.
(I'm surprised no one has countered with the negative pressure argument yet, which is a genuine concern. Mitigable, but still a concern)

and the second force is that they are an extremely rigid body that has a dramatically different thermal expansion coefficient to wood.
Thermal expansion/contraction is an issue with long spans/large areas. PV panels are usually limited in that department. They measure much less, I'd wager, than your average metallic roofing sheets.
Even where this could be an issue (mounting rails come to mind), expansion joints are a thing.

As others have stated "licensed contractors" who presumably "know what they are doing" can build a leaky roof over time, but solar is basically puncturing extra holes in your roof to test if they were really good at their job
"Records show 'licensed contractors' who presumably 'know what they are doing' can build single-story houses that fail within a few years, but duplexes are basically stacking two of them over each other to test if they were really good at their job."
If the existence of bad contractor was an argument for anything, we should go back to living in caves.

Not everything can "just be taken down and put back up." Likewise, you wouldn't want to take a solar array off without completely reinstalling the outside layer of your roofing material due to all of the required seal penetrations. I applaud your dedication to working, and not throwing away good things. That said...reinstalling a solar assembly isn't as easy as you make it sound, and taking it off requires any rational person commit to a new roof or rolling a very dangerous set of dice to determine if they believe they aren't going to experience some potentially very expensive damage.
The "disassemble then reinstall" statement was made in the context of carrying out repairs on the said roof.
Panels and their mounts are two separate things. Removing a panel does not require removing whatever penetrates the outer layers of your roof.

System Name Locutus TT P90 open air case
Processor Intel I7 12700K
Motherboard Asus Z690 WIFI D4
Cooling NZXT 280 mm AIO
Memory 32 Gig Corsair Vengeance 3600 DDR4
Video Card(s) Zotac 3080 Holo LHR
Storage 3 various branded SSDs and 6 TB Seagate HD
Display(s) LG 32'' g-sync 144 Hz VA IPS
Case P90 open air case
Power Supply EVGA G2 1 KW
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Corsair Strafe
Software Win 11 Pro
System Name Desktop-TJ84TBK
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix B350-F Gaming
Cooling ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 120mm, Noctua NF-F12
Memory B-Die 2x8GB 3200 CL14, Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200 CL16, OC'd to 3333 MT/s C16-16-16-32 tRC 48
Video Card(s) PNY GTX 690
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB, MX500 500GB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Black 2TB, WD Caviar Green 3TB, Intel Optane 16GB
Display(s) Sceptre M25 1080p200, ASUS 1080p74, Apple Studio Display M7649 17"
Case Rosewill CRUISER Black Gaming
Audio Device(s) SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS GM-750
Mouse Kensington K72369
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow Ultimate 2013
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit, macOS 11.7.8
Benchmark Scores are good
our old house doesn't get any sunlight due to thick tree cover, so solar would be useless.

v12dock

Block Caption of Rainey Street
Supporter
our old house doesn't get any sunlight due to thick tree cover, so solar would be useless.
Let me guess, your location is Chicago? LOL. I'm downstate, and I'm glad I don't have ComEd. Ameren still allows net metering, so I will certainly let them be my "battery." However, trees do render it useless.

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs, 24TB Enterprise drives
Display(s) 55" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
If Brazil can build HVDC lines over 2500km from the power stations to where their power is actually needed, so can the USA. That's called planning and investing. Costly for sure, but it pays off FAST.
Brazil uses hydroelectric for obvious reasons that aren't available elsewhere, and their reliance on sugarcane and deforestation to support their sugar market and have these remote biomass burning power plants is worse for the environment than nuclear.