• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Windows XP Optimization Guide

POGE

Processor Turion 64 ML-34 1.8Ghz
Motherboard Compaq Laptop Mobo
Cooling Stock Compaq Laptop Fan
Memory 1x 256 DDR333
Video Card(s) Radeon 200m
Storage 40GB 5200RPM HP
Display(s) Stock Laptop LCD
Case Laptop Case
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek
Power Supply Stock Laptop Powerbrick
Software Windows XP Pro
If you guys have any suggestions you want PM me and I'll have deathstar update this... :) (he is a busy guy, doesnt appear on these forums much)

Alec§taar

Someone who's going to find NewTekie1 and teach hi
Processor DualCore AMD Athlon 64x2 4800+ (o/c 2801mhz STABLE (Ketxxx, POGE, Tatty One, ME))
Motherboard ASUS A8N-SLI Premium (PCIe x16, x4, x1)
Cooling PhaseChange Coolermaster CM754/939 (fan/heatsink), Thermalright heatspreaders + fan built on (RAM)
Memory 512mb PC-3200 DDR400 (set DDR-33 for o/c) by Corsair (matched pair, 2x256mb) 200.1/200mhz
Video Card(s) BFG GeForce 7900 GTX OC 512mb GDDR3 ram (o/c manually to 686 core/865 memory) - PhaseChange cooled
Storage Dual "Raptor X" 16mb 10krpm/RAID 0 Promise EX8350 x4 PCIe 128mb & Intel IO chip/CENATEK RocketDrive
Display(s) SONY 19" Trinitron MultiScan 400ps 1600x1200 75hz refresh 32-bit color
Case Antec Super-LanBoy (aluminum baby-tower w/ lower front & upper rear cooling exhaust fans)
Audio Device(s) RealTek AC97 onboard mobo stereo sound (Altec Lansing ACS-45 speakers - 10 yrs. still running!)
Power Supply Antec 500w ATX 2.0 "SmartPower" powersupply
Software Windows Server 2003 SP #1 fully patched, & massively tuned/tweaked to-the-max (plus latest drivers)
I've got to admit a "thought" or set of them, about disabling the 1st one you mention, because imo, it may have a "trade-off", just like the 2nd one has (I mention it to Cj_Staal here in this thread -> http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=14326&page=2 ).

4th post down on that url/page in fact... decent read about "how" the first one you mention, in the "AlwaysUnloadDLL" hack being implemented REALLY works & what penalties you pay for using it...

gR3iF said:
jup but the biggest boost you get out of some things like disable last acces timestamp or disable that dlls are saved in the ram and so on^^

ABOUT THE FIRST HACK YOU MENTION:

E.G.-> Using something like the 2nd hack you mention by implementing the "AlwaysUnloadDLL" registry hack (to unload DLL's from memory &/or diskcache) once all reference counters to them are "zeroed-out" by the process scheduler portion of the kernel has a trade off as well, are we "losing" by using it too, to save memory (imo, on this one? Definitely yes, we lose using it, in the "long haul"):

I.E.-> By unloading DLL's from RAM, yes, you save memory... but, you force a reload from disk as well once they are called upon again!

(AND, inevitably, DLL's will be once again by calling programs, this IS certain/inevitable)

Thus, slowing yourself down in the "long run"... a definite trade-off!

ABOUT THE SECOND HACK YOU MENTION:

Yes, I use the 1st one myself too, but wonder about it, & it possibly adversely affecting Windows boottime optimization/prefetch abilities!

(Mainly, you DO gain in the short-term using it, because it is one less thing being "written to disk" when files are accessed! Thus, it definitely speeds you up (albeit, if you think about what I am about to say, it may "hurt" some things)).

Prefetching &/or boottime optimization (placements of files most often accessed to the front/outermost/fastest portions of your diskdrive platters)...

Is it affected by the lack of this "timestamping" occuring?

Something has to be writing the entries for boottime optimization to work on, & imo? This may be it... or, part of it & necessary for it to work/function fully-properly.

I've always wondered about it! Are we making a "trade off" here using this one??

Yes, we do gain (in the short-term) by turning off this set of entries being written to disk for timestamping file accesses, but are we also losing?

(Simply by not keeping this set of accesses up to date, potentially 'adversely affecting' prefetch &/or boottime optimizations)...

* IIRC, it was mentioned here earlier that turning off the "Task Scheduler" service can affect boottime optimization &/or prefetch... could this one be also, because of what it is & what it's nature is for??

APK

P.S.=> Optimization is always "push/pull" (one area gains, but usually, another possibly may suffer, depending on HOW you use your machine)... & these 2 entries in particular, imo, have this as a potential loss in the long-haul, but short-term gain... apk

Last edited:

Jimmy 2004

System Name Jimmy 2004's PC
Processor S754 AMD Athlon64 3200+ @ 2640MHz
Motherboard ASUS K8N
Cooling AC Freezer 64 Pro + Zalman VF1000 + 5x120mm Antec TriCool Case Fans
Memory 1GB Kingston PC3200 (2x512MB)
Video Card(s) Saphire 256MB X800 GTO @ 450MHz/560MHz (Core/Memory)
Storage 500GB Western Digital SATA II + 80GB Maxtor DiamondMax SATA
Display(s) Digimate 17" TFT (1280x1024)
Case Antec P182
Audio Device(s) Audigy 4 + Creative Inspire T7900 7.1 Speakers
Power Supply Corsair HX520W
Software Windows XP Home
NamesDontMatter said:
I suppose I can give you guys one of mine :)

-*Speed Boot - Shave 2 Seconds*-
Create a batch file by doing the following:

1. Open notepad and enter the following lines:
-. RD /S /q "C:\Documents and Settings\"UserName without quotes"\Local Settings\History"
-. RD /S /q "C:\Documents and Settings\Default User\Local Settings\History"
-. RD /S /q "D:\Temp\" <--"Deletes temp folder, type in the location of your temp folder"
2. Save the fily and then rename is something like deltemp.bat
3. Now click Start, Run and type in gpedit.msc ->Computer Configuration ->Windows Settings ->Scripts and double click on Shutdown
-. ->Click Add and find the batch file you created and press ok to set the script

This will only work with XP Pro, XP Home cannot use GPEDIT.

System Name Current
Processor Core i5 2500k
Motherboard Z77MA-G45
Cooling Cooler Master Tx3
Memory 8gb DDR3 1600Mhz
Video Card(s) Evga GTX 960 4GB GDDR5
Storage (1) SAMSUNG 850 EVO 500GB
Display(s) ASUS PB278Q 27" WQHD 2560x1440 IPS
Case Fractal Core 1000
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply 430 Watt Corsair
Mouse Logitech g602
Keyboard K70 LUX Mech LB, Red LED, Cherry MX Brown
Software Windows 10 + Hackintosh
oh. . . oops, well pro is better for reasons like this :) lol

stealthfighter

Processor P4 2.8
Motherboard Intel D865PERL
Memory 2x512 Ballistix DDR400
Video Card(s) GeForce 5200
Storage Maxtor 120GB
Power Supply Allied 300w 10A
Wow, cool
you dont know how long I've been hacking at that services tab in msconfig, weeding crap out. You've helped me alot. As for registry entries last time I messed with registry (I let an auyomated program do it) my computer wouldant boot up so yeah... I'm afaraid to do that. Other than RegCleaner, it lets me choose registry entries from install'd progtams that may/may not be there anymore. It also lets me remove stuff from add/remove programs, in case I accidently deleted an uninstall file :eek:
You also offered good explanation for newbies as to weather it's safe or not.
edit: is rundll32 safe to disable from startup list?
is nvcpl safe to remove from startup list?

randomperson21

Processor AMD Athlon64 X2 3800+ @ 2.4Ghz
Motherboard ECS NForce4 A-939
Cooling CPU: Zalman CNPS7000B-AlCu GFX: Zalman VF-700AlCu, 2x120mm+5x80mm w/ Ultra 7ch Fan Controller
Memory Kingston 2x512MB DDR PC3200 Dual Channel 3-3-3-8
Video Card(s) EVGA Nvidia 7900GT KO Superclocked
Storage 2xSeagate Barracuda 7200.8/9 160GB SATAII NCQ in RAID0: 300GB total capacity
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster 941BW (19" widescreen, 1440x900)
Case Antec P180B
Audio Device(s) Built in. 5.1Ch Logitech Z-5500 500w soundsystem, digital Coax connection
Power Supply Spire 500W
Software Windows Vista Ultimate
Jimmy 2004 said:
If anyone wants faster boot times Google an M$ program called Bootvis and give it a go. Here's the best way to use it:

1. Install it (obvious!)
2. Go to "C:\Windows\Prefetch" and delete everything in there
3. Load Bootvis and click on "Trace >Next Boot + Driver Delays" (this is required so Bootvis can work out how to best optimize your system) and click "Ok" or whatever comes up
4. When it restarts bootvis should reload go "Trace >Optimize System"
5. After it reboots, leave it for 5 minutes to do it's job (or until the window disappears)
6. Enjoy 30 second or better boot times (not guarenteed!!!)

holy crap that program is amazing. just installed it and rebooted a couple of times.

now, instead of saying "windows is starting up" and all that crap, right as i go into gui after the splashscreen, BAM! theres my login.

hdd isn't thrashing, no cpu load. it just sits there waiting for login.

wow. now my bootup sequence is about 45 seconds now.

Tatty_Two

Gone Fishing
Processor Intel Core i9 11900KF @ -075mV PL max @225w
Motherboard MSI MAG Z490 TOMAHAWK
Cooling DeepCool LS520SE Liquid + 3 Phanteks 140mm case fans
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB SR) Patriot Viper DDR4 @ 3600Mhz CL14 1.45v Gear 1
Video Card(s) Asus Dual RTX 4070 OC
Storage WD Blue SN550 1TB M.2 NVME//Crucial MX500 500GB SSD (OS)
Display(s) AOC Q2781PQ 27 inch Ultra Slim 2560 x 1440 IPS
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Windowed - Gunmetal
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek ALC1200/SPDIF to Sony AVR @ 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic CORE GM650w Gold Semi modular
Mouse Coolermaster Storm Octane wired
Keyboard Element Gaming Carbon Mk2 Tournament Mech
Software Win 10 Home x64
Very useful thanks, have done some"tweaks" myself but this gives me a few more pointers.

cdawall

where the hell are my stars
System Name All the cores
Processor 2990WX
Motherboard Asrock X399M
Cooling CPU-XSPC RayStorm Neo, 2x240mm+360mm, D5PWM+140mL, GPU-2x360mm, 2xbyski, D4+D5+100mL
Memory 4x16GB G.Skill 3600
Video Card(s) (2) EVGA SC BLACK 1080Ti's
Storage 2x Samsung SM951 512GB, Samsung PM961 512GB
Display(s) Dell UP2414Q 3840X2160@60hz
Case Caselabs Mercury S5+pedestal
Audio Device(s) Fischer HA-02->Fischer FA-002W High edition/FA-003/Jubilate/FA-011 depending on my mood
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 1200w
Mouse Thermaltake Theron, Steam controller
Keyboard Keychron K8
Software W10P
this was great except it my comp forever to do the indexing crap

Alec§taar

Processor DualCore AMD Athlon 64x2 4800+ (o/c 2801mhz STABLE (Ketxxx, POGE, Tatty One, ME))
Cooling PhaseChange Coolermaster CM754/939 (fan/heatsink), Thermalright heatspreaders + fan built on (RAM)
Memory 512mb PC-3200 DDR400 (set DDR-33 for o/c) by Corsair (matched pair, 2x256mb) 200.1/200mhz
Video Card(s) BFG GeForce 7900 GTX OC 512mb GDDR3 ram (o/c manually to 686 core/865 memory) - PhaseChange cooled
Storage Dual "Raptor X" 16mb 10krpm/RAID 0 Promise EX8350 x4 PCIe 128mb & Intel IO chip/CENATEK RocketDrive
Display(s) SONY 19" Trinitron MultiScan 400ps 1600x1200 75hz refresh 32-bit color
Case Antec Super-LanBoy (aluminum baby-tower w/ lower front & upper rear cooling exhaust fans)
Audio Device(s) RealTek AC97 onboard mobo stereo sound (Altec Lansing ACS-45 speakers - 10 yrs. still running!)
Software Windows Server 2003 SP #1 fully patched, & massively tuned/tweaked to-the-max (plus latest drivers)
WANT MORE, GUANANTEED (with proofs below)? Read on:

Here are two more sites you can try/use which I authored from 1997 onwards for public use/consumption!

(Yes, Mine IS the oldest & ORIGINAL + MOST COMPREHENSIVE article for this type of performance boosting no less - all others just "bit off my style" including THIS guide, & even sites based on this type of work, to be blunt about it):

APK Internet Security & Speed tuneups:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Goto:

http://www.avatar.demon.nl

and you see on top of the menu a
Windows® flag? CLICK ON IT!

OR here (direct link):

http://www.avatar.demon.nl/page/index.html

Another link to it.

:)

Both site pages are based off the original article #1 for this from NTCompatible.com which I authored years ago:

http://www.blacksheepnetworks.com/security/resources/article1-2.shtml

That's a cached copy someone else kept as to the orig. article that was @ NTCompatible.com from late 1997 iirc, & up to 2002 or so...

Originally, circa 1997-1998 when I had this first there & afaik, it really is the oldest & original site with a page like those about Internet speed & security, as well as local system performance related tunings also!

It is, afaik & have seen 12++ years online? The OLDEST one out there, there is & "the original article" for security & speed of a Windows NT-based OS.

(These 2 sites expand HUGELY on the original & may contain things others do not, especially in the arena of security - things like, for example, port filtration & how simple + easy it is to implement for security).

APK

P.S.=> Nice as DeathStar's guide is (I am going to sound cocky, but any website doing it or others posting guides like these - just biting off my style, as I wrote the original article for this type of stuff)

?

You'll find those FAR more comprehensive, for BOTH speed & security...

The proof of my rather admittedly BOLD statement?

OUR OWN TESTS HERE ON THE FORUMS IN SCIENCEMARK in Casheti & Canuto's results scores increasing here:

http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=14736&page=63

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alec i have to give you credit for your advice once again you gave me 12 extra points ;)

&

alec,ive got another 7 points on ya.same speed 4416mhz with explorer and some things stopped.

&

You're welcome...

WELL, as the "King of Ithaca", Odysseus, said to Achilles in the film, TROY:

"You have your sword, I have my tricks... we both play with the toys the Gods give us!"

* Try everything I wrote in that last post of mine up there... you'll go higher!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To name JUST a few, only... from that thread, where performance? Is critical.

Not just for benchmarks either, but for DAILY USE & BETTER PERFORMANCE...

Fact is, I have had people from "the great arstechnica" & "XP Myths" websites (& yes, others) say what I put in my tuning guides is b.s.?

Well, proof's in the pudding above as to who is spouting fables... lol! apk

Last edited:

Alec§taar

HOW TO SECURE WINDOWS SERVICES (good against current threats such as MS06-040)

See my subject-line/title for this post above, & refer to this URL for the method:

http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=16097

This is a guide to securing your services against modern threats, & covers the default services, & quite a few 3rd party ones (saving you time & testing).

Should you have other services that I do NOT list there, that test OK under this technique?

Please - respond in that thread & I will add them to my lists.

Thanks.

Anyhow/anyways:

The technique "stalls out" or completely possibly counteracts threats (current ones & their mechanisms) such as the ones noted as is regards the Microsoft Security Bulletin MS06-040 (current) patch which had holes & is being exploited & referred to, here:

http://weblog.infoworld.com/enterprisemac/archives/2006/08/is_windows_inhe.html

(The reasoning behind it is simple & counteracts this security assessment of "Why MacOS X is more secure than Windows is" etc. (& it is, by default, but CAN be corrected, relatively EASILY on your parts until MS alters their logon entity from the default SYSTEM user)).

* Enjoy!

APK

P.S.=> There is another area, default ACL's which MS has done SOME work too in security updates, but @ the filesystem & registry hives level, you CAN do far more... I will post one of those as well, with what tools to use & how to go about it in the future here on these forums... apk

Last edited:

SeeK

Processor AMD Phenom II X4 955
Motherboard ASUS Sabertooth 990FX
Cooling Corsair H60
Memory Corsair XMS3 PC3-12800C9
Video Card(s) CF 2x Sapphire HD5850 Extreme
Storage Samsung SP2504C
Display(s) BenQ G2222HDL
Case CoolerMaster Centurion 5
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium
Power Supply Corsair AX750
Software Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Great guide... my compie's booting much faster now... the registry tweaks were very helpful, and I never thought of disabling services, only autostart...

stealthfighter

Processor P4 2.8
Motherboard Intel D865PERL
Memory 2x512 Ballistix DDR400
Video Card(s) GeForce 5200
Storage Maxtor 120GB
Power Supply Allied 300w 10A
Disabiling services you don't use helps... ALOT. I use 85mb memory after boot in windows XP, used to be like 150... owned? yes.

powerup

teh enable L2, that works with older cpu but I know lots of people that try it and there computer went alittle faster

S

Slater

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Executive]
"AdditionalCriticalWorkerThreads"=dword:00000002
"AdditionalDelayedWorkerThreads"=dword:00000002

(Watch the spaces before the last "02" here, if you copy this one! For SOME reason, the forums board here inserts a space prior to it... manually edit it is my recommendation!)

That is another "interesting" one for those of you that have DualCore/H-T Intel Chips/or TRUE SMP setups, & it extends upon what is in here:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Goto:

http://www.avatar.demon.nl

and you see on top of the menu a
Windows® flag

* They work well...

(Those pages extend upon the guide by DeathStar here & I am NOT SURE if I have this one listed above (adding worker threads hack) in the 2 guides above (they have more than DeathStar's guide does for more areas of potential performance gain & security as well)).

APK

P.S.=> I add 2 extra threads, this supposedly helps in multitasking... apk

Why desnt ur site work no more?

Alec§taar

Why desnt ur site work no more?

It may be down now... The guy who's server it is changes the site's scopes & pages every once in a while, I have NO idea why either (he has other things on it, UNIX oriented largely)... so I may have to check the correct URL to post here again is all!

APK

P.S.=> I just got into it... try it again... apk

System Name Sony Vaio - VGNFW390-CTO
Processor Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T9550 (2.66GHz)
Cooling Stock
Memory 4GB DDR2-SDRAM (DDR2-800, 2GBx2)
Video Card(s) ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 3650 with 512MB vRAM (pitiful card)
Storage 320GB SATA Hard Disk Drive [7200 rpm]
Display(s) LCD 16.4" (XBRITE-FullHD™)
Audio Device(s) SupremeFX
Software Windows 7
Originally Posted by Alec§taar View Post
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Session Manager\Executive]
"AdditionalCriticalWorkerThreads"=dword:000000 02
"AdditionalDelayedWorkerThreads"=dword:0000000 2

(Watch the spaces before the last "02" here, if you copy this one! For SOME reason, the forums board here inserts a space prior to it... manually edit it is my recommendation!)

That is another "interesting" one for those of you that have DualCore/H-T Intel Chips/or TRUE SMP setups, & it extends upon what is in here:

What does this do exactly?

Alec§taar

This can help your networking performance:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/interopmigration/unix/sfu/perfnfs.mspx

AdditionalDelayedWorkerThreads

HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\SessionManager\Executive\ (REG_DWORD)

"Increases the number of threads in the Delayed Work Queue. Threads in this queue have a lower priority and therefore a higher latency because they must compete with other processing for CPU time. Increasing this value may give better performance in some situations."

&

Performance Registry Secrets (This one explains both in detail)

http://www.windowsitlibrary.com/Content/69/06/1.html

"Managing the number of threads can help you optimize performance. When NT boots, it creates a pool of worker threads that NT’s kernel, Executive Subsystems, and device drivers use. When one of these components places a work item, such as the Cache Manager’s lazy cache flusher or the Memory Manager’s idle memory zero-filler, in a queue, a thread is assigned to process it. If too many threads are in the pool, they needlessly consume system resources. However, if not enough threads are in the pool, work items are not serviced in a timely manner. Adjust the following two registry keys to change the number of threads.

Hive: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
Key: System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Executive
Value Name: AdditionalCriticalWorkerThreads
Data Type: REG_DWORD
Value: <any number>

VI-2 Hive: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
Key: System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Executive
Value Name: AdditionalDelayedWorkerThreads
Data Type: REG_DWORD
Value: <any number>

The number you specify in the value increases the number of threads created for the specified work queue. NT has two thread queues. Threads in the Critical Work Queue execute in the low real-time priority range, so they have precedence over most system activity. Threads in the Delayed Work Queue have a slightly lower priority that results in higher latency — the threads that service it compete with other processing for CPU time. The number of threads created for each queue is based on two criteria: whether the system is a server or workstation and how much physical memory the system has. You can’t tell directly whether more threads in a particular situation give you better performance, but you can experiment with benchmark workloads to see if they provide a benefit."

* Use them if you think they will help you out...

APK

P.S.=> As reliable a set of sources as I could come up w/ offhand - on short notice... from the horses' mouth in the first case, there IS no better authority imo, but I did find the 2nd URL a bit MORE detailed on how these 2 settings actually work, & with what circumstances etc. & WHY, most importantly... apk

Last edited:
System Name Sony Vaio - VGNFW390-CTO
Processor Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T9550 (2.66GHz)
Cooling Stock
Memory 4GB DDR2-SDRAM (DDR2-800, 2GBx2)
Video Card(s) ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 3650 with 512MB vRAM (pitiful card)
Storage 320GB SATA Hard Disk Drive [7200 rpm]
Display(s) LCD 16.4" (XBRITE-FullHD™)
Audio Device(s) SupremeFX
Software Windows 7
oh, alright thanks.

Alec§taar

oh, alright thanks.

No problem...

* There is a ZILLION cool things to "tune/tweak" on Windows NT-based OS', moreso imo than there was in DOS/Win3.x or Win9x even!

APK

P.S.=> Afaik? Those 2 numbers up there DO have limits... 16 on both, but this may have changed... still, I wouldn't PUSH it too far on them! I found that adding 2 on each does the job (for a total of 2 extra on each)... See my system specs, because systems w/ more RAM may be able to do more! apk

Tatty_Two

Gone Fishing
Processor Intel Core i9 11900KF @ -075mV PL max @225w
Motherboard MSI MAG Z490 TOMAHAWK
Cooling DeepCool LS520SE Liquid + 3 Phanteks 140mm case fans
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB SR) Patriot Viper DDR4 @ 3600Mhz CL14 1.45v Gear 1
Video Card(s) Asus Dual RTX 4070 OC
Storage WD Blue SN550 1TB M.2 NVME//Crucial MX500 500GB SSD (OS)
Display(s) AOC Q2781PQ 27 inch Ultra Slim 2560 x 1440 IPS
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Windowed - Gunmetal
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek ALC1200/SPDIF to Sony AVR @ 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic CORE GM650w Gold Semi modular
Mouse Coolermaster Storm Octane wired
Keyboard Element Gaming Carbon Mk2 Tournament Mech
Software Win 10 Home x64
I am going to have to have a play, some nice tips there Alec.

Alec§taar

I am going to have to have a play, some nice tips there Alec.

If you can't reach the website I put up in here earlier in this thread?

Then, the single webpage archive editions of my "tweak/tune & security guides" are in this thread here (I put them up for SLATER to use, since he was unable to reach the website for them, they are readable in IE):

http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=19028

* If you think this "puny set of 'standalone' tips" was GOOD? Read those 2 .mht docs in IE...

(Get ready for TONS more (far more than the default guide here))...

APK

Jimmy 2004

Motherboard ASUS K8N
Case Antec P182
Software Windows XP Home
I've started to avoid registry tweaks in this install of XP... from past experience the tweaks that do work have little impact in most cases and a lot of them are debated to have negative effects for high RAM applications like games.

Alec§taar

I've started to avoid registry tweaks in this install of XP... from past experience the tweaks that do work have little impact in most cases and a lot of them are debated to have negative effects for high RAM applications like games.

On the SPEEDUP page?

To each his own... I just know I've been @ this stuff for more than a decade now (quite a bit more, on the NT-based OS family), & have a pretty SURE set of what works, & what doesn't, & where/why/how it might or might NOT be something to do.

Great guide... my compie's booting much faster now... the registry tweaks were very helpful, and I never thought of disabling services, only autostart...

Results like that one? Speak for themselves...

(& as far as debating them? There is usually exceptions to any rule! Mainly based on hardware types present (like amt. of RAM, etc.) on some tweaks - iirc, this SHOULD be noted in the page & the sites @ Microsoft to use to refer to what they do & how they do it... Still, it does take some understanding & KNOWLEDGE of how the system works to do them right, especially memory dependent settings!)

Heck? Here @ Home??

I did a PREBUILT SET of .reg files I use to implement ALL of the performance tweaks I use... & I actually did that in .reg files for the tweaks, using ";" .reg file comments with descriptions of each tweak line & corresponding Microsoft page describing each tweak for performance used!

Very fast implement this way, AND a "perfect reference" system as well, simply by opening the .reg files in notepad.exe to look @ them for 'exceptions'.

* I just know the ones I have work, & I avoided (for instance/example) putting in RAM dependent settings in the .reg files, & have for years now (almost 14) on ALL NT-based Os', but like anything, testing should be done by the implementor of the tweaks/tunes...

I wonder how many years "naysayers" of the settings in my .mht docs have been at this studying & testing the settings (XP Myths is one, & they are SO far out of it on some of the settings, it makes me laugh... some they are right about, some ARE for older NT-based OS' but others? LOL!)?

The SECURITY page though?

That's one I'd go @ w/ anyone, as "absolutes"... and, to ANY of its settings recommended/noted (w/ the exception of the removal of the IP stack procedure, this HAS changed & I need to update it).

APK

P.S.=> The MAIN proof of the performance oriented tunings working (w/ folks here, no less)?

Well, in the ScienceMark 2.0 test we did here??

When I told folks HOW to get more on their score (via 'tuning' @ this level, software/OS), implementing only SOME of what I know can be done???

Folks who thought they couldn't get ANY MORE, suddenly went up another 10-15 points... proof enough imo & doubtless theirs also!

Still - I welcome 'scrutiny' of any of the settings & discussion on them... nothing & nobody is PERFECT, but these guides I'd wager? Are DAMN close... apk

Last edited:

Jimmy 2004

Motherboard ASUS K8N
Case Antec P182
Software Windows XP Home
[QUOTE="Alec§taar]I did a PREBUILT SET of .reg files I use to implement ALL of the performance tweaks I use... & I actually did that in .reg files for the tweaks, using ";" .reg file comments with descriptions of each tweak line & corresponding Microsoft page describing each tweak for performance used![/QUOTE]

I'm not saying all of them don't work, just personally I don't know which ones I can trust so often avoid them. If you have prebuilt reg files with setting that you know work I (and I expect many others too) would actually be quite interested in getting hold if those if you could upload them (unless they're already on your site of course).

Alec§taar

I'm not saying all of them don't work, just personally I don't know which ones I can trust so often avoid them.

Fair enough, & if you are in those shoes? Don't use them, OR read the URL's noted for them @ places like Microsoft (nobody knows it better than they - the WROTE the OS!)

The 'problem' w/ registry tweaking is what you state: UNDERSTANDING what it is you are messing with, & this is where ref's to pages from MS (or other noteworthy sites) help hugely, should you decide to try them (performance tuning oriented ones - again: The security oriented settings? Those I am VERY confident & sure of!).

I put in references to MS webpages in my guides, but the .reg files & HOW I did them?

SO much better!

Especially the latest ones I have here @ least (specific definitions are in each one, w/ a backing Microsoft webpage to observe as to their veracity & for each line in all of my prebuilt .reg files (21 total files I did here 3 years ago, & tested (get this) across dialup, cablemodem, and DSL (latest connection method I use)) - this took me WEEKS to do right in fact.

Honestly? I couldn't DO it any better than that!

If you have prebuilt reg files with setting that you know work I (and I expect many others too) would actually be quite interested in getting hold if those if you could upload them (unless they're already on your site of course).

Sure!

Would you like them as a single zipfile attachment here to extract each of them, & then for you to look @ their interiors & understand them?

APK

P.S.=> Just say the word, I'll "zip 'em up" & attach them here... once you see HOW I did them INTERNALLY (w/ links to MS & other reputable sites that describe them, along w/ descriptions RIGHT in the file, per line 'tweaked', from MS descriptions & others)?

You'll probably wonder WHY I did the web-based HTML & .MHT single archive versions noted above... period!

BUT, the .mht style ones I did for SLATER?? Pretty much have all that is in them anyhow... but, doing .reg files made it FAST to implement here is all... apk

Last edited: