• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Xbox Series S 1 TB Carbon Black Model Out Now

Processor Ryzen 9 7950x
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB 6400 CL 32 @ 6000 CL32 (2x48GB)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 4070ti OC
Storage 2x 1tb Sabrent Rocket 4 Plus, 1x SN850x 4tb, 1x 980 Pro 2tb
Display(s) 2x 34" 1440p Ultrawide
Well you have gone off track now, you looking at it perhaps from your own personal situation, but try to put yourself into the minds of people who dont care about the higher resolution or the higher framerate but dont have as much money as you (as you have just confirmed £140 isnt much to you), then you might understand why the S exists.

If there was no S, I wouldnt have brought an Xbox series console, as I only purchased it to play old BC games, and the £250 I just about justified the expense, it was borderline. I feel happy with the purchase now, but at the time I was unsure about it.

I am not happy about my PS5 purchase as so far I have only played one game on it, and only have about 3 queued up ready to go (one's that cant play on ps4 pro), doesnt feel good value for me at the moment.

However despite this I dont go round telling people they shouldnt be buying PS5's or Series X consoles, choice is a good thing and I have never understood why elitists moan about the S existing, it doesnt affect them.
I think the number of people who just don't care or would never notice higher performance hardware would shock many people in the enthusiast community. For the the entire last generation, 30fps games were totally acceptable to most console gamers. Those games were also running at below 1080p for the base models. If you can't tell or care about the difference between running at 1080p or 4k natively, then is paying an extra $100 really a good decision? It isn't a knock on those people as well. I'm sure there are plenty of things in life that I buy that I buy that aren't considered "great" in categories that I'm not educated on, but if I never notice or care about the extra performance of say a fancy golf club, would I truly benefit from spending double what I paid for my cheap ones if I can't tell the difference?

As for buying consoles in general, they really aren't directly comparable with PCs. The ease of use is really just a huge selling point. Plug it in and click play on games. No need to launch into the OS, make sure your drivers are up to date, find the games on whatever game launcher has what you want, settle on using discord/game chat/etc., tweak settings, then launch. The interface is just brain dead simple for both xbox and playstation and honestly that's a good thing for people who just want to sit down and start playing a game immediately. You may see the simplicity as limiting or the difficulty of using a PC as trivial, but for others this may not be the case. Just look at console sales and try to understand why people buy them (it's not just being misinformed).

For recommendations, you should always try to put yourself in the shoes of the person and not just recommend what would make you happy. Ask the person what they actually want out of the device. They may have been playing on console for years and just want something that lets them play new games, not looking for a totally new experience and just want to know if it's worth it to upgrade to the next generation. Show them the experience of playing on PC, if they don't care or don't notice the differences that you feel strongly about, then you shouldn't be trying to force them to buy something that isn't going to bring them any additional value.

Last edited: