• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Xeon Owners Club

System Name The Blind Grim Reaper
Processor Xeon X5675 Westmere-EP B1 SLBYL 4.20ghz @ 1.256v
Motherboard Asus P6X58D-E
Cooling Noctua CP12 SE14, Redux Noctua 1500rpm fan Arctic F14 x3 for intake and exhaust
Memory Corsair XMS3 CMX4GX3M2A1600C9 x6
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SC Single Fan Model
Storage Crucial mx300 750gb main system + 1TB mx500 for games and music
Display(s) 22 inch samsung curved
Case NZXT Phantom 530 black
Audio Device(s) Nvidia HDMI through HDMI adaptor for output sound for turtlebeach x12 headset
Power Supply Antec HCG 850 watt
Mouse no brand
Keyboard normal usb keyboard
Software Windows 10 22H2 v1 (main is) and Windows 11 22H2 v2 on WD 250gb 7200rpm (testing purposes os)
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R20 = 2046cb
Processor 5800X3D 2208PGS -30 CO all cores 120WPPT
Motherboard X470 Aorus Gaming 7 Wifi
Cooling Optimus Foundation, EK FLT80 D5, Bykski Gpu block, Corsair/HWlabs 240mm, 280mm radiators
Memory 4x8 Gskill 3600c15 & Patriot 4400c19 @3800c15-10-16-13-27-40-288 1.51v
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 3080ti @1875 .850mv ~ 300w
Storage 970 evo plus 2tb, Teamgroup 1tb, 860 evo 500gb, 870 evo 2tb, Exos 4tb, Exos 6tb
Display(s) Acer EI342CKR 34" 3440x1440 @150hz, 27" Acer KA272U 2560x1440 @75hz
Case Corsair C70 OD green
Audio Device(s) Phillips SHP9500
Power Supply ROG THOR 1000w
Mouse Corsair Harpoon RGB wireless
Keyboard Corsair K95 MX Brown
Software Multiboot
Benchmark Scores are good
I'm having a hard time exerting enough self control to avoid buying an x58 mobo and x56XX chip to play with for a bit.
I found a decent deal on a rampage II extreme, but I have no use for it other than just tinkering. But it really sounds like fun to oc on this platform, and the good parts are only gonna get harder to find and more expensive..

I guess I'm just asking for someone to talk me into it, so I don't feel so bad for buying something I don't need at all.

Also, what do you think of the rampage II extreme? looks like a good vrm from what I can find.
And whats the best 6 core chip for overclocking on 1366? I can get an X or w-690 chip for ~70 but is it actually worth it over a lower bin? I'll end up lapping it and cooling it with my lapped dark rock pro most likely, would I run into thermal limits with that using these chips?

System Name Office
Processor Ryzen 5600G
Motherboard ASUS B450M-A II
Cooling be quiet! Shadow Rock LP
Memory 16GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4-3200
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RX 5600 XT
Storage PNY CS1030 250GB, Crucial MX500 2TB
Display(s) Dell S2719DGF
Case Fractal Define 7 Compact
Power Supply EVGA 550 G3
Mouse Logitech M705 Marthon
Keyboard Logitech G410
Software Windows 10 Pro 22H2
I'm having a hard time exerting enough self control to avoid buying an x58 mobo and x56XX chip to play with for a bit.
I found a decent deal on a rampage II extreme, but I have no use for it other than just tinkering. But it really sounds like fun to oc on this platform, and the good parts are only gonna get harder to find and more expensive..

I guess I'm just asking for someone to talk me into it, so I don't feel so bad for buying something I don't need at all.

Also, what do you think of the rampage II extreme? looks like a good vrm from what I can find.
And whats the best 6 core chip for overclocking on 1366? I can get an X or w-690 chip for ~70 but is it actually worth it over a lower bin? I'll end up lapping it and cooling it with my lapped dark rock pro most likely, would I run into thermal limits with that using these chips?

The nice thing about Nehalem/Westmere is that the 6-core parts are still very usable, even as a daily driver. You can pass it on or set it up for crunching when you're done with it. I landed on X5670, because the MHz/$ ratio skews unfavorably after that (more space between lines = better deal). It kind of comes down to whether you want to chase the highest clock possible, or to see how far past stock you can take a given chip. If the former, then your odds are better on *690, but for the latter, the cheapest chip you can find is the way to go. In either case, it's not called the silicon lottery for nothing. Incidentally, one of my 5670s hits 4.3 without much effort.

TL;DR: Do it. But if you're looking to keep cost down, you'll have just as good a time (IMO) on a chip 1/4 the cost.

Cooling Noctua CP12 SE14, Redux Noctua 1500rpm fan Arctic F14 x3 for intake and exhaust
Audio Device(s) Nvidia HDMI through HDMI adaptor for output sound for turtlebeach x12 headset
Mouse no brand
Software Windows 10 22H2 v1 (main is) and Windows 11 22H2 v2 on WD 250gb 7200rpm (testing purposes os)

I don't think you would hit the thermal limit that quick on the chip as long it cooled by the heatsink you got you should have no problem overclocking the chip :)

Is it the x5690 you mentioned

without increasing the voltage I managed to get 3351.53MHz with one CPU installed.
to go higher a bsel mod is required. I hope that works. Should scale very well with voltage, similar to Wolfdale. But at some point Ram will drop out :<
That's impressive! What do you do with that setup?

I'd say go for it if the budget allows. Most of us have the existing platform already and have spent minimal $ over the years milking every ounce of life out of it. To dive in brand new, you'd be doing it solely as a hobby. For similar $ you can build more energy efficient builds.

I do love X58 and wouldn't hesitate to buy another build if the deal presented itself. Although I'd personally fish for either of these 3 boards if I were currently in your shoes for solid overclocking. The rampage II isn't bad, but if you're buying classic parts you might as well splurge for the best :)
-ASUS P6X58D-E
-
ASUS Rampage III gene / formula / extreme / black (good luck)
-EVGA x58 FTW3 / Classified

Processor 5800X3D 2208PGS -30 CO all cores 120WPPT
Motherboard X470 Aorus Gaming 7 Wifi
Cooling Optimus Foundation, EK FLT80 D5, Bykski Gpu block, Corsair/HWlabs 240mm, 280mm radiators
Memory 4x8 Gskill 3600c15 & Patriot 4400c19 @3800c15-10-16-13-27-40-288 1.51v
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 3080ti @1875 .850mv ~ 300w
Storage 970 evo plus 2tb, Teamgroup 1tb, 860 evo 500gb, 870 evo 2tb, Exos 4tb, Exos 6tb
Display(s) Acer EI342CKR 34" 3440x1440 @150hz, 27" Acer KA272U 2560x1440 @75hz
Case Corsair C70 OD green
Audio Device(s) Phillips SHP9500
Power Supply ROG THOR 1000w
Mouse Corsair Harpoon RGB wireless
Keyboard Corsair K95 MX Brown
Software Multiboot
Benchmark Scores are good
Thanks for the input, I still haven't made up my mind .. It's either this or a new 3d printer and I still don't know what I'll enjoy more
I ran a phenom ii b97 and a couple FX chips hard for years before my ryzen upgrades. Was a total joy to tinker with, and I really pushed everything as hard as it could go.
But I've always wanted a 1366 setup, They were just so damned expensive. Now I have some fun money to burn, and I keep thinking of my old dream intel builds.
Other side of the fence always seemed so much better around then.
Most of us have the existing platform already and have spent minimal $ over the years milking every ounce of life out of it. To dive in brand new, you'd be doing it solely as a hobby. For similar $ you can build more energy efficient builds.

I wish I had the money to buy into it years ago, It would've been still solid today, and maybe have saved me some money long term.
It would 100% be just for hobby, I have no practical use for it, aside from maybe adopting it as my daily and mining xmr with my 3700x
But I would lose a lot of current gen goodies for that

It kind of comes down to whether you want to chase the highest clock possible, or to see how far past stock you can take a given chip. If the former, then your odds are better on *690, but for the latter, the cheapest chip you can find is the way to go.
That's kind of what I figured. I'm looking for the highest I can get, The most performance possible I can squeeze out of this platform. however..
I have read some conflicting information, with some claiming that the 80 and 90 chips aren't really binned any different, and the increase in frequency is met by an increase in voltage and tdp
Likely will snag a 90 just to have the best odds, but still wonder how much more frequency I would be getting compared to a cheaper one.
Shit maybe I just get both and find out, they're cheap enough now.

Found a couple p6x58d-e's on ebay for an okay price, close pulling the trigger and bringing my ddr3 out again for some more abuse.
It's still tough to do because I don't need it at all, and I suspect it will ultimately just become another closet decoration.
And I know its just up to me whether I think paying for it is worth the enjoyment I get from fiddling with it.
Maybe I'll get drunk or tired enough tonight to buy it without thinking so hard.

a new delta printer would be fun too though.. :(
Agonizing first world problems

Toothless

Tech, Games, and TPU!
Supporter
System Name Veral
Processor 5950x
Motherboard Asus Crosshair VIII Hero Wi-Fi
Cooling Corsair H150i RGB Elite
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill TridentZ
Video Card(s) Powercolor 7900XTX Red Devil
Storage Crucial P5 Plus 1TB, Samsung 980 1TB, Teamgroup MP34 4TB
Display(s) Acer Nitro XZ342CK Pbmiiphx + 2x AOC 2425W
Case Fractal Design Meshify Lite 2
Audio Device(s) Blue Yeti + SteelSeries Arctis 5 / Samsung HW-T550
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Mouse Corsair Nightsword
Keyboard Corsair K55
VR HMD HP Reverb G2
Software Windows 11 Professional
Benchmark Scores PEBCAK
Thanks for the input, I still haven't made up my mind .. It's either this or a new 3d printer and I still don't know what I'll enjoy more
I ran a phenom ii b97 and a couple FX chips hard for years before my ryzen upgrades. Was a total joy to tinker with, and I really pushed everything as hard as it could go.
But I've always wanted a 1366 setup, They were just so damned expensive. Now I have some fun money to burn, and I keep thinking of my old dream intel builds.
Other side of the fence always seemed so much better around then.

I wish I had the money to buy into it years ago, It would've been still solid today, and maybe have saved me some money long term.
It would 100% be just for hobby, I have no practical use for it, aside from maybe adopting it as my daily and mining xmr with my 3700x
But I would lose a lot of current gen goodies for that

That's kind of what I figured. I'm looking for the highest I can get, The most performance possible I can squeeze out of this platform. however..
I have read some conflicting information, with some claiming that the 80 and 90 chips aren't really binned any different, and the increase in frequency is met by an increase in voltage and tdp
Likely will snag a 90 just to have the best odds, but still wonder how much more frequency I would be getting compared to a cheaper one.
Shit maybe I just get both and find out, they're cheap enough now.

Found a couple p6x58d-e's on ebay for an okay price, close pulling the trigger and bringing my ddr3 out again for some more abuse.
It's still tough to do because I don't need it at all, and I suspect it will ultimately just become another closet decoration.
And I know its just up to me whether I think paying for it is worth the enjoyment I get from fiddling with it.
Maybe I'll get drunk or tired enough tonight to buy it without thinking so hard.

a new delta printer would be fun too though.. :(
Agonizing first world problems
I've got four x58-ish rigs. Every single one has been a love-hate relationship besides the R3F one, which has been a blast to overclock. It's certainly worth getting one and playing with it, seeing how it matches to current standards and hardware. Get yourself a nice x58 overclocking board, a good cooler, and a x5670/x5675.

It’s going down, Xeon’s here! Last min changing of paste’s and pads before slamming that MF in. MX-4 on the mobo, and kryonaut on the Xeon. Saying goodbye to the 920 is like Andy saying bye to his toys when he goes to college, that’ll do, that’ll do...

B8BD4E74-85C5-45B8-B1A3-30AA9FB68819.jpeg

It’s going down, Xeon’s here! Last min changing of paste’s and pads before slamming that MF in. MX-4 on the mobo, and kryonaut on the Xeon. Saying goodbye to the 920 is like Andy saying bye to his toys when he goes to college, that’ll do, that’ll do...

View attachment 200312
Someone is going to have fun!
my plan is to watercool the CPUs on Supermicro X7QC3 and use it as desktop and maybe gaming rig :)
Impressive!

Bleh, not sure what to do here but can't get the PC to post.

Triple checked everything is connected and made sure the CPU is seated correctly, prior to installing the x5675 I can confirm there's no bent socket pins or any visual damage there. I did change the coin battery to a new, is it possible I need to reset the CMOS?

> It shouldn't be an issue with G.Skill RAM I have, I've read reviews of people using it with x56xx setups. Have 12gb of these:
> There is no 'master list' of supported motherboards or officially on ASUS' website, but I have read several threads of successful setups running x56xx on a P6Td V2 using the latest BIOS v. 1202 (I have this).

EDIT:
-I cleared the CMOS using the jumper regularly, nothing
-I removed the coin battery AND cleared the CMOS using the jumper, nothing
-Motherboard and CPU power cables are properly seated and not touching any heatsinks or other components
-prior to x5675 install
-waterblock tightened to 'finger tight', so no excessive pressure
-removed RAM and reseated (all 12 gb), no go
-removed RAM and installed individually with each stick into it's optimal config, no go

Screen Shot 2021-05-16 at 12.34.00 PM.png

Last edited:

dorsetknob

"YOUR RMA REQUEST IS CON-REFUSED"
Dorset where else eh? >>> Thats ENGLAND<<<
I did change the coin battery, is it possible I need to reset the CMOS?
Removing that battery and inserting new one will have reset CMOS to its Default settings so yes
boot to bios and go thru settings.

Going to be editing the post above (#7,190) with what I've done short of reseating the CPU or putting back my 920 to check if it posts.

Removing that battery and inserting new one will have reset CMOS to its Default settings so yes
boot to bios and go thru settings.
So that's the issue, it's not posting. I thought it was the GPU at first and reseated it, nothing.

Mouse no brand
Not posting make sure the heatsink isn't overtighen this would play a factor in the issue

Mouse no brand
tried removing tension, and screwing down to finger tight only. no dice.
Try using 1 ram stick and see if it post as I'm guessing the xmp is making havoc in the asus p6t v2. Put in the 920 then set all the timing to manual based on the ram stick then disable xmp then check if the uncore and qpi link are in auto as if the board is trying to slap the x5675 in the face with a higher uncore/qpi link as this is what I am thinking. Make sure the multi is set to auto and check if the vt-d is disabled

Try using 1 ram stick and see if it post as I'm guessing the xmp is making havoc in the asus p6t v2. Put in the 920 then set all the timing to manual based on the ram stick then disable xmp then check if the uncore and qpi link are in auto as if the board is trying to slap the x5675 in the face with a higher uncore/qpi link as this is what I am thinking. Make sure the multi is set to auto and check if the vt-d is disabled
Edited my post higher up as you replied, tried each stick individually in each optimal config population as the manual suggests, no dice.

I'm hopeful resetting the CMOS put things back to default and it's not booting up XMP. But before installing the x5675 I ran the BIOS one last time with the 920 and changed the DRAM settings to MANUAL instead of XMP as a precaution on all profiles saved.

Looks like I'll be popping the 920 back in unless anyone has any other suggestions.

System Name Minotaur
Processor Intel I9 7940X
Motherboard Asus Strix Rog Gaming E X299
Cooling BeQuiet/ double-Fan
Memory 64Gb DDR4 2800Mhz
Video Card(s) 1)RX 6900XT BIOSTAR 16Gb***2)MATROX M9120LP
Storage 2 x ssd-Kingston 240Gb A400 in RAID 0+ HDD 500Gb +Samsung 128gbSSD +SSD Kinston 480Gb
Display(s) BenQ 28"EL2870U(4K-HDR) / Acer 24"(1080P) / Eizo 2336W(1080p) / 2x Eizo 19"(1280x1024)
Case NZXT H5 Flow
Audio Device(s) Realtek/Creative T20 Speakers
Power Supply F S P Hyper S 700W
Mouse Asus TUF-GAMING M3
Keyboard Func FUNC-KB-460/Mechanical Keyboard
VR HMD Oculus Rift DK2
Software Win 11
Benchmark Scores Fire Strike=23905,Cinebench R15=3167,Cinebench R20=7490.Passmark=30689,Geekbench4=32885
Put back your old CPU and see if that works maybe you get "broken" Xeon....also check your pins on the mobo....

Mouse no brand
Check the Xeon chip if it has missing caps. If no it most likely you got a dud or broken chip.

System Name Master
Processor Pair of Xeon X5675's @ 4.3
Motherboard SR-2 Classified
Memory 12 GB of Corsair Dominator GT's @ 2000 7-7-7-21
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX680
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 750
No official support for Xeon's on that board at all. It's pot luck if you get them to work.
You can however, crossflash the P6T WS Pro bios to that board and have bios support and more control.

Mouse no brand
I think Mr Scott might be onto something there