• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Should I return to nVidia ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the other hand, 7900 XT is a monste
absolutely its in some games on the level of an rtx 4080/super. or just 10% behind,. but thats it. thats whre the good stuff ends. and yes maybe thats already enough for some. or for heavy modding the 20gb can come in handy.

fsr sucks, powerusage is insane no undervotling is working besides of powerlimit -10 but then you sacrifice perfromance. while on ada i can use mys 4070ti with 150-200 watts and loose zero performance. not possible with current amd cards. powerlimted monsters like vega was. or like ampere...

rt is very bad...a 4070 beats it or is on par on the nvidia sposored games its like double the Performance ....

game support is also better on nvidia which is logical with over 80% of marketshare. fg is also better on nvidia by a lot.

also the 7900 cards really blow in 4k not 1440p. in 4k the 7900xtr is up to 35% faster than a 7800xt, while in 1440p this falls often to 20-25%. yes tested it myself.

:love:

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 239770

absolutely its in some games on the level of an rtx 4080/super. or just 10% behind,. but thats it. thats whre the good stuff ends. and yes maybe thats already enough for some. or for hevay modding the 20gb can come in handy.

fsr sucks, powerusage is insane no undervotling is working besides of powerlimit -10 but then you sacrifice perfromance. while on ada i can use mys 4070ti with 150-200 watts and loose zero performance. not possible with current amd cards. powerlimted monsters like vega was. or like ampere...

rt is very bad...a 4070 beats it or is on par on the nvidia sposored games its like double the Performance ....

game support is also better on nvidia which is logical with over 80% of marketshare. fg is also better on nvidia by a lot.

you are smoking some good crack my friend, maybe you dont mind share with me?:love:
As I stated before you resorted to personal attacks due to a liability in prefrontal-cortex performance.
2 games make the biggest outlier differences between RDNA3 and ADA.

Did I put Nvidia down? I stated the facts that there is not much to buy an Nvidia card for especially if you are concerned about the price.

Power limiting removes about 5 FPS on my 7900 XT from 275w to 380w.

There is not much loss and let's be honest, all these cards draw heavy amounts, you can't want the performance crown and sip power, you will still be drawing a lot yourself which in the grand scheme of things, even 100w barely makes a difference, unless you don't have a job.

I thought £750 was as much as I wanted to spend and Nvidia offered nothing back when I was making a choice.

freeagent

Staff member
Processor AMD R9 5900X
Motherboard Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
Cooling Thermalright Aqua Elite 360 V3 1x TL-B12, 2x TL-C12 Pro, 2x TL K12
Memory 2x8 G.Skill Trident Z Royal 3200C14, 2x8GB G.Skill Trident Z Black and White 3200 C14
Video Card(s) Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC
Storage WD SN850 1TB, SN850X 2TB, Asus Hyper M.2, 2x SN770 1TB
Display(s) LG 50UP7100
Case Fractal Torrent Compact RGB
Audio Device(s) JBL 2.1 Deep Bass
Power Supply Seasonic Vertex GX-1000, Monster HDP1800
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Keyboard Logitech G213
VR HMD Oculus 3
Software Yes
Benchmark Scores Yes
RT is awesome lol.. so much hate. And,.. you can turn it off for a mighty increase in frames if you so desire.

Power limiting removes about 5 FPS on my 7900 XT from 275w to 380w.
man i could prove you wrong with all data i have here but fuck it. i will just say it will depend on the game if it needs power you will feel the lost 10% trust me. especially with cards like these which are alway powerlimited even with 500 watts. it behaves exactly like ampere and vega the more power the more core clock. ada is very different here.

especially with the part of 380 watts to 285 you are talking so much shit it hurts

a 7900xt with 360 watts was 8-13% faster in games then with 315 Watt. 285 Watts is with pl at -10 here you are far slower then with stock 315(not in all games but) or even 380 watts like your card. but the again you have no clue.

start a game like metro exodus, or a plague tale, or avatar and tell me it does nothing.

also saying 5 fps means nothing without context

100 to 105 fps is 5%

50 to 55 fps is 10%

D

Deleted member 239770

I own 1 of those games. Metro.

5 FPS means nothing when I am already smashing over 200 FPS in nearly every game to begin with.

I dunno I just don't have many hard RT games?

All this foul language and ego representation is too much for me and I want a clear concise conversation.

The idea is to engage on the perspective of the user, so in this case, I don't have games that require serious RT hardware to begin with.
the ones that I do have, don't require upscaling or an ADA lovelace GPU.

I made a point that 2 games make good use of RT via PT, although it was apparent you did not read it like that, I never stated Nvidia were worse, I said there is a point to a card like the 7900 XT and for the price it outclasses it's close competitors in performance due to pricing.

We all have different markets to across the world.

Things can force perspectives which are out of our control.

This is my last post in this thread.

System Name Ghetto Rigs z490|x99|Acer 17 Nitro 7840hs/ 5600c40-2x16/ 4060/ 1tb acer stock m.2/ 4tb sn850x
Processor 10900k w/Optimus Foundation | 5930k w/Black Noctua D15
Motherboard z490 Maximus XII Apex | x99 Sabertooth
Cooling oCool D5 res-combo/280 GTX/ Optimus Foundation/ gpu water block | Blk D15
Memory Trident-Z Royal 4000c16 2x16gb | Trident-Z 3200c14 4x8gb
Video Card(s) Titan Xp-water | evga 980ti gaming-w/ air
Storage 970evo+500gb & sn850x 4tb | 860 pro 256gb | Acer m.2 1tb/ sn850x 4tb| Many2.5" sata's ssd 3.5hdd's
Display(s) 1-AOC G2460PG 24"G-Sync 144Hz/ 2nd 1-ASUS VG248QE 24"/ 3rd LG 43" series
Case D450 | Cherry Entertainment center on Test bench
Audio Device(s) Built in Realtek x2 with 2-Insignia 2.0 sound bars & 1-LG sound bar
Power Supply EVGA 1000P2 with APC AX1500 | 850P2 with CyberPower-GX1325U
Mouse Redragon 901 Perdition x3
Keyboard G710+x3
Software Win-7 pro x3 and win-10 & 11pro x3
Benchmark Scores Are in the benchmark section
Hi,
This would be a good question for a poll.

RT is awesome lol.. so much hate. And,.. you can turn it off for a mighty increase in frames if you so desire.

Games aren't exactly a movie though hehe
I disable RT.

damn with people like you we would still have no AA, ambient occlusion,af,or even shadows. because these all were features at some point. rt is just the next step. its not a fancy feature. its the fucking future. one day we will not be able to turn it off at all because it will be the only thing that is left.

I have RTX 4090. I have never played an entire game using raytracing nor DLSS. It's always a worse experience. In a few games I have used DLAA, that's actually generally a better experience.
The new software features are very overrated overall. And the most useful feature is hardly playable on the affordable hardware. If you go for Radeon I don't think you're missing much.

And sometimes I wonder how much cheaper these would be if Nvidia hadn't put meme ML acceleration tensor units.

Nvidia is putting ML crap on gaming hardware so they can get You (gamers) to help amortize their R&D for hardware features which increase the total addressable market of their graphics cards. Now they will be used by ML image and text spammers to put artists and copywriters out of work and make the web and - soon reality - a more confusing space. But they need to justify having these features on die so they spend more on R&D to use these meme accelerators for marginally useful purposes.

Last edited:

ir_cow

Staff member
I have RTX 4090. I have never played an entire game using raytracing nor DLSS. It's always a worse experience. In a few games I have used DLAA...
Ever since DLSS 2.0, I use it if the games supports it. Run in Quality mode and you will be hard pressed to find image problems. The lower modes are is what looks bad. FSR is a bit worse overall for side by side comparison.

Image upscaling is the future of PC gaming. Consoles have been doing this since the XboX360 / PS3.

On a different note; The 7900XTX can also draw a lof of power, I got the Red Devil to 400Watts.

Ever since DLSS 2.0, I use it if the games supports it. Run in Quality mode and you will be hard pressed to find image problems. The lower modes are is what looks bad. FSR is a bit worse overall for side by side comparison.

Image upscaling is the future of PC gaming. Consoles have been doing this since the XboX360 / PS3.

On a different note; The 7900XTX can also draw a lof of power, I got the Red Devil to 400Watts.
It looks worse compared to DLAA. Image upscaling starting at below native resolution is worse, so why do it?

And people will always cope it's good enough by saying it's "better than native". Questionable enough claim on its own but it is objectively worse than DLAA and noticeably so unless you're blind.

Last edited:
System Name Holiday Season Budget Computer (HSBC)
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7700X
Motherboard MSi PRO B650M-A WiFi
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory 2x 16 GB Corsair Vengeance EXPO DDR5-6000
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 6500 XT 4 GB
Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 4 + 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Display(s) Dell S3422DWG, 7" Waveshare touchscreen
Case Kolink Citadel Mesh black
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z333 2.1 speakers, AKG Y50 headphones
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-750
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech G413 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro
yea exactly its the successor to the 6800.
No, it's the successor to the 6700 XT with a badly chosen name. The only good thing about its pricing is that it's cheaper than the 12 GB 4070.

ir_cow

Staff member
It looks worse compared to DLAA. Image upscaling starting at below native resolution is worse, so why do it?
On paper it is, in practice it is not. Unless your pixel peeping FSR / DLSS Quality mode is hard to spot from Native Resolution unless your looking for it in fences or really distant shadows. Games that have rain can looks worse with DLSS. Other games ones like COD, it is just free FPS. so why not do it?

I'm following this rule for new GPU like last 15 years.

"If I don't buy new generation card within a year of it's release then I will wait for the next gen and buy it early"

ir_cow

Staff member
@ador250 The trick is to buy it on day one. Keep it until 2-3 months before the next series and sell it for 75% value. You basically rented the top end video card for $10-20 a month. Pretty much what I've been doing for 10 years.

On paper it is, in practice it is not. Unless your pixel peeping FSR / DLSS Quality mode is hard to spot from Native Resolution unless your looking for it in fences or really distant shadows. Games that have rain can looks worse with DLSS. Other games ones like COD, it is just free FPS. so why not do it?
No, it definitely looks worse than DLAA. Upscaling from below native resolution is objectively worse and often noticeably so. DLSS is the overhyped transitional form of DLAA to cope with GPUs not being fast enough.

System Name ASUS TUF F15
Processor Intel Core i5-10300H
Motherboard ASUS FX506LHB
Cooling Laptop built-in cooling lol
Memory 20GB @ 2666 Dual Channel
Video Card(s) Intel UHD & Nvidia GTX 1650 Mobile
Storage WD Black SN770 NVMe 1TB PCIe 4.0
Display(s) Laptop built-in 144 Hz FHD screen
Audio Device(s) LOGITECH 2.1-channel
Power Supply ASUS 180W PSU (from more powerful ASUS TUF DASH F15 lol)
Mouse Logitech G604
Keyboard SteelSeries Apex 7 TKL
Software Windows 11 Enterprise 21H2
personally i'd go for the 4070 super over the stock 4070 , fair bit quicker and usually only around 50 more.

i have the stock 4070 myself, but if i was buying now itd def be the super variant.
price-performance factor bro.. if it's 10% more performance but 25% more at price, then.. lol

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
Not a fan of DLSS or DLAA?
We need a universal solution. Otherwise I'm not interested. MS seems to be moving that way. Proprietary = no go

absolutely its in some games on the level of an rtx 4080/super. or just 10% behind,. but thats it. thats whre the good stuff ends. and yes maybe thats already enough for some. or for heavy modding the 20gb can come in handy.

also the 7900 cards really blow in 4k not 1440p. in 4k the 7900xtr is up to 35% faster than a 7800xt, while in 1440p this falls often to 20-25%. yes tested it myself.

:love:
I run my 7900XT at 250-270W and I get stock perf out of it. There is no perf sacrifice there.

You oughta have some more hands on experience before you review-judge ;)

Game support... RDNA3 has worked on many games out of the box lately, where Nvidia needed game ready drivers. Your view on this is colored, and not in a good way. Also, I play lots of legacy and generally lots of different games... everything worked. No update required.

System Name Main
Processor R7 5950x
Motherboard MSI x570S Unify-X Max
Cooling D5 clone, 280 rad, two F14 + three F12S bottom/intake, two P14S + F14S (Rad) + two F14 (top)
Memory 2x8 GB Corsair Vengeance bdie 3600@CL16 1.35v
Video Card(s) GB 2080S WaterForce WB
Storage six M.2 pcie gen 4
Display(s) Sony 50X90J
Case Tt Level 20 HT
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar AE, modded Sennheiser HD 558, Klipsch 2.1 THX
Power Supply Corsair RMx 750w
Mouse Logitech G903
Keyboard GSKILL Ripjaws
VR HMD NA
Software win 10 pro x64
Benchmark Scores TimeSpy score Fire Strike Ultra SuperPosition CB20
@JohH
because not all games support DLAA?!
i rather use quality DLSS, than nothing/no MSAA option.

D

Deleted member 239770

I feel I want to return to this thread to make a post about an observation.

You are allowed to criticize my point if you think I am unfair in any way.

When I had the RTX 2060 and 3070, I thought DLSS was great, but it was worse than native.

When I got my 7900 XT and still to this day, I get performance that does not require the use of any upscaling.

FSR only works well IMO if you are downsampling from something like 5K, where even the performance FSR looks superior to native, but this is only if you are downsampling a non native resolution to begin with because whilst you do get a cleaned up image using VSR / DSR it softens the image just like DLSS / FSR can. This method is usually the end ditch to clean up bad visuals because some games have bad post - process AA.

Resident Evil games benefit greatly from this combination of VSR + FSR from a higher downsampled resolution, but in all honesty it only really matters if all you do is look at graphics, once playing, you tend to forget and the enjoyment you gain from the game you play becomes much more addictive and the longer lasting feeling / memory.

Also another and final point, it's only truly people who bought underpowered GPU's for a desired resolution or want to push the highest eye candy that delve so deeply into the topic of upscaling and usually they tend to end up rather dogged about it, even if said solution is not always good. Do you hear the version of FSR that I mentioned commonly?
People who try different things and have experienced difference methods and put effort into them, gain more knowledge about things.

In a lazy A - B test of DLSS vs FSR, yes it is inferior, but as they say, it depends how you use it.

No, it's the successor to the 6700 XT with a badly chosen name. The only good thing about its pricing is that it's cheaper than the 12 GB 4070.
look cu count. the 7700xt is a perfect successor to the 6700xt but only12 gb again is its dowsnide otherwise its perfect a good 30% faster

I run my 7900XT at 250-270W and I get stock perf out of it. There is no perf sacrifice there.
no you dont. lie as much as you want.

System Name Main
Processor R7 5950x
Motherboard MSI x570S Unify-X Max
Cooling D5 clone, 280 rad, two F14 + three F12S bottom/intake, two P14S + F14S (Rad) + two F14 (top)
Memory 2x8 GB Corsair Vengeance bdie 3600@CL16 1.35v
Video Card(s) GB 2080S WaterForce WB
Storage six M.2 pcie gen 4
Display(s) Sony 50X90J
Case Tt Level 20 HT
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar AE, modded Sennheiser HD 558, Klipsch 2.1 THX
Power Supply Corsair RMx 750w
Mouse Logitech G903
Keyboard GSKILL Ripjaws
VR HMD NA
Software win 10 pro x64
Benchmark Scores TimeSpy score Fire Strike Ultra SuperPosition CB20
its not always ppl buying underpowered stuff.
what about ppl that dont have the funds to regularly upgrade?
enough ppl still on RTX 1 or 2 series, easy to get games running they couldnt without it.

sure, a Nissan GTR will never be a +300K lambo/bentley etc,
but it allows ppl without a big wallet to do things with perf close enough, they couldnt enjoy otherwise.

and thats ignoring there are enough games that will have you "stationary" for some periods,
allowing you to see how good or bad stuff looks, not just because "i want to get picky" about things.
i do play on a pc for the visuals, or i would be gaming at FHD/30Hz on my phone. :D

either way, im out, as OP hasnt added anything the last 3 pages...

D

Deleted member 239770

I shall do the leg work and provide some real numbers to both my own claims and that other user.
Please stand by.

I will use desktop recording through the Radeon driver.

I shall do the leg work and provide some real numbers to both my own claims and that other user.
Please stand by.

I will use desktop recording through the Radeon driver.
watch out you dont get a driver timeout lmao

replicate this 4k dlss balanced 150 watts the 7900 will be double that . garbage gen from amd. rdna 2 was much much better esepcially with MPT.
Screenshot (479).png

Status
Not open for further replies.