• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Arc A770: only 3% faster than a 1080ti?

I'd hate for Intel to give up, but releasing your top flight videocard in 2023 that only has the perf. of a near 6-year old Nvidia GPU is EMBARRASSING, after all, this is Intel we're talking about here not S3 or Matrox.
Yeah that's not how this works. Their first gen lineup price and marketing wise was never advertised as a high-end flagship tier product.

That's like saying the 2023 Kia sedan lineup is embarassing because it's on par feature wise with a 2015 era Lexus sedan. It's like well duh, it's not a high-end product......

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK
Cooling AMD Wraith Prism
Memory Team Group Dark Pro 8Pack Edition 3600Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 FE
Storage Kingston A2000 1TB + Seagate HDD workhorse
Display(s) Samsung 50" QN94A Neo QLED
Case Antec 1200
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-850
Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma
Keyboard Logitech UltraX
Software Windows 11
Maybe I am wrong but I am impressed their first real dig at a dedicated card is as good as it is, I would never buy one, but I am impressed.

Indeed, AMD's Vega 64 launched almost 6 months later and didn't come close to the GTX 1080 Ti. It's still a beast card and frankly that Intel offer this level of performance already is exciting.

I gotta wonder what kind of sales Intel is getting off their Arc series of discrete GPU's. How many of the Intel fans here have actually BOUGHT an Arc card?

releasing your top flight videocard in 2023 that only has the perf. of a near 6-year old Nvidia GPU is EMBARRASSING

Well it's a good thing they didn't release it in 2023.

I gotta wonder what kind of sales Intel is getting off their Arc series of discrete GPU's. How many of the Intel fans here have actually BOUGHT an Arc card?

JPR to the rescue. Though Intel doesn't report market movement beyond chips they've sold to vendors/partners. Product in actual consumer hands is not something that they include in their reports.

1683790353989.png

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
hopefully they can deliver on their battlemage promises but I'm not going to knock their first attempt at discrete GPUs against companies that have been going at it for three decades

They have 6GB 'Performance tier' planned in Q2-3/2023, I mean wow. That was fine in 2017-2018.
There is a LOT of catching up to do, and that is even with red and green in near-limbo for 3 odd years now...

Still I agree we need to give Intel a fair chance, nothing is lost waiting where they go next.

Processor faster at instructions than yours
Motherboard more nurturing than yours
Cooling frostier than yours
Memory superior scheduling & haphazardly entry than yours
Video Card(s) better rasterization than yours
Storage more ample than yours
Display(s) increased pixels than yours
Case fancier than yours
Audio Device(s) further audible than yours
Power Supply additional amps x volts than yours
Mouse without as much gnawing as yours
Keyboard less clicky than yours
VR HMD not as odd looking as yours
Software extra mushier than yours
Benchmark Scores up yours
Maybe at 1080p, but not at 1440p, not anymore.
you could say that about current nvidia mid tier (or performance) cards as well if we are talking ultra settings and VRAM heavy

ixi

Personally i'll say they did great for first batch of release. Compare intel to china town gpu's and you will see what is terrible release, but everyone starts somewhere. Personally I'm glad intel did release them and I do hope to see better on next gen release. Thanks Raja for many, many delays, but you did ya job.

System Name Office
Processor Ryzen 5600G
Motherboard ASUS B450M-A II
Cooling be quiet! Shadow Rock LP
Memory 16GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4-3200
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RX 5600 XT
Storage PNY CS1030 250GB, Crucial MX500 2TB
Display(s) Dell S2719DGF
Case Fractal Define 7 Compact
Power Supply EVGA 550 G3
Mouse Logitech M705 Marthon
Keyboard Logitech G410
Software Windows 10 Pro 22H2

Dunno about any Intel fans, but I bought one.

Case fancier than yours
Dunno about any Intel fans, but I bought one.
out of curiosity how is it?

They have 6GB 'Performance tier' planned in Q2-3/2023, I mean wow. That was fine in 2017-2018.
I caught that as well and they have a second unit in the top part of mainstream just below that performance unit. It's not the same card because the SKU is different but my guess it's a refresh of their A380 with a more efficient chip. Perhaps they were not sure how to market that card or its price point so only one of those cards will come out. It could also be a part they promised to the mass brands in order for them to reach price points in their "gaming PC". I think that's a relationship Intel can leverage better than Nvidia.

System Name Office
Processor Ryzen 5600G
Motherboard ASUS B450M-A II
Cooling be quiet! Shadow Rock LP
Memory 16GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4-3200
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RX 5600 XT
Storage PNY CS1030 250GB, Crucial MX500 2TB
Display(s) Dell S2719DGF
Case Fractal Define 7 Compact
Power Supply EVGA 550 G3
Mouse Logitech M705 Marthon
Keyboard Logitech G410
Software Windows 10 Pro 22H2
out of curiosity how is it?

Short answer: Built like a GD tank. On the downside, I can't get it to work right, but have only had an hour since it showed up on Tuesday to futz with it.

Long answer: Forthcoming. It may become something of a saga, so I'm planning on starting a thread chronicling the journey. I'll try to remember to tag you when I do.

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard MSI MPG Z790I Edge WiFi Gaming
Cooling be quiet! Pure Loop 240mm
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 (G95SC)
Case LANCOOL 205M MESH Snow
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on schitt Modi+ & Valhalla 2
Power Supply ASUS ROG Loki SFX-L 1000W
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software openSUSE Tumbleweed
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
System Name Windows | Linux
Processor 13900K | 14900KS
Motherboard Pro Z790-A WiFi | Z790 Apex Encore
Cooling Arctic LF III 360 | Arctic LF III 420
Memory 32GB 6600 CL32 | 48GB 8200 CL38
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 | RTX 4070Ti Super
Display(s) MSI MAG401QR
Case Phanteks P600s | Asus PA602
Power Supply Vertex GX-1000 | Vertex GX-1000
Software Win 11 Pro | Varies - Some form of Debian
Benchmark Scores They suck.
I'm not a 'fan' of any company, but I bought an A750.

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
VR HMD Quest 3
I’m curious. Since you don’t own one and I thought this was in like general hardware. Did you actually want information? Or were you just shit posting in the arc section? Because you don’t seem very open minded.

Case fancier than yours
It's in Intel ARC GPU's. Nice job w/the accusations though. I thought mods were supposed to be impartial?

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
VR HMD Quest 3
so we heard from 80 watt hamster, what about you guys? opinions on the Intel GPUs?

Hm, its complicated. IMO the launch was really bad driver wise. News outlets also did a great job shiting on DX9 games and otherwise making it out to be a trainwreck.

I agree with some of it.

The early drivers were a nightmare, I covered it a few times it certainly did not like mixing with onboard gpus. I mean it worked fine in the end, but driver install was hard.

Current drivers are much better. I have never seen such milestones from nvidia or AMD. (though its not like they ever needed to play catchup)

The UAC required for the control panel when you login, idk Its annoying, but I think its blown out of proportion, I would like it not too, but uplay and mouse software already does that kind of shit so it didnt bother me a ton. I also dont like the full screen transparent thing they do, but if they fixed those two things I dont really mind how the control panel looks at all. Its not like I am in them everyday and its much more modern looking than nvidias though TBH it shouldnt really matter imo.

As for gaming, expecially on any current drivers well great. I mean the titles I test are all over the map. FF XIV, cyberpunk, the new mw2. neir, harvestella, hogwarts legacy, I should try the original neverwinter nights.

All ran fine, I mean I cant automatically set everything to ultra like I do on my 4090 but that was never the point of the card. For midrange I managed auto settings most of the time with a few settings (I would change things like film grain because I hate it) but tbh I would always expect frame drops on midrange cards (sorry?) the vram on it helps a lot if you poll GPU-Z, these engines like to allocate a lot in prep for use which helps a lot in frame consistency imo.

I havent had any issues lately with BSODs or lockups at all even with throwing things on multiple monitors. (acer XB271HU and an lg P27H-20) It isnt my main machine with 3x 4k dislpays, but when it was it drove those same games fine. Given the amount of pixel stress it was under.

The GPUs run cool and there is nothing wrong with the founders edition imo. I have the Asrock 770 as well with the 3 fans and the crazy shit, but its not needed.

If I had to pray for change it would be LED controls over pci-e and otherwise just hoping they stick with it and keep making GPUs.

From an engineering perspective it is truly incredible they have managed so much in such a small amount of time. and at what under? a year since we could get our hands on them (launch was in november iirc) the fact they even have as much market share as they do is crazy to me. I dont really see it as a loss.

Oh and, its 2 slot quiet and did I mention the card looks sexy AF?

Last edited:
System Name Windows | Linux
Processor 13900K | 14900KS
Motherboard Pro Z790-A WiFi | Z790 Apex Encore
Cooling Arctic LF III 360 | Arctic LF III 420
Memory 32GB 6600 CL32 | 48GB 8200 CL38
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 | RTX 4070Ti Super
Display(s) MSI MAG401QR
Case Phanteks P600s | Asus PA602
Power Supply Vertex GX-1000 | Vertex GX-1000
Software Win 11 Pro | Varies - Some form of Debian
Benchmark Scores They suck.
so we heard from 80 watt hamster, what about you guys? opinions on the Intel GPUs?

I was typing my reply when @Solaris17 posted his experience. Mine matches almost exactly so no need to say it again.

Some specific thoughts of mine:

I'm a little more annoyed by the UAC prompt at login, but it's really not a huge deal. Hopefully they'll fix it.

Even only having the A750, I was able to play Hogwarts @ 1440p/High using XeSS and managed a pretty much locked 60fps. XeSS also looked better to me than FSR. I mixed play between the A750 PC and my daily (4090) and was surprised how well the Arc held up.

I was also able to play Forza Horizon 4 on the Arc when the nivdia drivers for the 4090 were causing crashes. :shadedshu:

The only negative I've run into is that some non-popular/older games have sometimes just failed to start, or required some tweaking to get going.

I think in another post I said that if the Arc is going to be your only card and you play some older indie games you'll need to be a bit more flexible with issues that can/will pop up. If you don't want to deal with that, you'd probably be better served by an RX6600/6600XT.

opinions on the Intel GPUs?

Tried to use it shortly after the launch period and had to go back to my previous daily driver. It was just too painful, not enough of my games worked on the first try (or in the case of Darktide worked at all) and there were simply no combination of options that would fix poor performance because it was all in drivers.

By late January that changed entirely and I've been daily driving the A770 since. It's almost painless at this point. There are still some strange bugs and artifacts in some games (Elden Ring with ray tracing has some very obvious lighting problems that manifest at complete random times) but the overall performance in games is not a very contentious point anymore. It performs anywhere between the 3060 and 3060 Ti, with a few games putting it around the 3070. XeSS isn't much advanced over older versions of DLSS and FSR, but it doesn't look the worst, and the performance gains from enabling it are almost 1:1 with the other options.

I have gripes about certain features literally existing in the drivers but requiring editing the configuration files to expose on the Arc Control software. Fan control for the A770 LE is hidden behind a true/false flag buried some 100 lines into a file, and once enabled allows creating and saving a custom fan curve. Should be default exposed, but like DRAM overclocking Intel doesn't trust anyone to do any amount of hard-set options tuning and wants to keep everything locked behind their 'intended experience'. The lack of curve optimization for core clock tuning is a bummer, and the nebulous set of offset and core voltage sliders that effectively do the exact same thing in tandem is annoying. The power limit being adjustable beyond 228W but only through a sequence of software resets and state changes that has to be done repeatedly as it doesn't save.

Overclocking is also a strange affair in general. Sometimes the card just decides that, no, fuck you, we're running at 2.1GHz no matter what settings you configured, and yes we're still going to suck down 220W while doing it. Other times it'll happily chug along at 2.6GHz without ever cracking 190W. Giving the user manual control would be a nice option, even if it comes with a disclaimer, because I can't trust Arc Control to actually do its job with consistency.

Overall these past few months, 8/10 experience. Drivers install easily now, the software is less shit, game support is good, performance is acceptable and bugs are minimal or quickly patched (Intel released 3 driver updates in a single week just recently. They are not fucking around anymore).

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
VR HMD Quest 3
Surely with the newer drivers these cards are more than 3% faster than GTX 1080 Ti?
If nothing else these graphics cards are interesting, the only thing that is questionable to me is mandatory "Resizable BAR" requirement. Noone truly needs it, why should intel?
It probably is. I mean I gave away a 1080ti to my friends wife and kept the 770 faster smaller quieter? I’d do it again.

As for your rebar remark, going to assume you don’t own one either. They do but you lose performance just how AMD and Nvidia do. If you think the 7 and 4 series performance numbers weren’t posted with rebar enabled your wrong.

intel stated it because their tech was built to work with it from the get go, not an afterthought.

as for rebar itself it’s been part of the pci spec since 2007. If your machine doesn’t support it you should be mad at your mobo manufacture not mad at amd, nvidia or even intel.

System Name Holiday Season Budget Computer (HSBC)
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7700X
Motherboard MSi PRO B650M-A WiFi
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory 2x 16 GB Corsair Vengeance EXPO DDR5-6000
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 6500 XT 4 GB
Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 4 + 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Display(s) Dell S3422DWG, 7" Waveshare touchscreen
Case Kolink Citadel Mesh black
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z333 2.1 speakers, AKG Y50 headphones
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-750
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech G413 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro
Short answer: Built like a GD tank. On the downside, I can't get it to work right, but have only had an hour since it showed up on Tuesday to futz with it.

Long answer: Forthcoming. It may become something of a saga, so I'm planning on starting a thread chronicling the journey. I'll try to remember to tag you when I do.
Tag me as well, please. :toast:

I've been wanting to buy one, but it's so damn rare and expensive! :( I'm thinking about buying an A380 for my HTPC instead. At least that's widely available.

The UAC required for the control panel when you login, idk Its annoying, but I think its blown out of proportion, I would like it not too, but uplay and mouse software already does that kind of shit so it didnt bother me a ton. I also dont like the full screen transparent thing they do, but if they fixed those two things I dont really mind how the control panel looks at all. Its not like I am in them everyday and its much more modern looking than nvidias though TBH it shouldnt really matter imo.
The integrated UHD 750 on my 11700 started to do that after an automatic driver update (it's Xe Graphics, after all). Is there no fix for it? It's super annoying. :( Unfortunately, I have to use it because the 1050 Ti that's also in that system can't do full dynamic range colours on 4K 60 Hz.

Last edited:

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
VR HMD Quest 3
The integrated UHD 750 on my 11700 started to do that after an automatic driver update (it's Xe Graphics, after all). Is there no fix for it? It's super annoying. :( Unfortunately, I have to use it because the 1050 Ti that's also in that system can't do full dynamic range colours on 4K 60 Hz.
Not yet. The mobile and dgpu drivers are being unified slowly which is good for everyone imo. That explains why you are seeing it but they have yet to remove the requirement.

System Name Holiday Season Budget Computer (HSBC)
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7700X
Motherboard MSi PRO B650M-A WiFi
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory 2x 16 GB Corsair Vengeance EXPO DDR5-6000
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 6500 XT 4 GB
Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 4 + 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Display(s) Dell S3422DWG, 7" Waveshare touchscreen
Case Kolink Citadel Mesh black
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z333 2.1 speakers, AKG Y50 headphones
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-750
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech G413 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro
Not yet. The mobile and dgpu drivers are being unified slowly which is good for everyone imo. That explains why you are seeing it but they have yet to remove the requirement.
I agree that unified drivers are good (I see that on my main AMD PC), but they should fix the UAC requirement.

Sherhi

Is techpowerup GPU database updated based on newest Intel drivers? Was looking at A380 for example and latest review was from August 2022.

Total performance is not that important, most people care about price/performance ratio and that seems decent. Even some new 6gb card will be fine even though 1080p higher settings now requires more than 8 GBs but if that tiny card costs like 120-150€/USD and has decent performance then why not? It's solid strategy to take over low end dedicated GPU market and make a name even with close to 0 profit.

Last edited: