• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Dell Workstation Owners Club

I guess parts will be extra warm if the computer is on for a long time? Maybe good to turn it off sometimes and not only to restarts?

System Name C30 w.2x E2650L v2; T5500 w.2x X5670;2x P35 w.X3360; 2x Q33 w.Q9550S/Q9400S & laptops.
I'm thinking strongly about swapping over.

EDIT;
They do make them for my UPS,
I would not put that in my home...or my car.

But it is your choice. :cool:

1. They do not like HEAT.
2. They can't be extinguished by any way, other then throwing them in Pit or Metal case.

So in car, it is a NO WAY.
& in house, NOT RISKING it. :cool:
I would agree with you concerning larger batteries in homes and especially in cars! The size of battery for UPS units however is not something I would personally worry about.

System Name BTXTREME
Processor QX6800 SLACP Core2 Extreme
Motherboard Dell 0WG864 LGA775 BTX
Cooling Dell T9303 heatpipe cooler, Delta GFB1212VHG 2 motor fan.
Memory 8GB Dell DDR2@800
Video Card(s) Sapphire Dual BIOS R9-285 ITX O/C 2GB DDR5
Storage Crucial M500 240GB SSD
Display(s) Dell 22" LCD
Case Dell Dimension E 520 MT
Audio Device(s) onboard sound with Logitech Z523 speakers
Power Supply EVGA B2 750W semi modular
Mouse Logitech wireless (two installed)
Keyboard Logitech wireless backlit
Software Win7-64, Throttlestop 6.00 overclock
Benchmark Scores 3DMark 11 P7644 (52% )In Win7 64, Firestrike 6892 ( 58% ) http://valid.x86.fr/l2j5p1
One of the things that make Dells different than aftermarket DIY computers is that they are UL (Underwrtiters Laboratory) In EU it's probably something else. They've been tested and certified not to start fires. That's also why they tend to discourage modifications and uncertifide upgrades. Attaching it to a flamethrower UPS defeats the whole purpose.

One of the things that make Dells different than aftermarket DIY computers is that they are UL (Underwrtiters Laboratory) In EU it's probably something else. They've been tested and certified not to start fires. That's also why they tend to discourage modifications and uncertifide upgrades.
A UPS is not internal to the Dell systems being discussed here. Additionally, Dell does NOT disallow user upgrades and whatnot, and doing so does not void the Dell warranty. I think your understanding here needs adjustment.
Attaching it to a flamethrower UPS defeats the whole purpose.
You seem to be greatly over-reacting. The battery is only one part of a UPS. My APC model can actually take and properly charge lithium batteries, so it's not a fire hazard or any other hazard.

System Name BTXTREME
Memory 8GB Dell DDR2@800
Display(s) Dell 22" LCD
Benchmark Scores 3DMark 11 P7644 (52% )In Win7 64, Firestrike 6892 ( 58% ) http://valid.x86.fr/l2j5p1
Maybe there are some that are certifed with those batteries. But it seems this discussion was about switching to them in existing lead acid UPS devices. That might not be quite the same thing.
Is it possible to overreact to setting your home or place of employment on fire? I guess there's only one way to find out.

Maybe there are some that are certifed with those batteries. But it seems this discussion was about switching to them in existing lead acid UPS devices. That might not be quite the same thing.
What many don't realize is that while Lead-Acid and Lithium-Ion are very different chemistries, their mutual charging characteristics are very similar and can be interchangeable. I was not aware of this myself until the subject came up in another thread and wanted to research the matter further. Simply put, a manufacturer can build a Lithium based battery that will act as a drop-in replacement for Lead-Acid batteries without the need to modify the device needing the battery. It must be done carefully, but is not difficult if the engineering is done right.

Is it possible to overreact to setting your home or place of employment on fire? I guess there's only one way to find out.
Context is important. I'm not saying you're over-reacting to the dangers of fire and I am not under-reacting to same. I personally will never own, drive or ride in a vehicle that uses Lithium batteries in bulk. What I'm saying is that batteries of such a type that are used in the home/office environment are well regulated and pose a nearly nonexistent risk. Because the dangers of Lithium are known, regulations are strict. One can't just make a Lithium battery without adhering to regulations for manufacturing and transportation(key point).

System Name BTXTREME
Memory 8GB Dell DDR2@800
Display(s) Dell 22" LCD
I might exaggerate sometimes to get epeople to stop and think about what they're doing.
I do this in the Ebike forums about putting electric Motors on bikes with low end hydraulic brakes.
The failure mode is total loss of braking if the brake fluid boils under hard use. There are 20 year old cable disc brakes that with metallic pads are just about fireproof. I have a background in industrial and transportation safety.
I may not have all the answers, but I usually know what questions to ask.

I got my 10tb drive today. It did not show up in my Dell T3500. I had to format it in GPT in my Asrock Z590 oc formula. I tried it in my Dell again. I cannot see the drive.

I got my 10tb drive today. It did not show up in my Dell T3500. I had to format it in GPT in my Asrock Z590 oc formula. I tried it in my Dell again. I cannot see the drive.
Have you check in the BIOS to enable that SATA channel it's connected too? They are often disabled when no drives are connected, otherwise the BIOS gives warnings about the drive not being found.

System Name HP EliteBook 725 G3
Processor AMD PRO A10-8700B (1.8 GHz CMT dual module with 3.2 GHz boost)
Motherboard HP proprietary
Cooling pretty good
Memory 8 GB SK Hynix DDR3 SODIMM
Video Card(s) Radeon R6 (Carrizo/GCNv3)
Storage internal Kioxia XG6 1 TB NVMe SSD (aftermarket)
Display(s) HP P22h G4 21.5" 1080p (& 768p internal LCD)
Case HP proprietary metal case
Audio Device(s) built-in Conexant CX20724 HDA chipset -> Roland RH-200S
Power Supply HP-branded AC adapter
Mouse Steelseries Rival 310
Keyboard Cherry G84-5200
Software Alma Linux 9.1
Benchmark Scores Broadcom BCM94356 11ac M.2 WiFi card (aftermarket)
What many don't realize is that while Lead-Acid and Lithium-Ion are very different chemistries, their mutual charging characteristics are very similar and can be interchangeable. I was not aware of this myself until the subject came up in another thread and wanted to research the matter further. Simply put, a manufacturer can build a Lithium based battery that will act as a drop-in replacement for Lead-Acid batteries without the need to modify the device needing the battery. It must be done carefully, but is not difficult if the engineering is done right.

Context is important. I'm not saying you're over-reacting to the dangers of fire and I am not under-reacting to same. I personally will never own, drive or ride in a vehicle that uses Lithium batteries in bulk. What I'm saying is that batteries of such a type that are used in the home/office environment are well regulated and pose a nearly nonexistent risk. Because the dangers of Lithium are known, regulations are strict. One can't just make a Lithium battery without adhering to regulations for manufacturing and transportation(key point).
You cannot lump together traditional NMC Lithium Ion batteries and LiFePO4 (lithium-iron-phosphate) batteries, which are safer (and already in use in multiple mass production EVs). But the good news is that if you insist on avoiding lithium batteries completely, there is already an EV available in China with a new Na-ion (sodium ion) battery.

You cannot lump together traditional NMC Lithium Ion batteries and LiFePO4 (lithium-iron-phosphate) batteries
You're right and I'm not.

which are safer (and already in use in multiple mass production EVs).
SafER, not perfectly safe. LiFePo4 batteries can be safer to use, but they WILL still catch fire. The lithium might be bound to iron in a phosphate substrate, but that doesn't mean it's not still very dangerous.

But the good news is that if you insist on avoiding lithium batteries completely, there is already an EV available in China with a new Na-ion (sodium ion) battery.
I'm waiting for a newer chemistry to hit the market. There is one involving a carbon/sulphur compound that shows great promise and is very safe.

Have you check in the BIOS to enable that SATA channel it's connected too? They are often disabled when no drives are connected, otherwise the BIOS gives warnings about the drive not being found.
Yes i checked. It was the sata power from my old Cooler master 500w. I had to use a molex to sata adapter to make it spin. It first showed up as 1123mb in HDD Regenrator but after i updated the RTS it showed up as 9314. But in my computer it shows 9.09gb., taping the 3.3V tabs on the disk's power supply connector then after a certain SATA3.x version as voltage on this can cause the disk to become completely powerless via built-in MOS-FET pulleys on the disk controller card (a deliberate 'feature' on server disks for to be able to do 'Norwegian reset' - ie 'voltage off - voltage on' - remotely for backplanes that support this signalling). you have to search for yourself exactly which 3.3 V contact tongue turns off the disk and needs to be taped. I found that to diffecult so i used a molex to sata adapter.

I updated Intel RST but i guess (32-bit LBA addressing) can be tricky? https://www.dell.com/support/home/sv-se/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=rr3h4
RST Version 10.1.0.1008 and later (what I managed to google quickly) if you want 48-bit LBA addressing - now looks like it wraps on LBA32 and only sees the last 2TB block when it wants LBA48 - The OS can read out how big the disk is with the SATA ID but notices that it cannot talk to more than LBA32 which gives about 2TB addressable area with 512-byte sectors

if the disk had used 4K sectors, it would probably have been fine when you reach 16 TB with the 32-bit LBA addressing, either i train the motherboard to understand 48-bit addressing, or buy a 4k-native sector disk or have to use a sufficiently modern HBA that can handle LBA48. - had i been running with SAS disks i would have been able to reconfigure the sector size i wanted - including with T10 checksums.

Don't know if it is possible on some SATA disk models to reconfigure between emulated 512-byte sectors and native 4K sectors in their SATA protocol to the host. - all modern drives since like 10 years use 4K sector size internally - 512 byte sectors are just an 'artifact' from ancient times but it has been extremely difficult to get people to buy 4K native sector size on SATA drives.

I run H2testw to check if the disk writes all data and can read it, not as on fake ssd. But the thing remains over 200gb is missing from my computer size showing. In Windows 8.1 pro disk management the disk is 9313,98gb and in my computer 9.09gb.

Last edited:
System Name BTXTREME
Memory 8GB Dell DDR2@800
Display(s) Dell 22" LCD
Lead acid batteries can explode also. If over charged they can boil off the fluid and collect Hydrogen gas inside. One spark and BOOM. When jump starting a vehicle always make the last connnection far away from the dead battery. In fact it's best to make it at some ground away from any battery if possible. When working with truck batteries rubber gloves, rubber apron,and face shield were provided right next to the battery charger. The eye wash fountain was right there also.

Yes i checked. It was the sata power from my old Cooler master 500w. I had to use a molex to sata adapter to make it spin. It first showed up as 1123mb in HDD Regenrator but after i updated the RTS it showed up as 9314. But in my computer it shows 9.09gb., taping the 3.3V tabs on the disk's power supply connector then after a certain SATA3.x version as voltage on this can cause the disk to become completely powerless via built-in MOS-FET pulleys on the disk controller card (a deliberate 'feature' on server disks for to be able to do 'Norwegian reset' - ie 'voltage off - voltage on' - remotely for backplanes that support this signalling). you have to search for yourself exactly which 3.3 V contact tongue turns off the disk and needs to be taped. I found that to diffecult so i used a molex to sata adapter.
What happened when you used a SATA power connector?

Lead acid batteries can explode also. If over charged they can boil off the fluid and collect Hydrogen gas inside. One spark and BOOM.
Never seen or even heard of such a thing. However, we're getting a bit off-topic...

System Name BTXTREME
Memory 8GB Dell DDR2@800
Display(s) Dell 22" LCD
Batteries, and safety seems on topic. I know a couple one eyed mechanics who never heard of it and wished they had. I've seen it a few times, and I've done it myself. Fortunately I was at home and could find my way to the shower quickly. I've had to give first aid to others who couldn't find their way to the nearest water hose. It's a situation that's worth avoiding.

System Name Dell Precision Workstation T5820 XL Tower
Processor Intel Xeon W-2195 18 cores 36 threads 2,3 - 4,3GHz 25MB l3 cache 8GT/s QPI
Motherboard Dell 0TVW7J
Cooling Air
Memory 8x32GB (256GB) DDR4 ECC registered Samsung 2400MHz CL17
Video Card(s) Manli Gallardo RTX 3080 Ti
Storage 10TB
Display(s) HyperX Armada 25 240Hz
Case Dell Precision T5820 Tower XL
Audio Device(s) Jamo Cornet 145, Technics SU-VZ320, Yamaha YST-SW80
Power Supply Delta Electronics H950EF-00 950W
Mouse Asus ROG Chakram
Keyboard Asus ROG Claymore II
Software Window 11 Pro for Workstations x64 23H2
Benchmark Scores 3D Mark Time spy 16848
Hey all. Just picked up a 2080ti today. Got it in the 5810. Runs that card at 250 watts and my CPU at 200 watts just awesome. So far no hiccups
You have awesome PC. Congrats!!!

What happened when you used a SATA power connector?

Never seen or even heard of such a thing. However, we're getting a bit off-topic...
It did not start. I tried to scan 9.09tb with H2testw and it filled the disk with files and read them without errors. Some said it would be impossible to have a 10tb drive in my T3500 when it has 32 bit lba but it seems to work. The disk size 9.09tb is because of it counts in tebybytes, confusing. HDD Regenerator scanned the disk at 169mb/s pretty fast.

I have A17 bios. It should be something with LBA 32 bit only being avaible to adress 2tb and then rewrite. But i will test mine, i will be glad if it works. Otherwise a HBA card will do but it's cables are expensive to. I did tests and it seems to write to the whole disk.