• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Do you use Linux?

Do you use Linux?

• Total voters
System Name Holiday Season Budget Computer (HSBC)
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7700X
Motherboard MSi PRO B650M-A WiFi
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory 2x 16 GB Corsair Vengeance EXPO DDR5-6000
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 6500 XT 4 GB
Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 4 + 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Display(s) Dell S3422DWG, 7" Waveshare touchscreen
Case Kolink Citadel Mesh black
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z333 2.1 speakers, AKG Y50 headphones
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-750
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech G413 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro
Probably not the best choice if you care about gaming. Gaming often requires new packages for a number of things. Mint, being Ubuntu-based is more about stability and that means older, tested packages.
If you want up-to-date, I would suggest OpenSuse Tumbleweed or some Arch derivative that comes with a proper installer. Do some research first, see what works for you.
The only reason I'd choose Mint is because I've used both Mint and Ubuntu in the past, so it's at least something I know well (until I have to rely on the Terminal, where I'm dead).

For what it's worth, on my Linux box I'm able to successfully run and use:
  • Steam
  • Blizzard's Battle.net launcher for Diablo II R, III, and IV, WoW, Starcraft, etc. (lutris launcher)
  • Ubisoft's Connect Client for Assassin's Creed Mirage, Avatar FoP, etc. (lutris launcher)
  • EA App for Star Wars Jedi Survivor, Dragon Age franchise, etc. (lutris launcher)
  • Rockstar's Client for RDR2, GTA V, etc. (lutris launcher)
  • Other games installed from Windows installers (like games from Spiderweb Software) (lutris launcher)
  • Epic Games, Amazon Games, and GOG using the Heroic Games Launcher
I think you've mentioned in the past that you have some extra hardware after upgrading. The best thing you could do is put together a box and start messing with/learning it now.
So basically, you can install and run all your games using only 3 launchers? That's awesome! :)

Yeah, I'll really have to look around for some spare AMD parts. I've got a bunch of Nvidia cards laying around, but considering that AMD drivers are zero effort, being part of the kernel, I'd rather go that route.

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
The only reason I'd choose Mint is because I've used both Mint and Ubuntu in the past, so it's at least something I know well (until I have to rely on the Terminal, where I'm dead).
Here's the thing, trying a Linus distro is basically free: they all offer bootable ISOs that you put on a USB stick and try without changing anything on your system. But yes, Ubuntu/Mint are more suited for people that just want things to work (nothing wrong with that, it just happens I'm in the opposite camp).

Edit: Forgot to mention it, even for Ubuntu/Mint there are PPAs available that will offer newer packages that the official distro does. I just grew tired of hunting for them, but they did their job for quite a while.

System Name 192.168.1.1~192.168.1.100
Processor AMD Ryzen5 5600G.
Motherboard Gigabyte B550m DS3H.
Cooling AMD Wraith Stealth.
Memory 16GB Crucial DDR4.
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 1080 OC (Underclocked, underpowered).
Storage Samsung 980 NVME 500GB && Assortment of SSDs.
Display(s) LG 24MK430 primary && Samsung S24D590 secondary
Case Corsair Graphite 780T.
Audio Device(s) On-Board.
Power Supply SeaSonic CORE GM-650.
Mouse Coolermaster MM530.
Keyboard Kingston HyperX Alloy FPS.
VR HMD A pair of OP spectacles.
Software Ubuntu 22.04 LTS.
Benchmark Scores Me no know English. What bench mean? Bench like one sit on?
Server or not, I've always wondered why Windows relies on periodic reboots while other OSes don't.
Patching active components aside, I don't think any modern OS "relies" on reboots to maintain performance and stability.
A poorly made application or driver may cause instability as uptime grows, but this is true for any OS. Hell, my current linux installation barely lasts a couple of days before it starts slowing to a crawl (I suspect it has something to do with Nvidia/X)!

Probably not the best choice if you care about gaming. Gaming often requires new packages for a number of things. Mint, being Ubuntu-based is more about stability and that means older, tested packages.
Most stuff of significance are pulled from outside the official distro's repos.

Valve for example provides everything related to the compatibility layer. Other launchers can do the same, and the launchers themselves can be distributed as flatpaks (which makes the practically similar on all distros).

Only difference I suppose would be the drivers, especially in Nvidia's case. Although even in this case one can just grab the latest .run from Nvidia's website. My 2c: it's better stick to the stability route with this one. Graphics drivers issues can be a pain. I always find myself going back to Ubuntu because of them.

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
Most stuff of significance are pulled from outside the official distro's repos.

Valve for example provides everything related to the compatibility layer. Other launchers can do the same, and the launchers themselves can be distributed as flatpaks (which makes the practically similar on all distros).

Only difference I suppose would be the drivers, especially in Nvidia's case. Although even in this case one can just grab the latest .run from Nvidia's website. My 2c: it's better stick to the stability route with this one. Graphics drivers issues can be a pain. I always find myself going back to Ubuntu because of them.
I'm on Nvidia and I never install the drivers myself. Always from a repo (be that official Arch, Ubuntu PPA or whatever). But the bigger problem is AMD: their drivers almost always need bleeding edge Mesa and outside rolling distros, nobody provides that from official repos.

System Name RemixedBeast-NX
Processor Intel Xeon E5-2690 @ 2.9Ghz (8C/16T)
Motherboard Dell Inc. 08HPGT (CPU 1)
Cooling Dell Standard
Memory 24GB ECC
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Nvidia RTX2060 6GB
Storage 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD//2TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster P2350 23in @ 1920x1080 + Dell E2013H 20 in @1600x900
Case Dell Precision T3600 Chassis
Audio Device(s) Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 // Fiio E7 Amp/DAC
Power Supply 630w Dell T3600 PSU
Mouse Logitech G700s/G502
Keyboard Logitech K740
Software Linux Mint 20
Benchmark Scores Network: APs: Cisco Meraki MR32, Ubiquiti Unifi AP-AC-LR and Lite Router/Sw:Meraki MX64 MS220-8P
The DAW I use called bitwig studio was made for linux basically... made by ex ableton devs! As a producer that's all I need