• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

DTS DCH Driver for Realtek HDA [DTS:X APO4 + DTS Interactive]

@bottlefedc83, some further thoughts, you should be able to set as 7.1, then a media player will need to be set to 7.1, but swap side to height before output as 7.1.
Windows wont care what audio is populating the side channels, although you cant set MS APO's to height, it should be fine at this point.

The receiver will receive 8 channels as expected (5.1 +2 height = 8 ch), if set to 5.1.2 then side as height out. Note it could be rear and not side.
If you are talking about games, then the game will need to do the same thing as the media player example, and support it.
This is exactly what I have been doing it works fine it's just an annoyance. I used rear because AFHT forced my rears into the heights when I had my old receiver plugged in that didn't support atmos. Now that I have one that natively does it.... does the same thing. So it looks like this in windows for me.
Screenshot 2023-10-30 215929.png

Like SPDIF (LOL), to get more than X channels on HDMI you need Dolby-DTS, in this case more than 8 channels.
Setting Windows to 8 channels (7.1) then remapping is about all you can do.

The whole 32 x 48k channels over HDMI is a white elephant specification, cant use it with Windows.
Also don't bother with any 384kHz devices, total waste of money, cant hear it.

48k /2 = 24 kHz, human hearing range is 20 Hz - 20 kHz. Most amps are in the same range.

24 bit can represent up to ~144 dB, over 90 dB starts to do damage to the ear. No need for 32 bit.
32 bit float is useful for audio processing, and amplification, no clipping (1528 dB).

Last edited:
Like SPDIF (LOL), to get more than X channels on HDMI you need Dolby-DTS, in this case more than 8 channels.
Setting Windows to 8 channels (7.1) then remapping is about all you can do.

The whole 32 x 48k channels over HDMI is a white elephant specification, cant use it with Windows.
Also don't bother with any 384kHz devices, total waste of money, cant hear it.

48k /2 = 24 kHz, human hearing range is 20 Hz - 20 kHz. Most amps are in the same range.

24 bit can represent up to ~144 dB, over 90 dB starts to do damage to the ear. No need for 32 bit.
32 bit float is useful for audio processing, and amplification, no clipping (1528 dB).
It just seems lazy or at the minimum not focused enough on things that matter from Microsoft. More than 8 channels has been around for a while, even more than that anything using 8 channels or under now is a growing nonstandard group.

Yeah, I am with you on the waste of money on stuff I can't use, my man cave is quite size limited so even my 5.2.2 is more than enough. I also didn't overspend on all those wasted features in my AVR, snagged a Onkyo 6050 for under $350 shipped. Other than the minor annoyance of no real pre-out for adding another amp in case I would like to add more channels, I can't complain.

Well quite true, Microsoft is very behind. 16 channels has been a spec for HDA since 2004. In some cases its also OEMs, take for example the current SPDIF standard, and what is implemented by OEMs.
From what I can tell SPDIF supported 15+ channels, around 2008-2009 maybe before I am not sure, but well before HDMI 2.0, which supported true 8 channels 192k.

Before HDMI 2.0, 1.4 so on, the device had to down sample to get 8 channels, HDMI supported 1536k aggregate samples at version 2+.
Any device capable of 8 x 192k = 1536k aggregate samples, so HDMI is actually very behind in development.

====

If I remember correctly, the current PCM format used to bitstream (passthrough) is, 8 x 192k 16 bit, the older format is 2 x 48k 16bit.

CS42528 | Cirrus Logic (8 channel (192k 24bit) SPDIF receiver with format detection).

Attachments

• SPDIF - TOSLink.png
    SPDIF - TOSLink.png
    133.5 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
Added 'Audio Reset' to 'Settings and Utility', guide included. Added some images below, for extra assistance.

Attachments

• Reset Audio.png
    Reset Audio.png
    861.1 KB · Views: 80
  • Audio Off - Example.png
    Audio Off - Example.png
    216.7 KB · Views: 78
  • Audio On - Example.png
    Audio On - Example.png
    135.2 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
Added 'Clean Listen.reg' to 'DTS Settings', used to remove the added registry data Windows adds to the endpoint (Speakers-SPDIF) when using the 'Listen To' feature (example: Stereo Mix).
If you disable-enable the endpoint (sound panel), Windows will re-add the registry data, so you will need to re-use the .reg file each time. Stupid Microsoft.

The added data degrades audio for no reason! Note that the 'Listen To' feature is Microsoft, not drivers.

Last edited:
Follow the first part of post 1 for a guide to remove all stock drivers, extensions and software components.
If the stock has an uninstaller run that first, then do what's mentioned in post 1.

Realtek can install a lot of single .inf files, so there may be quite a few to remove.
There may also be other APO's such as Nahimic or Sonic studio to remove.

If any stock or third party remains, it can make the drivers not work.

====

Here is the fun part, WASAPI exclusive and ASIO are actually worse in sound than using DTS.
Unfortunately that means using Windows audio, which is full of shiz.

Also make sure ASPM is disabled in the bios and in Windows (high performance).
Its mostly for laptops, and causes popping and latency.

Active State Power Management - Wikipedia

====

DTS Settings:

Used to apply the DTS and Realtek APO's (Realtek in DTS mode), to other HDA devices (GPU).

Misc:

'Clean Listen', as above, removes added registry data when using the 'Listen To' feature.
'Realtek Capture', removes render APO's, from the Realtek loopback endpoints.
'Recording', sets the recording device (Mic, Stereo Mix) to 2 channel specific.

Last edited:
Hello and thx a lot for you effort you put into this driver! I am still reading, learning and trying and now reached the following setup (not going to add screenshots here cause my settings are in german):

1. Windows audio output set to Oculus Rift Headset:
- Windows device extended audio Settings: default format: 2 channels, 16bit, 48000Hz
- Room sound: DTS-Headphones: X (DTS:Ultra available as well)
- DTS Sound Unbound shows "DTS Headphone:X is choosen. Have Fun! and "DTS:X is installed. Have Fun!
- DTS:X Ultra shows: "Please connect external speakers to use DTS audio control. Please connect headphones to use DTS audio control."

2. Windows audio output set to SPDIF (DTS DCH Audio Device) - output device is 5.1 Pioneer AV Receiver:
- Windows device extended audio Settings: DTS Interactive
- Room sound: shows DTS-Headphones: X and DTS:X Ultra but i cannot activate it (switches back to"Deactivated")
- DTS Sound Unbound shows: "DTS Headphone:X is deactivated. Please activate it."
- DTS:X Ultra shows: "DTS:X ultra is active automatically set to multichannel audio"

3. Windows audio output set to "5.1 Pioneer HDMI AV Receiver (High Definition Audio):
- Windows device speaker configuration: 5.1
-> says "Download DTS:X Unbound from Windows Store" if i wanna set to "DTS:X for Home Theater"
- Windows device extended audio Settings: 24 Bit, 48000 Hz
-> open Windows Store with DTS Sound Unbound to open if i wanna set to "DTS:X for Home Theater"
-> open Windows Store with Dolby Acces to install if i wanna set to "Dolby Atmos for Home Theater"
- Room sound lists: DTS-Headphones: X and DTS:X Ultra but i cannot activate it (switches back to"Deactivated")
- DTS Sound Unbound shows: "DTS Headphone:X is deactivated. Please activate it."
- DTS:X Ultra: shows depending from which device i switch and if i reopen the software:
- sometimes "Please connect external speakers to use DTS audio control. Please connect headphones to use DTS audio control."
- sometimes "DTS:X ultra is active automatically set to multichannel audio"

4. Windows audio output set to "Logitech Pro X Gaming Headset"
- Windows device speaker configuration: 7.1
- Windows device extended audio Settings: 16 Bit, 48000 Hz
- Room sound lists:
- DTS-Headphones: X -> but is not saving this setting
- DTS:X Ultra but i cannot activate it (switches back to"Deactivated")
- DTS:X Ultra shows: "DTS:X ultra is active automatically set to multichannel audio"

Notes:
- 5.1 Pioneer AV Receiver is capable of DTS Audio, Dolby Digital Plus, DTS-HD, DolbyTrueHD, Dolby Digital
- 5.1 Pioneer AV Receiver showing "DTS" when used as output device for music via TOSLINK
- 5.1 Pioneer AV Receiver showing "PCM" when used as output device for music via HDMI

Really sorry for posting this much information. I already went through some threads regarding DTS, Surround Sound and patched audio drivers. I just do not fully understand which options should be available/unlocked, how all those options work together, and from which settings/setup i could benefit the most. I really would like to fully get what this driver does. Just did not get much in touch with audio stuff^^

Questions:
- Is the driver installed correctly and properly working?
- Are there settings i can improve?
- Is this driver meant to mostly improve sound (and options) for stereo systems and headphones?
- On Headphones should i set the room tone format to DTS: Headphones: X or DTS:X Ultra?
- Why is on my Logitech headset no DTS available, though "Logitech HUB" shows a "DTS Headphone: X v2.0" Logo in the surround tab of the Logitech HUB software?

I really would like to dive deeper into this topic and fully understand. Could someone help and explain? Thank you for your attention! :)

Last edited:
Sure, lets take a look. Note some of this response will be a little complicated, take your time.

Note: Sound Unbound (provided version) will run on any device on your system, as will the retail version (account license). It can only activate in stereo mode, not multichannel mode.
If you try to enable Sound Unbound spatial (which is for stereo only), it's correct that the device will spit it out when it's configured to work in multichannel mode.

1: Normal, If the device (Oculus Rift Headset) is USB Ultra may not work, as this version of DTS:X Ultra is designed to run on HDA devices. It's possible to convert it to HDA though.
2: Normal, you did not need to use 'DTS Settings' though, the driver will already setup SPDIF with all the correct data for DTS, I only do it because of Windows channel config.
3: Normal, I don't think the provided version contains a DTS:X HT for HDMI license, HDMI is not normally a supported form factor, so for stereo you need to switch devices.
4: I am not sure about the Logitech, the multichannel side sounds correct (use Multichannel.reg), else it might be confused when in stereo mode, its a 7.1 headset it seems.

Multichannel mode in the DTS:X Ultra app will show "DTS:X ultra is active automatically set to multichannel audio", without a supported form factor (Speakers-Headphones).
Side note, (Oculus Rift Headset - USB), when you open the app, minimise it, then show it, it should say 'Music' with yellow border, though you cannot change modes.
You can also use 'Multichannel [Interactive].reg' on the AVR since it supports DTS Audio. The same as what you are doing with SPDIF, optional.
With HDMI you might need to use 'Stereo.reg' to get DTS:X HT to work, you may also need to remove APO's, I am not 100% sure.

If I missed anything let me know.

====

Update: DTS DCH 6.0.9601.1 (Signed). See post 1. After the restart open 'Device Manager', show hidden, then go through and delete ghosts, then restart again.

This is old but I still use it to remove hidden left overs, hidden entries: Device Remover (show hidden-detached devices).

Last edited:
After install check list:

Remove all ghosts (as above), 'Audio inputs and outputs', 'Software components', 'Sound, video and game controllers'. Edit-run 'Clean Listen.reg' from 'DTS Settings' (might just be SPDIF).
In some cases, open 'Services', double click and set 'Windows Audio Endpoint Builder' and 'Windows Audio' to disable, restart, put back to automatic, restart.

There is also a small chance that one or more of the above (before cleaned) can upset DTS, to reset DTS see here, then restart.

====

Clean Install, with Equalizer APO:

Unconfigure Equalizer APO, but do not restart.

Uninstall, tick 'Delete Driver' (+ pnputil), Install New Driver (as per normal) > Disable Windows Audio Services (see above) > Restart.
Clean Out Ghost Devices (see above) > EAPO Configure.reg > Enable Windows Audio Services > Restart.
Disable All Endpoints > Clean Listen.reg > DTS Settings * > EAPO Setup > Restart.
Enable Recording (Mic 1st) then Playback ** > Restart.

* Removes Realtek SFX Data, Before Replacing It.
** Run Clean Listen.reg, again.

Microsoft hoops to jump through.....

Attachments

• Show Hidden.png
    Show Hidden.png
    5.8 MB · Views: 46
  • No Ghosts.png
    No Ghosts.png
    5.8 MB · Views: 46
Last edited:
Here are a few posts some of you using SPDIF and gaming will find helpful. You will need to add EAPO to VAC if you want upmixing.
You can also disable 'Stereo Mix' and use only the VAC one @ 6 channels PCM.

Not to say anything rude about Creative, but how much of this products features and price (in parts) do you think is the sum of the analogue portion of the card?
It has SPDIF-Optical, both in and out, so how much of the total retail price, do you think is for just SPDIF-Optical in and out hardware alone?

Note that (also, not to offend), 384 kHz is a white elephant specification, 48k already represents slightly more than the human hearing range of 20Hz-20kHz.
48 / 2 = 24kHz maximum. Most amplifiers and speaker-headphones will have a rated working range, normally around 20Hz-20kHz.

Bit depth defines the maximum amplitude that can be represented, for 24B that's around 144 dB (over 80 dB starts to do ear damage).

Nyquist Theorem - Sonarworks Blog | Digital Audio Basics: Bit Depth (note DAC's are not as good with dB, soon we will have better PowerDAC's).

Last edited:
@Ferather I am attempting to tune and mess with DTS:X "helios" settings, which from what I can gather from looking at the XML uses the EFX to apply settings. Is this what is being used in multichannel mode? It makes sense as the controls look the same despite the mode being set.
1700485836605.png

Also it looks like the speaker type for each mode is external stereo, is there any other options that can be put here? If there is a "APO4-Multichannel" or similar speaker mode that it would accept would it unlock individual "helios" controls? What about bit streaming DTS:X? Is there a APO4-Bitstream?
1700485701307.png

Another thing that looks naked and possibly important is the chain settings:
1700486106899.png

I assume using the EFX51 is what enables Helios settings, shouldn't this have something in it? Is input="7.1" output="11.1" possible here? Or maybe input="7.1" on MFX output="7.1" then input="7.1" output="11.1" on EFX51 may be needed so it runs through the full processing? Either way this section looks important.

I dug into all this because I did the work to get this working on HDMI and tried to use it with DTS:X it was not optimal, I don't want to just write it off without giving due diligence as it looks like there is something to work with here. There is no education on the topic, so it looks to be up to trial and error.

Speaker Type will always say stereo, Eagle = stereo tech, Helios = multichannel tech. For EFX51 its: "5.1 Surround", "7.1 Surround" or "11.1 Surround".
MFX will only accept stereo, I have tried that in the past. I think it will do something strange if you set it to 5.1 with Eagle tech.

If you look on the left hand side, the preset is setup with all stereo tech on MFX (MFX:Feature), multichannel on EFX51 (EFX:Feature).

So you are trying to add APO4 to a DTS:X output from HDMI? As in DTS:X HT for HDMI?
There is slightly more than SFX-MFX-EFX, there is also the spatial APO.

You should also probably clear-reset DTS (see here) then restart if you are editing the preset, as its normally installed.
You can also change the .bin files, with another preset, simply rename them as the same.

If you remove and replace the provided preset, make sure you pay attention to removed [public="true"] (variable).
Normally APO4 will disable-unlicense if a supported form factor is not detected.

Note that the last two images apply to analogue up to 7.1, thereafter its current SPDIF (15+) and HDMI.

Attachments

• Tech - Stereo & 5.1+.png
    Tech - Stereo & 5.1+.png
    175.6 KB · Views: 41
  • dtsapo64-1.png
    dtsapo64-1.png
    283.4 KB · Views: 36
  • dtsapo64-2.png
    dtsapo64-2.png
    287.2 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
So you are trying to add APO4 to a DTS:X output from HDMI? As in DTS:X HT for HDMI?
No I am using DTS:X HT and would like to be able to enhance it with DTS:X app, if possible. As I said I installed it on my HDMI endpoint, but sound got considerably worse, so I went to investigating.

I see, well I don't think you will accomplish what you want. I am not 100% sure how they have implemented the encoder (DTS-HD + X), but I think its in the spatial APO.
In a normal circumstance and HDMI device will have the Microsoft APO's or ones it came with (not Microsoft), which don't have DTS-HD encoders.

As far as I can tell the spatial APO is before SFX, and therefor before MFX and EFX, so PCM processors wont apply due to passthrough of a compressed format.
The DTS APO4 provided is a PCM processor, PCM in, PCM out. So it wont apply to passthrough-bitstream unless the encoder is last place.

Spatial APO (Encoder) > SFX > Mixer > MFX > EFX.
Spatial APO > SFX > Mixer > MFX > EFX (Encoder).

You are better off using CPU over hardware offload, so leave the offloads (preset), plus a GPU does not have offload.

====

@bottlefedc83, you can use 'DTS Settings' - Multichannel.reg, then set to 7.1 PCM (no DTS:X HT), then you will get DTS APO4 (multichannel).
Sorry no, you cannot set Windows to 11.1 or 'any number' of channels, its still a problem. Regardless of DTS support.

Last edited:
Hey @Ferather lonkg time apart from seeing you over in the AAF thread... Uhm, oiut of pure stupidity of if it's not broken, fiddle with it XD

However, your DTS versions is a tad more complicated to setup and I would love not to do it often or wrong or even lsong my current OS and customisations, but also no biggy.

I need a little spoon feeding and by posting this info, maybe I don't because it wouldn't matter :)

ASUS TUF Gaming FX505DU

HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0235&SUBSYS_104318F1&REV_1000
HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0235&SUBSYS_104318F1

If no spoons available, what would you advise or point me to generally direction?

Thanks for your time. (mostly gaming, youtube, podcasts and music - you know all those sound things except movies and series - any recommendations?)

You can install it as normal, the way you normally would. Nothing will break xD (as long as old drivers .inf are removed).

The only reason I add extra steps is due to Microsoft who decided they want to nerf everyone's audio.
I personally don't want MS nerfing my audio, so I take extra steps I shouldn't need to take.

Since you have a TUF, you may need the alternative install from the installer. My Father did, but you may not.

Best audio is bitperfect, Windows will not give you bitperfect without changes (not driver).

====

Uninstall, See Post 1 (+ pnputil), Install New Driver (as per normal) > Disable Windows Audio Services (see here *) > Restart.
Clean Out Ghost Devices (see below) > EAPO Configure.reg > Enable Windows Audio Services > Restart.
Disable All Endpoints (Sound Control Panel) > DTS Settings ** > EAPO Setup > Restart.
Enable Recording (Mic 1st) then Playback >
Clean Listen.reg > Restart.

* Windows Audio and Windows Audio Endpoint Builder.
** Removes Realtek SFX Data, Before Replacing It.

Skip the Equalizer APO parts if you're not using it.

Attachments

• Show Hidden.png
    Show Hidden.png
    5.8 MB · Views: 39
  • No Ghosts.png
    No Ghosts.png
    5.8 MB · Views: 39
Last edited:
Post 1 install procedure updated.
Question:
In the picture with your RTK panel, you're showing the default format on optical with 48kHz 24B and 6 speakers.
Mine, optical too, is only showing 48kHz and 16B and no channels mentioned.
Why?
1701260067700.png
1701260123330.png

That was an edit to show what its actually doing, Realtek just displays the PCM stream format used to send DTS.
Compressed formats still use a PCM stream to bitstream the compressed audio data.

-----

48k 16bit 2 channels = 1536 Kbps | DTS Audio (Interactive) is 48k 24bit 6 channels @ 1509 Kbps (compressed).
192k 16bit 8 channels = 24.58 Mbps | DTS-HD MA is 192k 24bit 8 channels @ 24.5 Mbps (max size).

For SPDIF to do DTS-HD MA, DTS:X, Dolby TrueHD, Atmos, it needs an 8 channel transmitter/receiver.
8 channel transmitter/receiver's for SPDIF do exist, and current consumer is 15+.

Both SPDIF and HDMI are limited in bandwidth based on HDA (~37 Mbps max, 192k 24b x 8).

Last edited:
You can install it as normal, the way you normally would. Nothing will break xD (as long as old drivers .inf are removed).

The only reason I add extra steps is due to Microsoft who decided they want to nerf everyone's audio.
I personally don't want MS nerfing my audio, so I take extra steps I shouldn't need to take.

Since you have a TUF, you may need the alternative install from the installer. My Father did, but you may not.

Best audio is bitperfect, Windows will not give you bitperfect without changes (not driver).

====

Uninstall, See Post 1 (+ pnputil), Install New Driver (as per normal) > Disable Windows Audio Services (see here *) > Restart.
Clean Out Ghost Devices (see below) > EAPO Configure.reg > Enable Windows Audio Services > Restart.
Disable All Endpoints (Sound Control Panel) > DTS Settings ** > EAPO Setup > Restart.
Enable Recording (Mic 1st) then Playback >
Clean Listen.reg > Restart.

* Windows Audio and Windows Audio Endpoint Builder.
** Removes Realtek SFX Data, Before Replacing It.

Skip the Equalizer APO parts if you're not using it.

I will totally get back to this later... Hi, thanks for reply and sorry back late, it has not gone unsung. I've just been trying to be normal and do work... Also on time. And getting back to this later, since have sound and trying to be normal and catch my online multi-players while online and working sound XD

Foot note spoon question: not sure if I've asked, maybe somewhere else... But is there any point of running my 2.1 speakers throught LG screen after HDMI and or any point NOT too? For the sake of convenience. Realtek and DTS Ultra seems to work, only because some music or sounds from a video the other day quite surprised me after realised it was from the speakers, my computer... I have 3.5 splitter, proving pointless, so using only my headphone in laptop jack and just running speakers from display, since W11 can now effectively switch from action area...

I was also pleasantly surprised the first time I heard DTS:X on Realtek. As far as the LG and HDMI question, well I am not sure.
I guess it depends what DAC is better, the one with the LG or your Realtek one, since you speak of analogue.

----

If you are like me and are using SPDIF only, no analogue. If the sound sort of drops a little a day or two after installing, turn off your monitor wait a few seconds then turn it back on, restart computer.
This will cause DTS to re-configure, which is a little hard to explain. Normally DTS APO4 will run only on analogue endpoints, and is locked to device and endpoint.

In addition DTS will normally initialize the APO keys each time audio is played, where a constant 'Stereo Mix' from startup means it initializes only once.
None of this is an issue, and doing the above is only needed one time, so far everything has stuck as it should have.

Also just so you know, APO's are PCM processors, they don't have a form factor restriction (only if coded by the APO author). An example is Equalizer APO, on any endpoint.

Adding form factor restrictions on a PCM processor, where all endpoints are handling PCM, is a bit of a joke!

Analogue: SFX (PCM) > MFX (PCM) > EFX (PCM) |> DAC > Analogue out.
SPDIF: SFX (PCM) > MFX (PCM) > EFX (PCM) | --TOSLink-- > DAC/Other.

Future: SFX (PCM) > MFX (PCM) > EFX (PCM) |> PowerDAC (no amps).

TAS5558 | Buy TI Parts | TI.com

Last edited: