• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

How to quickly & easily fix coil-whine(coil choke noise)

ad1

The same story for me, just received 4090FE, which was lost and found (bought in May) and now it is most loud part of my system, all system watercooled, noticed that then higher FPS - more loud, even on 166FPS (I locked, because have 165Ghz monitor) I hear this weird sound.
Thought maybe need to change PSU...

But if PSU could also be the reason of sound - how do I know which PSU I have to buy as replacement?
I have Super Flower Leadex III 850W Gold
I don't think buying a PSU with the hope of fixing 4090 coil whine is a good idea. I've tested mine with 3 different PSUs, also with a separate PSU just for the GPU, and coil whine was exactly the same in all cases. If the whine actually comes from the PSU, then it would help, but if it's coming from the GPU, I think it's unlikely that the GPU will generate less whine with a different PSU.

Your PSU is an A-tier high quality unit. The only reason to change it is if you think you don't have enough power, which probably depends on what CPU you're running in combination with that 4090.

d31ma

I don't think buying a PSU with the hope of fixing 4090 coil whine is a good idea. I've tested mine with 3 different PSUs, also with a separate PSU just for the GPU, and coil whine was exactly the same in all cases. If the whine actually comes from the PSU, then it would help, but if it's coming from the GPU, I think it's unlikely that the GPU will generate less whine with a different PSU.

Your PSU is an A-tier high quality unit. The only reason to change it is if you think you don't have enough power, which probably depends on what CPU you're running in combination with that 4090.
Thank you, I am pretty happy with this PSU especially when I bought it in 2021 for 100$ from newegg and changed fan https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/...adex-iii-850w-fan-change.313050/#post-5091173 in heavy load my system produces 550-600W (12600KF+4090), maybe will change cpu to 14700 (non-K).
So, probably I will ignore this annoying sound from GPU, because have no mood for disassamble all water loop.

So i just got my Sapphire RX 7900 XTX Nitro+, and it has coil whine. What i have tried so far:
- Reduce FPS / Enable v-sync (60HZ) works in most (older) games.
- Reduce FPS /enable V-sync does NOT work on Starfield and Star Citizen. (I dont own any other "new" games since my old computer is from 2014 and i got a PS5 during the GPU inflation)
- OC and Silent Bios are identical in terms of noise.
- High FPS menues are very noisy unless v-sync is on.
- Completley silent at desktop or in some game menues (like starfield)

- Running a FSP Hydro Ti Pro 1000W PSU that i bought with the card, based on being one of the best tested PSUs.

Things i am considering:
- Trying a different PSU (got a 600W seasonic titanium and a 850W Corsair Gold)
- Downvolt and/or downclock,

Pulling a apart a $1400 brand new card (local prices are higher than US) to glue is a risky thing in terms of warranty.
I still have 1 week left of my 2 week open return period.

But i am afraid any new card is just as bad or even worse.
What would you recommend that i do? Play the silicon lottery or just buy some glue?

Sorry for the late response. TPU had some glitchiness going on for a short while.

But i am afraid any new card is just as bad or even worse.
That's a real problem.
What would you recommend that i do? Play the silicon lottery or just buy some glue?
That depends on how bad the noise is. If it's something you can live with, then take a chance gluing it. SuperGlue will not hurt the electronics, so as long as you're careful with disassembly, application of the glue & reassembly, you won't hurt anything and have nothing to lose.

If it isn't something you can live with, send it back and try a new one.

I ended up not RMA-ing it. Setting the framerates at a reasonable level, and putting the case in my desk where it is supposed to live, the noise is not an issue any more.
I also (to my surprise) noticed that my current card (1060Ti) also has coil whine that i have not noticed before, and the levels are comparable on regular framerates. The fact that the card never have been able to generate more than 60fps in any game may have something to do with me not noticing it x)

I will order some of that badass wicking superglue when i add watercooling to my setup, and see if that improve anything. Also, radiators in all the "mesh" openings also help reduce the sound escaping my case. Thats also a reason my current card have appeared silent.

But in any case, thanks for the replies and thanks for this awesome and informative thread.

Fireball1710

I have no idea what I’m doing, I have a 2080ti strix, is it possible to superglue it or or the chokes to small?

This is how bad the whine is
IMG_3290.jpeg

Would this kind of glue work?
image.jpg

Last edited:
I have no idea what I’m doing, I have a 2080ti strix, is it possible to superglue it or or the chokes to small?

This is how bad the whine is
Yeah, that would be irritating!

Would this kind of glue work?
image.jpg
Yup, that stuff will work. However, I would recommend a new, fresh tube. This will ensure that application of the glue will be smooth and easy. As has been said in the thread previously, take your time and be extra careful.

Fireball1710

Yeah, that would be irritating!

Yup, that stuff will work. However, I would recommend a new, fresh tube. This will ensure that application of the glue will be smooth and easy. As has been said in the thread previously, take your time and be extra careful.
Thanks man really appreciate it, I was wondering if the glue would be able to get into the coils as it seems the chokes are really close to the board

and I’m definitely getting a new tube that’s just what I had on hand

and just to be sure, I need to an after after applying get it whining as much as possible?

Thanks man really appreciate it, I was wondering if the glue would be able to get into the coils as it seems the chokes are really close to the board
Yuppers. Liquid Superglue will wick right into the gaps between the choke housing and the PCB creating and air-tight seal once cured.
and I’m definitely getting a new tube that’s just what I had on hand
Get a two pack, just in case you need it.
and just to be sure, I need to an after after applying get it whining as much as possible?
After you've finish applying the glue and is has cured, put your card back together and run anything that was previously making the card produce noise. You'll know almost instantly if you card responded well. to the treatment.

Fireball1710

Yuppers. Liquid Superglue will wick right into the gaps between the choke housing and the PCB creating and air-tight seal once cured.

Get a two pack, just in case you need it.

After you've finish applying the glue and is has cured, put your card back together and run anything that was previously making the card produce noise. You'll know almost instantly if you card responded well. to the treatment.
Alright, the superglue comes in a 2 pack lucky for me, and roughly how long to cure?

also il try make a video of the process to help other people

Aerofox81

My Asrock 6900XT OC formula started making quite loud coil whine/hiss under medium and heavy load. Time for the superglue trick.
After very intensive listening i'm 99% certain it comes from the power entry area. So big chance the three big chokes are the culprit (in the red circle)
Since I got it openen now anyway, which should I do as well, I assume the ones in the green circles, any other ones recommended?

rx.jpg

My Asrock 6900XT OC formula started making quite loud coil whine/hiss under medium and heavy load. Time for the superglue trick.
After very intensive listening i'm 99% certain it comes from the power entry area. So big chance the three big chokes are the culprit (in the red circle)
Since I got it openen now anyway, which should I do as well, I assume the ones in the green circles, any other ones recommended?

View attachment 315932
You missed a few;
rx01.jpg

smilegator

Hey guys!

i just registered because of this thread, my gf and i got two very loud GPUs.
An EVGA 1660 Super and an ASUS ROG 1660 Super. The EVGA screeches like hell, so i took both of them apart.

I used Loctite 401 because i found the datasheet for it and it stated great thermal resistance and just perfect viscosity.
Also i got a 2ml syringe with 23G needle (or any size that is small enough that it fits between inductors and doesn’t let all of the glue out in one push) and this is the best tip for anyone who is afraid of glueing the whole board and for those who want great application and wicking effect.
I needed one needle per card because it dried fast and clogged up.

I used two layers, couple hours from each other.

I’ll post updates tomorrow about how they performs and thanks for all the tips!

smilegator

Update: i waited for 20 hours after i applied the second round (pictures below, also i attached the whole cards as well if anyone needs them (smaller is the EVGA)).
The sound is noticeably lower, but still hurts my ears. I found out that the two 1800MHz cards goes above 1950MHz in COD MW II and that is the root cause of the coil whine.
I turned off Nvidia Reflex and this gave me a solid drop in clock speeds, but in intense scenes, it still goes above the limit somehow. In ither games they almost became silent :)
They both run on quiet, not power mode and never been overclocked.
Also i was shocked by the enormous thickness of thermal pads on the EVGA card. (more than half an inch on the memory modules, it was fried to blue underneath, while the ASUS without pads seems new)

TL;DR: the coil whine is still there in COD MW II, but lower. Turning off Nvidia Reflex helps a bit.
In anything else, it almost completely silent, so i’m somewhat happy.

Also big tip: the front of the cards got white because of the fume deposits i think, but this is removable with a tissue and some isopropyl alcohol. Also use needles with syringes (23G or smaller) if you want solid application in tight spaces. I used Loctite 401.

Attachments

• IMG_9626.jpeg
    IMG_9626.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 198
  • IMG_9631.jpeg
    IMG_9631.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 161
  • IMG_9625.jpeg
    IMG_9625.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 163
  • IMG_9624.jpeg
    IMG_9624.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 160
  • IMG_9630.jpeg
    IMG_9630.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 179
  • IMG_9628.jpeg
    IMG_9628.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 188

smilegator

Hey!

I just wanted to say that i further reduced the EVGA’s coil whine by flashing a downclocked VBIOS to it.
The boost clock is now 1780MHz if i remember correctly from the previous 1840MHz and it helps a bit too.
I used NVFlash to do it.

Hey!

I just wanted to say that i further reduced the EVGA’s coil whine by flashing a downclocked VBIOS to it.
The boost clock is now 1780MHz if i remember correctly from the previous 1840MHz and it helps a bit too.
I used NVFlash to do it.
That shouldn't be too much of a loss of performance. Are you still happy with your framerates?

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
Motherboard ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming ITX/ax
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420 rev.5 + Conductonaut
Memory 2x16GiB G.SKILL TridentZ DDR4-3200 CL14
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 6900XT TOXIC Limited Edition
Storage Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB, addlink S70 1TB
Audio Device(s) Creative SoundBlasterX G5
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 850W
So i performed this on my 6900XT Toxic, roughly 3 weeks ago, using Loctite 406.
At first i cleaned the all the inductors and their surroundings with a toothbrush and isopropyl and let it dry.
Started gluing under minor rails to get a grip (key takeaway: the nozle of 20g bottle is way too big, so dont turn it upside down before its already pointed where you want to apply), then input filtering and finally the output inductors of the main VRM. Only single application/layer. (unforturnately i havent made photos)

Coil whine reduced both noticeably and measurably, but not completely gone. (I guess ferrites around 8pins are going to next step)
For testing i decided to use 1080p Furmark locked to 360fps, as this appeared to be both most annoying, cotent, reproducible and at the same time not galaxies away from real use (like loading screen at few thousand FPS). Fan speeds were locked at 25%. Recorded with Nokia 5.3 (unfortunately its fairly low bitrate AAC, so much for a "lossless" preset inside the recording app :roll:), placed at outer edge of PSU, side panel open (Fractal Define S).

Onto results from Audition:

Before
Noise:
Peak Amplitude: -50.22 dB
Perceived Loudness (Legacy): -60.63 dB
Whine:
Peak Amplitude: -45.06 dB
Perceived Loudness (Legacy): -55.67 dB

After
Noise:
Peak Amplitude: -48.65 dB
Perceived Loudness (Legacy): -60.54 dB
Whine:
Peak Amplitude: -46.50 dB
Perceived Loudness (Legacy): -57.55 dB

And spectrograms (used noise reduction modeled from the background noise and subsequent +6dB gain applied for visual clarity, calculated values abve done before making those changes)
Before
stock_furmark_1080p_360hz_mpt_fan25.png

After
loctite_furmark_1080p_360hz_mpt_fan25.png

Recordings attached as well, since there is only so much that numbers and pictures can tell you about the sound.

Attachments

• audio.zip
    766.8 KB · Views: 34
Yes, i'm more than happy, i lost only like 1-2fps average. (keep in mind that i play only in 1080p 60hz)

Smart decision that's good trade off if the coil wine is stubborn. Dropping clock speeds can really lower coil wine a great deal in some cases. It doesn't hurt that it'll also operate a bit cooler and lower power some as well. Makes a lot of sense to consider that in you're scenario. I've defiantly down-clocked chip performance ever so slightly in a few instances to alleviate some minor coil wine. It's also worth noting both the core clock frequency and memory frequency can aggravate coil whine differently so you might be able to slightly offset some of the reduction in one area to slight bump to the other of course that only works with bios cross flashing or on bios which can be modded and flashed to the device itself.