• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Ratings system needs to be improved

Would you support introduction of negative ratings?

• Yes

Votes: 20 25.3%
  • No

Votes: 40 50.6%
  • I don't care

Votes: 19 24.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I almost never click on the angry red face because it's poorly defined. Does it say "I agree and that makes me angry" or "I don't agree and you make me angry"? Same with sad or ha-ha.
Technically the angry face means you like the post, since it is an option under the like button

Processor i5-6600K
Motherboard Asus Z170A
Cooling some cheap Cooler Master Hyper 103 or similar
Memory 16GB DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) IGP
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250GB
Display(s) 2x Oldell 24" 1920x1200
Case Bitfenix Nova white windowless non-mesh
Audio Device(s) E-mu 1212m PCI
Power Supply Seasonic G-360
Mouse Logitech Marble trackball, never had a mouse
Keyboard Key Tronic KT2000, no Win key because 1994
Software Oldwin
Technically the angry face means you like the post, since it is an option under the like button
Then it can also mean "I like to be angry, and you just made my day".

D

Deleted member 57642

Those smilies are a bloody stone cold classic, some of the last remnants of the Old Internet. I don’t think they should be removed or updated, the TPU is fairly refreshingly old-school in how it works and runs.

Wasn't suggesting their removal - more like an update - which includes modern Emojis as well. If you check the entire list - there's just one static smiley in there from the newer models (2010+ version) - which looks kinda lost in there on its own, as in... o_O

After all, the forum interface is rather modern (XenForo 2010 - 2020). Even comes with a .Gif search/add function - which for a single line/response is far more expressive than an emoji, as in...

disagree - if you simply disagree, perhaps without negative connotations
Disagree No Way GIF by VH1

stupid - if you think the poster posts dumb trash/misinformation
Comedy Wow GIF by Bounce

shit - essentially for everything else, i.e. an opinion that perhaps is not stupid, but extremely edgy, cringe or
otherwise repulsive, or a picture of one's amazing build that looks like thousands of other.
ideas poo GIF

I've thought for a long time there should either be a face palm or smh reaction emoji.
Humour Facepalm GIF

System Name Purple Haze | Vacuum Box
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D (-30 CO) | Intel® Xeon® E3-1241 v3
Motherboard MSI B450 Tomahawk Max | Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD5H
Cooling Dark Rock 4 Pro, Arctic P14 & P12 case fans | 212 Evo & P12 PWM PST x2, Arctic P14 & P12 case fans
Memory 32GB Ballistix (Micron E 19nm) CL16 @3733MHz | 32GB HyperX Beast 2400MHz (XMP)
Video Card(s) AMD 6900XTXH ASRock OC Formula & Phanteks T30x3 | AMD 5700XT Sapphire Nitro+ & Arctic P12x2
Storage ADATA SX8200 Pro 1TB, Toshiba P300 3TB x2 | Kingston A400 120GB, Fanxiang S500 Pro 256GB
Display(s) Mi 2K Gaming Monitor 27", AOC 24G2U
Case Modded MS Industrial Titan II Pro RGB | Heavily Modded Cooler Master Q500L
Audio Device(s) Audient iD14 MKII, Adam Audio T8Vs, Bloody M550, HiFiMan HE400se, Tascam TM-80
Power Supply Rosewill Capstone 1000M | Enermax Revolution X't 730W (both with P14 fans)
Mouse Logitech G305, Bloody A91, Amazon basics, Logitech M187
Keyboard Redragon K530, Bloody B930, Epomaker TH80 SE, BTC 9110
Software W10 LTSC 21H2
Wasn't suggesting their removal - more like an update - which includes modern Emojis as well. If you check the entire list - there's just one static smiley in there from the newer models (2010+ version) - which looks kinda lost in there on its own, as in... o_O

After all, the forum interface is rather modern (XenForo 2010 - 2020). Even comes with a .Gif search/add function - which for a single line/response is far more expressive than an emoji, as in...

disagree - if you simply disagree, perhaps without negative connotations
Disagree No Way GIF by VH1

stupid - if you think the poster posts dumb trash/misinformation
Comedy Wow GIF by Bounce

shit - essentially for everything else, i.e. an opinion that perhaps is not stupid, but extremely edgy, cringe or
otherwise repulsive, or a picture of one's amazing build that looks like thousands of other.
ideas poo GIF

I've thought for a long time there should either be a face palm or smh reaction emoji.
Humour Facepalm GIF
A few of my favourites:

I need a drink (made this myself)
67dz39.gif

Confused
Gollum-Confused.gif

Don't
BmUtzWp.gif

Good
jeremiah.gif

You make it simple
math_grande.gif

Tell me about it
proxy.duckduckgo.com.gif

System Name DevKit
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600 ↗4.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus WiFi
Cooling Koolance CPU-300-H06, Koolance GPU-180-L06, SC800 Pump
Memory 4x16GB Ballistix 3200MT/s ↗3600
Video Card(s) PowerColor RX 580 Red Devil 8GB ↗1380MHz ↘1105mV, PowerColor RX 7900 XT Hellhound 20GB
Storage 240GB Corsair MP510, 120GB KingDian S280
Display(s) Nixeus VUE-24 (1080p144)
Case Koolance PC2-601BLW + Koolance EHX1020CUV Radiator Kit
Audio Device(s) Oculus CV-1
Power Supply Antec Earthwatts EA-750 Semi-Modular
Mouse Easterntimes Tech X-08, Zelotes C-12
Keyboard Logitech 106-key, Romoral 15-Key Macro, Royal Kludge RK84
VR HMD Oculus CV-1
Software Windows 10 Pro Workstation, VMware Workstation 16 Pro, MS SQL Server 2016, Fan Control v120, Blender
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R15: 1590cb Cinebench R20: 3530cb (7.83x451cb) CPU-Z 17.01.64: 481.2/3896.8 VRMark: 8009
It lacks negative responses. What if a poster posts garbage? His opinions are dumb? His information is completely incorrect?
Then ignore and move on. In an era where doomscrolling has put us in perma-ADHD mode is it that hard to click?
I've put one guy on ignore since yesterday. Problem solved.
Many people are childish. Others are impatient. I'd predict an overuse of negative emoji's. I'd also predict a lot of reports from people upset about getting 'poo'ed on.
Yes. ✓ Welcome to the Internets.
that would be a moderator's job isnt it? to stomp out the trolling posts
There is a difference between doing a moderator's job and just piling on more work for moderators all because someone got the jaggies coming here to get their ADHD fix. It's bad business.
You'd end up with "low quality" post equivalents for factual statements that made someone upset.
There used to be lots of this in other places that didn't have these post reacts. This is the first forum where I've seen any of them though. Reminds me of Discord spam. Tons of social media things have react systems with Like/いいね and that used to be the norm. Digg, Faceberg, Scamtube and a whole other universe of garbage started with Like buttons and cement their cringe placement in this world with a tier list of :):love::laugh::eek::mad::( emotes, often in some order that resembles that by at least 50%.

Some site managers have observed this event and learned from the problems that it causes. LinkedIn doesn't have negative reacts or anything hostile that would make HR screech to the moon. Insta and Void have the :love: react and that's all. Don't ask me about LUE, TumBlog or twitter. Those places are examples of failure when you don't gatekeep the cancer or containing the cancer is the entire purpose of the site and just like Leddit protestors, the moment containment breach starts, they start invading other parts of the Internet where they clearly do NOT belong. We do not vibe with their systems or else we would be there.

I personally don't care for any of it. The only thing that probably deserves a change for the sake of English is changing the Like link into React. That's it. That's the only issue.
Anything more kicks off the transformation of turning this nice quiet Internet hidey hole into another tech junk food social media disaster like LTT. We have enough bots.
If it were up to me I would change all the react emotes into rabbits and let all the terminally online autists struggle to figure out if that context is good or bad.

Ya'll think too much.

System Name Holiday Season Budget Computer (HSBC)
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7700X
Motherboard MSi PRO B650M-A WiFi
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory 2x 16 GB Corsair Vengeance EXPO DDR5-6000
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 6500 XT 4 GB
Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 4 + 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Display(s) Dell S3422DWG, 7" Waveshare touchscreen
Case Kolink Citadel Mesh black
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z333 2.1 speakers, AKG Y50 headphones
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-750
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech G413 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro
Hi man!

Seen a lot of you for a year I was lurking around this forum. Said positively: definitely like you.

I also want to thank you for replying, and taking consideration, although I wouldn't expect any less.

I do have something to reply. In fact, I did all along.

Emotions cannot be dictated by rationales. They are there. Of course, you can easily stop yourself and think otherwise, but if that was what most people do, then Emojis wouldn't exist, nevertheless the social contract binding them within circumstances.

But of course I agree with you: what's there to be emotional ABOUT? And I agree with your downright solutions where emotions would pose you a problem. But do they?

Before you'd even think of doing that or doing nothing at all about it, you might feel frustration, or anger. Then rationalize it. And when you do, all the power to you. I've seen indeed you being quite regular in your replies even through the most heated discussions. But still you do feel them before you act. That's what Emojis basically elicit. And once we have some of them, we use them before we even think much in most settings. Hence why I think TPU has the good solution for its circumstances: nothing overly negative keeps things flowing, and identifies trolling more quickly since if someone really has ungrounded or downright stupid beef with any subject, he'll have no choice but to speak, thus identifying himself. And just as so, someone with correct knowledge and proofs at hand will take the bait to answer to the troll.

I agree with you on that. And I don't think it's easy to make this point here, so I'll work this down up.

Let's suppose TPU without any "rating" Emoji. In any negative way these could be going, it wouldn't change anyone's day: either your indifferent to the subject, or the troll response, or either you FEEL something. It isn't true that we'll put someone to question because we don't feel anything at all about it. If we don't, then we don't CARE. And if we don't CARE then we don't answer to the feeling because there was none. BTW, before you tell me I don't feel anything when I answer a question/step in argument to help someone/the community, wrong again. As I just said, if you didn't CARE, you wouldn't help someone. The feeling doesn't need to be negative - often times it's the desire to help or to make things/info right. If we really go into it, it's often strongly mixed with the pride to know better, and/or the love for the subject itself. But hey, let's not go there. Let's just say there is a swelling that makes us care to give an answer. In that sense, if TPU didn't have "rating" Emojis it would be a bit dry since then we couldn't easily "Like" anytime someone has already done that or expanded the subject further. We wouldn't have "Love" when we really connect with something that has been said, or that it seems just the thing that needed to be said in an argument, or that it brings in something unexpected and right to a subject. We couldn't even "Laugh" the funniest joke that made our day. All these things my friend are feelings, and you'll click those "rating" Emojis without even thinking twice.... unless you need to do. And then yes, decide you'd rather not click anything but answer. It may still be positive, but often times, somethings goes against your grain there. And for many people, if you leave negative Emojis to react, they'll use them. But as we don't, we need to answer. Same when YOU don't want to let emotions dictate your response, especially negative but even at times positive - you'll indeed avoid them reactions shortcuts and go straight at "the beef".

And well if you deny that, I cannot argument anything else. I'll concede to the fact I won't win any heart against any good and contributive member of a tech Forum I just joined on stuff like feeling and psychology.

But after I do post this answer, I'll go and "react" to your post.
A well constructed reply - thanks for taking the time. :)

You are right about one thing: IT is our hobby, or work, or both, so of course we care. I'm not saying that we shouldn't. Care manifests itself in many ways. In you replying to my post, in me replying to yours, in us reading articles and forming our opinions on the subject matter, in helping others in need, etc. That's all very nice. Liking posts that we agree with is also nice, as it makes the forum a lot less cluttered with single-word replies, and easier for others to see which is the more popular side in a discussion.

It is NOT the same thing as a negative emoji, though. If you agree with my post, give it a like, and we'll move on. If you don't like it, though, you have two options: you can ignore it and carry on, or you can comment on it. Expressing instinctual, animalistic, instant negative emotions about something doesn't make me better informed about your point of view, and will definitely not change my mind about anything. Based on your elaborate response, I am 100% sure that you are not a child, and your words and actions have some sort of rationale behind them. If you think I'm wrong about something, you're not only free to express your disagreement, but I also ask you to, as learning from it (or at least about it) makes my perspective broader as well. If someone IS a child, though, and all they can do is express negative emotion by clicking on an angry face, then I'm not interested in that person's mindset, and I don't think that the majority of our fellow forum members are, either. I'm not here to react to others reacting to me. That's what animals do. I'm here to learn and share.

TLDR: We are here for educated discussions, and not to throw mindless emotions at each other. This latter course of action doesn't do anybody any good.

System Name Ghetto Rigs z490|x99|Acer 17 Nitro 7840hs/ 5600c40-2x16/ 4060/ 1tb acer stock m.2/ 4tb sn850x
Processor 10900k w/Optimus Foundation | 5930k w/Black Noctua D15
Motherboard z490 Maximus XII Apex | x99 Sabertooth
Cooling oCool D5 res-combo/280 GTX/ Optimus Foundation/ gpu water block | Blk D15
Memory Trident-Z Royal 4000c16 2x16gb | Trident-Z 3200c14 4x8gb
Video Card(s) Titan Xp-water | evga 980ti gaming-w/ air
Storage 970evo+500gb & sn850x 4tb | 860 pro 256gb | Acer m.2 1tb/ sn850x 4tb| Many2.5" sata's ssd 3.5hdd's
Display(s) 1-AOC G2460PG 24"G-Sync 144Hz/ 2nd 1-ASUS VG248QE 24"/ 3rd LG 43" series
Case D450 | Cherry Entertainment center on Test bench
Audio Device(s) Built in Realtek x2 with 2-Insignia 2.0 sound bars & 1-LG sound bar
Power Supply EVGA 1000P2 with APC AX1500 | 850P2 with CyberPower-GX1325U
Mouse Redragon 901 Perdition x3
Keyboard G710+x3
Software Win-7 pro x3 and win-10 & 11pro x3
Benchmark Scores Are in the benchmark section
Hi,
Well you know a site is overboard when insert gif is on it
I'd say it's more abused than any reaction emoji :laugh:

Do not want to see any additional changes. This is one of the charming features that the forum has. The majority of people are pretty civil here. I don't want this forum to remind me of the many uncivilized forums that are available to those...

Underground
Dojo
Keyboard
Cage Fighters

System Name Main / HTPC / Server
Processor i5 14600K / Ryzen 5 2400G / i7 7700K
Motherboard Z790 PRO RS / B450M Mortar / Z270 IX Code
Cooling AS500 PLUS WH / Wraith Stealth / NH-D15
Memory 32GB 6000 C30 / 8GB 2666 C16 / 32GB 3000 C15
Video Card(s) GTX 780 (temporary) / iGPU / iGPU
Storage (OS) 1600X 118GB / V200 120GB / 850 EVO 250GB
Display(s) Predator XB271HU / KDL-55W950B / VH238H
Case Eclipse P400S / LC13-BU / Define R5
Audio Device(s) Xonar U7 (HD 598) / Xfi Titanium (Azur 851A)
Power Supply Prime Titanium 750W / M12II EVO 620W / AXi 860W
A well constructed reply - thanks for taking the time. :)

You are right about one thing: IT is our hobby, or work, or both, so of course we care. I'm not saying that we shouldn't. Care manifests itself in many ways. In you replying to my post, in me replying to yours, in us reading articles and forming our opinions on the subject matter, in helping others in need, etc. That's all very nice. Liking posts that we agree with is also nice, as it makes the forum a lot less cluttered with single-word replies, and easier for others to see which is the more popular side in a discussion.

It is NOT the same thing as a negative emoji, though. If you agree with my post, give it a like, and we'll move on. If you don't like it, though, you have two options: you can ignore it and carry on, or you can comment on it. Expressing instinctual, animalistic, instant negative emotions about something doesn't make me better informed about your point of view, and will definitely not change my mind about anything. Based on your elaborate response, I am 100% sure that you are not a child, and your words and actions have some sort of rationale behind them. If you think I'm wrong about something, you're not only free to express your disagreement, but I also ask you to, as learning from it (or at least about it) makes my perspective broader as well. If someone IS a child, though, and all they can do is express negative emotion by clicking on an angry face, then I'm not interested in that person's mindset, and I don't think that the majority of our fellow forum members are, either. I'm not here to react to others reacting to me. That's what animals do. I'm here to learn and share.

TLDR: We are here for educated discussions, and not to throw mindless emotions at each other. This latter course of action doesn't do anybody any good.
Well, I never said I wanted negative Emojis. My point which you argued first is that there are feelings behind our motivation to participate at all, and from there, Emojis are meant to be a quick way to share these as well as rate something. I wouldn't like it so much around here if there were negative options strong enough to really throw a post down.

Having one to express doubt and a need to intellectually evaluate what has been said there carefully wouldn't go amiss though. But if it is needed is another question entirely. I agreed with you that the actual system forces an intelligible response to be formed, and then inevitably, we know what we're facing when someone is going to be negative instead of argumentative.

Recently I went through the whole 18 pages of the "24GB vRAM really needed" thread... the explanations had been given... by a lot of folks... but it kept going on and on, so soon some reverted to laughing out the additional, by then very impolite, posts by the "troll". But let's suppose someone peruses that thread looking for some clue, without reading the whole of it. Without being negative, an emoji expressing that there's something not factual about what's said would help. If a post gathers like 12 reactions from various folks all expressing those concerns without wanting to push the discussion that has already been pushed far enough, could help someone passing by realize that the post, even if it seems articulated into facts, needs to be assessed.

The only thing I ever said from there is that I like this one...

1708463394834.png

Does it need to be there, well I'll defer on you for that more than myself, since I have very little experience participating into discussions around here.

So I am not suggesting it. Just like it, as explained first, because it shows severity and calls for scrutiny, but it is not overly negative or aggressive. I think it stays very cool, with just that hint of self-derisiveness to not make things worst. But it does bring something better than "laughing" or "wowing": it openly express we'd like this member to recheck his facts/look at what has been said and proved, or just stop with the nonsensical debate with no grounds.

Thanks! :toast:

A few of my favourites:

I need a drink (made this myself)
View attachment 335524

Confused
View attachment 335526

Don't
View attachment 335525

Good
View attachment 335527

You make it simple
View attachment 335528

Tell me about it
View attachment 335529
It's perfect! :roll:

wolf

Performance Enthusiast
System Name MightyX
Processor Ryzen 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro WiFi
Cooling Scythe Fuma 2
Memory 32GB DDR4 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Asus TUF RTX3080 Deshrouded
Storage WD Black SN850X 2TB
Display(s) LG 42C2 4K OLED
Case Coolermaster NR200P
Audio Device(s) LG SN5Y / Focal Clear
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Corsair Dark Core RBG Pro SE
Keyboard Glorious GMMK Compact w/pudding
VR HMD Meta Quest 3
Software case populated with Artic P12's
Benchmark Scores 4k120 OLED Gsync bliss
Otherwise the forum would just become herd mentality, with no need to justify statements. Some newb could come into a thread, see potentially true information having negative votes, and just go with whatever group think is popular. Better for them to be presented with information they can weigh and consider
From where I'm sitting the laugh react is usually the one used as a negative emoji anyway, where the use is to show disapproval/find it laughable of whatever the person has said, and sometimes that shoe does seem to fit. Some people just aren't worth arguing with, hey sometimes that might even be me to other people, I don't really care, but that's how I see the laugh react being deployed. might be 1 in 10 I see used for posts actually making an effort to be humorous. Perhaps an eyeroll emoji would be fitting, but it would indeed be used the way many people in this discussion have said and it likely won't help the discussion, when people spew bs or a 'bad take', you just need to tell them why/how etc it's bs or bad and then let that all stand as a record for all to see that the subject is divisive, or there are other schools of thought, and not just one bafoon with 30 reacts being 'correct'. Lord knows I've gotten into a few of those when I've found information to be incorrect, unqualified, illogical etc.

Last edited:

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D -30 uv
Motherboard AsRock Steel Legend B650
Cooling MSI C360 AIO
Memory 32gb 6000 CL 30-36-36-76
Video Card(s) MERC310 7900 XT -60 uv
Display(s) NZXT Canvas IPS 1440p 165hz 27"
Case NZXT H710 (Red/Black)
Audio Device(s) HD58X, Asgard 2, Modi 3
Power Supply Corsair RM850W
In the headphone world when that used to be a big hobby of mine, I used to tell people the following:

There is no such thing as a bad headphone amp, it's all about pairing. I found some really unique rare pairings that no one else ever thought of, and the amp and headphone really complimented each other.

I personally believe its best to focus on the positive, be open minded, and most things are so subjective anyway there is no reason to be negative directly. For example, my Logitech 2.1 THX 400w speakers, most say these are mediocre at best, but to me they sound amazing through my modi 3 dac. It is what it is, I like them and that's that.

wolf

Performance Enthusiast
System Name MightyX
Processor Ryzen 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro WiFi
Cooling Scythe Fuma 2
Memory 32GB DDR4 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Asus TUF RTX3080 Deshrouded
Storage WD Black SN850X 2TB
Display(s) LG 42C2 4K OLED
Case Coolermaster NR200P
Audio Device(s) LG SN5Y / Focal Clear
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Corsair Dark Core RBG Pro SE
Keyboard Glorious GMMK Compact w/pudding
VR HMD Meta Quest 3
Software case populated with Artic P12's
Benchmark Scores 4k120 OLED Gsync bliss
It is what it is, I like them and that's that.
I have no issues with people having an opinion, but many could stand to actually phrase them like an opinion rather than like facts, and help that along by giving context, like you just did in your post for DAV/Speaker pairing. When people state opinions as if they're universal facts that apply to all/most etc, it gets murky due to the way they presented the information.

And then you can also get some really average arguments based on opinions and experiences that are say, outdated for example. ie take the age old "AMD Drivers suck" that manages to not die - I'd wager the vast vaaast majority of current AMD users would disagree with that, and that sweeping statement is not exactly useful information for anyone currently using an AMD card is it? yet we still see it stated across the internet as if it's a fact that's current. If that was worded more like, "in 2013 when I last used XYZ AMD card, I had driver issue ABC", that's at least worded like an opinion/experience not a fact, and is more useful in context than spewing negativity because someone feels like it/has an axe to grind/has an agenda/likes to stir crap.

I doubt the introduction of a negative emoji or three would make situations like that any better, get those typing fingers warmed up.

System Name Dirt Sheep | Silent Sheep
Processor i5-2400 | 13900K (-0.025mV offset)
Motherboard Asus P8H67-M LE | Gigabyte AERO Z690-G, bios F26 with "Instant 6 GHz" on
Cooling Scythe Katana Type 1 | Noctua NH-U12A chromax.black
Memory G-skill 2*8GB DDR3 | Corsair Vengeance 4*32GB DDR5 5200Mhz C40 @4000MHz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 970GTX Mini | NV 1080TI FE (cap at 85%, 800mV)
Storage 2*SN850 1TB, 230S 4TB, 840EVO 128GB, WD green 2TB HDD, IronWolf 6TB, 2*HC550 18TB in RAID1
Display(s) LG 21` FHD W2261VP | Lenovo 27` 4K Qreator 27
Case Thermaltake V3 Black|Define 7 Solid, stock 3*14 fans+ 2*12 front&buttom+ out 1*8 (on expansion slot)
Audio Device(s) Beyerdynamic DT 990 (or the screen speakers when I'm too lazy)
Power Supply Enermax Pro82+ 525W | Corsair RM650x (2021)
Mouse Logitech Master 3
Keyboard Roccat Isku FX
VR HMD Nop.
Software WIN 10 | WIN 11
Benchmark Scores CB23 SC: i5-2400=641 | i9-13900k=2325-2281 MC: i5-2400=i9 13900k SC | i9-13900k=37240-35500
As a general though, I think that if you want a really open forum that encourage debate and other opinions you need to add negative reactions option to be able to counter any positive emoji.
If not, you practically controlling the narrative of the form and to some extent directing\forcing it to the positive side. A bit like that YouTuber who ask for like&sub whether his contact is good or not.

Having said that, one must not be naive to think that debaters will use such a negative opportunity (dislike, broken hearted ect.) only to show reall reaction and not to flame, annoy and vandet others on a personal level.

And with that, you must consider the variety of people in the form and how childish they tend to be, in order to balance their ability to ruin the debate and whole forum.

Somewhat just like democracy that, if not properly defend itself, can and will be used by it's own people to eliminate itself, eventually.

So maybe add the ability to negative reactions, but do it differently based on the user record in the forum. So you can react negatively only a set number of time, based on how active you are: massages\day, membership time, number of positions response relative to number of massages and\or other factors. also, always keep the ability to 'down rank' (permanently or temporarily) highly acclaimed users who 'woke on the wrong side' that day or just took the Fukitol pill and gone rogue.

Last edited:
System Name Holiday Season Budget Computer (HSBC)
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7700X
Motherboard MSi PRO B650M-A WiFi
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory 2x 16 GB Corsair Vengeance EXPO DDR5-6000
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 6500 XT 4 GB
Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 4 + 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Display(s) Dell S3422DWG, 7" Waveshare touchscreen
Case Kolink Citadel Mesh black
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z333 2.1 speakers, AKG Y50 headphones
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-750
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech G413 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro
As a general though, I think that if you want a really open forum that encourage debate and other opinions you need to add negative reactions option to be able to counter any positive emoji.
If not, you practically controlling the narrative of the form (to some extent) directing it to the positive side.
I respectfully disagree. If you feel negatively about something, you should be able to articulate why. Having a vast array of negative emojis at your disposal encourages the opposite, leading to the devolution of civilised discourse into one-way pseudo-communication by throwing angry faces at others. I'd much rather have a rational debate about anything than engage in some basic, animalistic, never-ending rage battle.

I do think emotions have their time and place. I also think that an online tech forum is not one of them.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D -30 uv
Motherboard AsRock Steel Legend B650
Cooling MSI C360 AIO
Memory 32gb 6000 CL 30-36-36-76
Video Card(s) MERC310 7900 XT -60 uv
Display(s) NZXT Canvas IPS 1440p 165hz 27"
Case NZXT H710 (Red/Black)
Audio Device(s) HD58X, Asgard 2, Modi 3
Power Supply Corsair RM850W
I honestly think we only need one more emoji, maybe a squinty face with a couple question marks? For when we are confused by something.

Angry is negative imo, as it is irrational and blocks Virtue the highest good. so we already have a negative in my eyes.

dgianstefani

TPU Proofreader
Staff member
System Name Silent
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D @ 5.15ghz BCLK OC, TG AM5 High Performance Heatspreader
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix X670E-I, chipset fans removed
Cooling Optimus AMD Raw Copper/Plexi, HWLABS Copper 240/40+240/30, D5, 4x Noctua A12x25, Mayhems Ultra Pure
Memory 32 GB Dominator Platinum 6150 MHz 26-36-36-48, 56.6ns AIDA, 2050 FLCK, 160 ns TRFC
Video Card(s) RTX 3080 Ti Founders Edition, Conductonaut Extreme, 18 W/mK MinusPad Extreme, Corsair XG7 Waterblock
Storage Intel Optane DC P1600X 118 GB, Samsung 990 Pro 2 TB
Display(s) 32" 240 Hz 1440p Samsung G7, 31.5" 165 Hz 1440p LG NanoIPS Ultragear
Case Sliger SM570 CNC Aluminium 13-Litre, 3D printed feet, custom front panel with pump/res combo
Audio Device(s) Audeze Maxwell Ultraviolet, Razer Nommo Pro
Power Supply SF750 Plat, transparent full custom cables, Sentinel Pro 1500 Online Double Conversion UPS w/Noctua
Mouse Razer Viper Pro V2 Mercury White w/Tiger Ice Skates & Pulsar Supergrip tape
Keyboard Wooting 60HE+ module, TOFU Redux Burgundy w/brass weight, Prismcaps White & Jellykey, lubed/modded
Software Windows 10 IoT Enterprise LTSC 19053.3803
Benchmark Scores Legendary
I honestly think we only need one more emoji, maybe a squinty face with a couple question marks? For when we are confused by something.

Angry is negative imo, as it is irrational and blocks Virtue the highest good. so we already have a negative in my eyes.
Anger isn't inherently negative. You can have "righteous" anger. You can also have rational anger. In certain situations you can also have a kind of calm anger. It's an emotion that can compel action, good or bad.

Motherboard Asus P8H67-M LE | Gigabyte AERO Z690-G, bios F26 with "Instant 6 GHz" on
Storage 2*SN850 1TB, 230S 4TB, 840EVO 128GB, WD green 2TB HDD, IronWolf 6TB, 2*HC550 18TB in RAID1
Case Thermaltake V3 Black|Define 7 Solid, stock 3*14 fans+ 2*12 front&buttom+ out 1*8 (on expansion slot)
Mouse Logitech Master 3
Keyboard Roccat Isku FX
VR HMD Nop.
Software WIN 10 | WIN 11
Benchmark Scores CB23 SC: i5-2400=641 | i9-13900k=2325-2281 MC: i5-2400=i9 13900k SC | i9-13900k=37240-35500
I respectfully disagree. If you feel negatively about something, you should be able to articulate why. Having a vast array of negative emojis at your disposal encourages the opposite, leading to the devolution of civilised discourse into one-way pseudo-communication by throwing angry faces at others. I'd much rather have a rational debate about anything than engage in some basic, animalistic, never-ending rage battle.

I do think emotions have their time and place. I also think that an online tech forum is not one of them.
I guess you read the rest of my post, saying you should enable negative in a controlled manner, according to each user record, to keep the general positivenes of the forum.

I would like to see the opinion for negative responses as I think this forum is mature enough to handle it.
Many times I do a ‘like’ to a post and than keep replaying and adding to that positive response by writing. I can see myself do the same thing with ‘dislike’.

I think that in a forum where you exchange opinions and debate with strong arguments (and it’s irrelevant if it’s about food, cars, politics, tech religion or so) emojis in general and negative ones as well have their place. Emojis are well based, widely spread non-verbal way of communication and in a sense (imo) is part of the general advancement like the tech advancement we discuss here. They come from and are heading to the ‘same direction’. But allow it as long as it used in a way that doesn’t make people stop posting in that forum and keep it on the positive side of the map.

edit: I accidentally post before finishing so do re read if the end seems off..

Last edited:
System Name AlderLake / Laptop
Processor Intel i7 12700K P-Cores @ 5Ghz / Intel i3 7100U
Motherboard Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Master / HP 83A3 (U3E1)
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A 2 fans + Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Extreme + 5 case fans / Fan
Memory 32GB DDR5 Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 6000MT/s CL36 / 8GB DDR4 HyperX CL13
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio / Intel HD620
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Evo 500GB + 850 Pro 512GB + 860 Evo 1TB x2 / Samsung 256GB M.2 SSD
Display(s) 23.8" Dell S2417DG 165Hz G-Sync 1440p / 14" 1080p IPS Glossy
Case Be quiet! Silent Base 600 - Window / HP Pavilion
Audio Device(s) Panasonic SA-PMX94 / Realtek onboard + B&O speaker system / Harman Kardon Go + Play / Logitech G533
Power Supply Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 750W / Powerbrick
Mouse Logitech MX Anywhere 2 Laser wireless / Logitech M330 wireless
Keyboard RAPOO E9270P Black 5GHz wireless / HP backlit
Software Windows 11 / Windows 10
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 (Single Core) 1936 @ stock Cinebench R23 (Multi Core) 23006 @ stock
I would like to see the opinion for negative responses as I think this forum is mature enough to handle it.

TPU tried this some time ago, it wasn't a success.. So W1zz decided no longer..

Processor i5-6600K
Motherboard Asus Z170A
Cooling some cheap Cooler Master Hyper 103 or similar
Memory 16GB DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) IGP
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250GB
Display(s) 2x Oldell 24" 1920x1200
Case Bitfenix Nova white windowless non-mesh
Audio Device(s) E-mu 1212m PCI
Power Supply Seasonic G-360
Mouse Logitech Marble trackball, never had a mouse
Keyboard Key Tronic KT2000, no Win key because 1994
Software Oldwin
Sometimes I want to attach a "haha" or something else just to one part of a long post. Forums here don't allow that, and I can't t even imagine an elegant, not cluttered solution. Does it exist at all, in any forum software?

Well... if 90% of people are mature enough 90% of the time, that calculates to 81%. Not good enough.

Mouse Logitech Master 3
Keyboard Roccat Isku FX
VR HMD Nop.
Software WIN 10 | WIN 11
TPU tried this some time ago, it wasn't a success.. So W1zz decided no longer..
Guess I wasn’t around back then.
It doesn’t surprise me it didn’t do well, very easily it can be abused.
Anyway, if the effort to make a balanced positive-negative system is to big and you may cancel it out after a few months of use than leave it like that.

If it ain’t broken, don’t fix it…

Cooling Noctua NH-U12A 2 fans + Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Extreme + 5 case fans / Fan
Memory 32GB DDR5 Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 6000MT/s CL36 / 8GB DDR4 HyperX CL13
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Evo 500GB + 850 Pro 512GB + 860 Evo 1TB x2 / Samsung 256GB M.2 SSD
Audio Device(s) Panasonic SA-PMX94 / Realtek onboard + B&O speaker system / Harman Kardon Go + Play / Logitech G533
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 (Single Core) 1936 @ stock Cinebench R23 (Multi Core) 23006 @ stock
A while ago TPU tried to do something like tweakers but it wasn't a success and so it's no longer...

Mouse Logitech Master 3
Keyboard Roccat Isku FX
VR HMD Nop.
Software WIN 10 | WIN 11
Well... if 90% of people are mature enough 90% of the time, that calculates to 81%. Not good enough.
Maybe it was more my hope than my thinking that we are mature enough :rolleyes:

System Name 1.FortySe7en VR rig 2. intel teliscope rig 3.MSI GP72MVR Leopard Pro .E-52699, Xeon play thing
Processor 1.3900x @stock 2. i7 7700k @5. 3. i7 7700hq
Motherboard 1.aorus x570 ultra 2. z270 Maximus IX Hero,4 MR9A PRO ATX X99
Cooling 1.Hard tube loop, cpu and gpu 2. Hard loop cpu and gpu 4 360 AIO
Memory 1.Gskill neo @3600 32gb 2.hyperxfury 32gb @3000 3. 16gb hyperx @2400 4 64GB 2133 in quad channel
Video Card(s) 1.GIGABYTE RTX 3080 WaterForce WB 2. Aorus RTX2080 3. 1060 3gb. 4 Arc 770LE 16 gb
Storage 1 M.2 500gb , 2 3tb HDs 2. 256gb ssd, 3tbHD 3. 256 m.2. 1tb ssd 4. 2gb ssd
Display(s) 1.LG 50" UHD , 2 MSI Optix MAG342C UWHD. 3.17" 120 hz display 4. Acer Preditor 144hz 32inch.z
Case 1. Thermaltake P5 2. Thermaltake P3 4. some cheapo case that should not be named.
Audio Device(s) 1 Onboard 2 Onboard 3 Onboard 4. onboard.
Power Supply 1.seasonic gx 850w 2. seasonic gx 750w. 4 RM850w
Mouse 1 ROG Gladius 2 Corsair m65 pro
Keyboard 1. ROG Strix Flare 2. Corsair F75 RBG 3. steelseries RBG
VR HMD rift and rift S and Quest 2.
Software 1. win11 pro 2. win11 pro 3, win11 home 4 win11 pro
Benchmark Scores 1.7821 cb20 ,cb15 3442 1c 204 cpu-z 1c 539 12c 8847 2. 1106 cb 3.cb 970
there are so many negatives in this world we don't need another. all's good as is.

Status
Not open for further replies.