• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

TechPowerUp Hiring: Reviewers Wanted for Motherboards, Laptops, Gaming Handhelds and Prebuilt Desktops

ir_cow

Staff member
I can understand your point of view but isn't this (A) an incredibly easy way to eliminate the incredibly lazy ones out and at the same time (B) allow for good script engineers who can possibly create quality content faster to shine?
"OpenAI write me a cover letter explaining how I am a good candidate to be a tech writer"

Dear [Hiring Manager's Name],

I am writing to express my interest in the Tech Writer position at [Company Name], as advertised. With a passion for technology and a knack for clear, concise communication, I believe I am a strong candidate to contribute to your team.

As a tech enthusiast, I have always enjoyed deciphering complex concepts and translating them into accessible language. My educational background in [relevant field], combined with [number] years of experience in technical writing roles, has equipped me with the skills necessary to excel in this position.

Throughout my career, I have demonstrated my ability to:

• Distill intricate technical information into user-friendly documentation, including manuals, guides, and tutorials.
  • Collaborate effectively with cross-functional teams, including developers, designers, and product managers, to gather information and ensure accuracy.
  • Adapt quickly to new technologies and software tools, allowing me to stay ahead of industry trends and produce high-quality content.
  • Prioritize tasks and meet deadlines in fast-paced environments, maintaining a keen attention to detail throughout the writing process.
Moreover, my portfolio showcases my proficiency in various writing styles and formats, demonstrating my versatility as a tech writer. Whether I am crafting API documentation, release notes, or troubleshooting guides, I always strive to deliver content that is informative, engaging, and easy to understand.

I am particularly impressed by [Company Name]'s commitment to innovation and its dedication to providing users with exceptional experiences. I am eager to contribute to your mission by leveraging my skills to create documentation that enhances the usability and accessibility of your products.

Thank you for considering my application. I am excited about the opportunity to further discuss how my background, skills, and enthusiasm align with the needs of [Company Name]. I am available for an interview at your earliest convenience and can be reached at [Your Phone Number] or [Your Email Address].

Warm regards,

[Your Name]
Look how easy that was.

"I believe I am a strong candidate to contribute to your team."
Should look-up Dunning-Krugger effect regarding such claims.

Surprised there isn't a little technical questionnaire to reply in private to show applicant's ability.

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
Hello, I can't apply to this one unfortunately though I would have liked to, because I'm not in one of the countries eligible. Yet I wanted to draw some attention to the No GPT generated content bit @W1zzard.
You are of course free to use AI to help you generate review content that gets _published_. But for the application I want to know _your_ skills, so that once we hire you, you can verify that ChatGPT writes what you want it write and can fine-tune the output

OneWithMisery

I wish I had the courage to quit my full-time job for a part-time one that's at least more fulfilling. Unfortunately, I still need money to live. :(
That's the thing for me also. But maybe I could make progress with my studies if I only worked part-time. Or maybe I quit them both and start looking something somewhere away from here.

System Name Holiday Season Budget Computer (HSBC)
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7700X
Motherboard MSi PRO B650M-A WiFi
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory 2x 16 GB Corsair Vengeance EXPO DDR5-6000
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 6500 XT 4 GB
Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 4 + 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Display(s) Dell S3422DWG, 7" Waveshare touchscreen
Case Kolink Citadel Mesh black
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z333 2.1 speakers, AKG Y50 headphones
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-750
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech G413 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro
Tried that. Ended up with 3 part time jobs instead :) . Now I'm back to this + full-time day job.
Yep. It's nice when your fulfilment comes from your job. But my fulfilment mostly comes from things other than my job (spending time with my girlfriend, friends, building PCs, etc.) for which I need a stable income.

Over the past years I refurbished an old HP Pavilion G6. The machine came with Windows 8 originally and a hard disk. The Realtek WiFi card was rather limited too.

The machine came with 6GB using one 4GB and one 2GB so the CPU was slowed and the UEFI was slow to POST etc. Replacing the OEM RAM with 2x4GB DDR3L-1600 eliminated the poor performance

The OEM hard disk is now replaced with a Kingspec 1TB SATA SSD which makes Windows 11 quick to boot up. I have used a wide range of brands of SSD for both SATA and M.2 class machines.

Found a Fenvi card for mini-PCI and HP did not have an issue with the AX200 card installed. Now the machine can do basic work with adequate networking and storage.

I can use it to import music from CD as the machine has a DVD drive on it. So with 1TB I can import a lot of disks before I need to move them onto a NAS.

wolf

Performance Enthusiast
System Name MightyX
Processor Ryzen 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro WiFi
Cooling Scythe Fuma 2
Memory 32GB DDR4 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Asus TUF RTX3080 Deshrouded
Storage WD Black SN850X 2TB
Display(s) LG 42C2 4K OLED
Case Coolermaster NR200P
Audio Device(s) LG SN5Y / Focal Clear
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Corsair Dark Core RBG Pro SE
Keyboard Glorious GMMK Compact w/pudding
VR HMD Meta Quest 3
Software case populated with Artic P12's
Benchmark Scores 4k120 OLED Gsync bliss
For say a person selected to do Laptop, prebuilt or handheld, what would the expected workload be, ie how many reviews per week or month? Is this negotiable? I assume the reviewer is provided the hardware to review, then must transport it back to supplier/w1z etc? I could see that on occasion retaining the hardware for personal use would be a huge incentive.

I am seriously considering applying, I really did enjoy my brief stint as a news writer, and life has somewhat 'eased' since then, providing more free time. Plus my writing skills, product knowledge and ability to articulate concepts, points, facets etc has come a long way too.

I do potentially see remuneration as a concern for Australians, our labour cost is typically high, so the mixture of incentive from the pay packet and building a reputation for yourself in the industry needs to be carefully considered.

EDIT: My bad, Australia unfortunately not open for applicants :( - side note, what region is @Mussels based in, could things be less of a risk to Western Australia? depends if places will ship direct here or need to go through the far more populous and developed eastern states.

Last edited:

pzqking

Taiwan region is an indivisible part of People Republic of China,and cannot be line like a country.
Please be careful while mentioning these area,I don't want this website to be banned,and we don't want our country to be seperated.

Taiwan region is an indivisible part of People Republic of China
LOL. People of Taiwan and international community think otherwise. This kind of thinking can cause China a lot of serious problems, so be careful talking about that, and better wipe this kind of thinking out of your brains.

I think I'll be submitting an application.
My essay might be well over 300 words, so I hope that will be okay?

You need to think about the hiring manager that is going to be looking at resumes. How many essays do you expect them to read? How many would you read when looking for a candidate?

I have hired a few people in my career and if a resume is multiple pages it usually goes in the trash. There is just too much to look at when you have 50 applicants in front of you.

Follow the rules and get your point across in 300 words. It's like real journalism when you only have so many inches for your story.

I'm sure your a good writer, so get your point in less than 300 words. Albert Einstein said that if you cant explain it to a 6 year old, then you dont know what your talking about. It's the same with a 300 word essay.

Good Luck!

System Name RemixedBeast-NX
Processor Intel Xeon E5-2690 @ 2.9Ghz (8C/16T)
Motherboard Dell Inc. 08HPGT (CPU 1)
Cooling Dell Standard
Memory 24GB ECC
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Nvidia RTX2060 6GB
Storage 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD//2TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster P2350 23in @ 1920x1080 + Dell E2013H 20 in @1600x900
Case Dell Precision T3600 Chassis
Audio Device(s) Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 // Fiio E7 Amp/DAC
Power Supply 630w Dell T3600 PSU
Mouse Logitech G700s/G502
Keyboard Logitech K740
Software Linux Mint 20
Benchmark Scores Network: APs: Cisco Meraki MR32, Ubiquiti Unifi AP-AC-LR and Lite Router/Sw:Meraki MX64 MS220-8P
Mine was 378 words or something but I had 3 or 4 urls in there and mentioned a lot of brands I've tested for beta testing so

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
I have hired a few people in my career and if a resume is multiple pages it usually goes in the trash. There is just too much to look at when you have 50 applicants in front of you.
Wouldn't it be fair to start reading, read up to the limit, and if you feel like "want to know more?", you'll read on. That's what I do

Wouldn't it be fair to start reading, read up to the limit, and if you feel like "want to know more?", you'll read on. That's what I do
Love your work W1zzard, best reviews around. Your probably a pretty good boss too. For a journalism gig, yes I would read it (if it was good) as writing is fundamental to the job. But I dont have time to give 50 applicants equal treatment in my job. It would take all day or more.

I'm not an HR manager, reviewing resumes and interviewing people is not my job, but a task that I have to perform from time to time. Sometimes job seekers dont think about the big picture (I have been guilty of it too). They want to stand out, but sometimes in the wrong ways.

Keep up the good work and good luck on your next hire! I'll read their work for sure.

System Name My Ryzen 7 7700X Super Computer
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7700X
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling DeepCool AK620 with Arctic Silver 5
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 EXPO (CL30)
Video Card(s) XFX AMD Radeon RX 7900 GRE
Storage Samsung 980 EVO 1 TB NVMe SSD (System Drive), Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB NVMe SSD (Game Drive)
Display(s) Acer Nitro XV272U (DisplayPort) and Acer Nitro XV270U (DisplayPort)
Case Lian Li LANCOOL II MESH C
Audio Device(s) On-Board Sound / Sony WH-XB910N Bluetooth Headphones
Power Supply MSI A850GF
Mouse Logitech M705
Keyboard Steelseries
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/liwjs3
Yeah sure, I'd like to be able to do this. Motherboards and pre-builts, that is.

System Name Blytzen
Processor Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASRock B650E Taichi Lite
Cooling Deepcool LS520 (240mm)
Memory G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) Powercolor 6800XT Red Dragon (16 gig)
Storage 2TB Crucial P5 Plus SSD, 80TB spinning rust in a NAS
Display(s) Agon 32" 144hz, Samsung 32" 4k
Case Coolermaster HAF 500
Audio Device(s) Logitech G733 and no speakers (replacements are under consideration)
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL tactile
Benchmark Scores Squats and calf raises
Let me know if you open it to Australians, among other things we can do tortures tests exposing it to our native flora and fauna.

Perhaps you meant to say 'wordy'? Fascinating opinion if so, given your reviews (specifically conclusions) are verbose to the point I wonder if most actually read them thoroughly (fairly certain they don't).

It's especially interesting when many aspects are copy/pasted across similar products, when perhaps those could be contained to the core product (MBA/NFE), with only new particulars for AIB models.

That said, I respect whatever you choose to do. I personally believe well-rounded context doesn't always fit on one line; a pre-set space (all the time), although I understand the desire for that to occur.

Could you consider a new (copy?) editor position as well?

I can't imagine finding enough new/pertinent topics (to others) that go into posting several articles per day, let-alone reiterating them in an all in an engaging way, but often feel I could improve them.

(I'd be open to proof-reading, if not help add some spice. Never with the intention to take control, just help articulate or perhaps fill in conceivable blind-spots/misconceptions that may occur).

I love the site and have appreciated/respected W1zard longer than some members of this site have been alive...I just give him a bit of a hard time occasionally to keep him honest and on his toes.

I truly think, and anyone that has been around as long as I have would almost-certainly agree, he was a pioneer in the space and continues to keep the 'old' spirit of written reviews and linkable charts alive...which is more appreciated than he can possibly imagine. Well, perhaps he can, given he says the site is (still) doing very well in a space that has largely migrated to Youtube (video) and other mediums. I believe it is sites like this one that prompted Gamers Nexus (et al) to re-enter the space by (once-again) making the information in their video reviews available in text format, for which I am also thankful.

Surviving, if not thriving through such a transition speaks volumes to the quality, and to the perseverance of people that frequent the site for that type of information and/or how it is conveyed.

-----

Over the years there have been many times positions like this have come up on this and other sites I have frequented (Anandtech in it's prime, Wccftech back when I frequented there before it became an overwhelming meme cesspool, Kotaku, etc.,), and I've long-held the position that it was my role to be the guy in the comments to fill in the gaps or add extra context; to question the authority and round out the picture of conceivable viewpoints on an issue. It's not with the goal to be a contrarian or rain on anyone's parade for which a product fills their budget/desire, but to allow someone that is writing a piece with a certain narrative to do so, while still showing there are other aspects/viewpoints to consider (or reasons products have certain limitations; hopefully so such obvious segmentation may be mitigated in the future) that can still be contained within the context of that review, article, or subject matter (in the comment section); often that others may think/feel but choose not to say or are afraid to share. My hope has always been to allow as much information to be available in one place as possible, which is why I appreciate there is a discussion post in every review. I feel I've played my role when something like this occurs; people read the review and may or may not realistically want/need a $1000 pair of headphones, but may be interested in HFM. Because of that discussion some may now be aware/reminded there is a cheaper (~$300-400) set available that is very good, but that the manufacturer needs to work on an aspect of their design for certain models (as shown not only by my opinion and/or the editor/reviewer, but by others that agree and participate in the thread with similar concerns/solutions).

TBQH, though, there's never been a time I've more heavily considered applying for such a position. I feel I've banked enough years of experience/knowledge (some that others have yet to learn and other things people will never have to go through simply because things evolved before their interest in something and/or lifetime) that it could be helpful in helping people understand when certain things changed and why, and what improvements have or can still be made; the same goes wrt conceivable regression. Without going into a conceivable Jeff Goldsmith question nobody has asked, I used to spend the majority of my time in a job that confined me to a small area doing mostly-mindless repetitious work, which allowed me to consume a ton of information (through podcasts, music, etc) mentally, and then process that information and what I wanted to say about it while adjusting my required mood/mindset through different emotional aspects of what I listened to afterwards (music or types/ways of going about other discussion). After I left that position I've found myself a little aimless, and disappointed in myself wrt keeping that flow (I think I needed the structure). I can't think of many jobs that would allow me to multi-task in such a fashion; giving my body expected/required purpose while taking in information on something new (and conceivably inspirational) at the same time; actively doing something, learning something new, but also absorbing, contemplating, or repurposing aspects of that I've already learned/appreciated. Doing reviews/editorials may allow a similar type of flow, but I have always been unsure. On top of that, when the guy that goes against the grain, fills in the gaps, or says the unsaid becomes the grain or the creator of those gaps, can one expect another to fill THAT position? I don't know.

Putting a viewpoint out in an official capacity on something is also not quite the same as commenting or writing a blog; there is a requirement to be concise and for there to be a throughline; not go off on one or more tangents. A requirement of professionalism that can't come across as forceful (although that is sometimes required for action to be taken); lest you become shoe-horned into appearing aggressive or a shill if overly focused on one strength or weakness. There's a (personal) requirement of perfectionism/not forgetting something that would probably eat away at me (more than it already does when I choose to comment on something), let-alone worries of writing so much people wouldn't read it thoroughly-enough to absorb all aspects I feel important, although the fact you have focused on noting that there are others more familiar with the workflow available for advice is extremely appreciated...to whomever may end up with such a job. That thoughtfulness should ease some of those concerns to whomever may think to apply.

While I've never wanted clout (I care more about the issues/solutions and spread/sharing of ideas rather than their origin), there is something to be said about the people one appreciates and being able to personally relate that I've never been able to have. Sometimes I wish I did, but other times I feel it's important to not have that expectation of a certain demeanor or style which comes with such as a job.

Maybe I will apply for one of these jobs...someday. Until I can work up enough courage and relinquish enough self-doubt about becoming part of the machine, I shall continue to (thoughtfully) rage against it.

(See? That's 1000+ words; 700+ if you don't count the note to W1zard. I edited it so it's now ~900/1200+...I'm incorrigible when my edits are the desired size of a complete article. :oops:)
See, if I would have tried to word this it would have been at least 1500+ words (or 1000 without a note to Wizz, which I fully agree and wholeheartedly sign :D ) :D

If people didn't buy them, these products wouldn't exist. My buddy games on a RTX 4070 laptop. His wife doesn't like him having a desktop taking up space. He puts the laptop on his lap and away we play.

You should tell your buddy to tell his wife to deal with it! Especially if they don't have kids yet...

Last edited:
System Name Miami
Processor Ryzen 3800X
Motherboard Asus Crosshair VII Formula
Cooling Ek Velocity/ 2x 280mm Radiators/ Alphacool fullcover
Memory F4-3600C16Q-32GTZNC
Video Card(s) XFX 6900 XT Speedster 0
Storage 1TB WD M.2 SSD/ 2TB WD SN750/ 4TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) DELL AW3420DW / HP ZR24w
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL
Audio Device(s) EVGA Nu Audio
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Gold 1000W+750W
Mouse Corsair Scimitar/Glorious Model O-
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platinum
Software Windows 10 Pro
As the posts says already, we are all here to help with feedback and best practices if asked for. Don't feel that you are completely alone or need to know absolutely everything about a subject. Just need a willingness to learn, question everything and adapt.

Best of luck to applicants.

P.s I have no hiring powers here, please don't PM me about giving a good word on your behalf. Your application will speak for itself.

PM Sent

Arktikk

If I had the equipment, I would love to become a motherboard reviewer! However, being a full-time college student would make reviewing motherboards consistently hard lol.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D -30 uv
Motherboard AsRock Steel Legend B650
Cooling MSI C360 AIO
Memory 32gb 6000 CL 30-36-36-76
Video Card(s) MERC310 7900 XT -60 uv
Display(s) NZXT Canvas IPS 1440p 165hz 27"
Case NZXT H710 (Red/Black)
Audio Device(s) HD58X, Asgard 2, Modi 3
Power Supply Corsair RM850W
yes

Correct

I picked @Mussels for mobo reviewer last year and there have been constant issues/poisons/natural disasters/infrastructure outages/etc etc

Could you give us an update on mussels? Is he doing ok? Will he be back soon. I know he is a cherished part of the community here, so it would just be nice to have a general update if that's ok with him and you.

I am not applying for anything, if I were the handheld reviewer people would scream at me, cause I would just be bragging about how much I love my Deck OLED and how nothing beats SteamOS ;)

:laugh:

Whoever wins this role though, I wish you the best and hope you have a blast! :toast:

Last edited:
Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
Perhaps you meant to say 'wordy'? Fascinating opinion if so, given your reviews (specifically conclusions) are verbose to the point I wonder if most actually read them thoroughly (fairly certain they don't).

It's especially interesting when many aspects are copy/pasted across similar products, when perhaps those could be contained to the core product (MBA/NFE), with only new particulars for AIB models.

That said, I respect whatever you choose to do. I personally believe well-rounded context doesn't always fit on one line; a pre-set space (all the time), although I understand the desire for that to occur.

Could you consider a new (copy?) editor position as well?

I can't imagine finding enough new/pertinent topics (to others) that go into posting several articles per day, let-alone reiterating them in an all in an engaging way, but often feel I could improve them.

(I'd be open to proof-reading, if not help add some spice. Never with the intention to take control, just help articulate or perhaps fill in conceivable blind-spots/misconceptions that may occur).

I love the site and have appreciated/respected W1zard longer than some members of this site have been alive...I just give him a bit of a hard time occasionally to keep him honest and on his toes.

I truly think, and anyone that has been around as long as I have would almost-certainly agree, he was a pioneer in the space and continues to keep the 'old' spirit of written reviews and linkable charts alive...which is more appreciated than he can possibly imagine. Well, perhaps he can, given he says the site is (still) doing very well in a space that has largely migrated to Youtube (video) and other mediums. I believe it is sites like this one that prompted Gamers Nexus (et al) to re-enter the space by (once-again) making the information in their video reviews available in text format, for which I am also thankful.

Surviving, if not thriving through such a transition speaks volumes to the quality, and to the perseverance of people that frequent the site for that type of information and/or how it is conveyed.

-----

Over the years there have been many times positions like this have come up on this and other sites I have frequented (Anandtech in it's prime, Wccftech back when I frequented there before it became an overwhelming meme cesspool, Kotaku, etc.,), and I've long-held the position that it was my role to be the guy in the comments to fill in the gaps or add extra context; to question the authority and round out the picture of conceivable viewpoints on an issue. It's not with the goal to be a contrarian or rain on anyone's parade for which a product fills their budget/desire, but to allow someone that is writing a piece with a certain narrative to do so, while still showing there are other aspects/viewpoints to consider (or reasons products have certain limitations; hopefully so such obvious segmentation may be mitigated in the future) that can still be contained within the context of that review, article, or subject matter (in the comment section); often that others may think/feel but choose not to say or are afraid to share. My hope has always been to allow as much information to be available in one place as possible, which is why I appreciate there is a discussion post in every review. I feel I've played my role when something like this occurs; people read the review and may or may not realistically want/need a $1000 pair of headphones, but may be interested in HFM. Because of that discussion some may now be aware/reminded there is a cheaper (~$300-400) set available that is very good, but that the manufacturer needs to work on an aspect of their design for certain models (as shown not only by my opinion and/or the editor/reviewer, but by others that agree and participate in the thread with similar concerns/solutions).

TBQH, though, there's never been a time I've more heavily considered applying for such a position. I feel I've banked enough years of experience/knowledge (some that others have yet to learn and other things people will never have to go through simply because things evolved before their interest in something and/or lifetime) that it could be helpful in helping people understand when certain things changed and why, and what improvements have or can still be made; the same goes wrt conceivable regression. Without going into a conceivable Jeff Goldsmith question nobody has asked, I used to spend the majority of my time in a job that confined me to a small area doing mostly-mindless repetitious work, which allowed me to consume a ton of information (through podcasts, music, etc) mentally, and then process that information and what I wanted to say about it while adjusting my required mood/mindset through different emotional aspects of what I listened to afterwards (music or types/ways of going about other discussion). After I left that position I've found myself a little aimless, and disappointed in myself wrt keeping that flow (I think I needed the structure). I can't think of many jobs that would allow me to multi-task in such a fashion; giving my body expected/required purpose while taking in information on something new (and conceivably inspirational) at the same time; actively doing something, learning something new, but also absorbing, contemplating, or repurposing aspects of that I've already learned/appreciated. Doing reviews/editorials may allow a similar type of flow, but I have always been unsure. On top of that, when the guy that goes against the grain, fills in the gaps, or says the unsaid becomes the grain or the creator of those gaps, can one expect another to fill THAT position? I don't know.

Putting a viewpoint out in an official capacity on something is also not quite the same as commenting or writing a blog; there is a requirement to be concise and for there to be a throughline; not go off on one or more tangents. A requirement of professionalism that can't come across as forceful (although that is sometimes required for action to be taken); lest you become shoe-horned into appearing aggressive or a shill if overly focused on one strength or weakness. There's a (personal) requirement of perfectionism/not forgetting something that would probably eat away at me (more than it already does when I choose to comment on something), let-alone worries of writing so much people wouldn't read it thoroughly-enough to absorb all aspects I feel important, although the fact you have focused on noting that there are others more familiar with the workflow available for advice is extremely appreciated...to whomever may end up with such a job. That thoughtfulness should ease some of those concerns to whomever may think to apply.

While I've never wanted clout (I care more about the issues/solutions and spread/sharing of ideas rather than their origin), there is something to be said about the people one appreciates and being able to personally relate that I've never been able to have. Sometimes I wish I did, but other times I feel it's important to not have that expectation of a certain demeanor or style which comes with such as a job.

Maybe I will apply for one of these jobs...someday. Until I can work up enough courage and relinquish enough self-doubt about becoming part of the machine, I shall continue to (thoughtfully) rage against it.

(See? That's 1000+ words; 700+ if you don't count the note to W1zard. I edited it so it's now ~900/1200+...I'm incorrigible when my edits are the desired size of a complete article. :oops:)
This is exactly why I'm paying TPU a small sum every month. Written, quality content.

I still don't for the life of me understand why people are content watching videos to get information. Man. Its lazy, unlike reading does not instill a single emotion other than apathy and acceptance. Its that simple distinction of mentally dead couch sitting TV watchers versus literate, mentally active people that read books. If I want to watch TV, I'll watch TV. If I need info, I want sources, verifiable, easy to copy paste and compare, etc. It needs to be written. Simple.

The writings are on the wall: countries with a very high internet population (like mine, the Netherlands, we're top ranking world wide in that sense) need to heavily reinforce their education to promote reading ability. Illiteracy is (I kid you not) on the rise here. First world, high welfare country. We have everything we could want. Go figure.

If you don't actively fight being lazy, you will become it. Physically, or mentally. The physical battle doesn't start early for everyone, but the mental one sure does - it starts at birth and ends at, well, some point at or before death.

My favorite part of the reviews is the close up pics. An old saying IIRC "a picture can be worth a thousand words". Videos are moving pictures ;)

Now there's a thought, video review for those who don't like to read with optional link with written content. The application could be made as a video with secondary written content. Brilliant idea.

Last edited:
Processor i5-6600K
Motherboard Asus Z170A
Cooling some cheap Cooler Master Hyper 103 or similar
Memory 16GB DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) IGP
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250GB
Display(s) 2x Oldell 24" 1920x1200
Case Bitfenix Nova white windowless non-mesh
Audio Device(s) E-mu 1212m PCI
Power Supply Seasonic G-360
Mouse Logitech Marble trackball, never had a mouse
Keyboard Key Tronic KT2000, no Win key because 1994
Software Oldwin
need to heavily reinforce their education to promote reading ability. Illiteracy is (I kid you not) on the rise here.
We sometimes think of literacy as the ability to read, but it's also the ability to write, and that is just as important. (Just a fair bit harder.) I'm not surprised to hear it's getting worse.