• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Unlocked Realtek HD Audio Drivers for Windows 11 (Dolby Digital Live/DTS Interactive)

My Realtek digital output endpoint says the same. I think that's normal. If you want to make changes to a driver from driver manager you would normally make the changes under Sound, video and game controllers rather than under Audio inputs and outputs.
Okay. So the sound device driver looks good. But I still can't get DTS Interactive to show up.
I think my problem is that my motherboard shows the device as Realtek USB, even though it's SPDIF. Any driver I installs doesn't change this. I've tried AAF optimus DCH build for DTS interactive on Realtek USB devices and still nothing shows up. I have an MSI Z690 EDGE WIFI DDR5 mobo, and from what I can tell they may not have paid for liscence for Dobly and its somehow blocking me?

Toxster

Okay. So the sound device driver looks good. But I still can't get DTS Interactive to show up.
I think my problem is that my motherboard shows the device as Realtek USB, even though it's SPDIF. Any driver I installs doesn't change this. I've tried AAF optimus DCH build for DTS interactive on Realtek USB devices and still nothing shows up. I have an MSI Z690 EDGE WIFI DDR5 mobo, and from what I can tell they may not have paid for liscence for Dobly and its somehow blocking me?
Maybe use Driver store explorer and (list from Alan Finotty) remove all the following categories of drivers: "Realtek", "Dolby", "DTS", "Creative", "A-Volute", "AAF Optimus", etc in the "Sound, Video and Game Controllers", "Extensions", "Software Components" and "Audio Processing Objects" device categories. Excluding Realtek network if you have it.

Then restart the entire process again, motherboard licensing should not matter because if the manufacturer had licensed their board we could stick to using the manufacturer's drivers. I've never seen an onboard Realtek digital output show up as a USB device though. Mine shows up as ATAPI but I had to use a header plate due to the fact the board only has s/pdif pins on the board.

Edit: Just checked the specs of your board and it is indeed connected via USB. Info about your audio chip the ALC4080

Last edited:
Maybe use Driver store explorer and (list from Alan Finotty) remove all the following categories of drivers: "Realtek", "Dolby", "DTS", "Creative", "A-Volute", "AAF Optimus", etc in the "Sound, Video and Game Controllers", "Extensions", "Software Components" and "Audio Processing Objects" device categories. Excluding Realtek network if you have it.

Then restart the entire process again, motherboard licensing should not matter because if the manufacturer had licensed their board we could stick to using the manufacturer's drivers. I've never seen an onboard Realtek digital output show up as a USB device though. Mine shows up as ATAPI but I had to use a header plate due to the fact the board only has s/pdif pins on the board.

Edit: Just checked the specs of your board and it is indeed connected via USB. Info about your audio chip the ALC4080
Thank you for the thorough investigation. I ended up purchasing a pcei sound card which comes with everything I need to plug and play (sound blaster AE7). Thanks again!

Toxster

Thank you for the thorough investigation. I ended up purchasing a pcei sound card which comes with everything I need to plug and play (sound blaster AE7). Thanks again!
Well that's certainly a solution, have fun and you're welcome.

Ricko

Apart from giving you the HD audio drivers - do you see any need to a soundcard nowadays?
Just curious, I have an old speaker set attached - not via the sometimes flaky front HD audio but directly at the mainboard and I'm thinking of installing my Asus Strix Soundcard

Apart from giving you the HD audio drivers - do you see any need to a soundcard nowadays?
Just curious, I have an old speaker set attached - not via the sometimes flaky front HD audio but directly at the mainboard and I'm thinking of installing my Asus Strix Soundcard
I wouldn't think so, unless you have an old cpu and want all the audio processing done on the sound card. I've been using an AS Rock mobo with 5.1 SPDIF out from it for almost a decade. Just built a new PC and I can't get 5.1 to run from this weird Realtek USB audio driver, so I decided to stop wasting time and just go with the easy solution of buying a dedicated sound card with all the licences.

This is a basic guide and it will only serve to unlock the Dolby Digital Live and DTS Interactive nothing else using their own official drivers Realtek Audio

Guide to enable Dolby Digital Live and/or DTS Interactive:

1. Uninstall your existing Realtek drivers with Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) and reboot. You will have to disable the use of signed drivers (How To Disable Driver Signature Enforcement, How to disable mandatory use of signed drivers)
2. Download and extract zip file containing original Realtek HD audio drivers R2.80 (In my case I use the version R2.80).
3. Use Pihto's patch to patch the DLL files (the password is ''realtek''). The target filenames are listed on the patcher window. They begin with "rltkAPO64.dll, rltkAPO.dll" and may be in "win32" and "win64" subfolders of the Realtek package. You will have to manually select each file to patch and run the patcher multiple times to patch all matching files.
4. Now run the Realtek setup program. You may be asked to install unsigned drivers. Choose yes.
5. Do not immediately reboot. Instead, open regedit and ensure the "DisableProtectedAudioDG" registry fix is still present. If not, add it again. You need to create it for that, select right click on the blank => New => DWORD (32 bit) value and then name it ''DisableProtectedAudioDG'' with hex value ''1''

6. Reboot, and Dolby Digital Live/DTS Interactive should be available.
7. Working properly on Windows 11 with Realtek version R2.80

This guide only works for the S/PDIF interface and will unlock Dolby Digital Live and DTS Connect

View attachment 234536View attachment 234524View attachment 234527

View attachment 234537View attachment 234538View attachment 234529View attachment 234539
I did all the above, and the Dolby Digital 5.1 is available now in submenu but the Audio Control panel is missing. Any idea?

indiocochino

Strange case for me...everything installed correctly (with Asus last patched drivers).
When I test sound in "supported format" (2nd tab) I can hear the sound in the 5.1 speakers:

1675806451277.png

but when I test the sound in "Advanced Options" (4th tab) I can only hear 2 frontal speakers working:

1675806617419.png

I did some tests with dts/dolby 5.1 video demos and it works like a charm but when trying to play games only 2 speakers (Doom Eternal, Cyberpunk 2077 and A Plague Tale...)

Someone has this problem also?

I live in Brazil, I have a set of 5 Ascend Acoustics speakers and a HSU subwoofer running on a Denon 3313CI receiver. It's rather old, but it's very good. It has ARC support.
My TV is a LG Oled C1 55"

And the computer in question is a:
Windows 11
Ryzen 7 5700X
RTX 3080ti
Asus B550M TUF Gaming Plus (that's where the spdif cable is connected all the way to the receiver)
I don't have room for any more PCI cards. The 3080 ti ate all the room.

I've tried that guide on github, installing 2.80 realtek and patching, but the realtek wouldn't finish installing and I couldn't find the folder for the .dlls to patch... at the end it left my computer so broken I couldn't use the taskbar at all and had to restore windows.

Any help? I've tried like crazy using ARC, and now using toslink. With toslink I can test all speakers with DTS and Dolby Digital on supported formats...

Help plz =( it took me years to get all this together and now I can't even use the audio!

Tosnic

I live in Brazil, I have a set of 5 Ascend Acoustics speakers and a HSU subwoofer running on a Denon 3313CI receiver. It's rather old, but it's very good. It has ARC support.
My TV is a LG Oled C1 55"

And the computer in question is a:
Windows 11
Ryzen 7 5700X
RTX 3080ti
Asus B550M TUF Gaming Plus (that's where the spdif cable is connected all the way to the receiver)
I don't have room for any more PCI cards. The 3080 ti ate all the room.

I've tried that guide on github, installing 2.80 realtek and patching, but the realtek wouldn't finish installing and I couldn't find the folder for the .dlls to patch... at the end it left my computer so broken I couldn't use the taskbar at all and had to restore windows.

Any help? I've tried like crazy using ARC, and now using toslink. With toslink I can test all speakers with DTS and Dolby Digital on supported formats...

Help plz =( it took me years to get all this together and now I can't even use the audio!
Hey ho.
I am having trouble getting it to work as well.

Regarding the .dll files that need patching:
There is no ZIP file on the linked page. Just EXE files. Those extract themselves before the actual installation begins. You can actually intercept the temporary installation files. They are extracted into a new folder in this path:
C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\AppData\Local\Temp
Either you watch which folder is created after starting the setup, or search the Temp folder for "rltkapo".
You may want to copy those files elsewhere and patch the 2 DLLs in the non-temporary folder.

Regarding my issues:
I could only install the patched firmware after uninstalling the driver using Display Driver Uninstaller in the same Windows session (so no rebooting). Somehow the driver always got miraculously re-installed on its own. Also, allowing Windows accesss to the internet would result in Windows auto-installing the Realtek Audio Console, of course completely unasked for.
So in the end I could install the patched firmware, but I could not set my S/PDIF audio to 5.1 nor Dolby Digital etc. Still only stereo sound, both in the Settings app and in Control Panel -> Sound. I had to manually create the DWORD entry in the registry.
I have a "msi b660m mortar wifi ddr4" mobo.

Another thing to note: Windows Defender is strongly fighting the patcher.exe and continued to remove the extracted file until I told it to tolerate it. Many virus scanners see the patcher as a thread, but most of the more reknown antivirus programs do not ring the alarm. I tested it with virustotal.

I wouldn't bother buying a soundcard, unless your mboard is old. Having the ALC4080 with all the audio boost and being on a separate layer fromthe main pcb has changed onboard audio to be truly good.

That said, I bought a new Sound card (Creative AE-9) and Soundbar Samsung 700b Q series, because I wanted Atmos, DTS and all the other formats that only come out of HDMI .. So after using both my RTX 3080 Ti & onboard they worked great once you purchase Dolby Access and DTS in Windows 11 but you have to make it an extended screen. This bothered me.

So, I modified the rear of the sound card to have an HDMI 2.1 plug and now no dramas.

Tosnic

Gustavo, can you confirm this patch also works with the extracted files from the Realtek drvier installer .exe?
I do not know of a way to download the Realtek driver installer .zip file.

you must extract the executable 0007-64bit_Win7_Win8_Win81_Win10_R280.exe using Winrar or 7zip and generate the folder with the files, then you must go to the following address:
Code:
\0007-64bit_Win7_Win8_Win81_Win10_R280\WIN64
and patch the 2 files RltkAPO.dll and RltkAPO64.dll then you must Run the Setup.exe file to start the installation.
1681554806134.jpeg

1681554829600.jpeg

1681554851991.jpeg

1681554916786.jpeg

Hello @Gustavo Sicha I did like you said, but got this error! Tried with R2.80 and R2.82 same error . . . . . My mobo is TUF GAMING B660M-PLUS WIFI D4
Any advices for getting driver installed and working.
untiwqesdasdtled.JPG

Tosnic

Hello @Gustavo Sicha I did like you said, but got this error! Tried with R2.80 and R2.82 same error . . . . . My mobo is TUF GAMING B660M-PLUS WIFI D4
Any advices for getting driver installed and working.

I get this same error when I restart after initially removing the Realtek driver. If I try installing the patched driver during the same Windows session after removing the original driver, the patched driver installs without an error message.

@Gustavo Sicha : Thank you for elaborating. I would never have guessed extracting the .exe file like a ZIP.
Unfortunately, I still did not get Dolby Digital Live (or DTS) to show up:

Screenshot 2023-04-16 102823.jpg

Screenshot 2023-04-16 102841.jpg

Screenshot 2023-04-16 102945.jpg

I noticed that Windows lists the driver manufacturer as "Microsoft" with the patched driver installed.

I get this same error when I restart after initially removing the Realtek driver. If I try installing the patched driver during the same Windows session after removing the original driver, the patched driver installs without an error message.

@Gustavo Sicha : Thank you for elaborating. I would never have guessed extracting the .exe file like a ZIP.
Unfortunately, I still did not get Dolby Digital Live (or DTS) to show up:

View attachment 291797

View attachment 291798

View attachment 291799

I noticed that Windows lists the driver manufacturer as "Microsoft" with the patched driver installed.
I have tried with fresh windows install and got the same error?

Tosnic

I have tried with fresh windows install and got the same error?
@xDaemon : Did you? That question mark is quite confusing to me.

If you tried with fresh Windows install, I assume this patch only works with certain mobos. I may have the same mobo as you, xDaemon. I have the "MSI MAG B660M Mortar WIFI DDR4 So.1700 retail".