• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Well, build log, profession advancement... The works I guess!! :) Complete and Total Overkill part 3!!

Awesome!! That's all I have to say.

And I thought I was hoarding saving all my stuff from the 440BX days to now. If you want ancient hardware to tinker with let me know. I feel guilty letting this sit in my closet collecting dust.
View attachment 169741
That is a board from what was a very solid Dell system. No OC features, but rock solid. Upto 768MB of RAM too.

phill

Staff member
System Name Not so complete or overkill - There are others!! Just no room to put! :D
Processor Ryzen Threadripper 3970X
Motherboard Asus Zenith 2 Extreme Alpha
Cooling Lots!! Dual GTX 560 rads with D5 pumps for each rad. One rad for each component
Memory Viper Steel 4 x 16GB DDR4 3600MHz not sure on the timings... Probably still at 2667!! :(
Video Card(s) Asus Strix 3090 with front and rear active full cover water blocks
Storage I'm bound to forget something here - 250GB OS, 2 x 1TB NVME, 2 x 1TB SSD, 4TB SSD, 2 x 8TB HD etc...
Display(s) 3 x Dell 27" S2721DGFA @ 7680 x 1440P @ 144Hz or 165Hz - working on it!!
Case The big Thermaltake that looks like a Case Mods
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA 1600W T2
Mouse Corsair thingy
Keyboard Razer something or other....
VR HMD No headset yet
Software Windows 11 OS... Not a fan!!
Benchmark Scores I've actually never benched it!! Too busy with WCG and FAH and not gaming! :( :( Not OC'd it!! :(
@phill Are you going to OC that Xeon a bit?
No real need :) The PC will be mainly for ripping and converting, so we've given it a test today as I've managed to get it over to him..

His old PC for a blu ray conversion took 2.5 hours. Same film, 6 minutes 20 seconds :D

I'd say that's a bit of an improvement wouldn't you? :D

phill

Staff member
System Name Not so complete or overkill - There are others!! Just no room to put! :D
Cooling Lots!! Dual GTX 560 rads with D5 pumps for each rad. One rad for each component
Memory Viper Steel 4 x 16GB DDR4 3600MHz not sure on the timings... Probably still at 2667!! :(
Video Card(s) Asus Strix 3090 with front and rear active full cover water blocks
Storage I'm bound to forget something here - 250GB OS, 2 x 1TB NVME, 2 x 1TB SSD, 4TB SSD, 2 x 8TB HD etc...
Display(s) 3 x Dell 27" S2721DGFA @ 7680 x 1440P @ 144Hz or 165Hz - working on it!!
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Corsair thingy
VR HMD No headset yet
Benchmark Scores I've actually never benched it!! Too busy with WCG and FAH and not gaming! :( :( Not OC'd it!! :(
He needed it plus with what he's going through and what he helps me out with, it's the least I can do for him :) Plus the hardware was laying about doing nothing so... Job done!! :D

Said to him, we'll see if we can grab some newer Ryzen stuff and get them all working the same :D I think he was a little excited with that! :D :laugh:

System Name Alienware PC
Processor Intel 4790K
Motherboard ASROCK Z97 EXTREME4
Cooling Stock Intel Cooler
Memory 32GB DDR3 1600 MHz
Video Card(s) ATI Radeon HD 7770 2GB GDDR5
Storage SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2
Display(s) SAMSUNG UE57 Series 28-Inch 4K UHD
Case Alienware Area 51 Black Tower Case
Audio Device(s) Realtek On Board
Power Supply EVGA 850 watt
Mouse Microsoft Wireless
Keyboard HyperX - Alloy Elite 2 Mechanical Gaming Keyboard.
Software Windows 10 Pro & LTSB & LTSC Windows 11 Pro
Right, some update photo's for the few bits of kit around the house.....

View attachment 136045 View attachment 136046 View attachment 136047 View attachment 136048 View attachment 136049 View attachment 136050

View attachment 136051 View attachment 136052 View attachment 136053 View attachment 136054

Now as the crazy is out in the open (and still I may add a load more crazy to come if I'm honest...) with everything I have here, I intend on making the most of, especially the servers :) So, as it's been a bus weekend I'm hoping to get a few things sussed out in my head of what I'd like to use and do for the Domain Controller setup. I think I have another PSU spare floating around at the moment, so I should be fine for a little while..

Aside from the X99 rig I use everyday, I'd like to eventually swap that out, definitely will be AMD but I do look forward to finishing off my Intel collection as well. I'm still trying to track down the EVGA X99 Classified motherboard which hasn't gone so well so far... (if anyone knows of a complete retail packaged and near mint condition board with accessories please please please do let me know :)) I'm looking to try and get either the Classified or the X99 OCF board in the X9 case on my desk, had it for a while now and not even close to putting it in!! I'd like some new tubing at least for my build and possibly a new pump and res combination. It would also be great to grab a few other loops whilst I'm at it for various other builds but with no money, I have more important things to worry about first and foremost... (Sometimes I hate being a grown up!!)

So, here's a few pics to look through (I remembered thumbnails this time!!) whenever you fancy :) If anyone has any suggestions with regards to hardware for my DC, please let me know here :) Best get to bed now considering tomorrow will be a crappy day as I have to take my eldest daughter back to her Mum and we both don't particularly enjoy the drive or the doing it... Still, until next time :)
I love your setup. My dad was into CB and Ham radios back in the 50's and 60's, as a child of around 8-10 years old, I was fascinated by his little shop, he threw nothing away, especially back then when these radios run on tubes, and most used some of the same tubes. I picked up his torch with computers, and have been building them since the middle 80's. My problem is, I've run out of space now, so I looking at maybe buying either a 20' or 40' shipping container and moving my PC shop into one of those, I have a lot of property, but a very small home.

phill

Staff member
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Corsair thingy
VR HMD No headset yet
I love your setup. My dad was into CB and Ham radios back in the 50's and 60's, as a child of around 8-10 years old, I was fascinated by his little shop, he threw nothing away, especially back then when these radios run on tubes, and most used some of the same tubes. I picked up his torch with computers, and have been building them since the middle 80's. My problem is, I've run out of space now, so I looking at maybe buying either a 20' or 40' shipping container and moving my PC shop into one of those, I have a lot of property, but a very small home.
Thank you @Mr Bill :) Sometimes people can see either end of the spectrum, some appreciate it, some disapprove. It's the internet so there's always going to be someone that's bigger and better or that hates whatever you do, but I always say that if people don't like what they see in the thread, they can always go else where :D

I've a few more things to upload and lots to try and do, so whenever I can I will make sure this thread stays up to date :)

I enjoy my time at TPU and enjoy sharing my hobby and passion with like minded people, so have a check in here every once in a while, I'll try and make sure everything is as up to date as possible :D :D

System Name Alienware PC
Processor Intel 4790K
Mouse Microsoft Wireless
An older mobile home might work better. They can be had for cheap and would be much easier to get power to.
I thought about that, but we have a lot of storms/hurricanes on the coast here in Texas, I was thinking a shipping container might be pretty much storm proof. As for as power, I'm in the A/C and Heating business, and installed my own 200 amp service on the property, so getting air and heat and electrical into the container would be a breeze for me. :D

System Name Alienware PC
Processor Intel 4790K
Mouse Microsoft Wireless
Thank you @Mr Bill :) I enjoy my time at TPU and enjoy sharing my hobby and passion with like minded people.
This right here is what makes joining any forum really enjoyable. I like this one because folks post threads on everything from the Apple IIe, to the very latest hardware out today, it's like reading a book on the history of PC's where the book never ends. :D

I thought about that, but we have a lot of storms/hurricanes on the coast here in Texas, I was thinking a shipping container might be pretty much storm proof. As for as power, I'm in the A/C and Heating business, and installed my own 200 amp service on the property, so getting air and heat and electrical into the container would be a breeze for me. :D
Fair enough. It was only a thought.

I wouldn't bother w/ Net-App. Not my favorite gear... don't expect to find much under the hood.
No Supermicro?
I'd build some ZFS pools if you want to store data.
Looks like you're doing some interesting work, with an active group.
I'm not familiar with WCG, so I need to look around.

Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI B450 Tomahawk ATX
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition
Memory VENGEANCE LPX 2 x 16GB DDR4-3600 C18 OCed 3800
Video Card(s) XFX Speedster SWFT309 AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT CORE Gaming
Storage 970 EVO NVMe M.2 500 GB, 870 QVO 1 TB
Display(s) Samsung 28” 4K monitor
Case Phantek Eclipse P400S (PH-EC416PS)
Audio Device(s) EVGA NU Audio
Power Supply EVGA 850 BQ
Mouse SteelSeries Rival 310
Keyboard Logitech G G413 Silver
Software Windows 10 Professional 64-bit v22H2
System Name Desktop-TJ84TBK
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix B350-F Gaming
Cooling ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 120mm, Noctua NF-F12
Memory B-Die 2x8GB 3200 CL14, Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200 CL16, OC'd to 3333 MT/s C16-16-16-32 tRC 48
Video Card(s) PNY GTX 690
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB, MX500 500GB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Black 2TB, WD Caviar Green 3TB, Intel Optane 16GB
Display(s) Sceptre M25 1080p200, ASUS 1080p74, Apple Studio Display M7649 17"
Case Rosewill CRUISER Black Gaming
Audio Device(s) SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS GM-750
Mouse Kensington K72369
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow Ultimate 2013
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit, macOS 11.7.8
Benchmark Scores are good
Kinda curious - do you have any Kepler cards?
I can't make out individual model numbers.

phill

Staff member
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Corsair thingy
VR HMD No headset yet
Not yet no... I need to update the thread to be honest, but I think 6 and 7 series of cards I don't have. I know I've got some 780's coming to me but I need to go pick them up at some point...

System Name Nilin
Processor Ryzen 9 5800x
Motherboard Asus Rog Crosshair VIII Hero Wifi
Cooling Lian Li Galahad AIO 360
Memory G. Skill TridentZ Neo 32gb 3600Mhz CL16-16-16-36
Video Card(s) Asus TUF RTX 3080
Storage Samsung Evo 960 250gb (System), Samsung Evo 860 500gb (Misc), Samsung 990 Pro 1Tb (Games)
Display(s) LG 27" UHD IPS, LG Ultragear 27" WQHD Nano IPS
Case InWin 303 (7x Fractal Prisma 120mm)
Power Supply Tt Toughpower Grand RGB 850W
Mouse Razer Viper Ultimate
Keyboard SteelSeries Apex 3
Benchmark Scores https://www.3dmark.com/fs/21022952 (old system)

phill

Staff member
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Corsair thingy
VR HMD No headset yet
about time! :) some people are waiting for an update here! :laugh:
Damn! I never thought people actually looked at this thread!! :laugh: :laugh: I'll see what I can do :D

phill

Staff member
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Corsair thingy
VR HMD No headset yet
Well guys and gals, I've been trying to put this post together now for a while and thought since it's my 10,000th post, I thought I'd try and make it point full and a decent one (since I've no chance of that, I'm screwed :laugh: ) So we'll just make it up as I go along :)

I've a few thoughts that I was wondering on a few people's opinions and I have also been looking at sorting out my home server box that is my Synology or Xpenology as the case might be :) I'm a little bit tired so this might not be my best post of the day but... I'll do my best :)

So I have a couple of X370 boards that I use for crunching/folding/mining on (as they run WCG/FAH/Rosetta on etc.) and I'm just wondering about switching out a CPU or so for them... I've two Hreo 6 boards with 1700X's in them, they are crunching away pretty well, no issues whatsoever.. The thing was, I was considering a swap out with one of two CPUs... a 3900X or a 3950X since the Hero 6 board can't take the later 5 series CPUs.... The thing is, I already have a 3900X, I'm aiming to either put in a cruncher or do something with maybe a beefed up server.
So what might anyone do? Buy another 3900X and use that as a cruncher and use something else for a server or buy a pair of 3950X's for the two X370 boards??..... Penny for your thoughts guys....

I do have a Ryzen 2700 that I can swap out for the server, then I'd just need to buy another board and a few bits to get it all up and running.... Thoughts?? Depending on the OS etc. used for the server, I will consider running WCG or something on there to assist with my current support for the teams of TPU :)

I'll try and add up some new photos' as well to make it a little more pretty :) Apologies guys and gals, very tired it seems not going to make much more sense than normal; so I'll post here and do another update as soon as possible :)

Also regarding the change in job role I've had a few jobs show up, one I'm waiting for an email/phone call to go in for an interview... Hopefully soon :) WCG/FAH/Rosetta updates I'll do in the morning when I'm a little more awake lol
Thanks for reading guys, hopefully some more sleep and such in the morning, I might be able to string a sentence or two together a little better :)

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
I dont suppose you have any 4GB DDR2 SO-DIMMS in your Aladdin's cave do you?

System Name Not a thread ripper but pretty good.
Processor Ryzen 9 5950x
Motherboard ASRock X570 Taichi (revision 1.06, BIOS/UEFI version P5.50)
Cooling EK-Quantum Velocity, EK-Quantum Reflection PC-O11, EK-CoolStream PE 360, XSPC TX360
Memory Micron DDR4-3200 ECC Unbuffered Memory (4 sticks, 128GB, 18ASF4G72AZ-3G2F1)
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon RX 5700 & EK-Quantum Vector Radeon RX 5700 +XT & Backplate
Storage Samsung 2TB 980 PRO 2TB Gen4x4 NVMe, 2 x Samsung 2TB 970 EVO Plus Gen3x4 NVMe
Display(s) 2 x 4K LG 27UL600-W (and HUANUO Dual Monitor Mount)
Case Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic Black (original model)
Power Supply Corsair RM750x
Mouse Logitech M575
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2
Software Windows 10 Professional (64bit)
Benchmark Scores Typical for non-overclocked CPU.
Well guys and gals, I've been trying to put this post together now for a while and thought since it's my 10,000th post, I thought I'd try and make it point full and a decent one (since I've no chance of that, I'm screwed :laugh: ) So we'll just make it up as I go along :)

I've a few thoughts that I was wondering on a few people's opinions and I have also been looking at sorting out my home server box that is my Synology or Xpenology as the case might be :) I'm a little bit tired so this might not be my best post of the day but... I'll do my best :)

So I have a couple of X370 boards that I use for crunching/folding/mining on (as they run WCG/FAH/Rosetta on etc.) and I'm just wondering about switching out a CPU or so for them... I've two Hreo 6 boards with 1700X's in them, they are crunching away pretty well, no issues whatsoever.. The thing was, I was considering a swap out with one of two CPUs... a 3900X or a 3950X since the Hero 6 board can't take the later 5 series CPUs.... The thing is, I already have a 3900X, I'm aiming to either put in a cruncher or do something with maybe a beefed up server.
So what might anyone do? Buy another 3900X and use that as a cruncher and use something else for a server or buy a pair of 3950X's for the two X370 boards??..... Penny for your thoughts guys....

I do have a Ryzen 2700 that I can swap out for the server, then I'd just need to buy another board and a few bits to get it all up and running.... Thoughts?? Depending on the OS etc. used for the server, I will consider running WCG or something on there to assist with my current support for the teams of TPU :)

I'll try and add up some new photos' as well to make it a little more pretty :) Apologies guys and gals, very tired it seems not going to make much more sense than normal; so I'll post here and do another update as soon as possible :)

Also regarding the change in job role I've had a few jobs show up, one I'm waiting for an email/phone call to go in for an interview... Hopefully soon :) WCG/FAH/Rosetta updates I'll do in the morning when I'm a little more awake lol
Thanks for reading guys, hopefully some more sleep and such in the morning, I might be able to string a sentence or two together a little better :)
3950X's just because you might as well tap it out to the max for that generation of motherboard.

System Name Nilin
Processor Ryzen 9 5800x
Motherboard Asus Rog Crosshair VIII Hero Wifi
Cooling Lian Li Galahad AIO 360
Memory G. Skill TridentZ Neo 32gb 3600Mhz CL16-16-16-36
Video Card(s) Asus TUF RTX 3080
Storage Samsung Evo 960 250gb (System), Samsung Evo 860 500gb (Misc), Samsung 990 Pro 1Tb (Games)
Display(s) LG 27" UHD IPS, LG Ultragear 27" WQHD Nano IPS
Case InWin 303 (7x Fractal Prisma 120mm)
Power Supply Tt Toughpower Grand RGB 850W
Mouse Razer Viper Ultimate
Keyboard SteelSeries Apex 3
Benchmark Scores https://www.3dmark.com/fs/21022952 (old system)
Definitely a 3950x in the fray would be nice, even though 1700 is a great low TDP cpu there that sips power.
PPD wise its a no brainer, but power wise...especially when the sun is gone for You every year when season ends :laugh:

phill

Staff member
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Corsair thingy
VR HMD No headset yet
I dont suppose you have any 4GB DDR2 SO-DIMMS in your Aladdin's cave do you?
I don't think I do, I think the biggest I might have is a couple 2GB sticks if that... I'll see if I can find out for you :)
3950X's just because you might as well tap it out to the max for that generation of motherboard.
Definitely a 3950x in the fray would be nice, even though 1700 is a great low TDP cpu there that sips power.
PPD wise its a no brainer, but power wise...especially when the sun is gone for You every year when season ends :laugh:
I can see were you both are coming from, the only problem is paying for two more CPUs and then still 'having' to upgrade the other 4 or 5 motherboards I have when they get tipped for being end of life although I'm very impressed with the AM4 socket and AMD for keeping it around so long, it's been another 775 socket I think! :)

I'm toying with the idea of grabbing another 3900X and throwing those in the two X370 boards (helps keep my costs down!! :laugh: ) besides I can then try and get myself a few 5950X's to put in my X470/X570 boards.. I can always make use of the 2700 I have with a server project and then I'm not sure what I'd do with the pair of 1700X's I have and the 2700X I have but I'll come to that bridge when I come to it :)

I'm hoping to get a few bits of hardware sent over by my mate in the US soon and I have another mate who has some bits in the UK he would like to get rid of, so I'll have a day trip to go and pick that up... There might be a few more setups going on (WCG and hopefully FAH if I have enough spare GPUs!!) and hopefully some good news when it comes to a job too.... Just waiting on an interview date there...

Definitely need to start thinking/planning about a HomeServer upgrade for home... I'm even considering to use one of my Coolermaster Stacker cases, since those two beasts can fit in 16 hard drives, I have a feeling that should give me enough space for expansion and they are well, quite big (I think there's a few pics in the thread of them thinking about it!) so that'll be great to get them up and running again... Or one of them at least :)
Anyone got any thoughts on what they'd use for a server/storage type OS? I'm wondering about trying something new... the Synology has been great and it's a brilliant setup but I think it's time for something a little different I think :) It'll be nice to get it working with the phones in the house so it can backup to them as I have now, that's a really big plus for me :) Any suggestions? :)

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
I don't think I do, I think the biggest I might have is a couple 2GB sticks if that... I'll see if I can find out for you :)

Dont worry about it. I already have 2x2GB sticks. Was hoping you might of hoarded more :p:p

8GB kits cost stupid money and you cant really find pre-owned kits or single modules either so you have to pay the silly price that people ask for which is between £80-110.

I mean, f**k that, I could buy a pre-owned/refurbed Dell E6410 or E4310 for £135 and I already have enough ram in my possession to make an 8 or 16 GB set.

phill

Staff member
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Corsair thingy
VR HMD No headset yet
Dont worry about it. I already have 2x2GB sticks. Was hoping you might of hoarded more :p:p

8GB kits cost stupid money and you cant really find pre-owned kits or single modules either so you have to pay the silly price that people ask for which is between £80-110.

I mean, f**k that, I could buy a pre-owned/refurbed Dell E6410 or E4310 for £135 and I already have enough ram in my possession to make an 8 or 16 GB set.
I did look at the prices of them and I was stunned!! :laugh: Some people really know how to take the piss!! :D

Hugis

Staff member
System Name Office / Gamer Mk IV
Processor i5 - 12500
Motherboard TUF GAMING B660-PLUS WIFI D4
Cooling Themalright Peerless Assassin 120 RGB
Memory 32GB (2x16) Corsair CMK32GX4M2D3600C18 "micron B die"
Video Card(s) UHD770 / PNY 4060Ti (www.techpowerup.com/review/pny-geforce-rtx-4060-ti-verto)
Storage P41Plat - SN770 - 980Pro - BX500
Display(s) Philips 246E9Q 75Hz @ 1920 * 1080
Case Corsair Carbide 200R
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC897 (On Board)
Power Supply Cooler Master V750 Gold v2
Mouse Rii M01(3360Sensor)
Keyboard Logitech S530 - mac
Software Windows 11 Pro
Great thread @phill , your collection is super impressive and to say I'm quite jealous would be an under statement !
More updates !! :)