• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Which air cooler for a ryzen 9 5900x

I have a bunch of their iPPC fans, 3K.

Your interest ends at 1000rpm, that is fine, we are just two different types of users :)

So now I get it:

Imo Noctua fans are quiet because they aren’t exactly the strongest. Their strong fans are definitely not quiet lol.

But it wasn't obvious that you meant fans from higher speed category ;)

FWIW I've tried Noctua (case fans) several times (because of their "legendary quality") and I've been burned every single time. If there's one brand I don't actively consider at the moment for anything it's Noctua. Just my 2 cents.

I also tried a lot of things and was burned every single time, but mentioning it without explanation doesn't bring anything to the discussion ;)

Durvelle27

Staff member
System Name Black Prometheus
Processor |AMD Ryzen 7 1700X
Motherboard ASRock B550M Pro4|MSI X370 Gaming PLUS
Cooling Thermalright PA120 SE | AMD Stock Cooler
Memory G.Skill 64GB(2x32GB) 3200MHz | 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4
Video Card(s) |AMD R9 290
Storage Sandisk X300 512GB + WD Black 6TB+WD Black 6TB
Display(s) LG Nanocell85 49" 4K 120Hz + ACER AOPEN 34" 3440x1440 144Hz
Case DeepCool Matrexx 55 V3 w/ 6x120mm Intake + 3x120mm Exhaust
Audio Device(s) LG Dolby Atmos 5.1
Power Supply Corsair RMX850 Fully Modular| EVGA 750W G2
Mouse Logitech Trackman
Keyboard Logitech K350
Software Windows 10 EDU x64
I’ve used a Thermalright Peerless Assassin SE with no issues

System Name Main
Processor R7 5950x
Motherboard MSI x570S Unify-X Max
Cooling D5 clone, 280 rad, two F14 + three F12S bottom/intake, two P14S + F14S (Rad) + two F14 (top)
Memory 2x8 GB Corsair Vengeance bdie 3600@CL16 1.35v
Video Card(s) GB 2080S WaterForce WB
Storage six M.2 pcie gen 4
Display(s) Sony 50X90J
Case Tt Level 20 HT
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar AE, modded Sennheiser HD 558, Klipsch 2.1 THX
Power Supply Corsair RMx 750w
Mouse Logitech G903
Keyboard GSKILL Ripjaws
VR HMD NA
Software win 10 pro x64
Benchmark Scores TimeSpy score Fire Strike Ultra SuperPosition CB20
@#22
some chase lower temps, others chase fps.
at the end, we're not here to say stop (up to parents/partner, lol), the same way we dont tell our daughter/niece
that she cant have a pink bike, becasue it cost a little more/needs to be ordered vs the gray one (we like).
at least as long as its not us providing the funds..

@all
while i cant talk about noctua when it comes to coolers (briefly used a big one like +10y ago on a phenom),
but when i can get an arctic fan doing about ~10% less, able to get it throttled just by mb (no "adapter" needed),
with same or even longer warranty (where is 10y on their fans?) for 8-15$ a piece, im not wasting my money anymore.
some became noise within 1-2y (stay away from 5 packs), arctic provided free replacement, and since they started making black ones,
i can now match my case/hw.
and for the few coolers i used myself/other builds, they provided replacement/new socket mounts for cost of shipping every time.

freeagent

Staff member
Processor AMD R9 5900X
Motherboard Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
Cooling Thermalright Aqua Elite 360 V3 1x TL-B12, 2x TL-C12 Pro, 2x TL K12
Memory 2x8 G.Skill Trident Z Royal 3200C14, 2x8GB G.Skill Trident Z Black and White 3200 C14
Video Card(s) Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC
Storage WD SN850 1TB, SN850X 2TB, Asus Hyper M.2, 2x SN770 1TB
Display(s) LG 50UP7100
Case Fractal Torrent Compact RGB
Audio Device(s) JBL 2.1 Deep Bass
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 750w G+, Monster HDP1800
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Keyboard Logitech G213
VR HMD Oculus 3
Software Yes
Benchmark Scores Yes
But it wasn't obvious that you meant fans from higher speed category ;)
Their regular fans are not for me, their iPPC did interest me, they are loud but move some good air. The fans that came on my D14 were also loud and did not move much air. To me Noctua has always been a Thermalright wannabe, since their very first cooler was released. Yes yes they hide behind the guise of research and blah blah blah, I don’t buy it.

Their regular fans are not for me, their iPPC did interest me, they are loud but move some good air. The fans that came on my D14 were also loud and did not move much air. To me Noctua has always been a Thermalright wannabe, since their very first cooler was released. Yes yes they hide behind the guise of research and blah blah blah, I don’t buy it.

I'm pretty curious what is the best fan in highspeed category what I would consider typical 2000-3000 range, but in a little absurd here noise normalized comparison :D About TR and Noctua, TR was here first, but both were always on top of pc cooling with their counterparts scoring similarly, so I wouldn't call Noctua wannabe like it's something worse. Especially if we talk innovations and if I my memory is fine, Noctua was first to introduce dual tower design with D14. Design we can consider today as superior, both cooling and noise. On the other hand I'm not sure if it wasn't Noctua to borrow from TR (or maybe anybody other) TY-140 fan design which happened to be the one whole market was into for a decade. Due to both brands for all of these years doing really similar I admire both similarly, but I would like to see their products compared with some more detailed methodology like e.g. ones from hwcooling use. Then we could be sure if you are right with blah blah part ;)

System Name KHR-1
Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard ASRock B550 PG Velocita (UEFI-BIOS P3.40)
Memory 32 GB G.Skill RipJawsV F4-3200C16D-32GVR
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT
Storage Western Digital Black SN850 1 TB NVMe SSD
Display(s) Alienware AW3423DWF OLED-ASRock PG27Q15R2A (backup)
Case Corsair 275R
Audio Device(s) Technics SA-EX140 receiver with Polk VT60 speakers
Power Supply eVGA Supernova G3 750W
Mouse Logitech G Pro (Hero)
Software Windows 11 Pro x64 23H2
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Motherboard ASUS Prime X470-Pro
Cooling bequiet! Dark Rock Slim
Memory 64 GB ECC DDR4 2666 MHz (Samsung M391A2K43BB1-CTD)
Video Card(s) eVGA GTX 1080 SC Gaming, 8 GB
Storage 1 TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 1 TB Samsung 850 EVO, 4 TB Lexar NM790, 12 TB WD HDDs
Display(s) Acer Predator XB271HU
Case Corsair Obsidian 550D
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty
Power Supply Seasonic X-Series 560W
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Glorious GMMK
I also tried a lot of things and was burned every single time, but mentioning it without explanation doesn't bring anything to the discussion ;)
My comment was a counter comment to all those blindly recommending Noctua products "because". In my opinion Noctua doesn't provide nearly as good a product as people believe. Sure, they rank up there, but you can also get better for less if you're willing to look. As for me getting burned with the Noctua case fans I've bought it's a simple matter of inferior performance at an inflated price. I didn't even find them particularly quiet. What point is there in long lasting products if they underperform? "Hey, I just got these Noctua fans. They were super expensive and have a high build quality, but they perform like crap. At least they will last me a lifetime."

System Name Main
Processor R7 5950x
Cooling D5 clone, 280 rad, two F14 + three F12S bottom/intake, two P14S + F14S (Rad) + two F14 (top)
Display(s) Sony 50X90J
Case Tt Level 20 HT
Mouse Logitech G903
Keyboard GSKILL Ripjaws
VR HMD NA
Software win 10 pro x64
To me, they just dont really match the price/work/design "they" put in it, when comparing to others (fans only),
as in costing sometimes up to 2-3 times more, without being 2 times better.

like ppl think Ferrari is one of the best sport car brands, but their achievements 24h of Le Mans arent supporting it,
with Porsche/Audi having the most wins.
only at F1, where they can throw money at it, and i still contribute it a little more to the drivers, not the cars.

Processor ryzen 9 5900x
Motherboard MSI B550 a-pro
Cooling DeepCool LT520
Memory 2x16gb 3600mhz cl 16 corsair vengeance lpx
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 3060 WindForce OC
Storage 1x2tb KC3000 & 2tb samsung 970 evo plus, 2 x 2 tb external usb harddrives
Display(s) LG 32GP850, IIyama G2470HSU-B1
Case Corsair 5000D airflow tg
Audio Device(s) Yamaha R-N600A Triangle Esprit Titus Ez
Power Supply Corsair RM850X White
Mouse Logitech G PRO Superlight
Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB TKL Champion
Software Windows 11 64 bit, Free bitdefender
omg thats a long review, didn't have the patience to look how long it is before i diodn't wanna read it

I have a Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 - Black (think it was the only one stock or i just wanted to have it all black) i just want improve temps a little or im having + 60 c in the summer at low usage

2024-04-12 09_32_55-Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 - Black - CPU Luftkøler - Max 26 dBA – ...jpg

Must admit the cpu is smooth, everything is smooth, it doens't feel like a race car but it's doing it's job without any stutter or lag

One say The PS120SE functions very well for my 13600K. However, this heatsink seems to amplify the sound of any fan I put on it (as rear intake) at certain RPMs due to turbulence or resonance.
https://www.reddit.com/r/NR200/comments/13l1bkx
My 5900X is cool like a cucumber! I have yet to see 80C+. It spanks my 5800X, which was 80C+ easily!
PBO on ?

When the fans run at 1500ish rpm i don't think they are intrusive or super loud, but don't want higher rpm more noisy fans

If there where better fans i could get that unless it costs the same as the ps 120 (just a few euros above 40 euros) and don't give better perfomance than the ps 120

Last edited:
System Name Main
Processor R7 5950x
Display(s) Sony 50X90J
Case Tt Level 20 HT
Mouse Logitech G903
Keyboard GSKILL Ripjaws
VR HMD NA
Software win 10 pro x64
@gasoline
using PBO on auto is usually a waste similar to all core fixed oc,
unless you had luck in the silicon lottery and got a "golden" sample.

multiple 5800 and even my 5950 need max numbers those cheap can have (going by AMD numbers),
while perf same/worse than if its disabled, and thats on 3-400$ boards, so i know its not because of MB.

My comment was a counter comment to all those blindly recommending Noctua products "because". In my opinion Noctua doesn't provide nearly as good a product as people believe. Sure, they rank up there, but you can also get better for less if you're willing to look. As for me getting burned with the Noctua case fans I've bought it's a simple matter of inferior performance at an inflated price. I didn't even find them particularly quiet. What point is there in long lasting products if they underperform? "Hey, I just got these Noctua fans. They were super expensive and have a high build quality, but they perform like crap. At least they will last me a lifetime."

I don't recall anybody here blindly recommended Noctua products "because", so nonsense.

It's your secound comment not saying anything. No examples of products, no exact complaints and nothing to stand for your opinions. Just put whatever in place of Noctua to get the same no information.

And I remember you from the thread about Define R5 as you being the guy claiming that he always aims to buy everything possibly cheaply. If you can't afford better, it's totally fine, but if you can, it's terrible, because resulting in you building your environment with just garbage. What is not respecting yourself. It's hard to believe that somebody like you gave a chance Noctua's product and it's unfortunate that it dissapointed. But know that without examples it's hard to comment or even treat seriously what you say. E.g. they sell Redux fans, which are their ancient stuff, so bad performers in todays standards defending only with quality. Or know that given case fan will peform differently in various enclosures. Airflow wise, but also acoustics by showing noises coming from interacting with some element of given case. Even changing components inside this case may result in noticeable change of tone of case fans. It's great to suggest with performance numbers in normalized scenarios, but in reality you need to see for yourself and won't get universal point.

One say The PS120SE functions very well for my 13600K. However, this heatsink seems to amplify the sound of any fan I put on it (as rear intake) at certain RPMs due to turbulence or resonance.

This amplifying the sound, tone not noise, is what is the most important thing in terms of acoustics of cooling products. And it's what acoustic optimisation is all about. Some brands care more, some less. And sometimes such problems may be caused by interacting with other component, so it's worth to check.

D

Deleted member 239770

Thermalright Peerless Assassin SE
Scythe Fuma 2
EK 360 AIO BASIC.

On my 5800X3D all 3 were within 5 c of each other.

The biggest drop in temps come from optimizing cold air intake and a steady stream of hot leaving, which means non obstructive fan speeds.

Then applying aftermarket TIM to GPU and CPU.

PTM 7950 on the GPU dropped temps by 30C on the hotspot which is an insane gain compared to PK-3.

The CPU took well to PK-3 dropping temps by 10c compared to MX-4

Processor ryzen 9 5900x
Cooling DeepCool LT520
Storage 1x2tb KC3000 & 2tb samsung 970 evo plus, 2 x 2 tb external usb harddrives
I checked my bios, i have pbo on advanced so i can use curve optimizer -15, no cpu boost overdrive

I think avx makes my cpu hot + 80c when doing cinebench r23 (with intel i could lower it avx by 200-300mhz so that won't make my cpu hot,not shure with amd) occt it's in the 60's (no fan noise) which is a little strange even when hardware acceleration is disabled since i can easily get 60c with 20 or 30% cpu usage which is strange since 100% in occt is low 60's

I could do to the price, go for a z690 or z790 mb and a i5 12600kf (can return my ryzen) but every thread i5 12600k or ryzen 5 5900x say ryzen, in this video it uses less power and runs mabye 10c cooler

Last edited:
Storage 1 TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 1 TB Samsung 850 EVO, 4 TB Lexar NM790, 12 TB WD HDDs
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Glorious GMMK
I don't recall anybody here blindly recommended Noctua products "because", so nonsense.

It's your secound comment not saying anything. No examples of products, no exact complaints and nothing to stand for your opinions. Just put whatever in place of Noctua to get the same no information.

And I remember you from the thread about Define R5 as you being the guy claiming that he always aims to buy everything possibly cheaply. If you can't afford better, it's totally fine, but if you can, it's terrible, because resulting in you building your environment with just garbage. What is not respecting yourself. It's hard to believe that somebody like you gave a chance Noctua's product and it's unfortunate that it dissapointed. But know that without examples it's hard to comment or even treat seriously what you say. E.g. they sell Redux fans, which are their ancient stuff, so bad performers in todays standards defending only with quality. Or know that given case fan will peform differently in various enclosures. Airflow wise, but also acoustics by showing noises coming from interacting with some element of given case. Even changing components inside this case may result in noticeable change of tone of case fans. It's great to suggest with performance numbers in normalized scenarios, but in reality you need to see for yourself and won't get universal point.
And you're the guy pushing expensive stuff just because it's expensive. For some unfathomable reason it seems everything in your book is perfect as long as it is expensive. I buy parts based on their performance, not their price. And if I can get the parts I want or need cheaply, what is wrong with that? I did buy a Define R5, by the way, and I also bought Arctic P14 PWM PST CO fans. Shame on me!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 239770

Noctua are good for lower RPM airflow but are not the best at objective airflow, that goes to the likes of EK's Vardar.

In top end performance not caring about noise, Noctua is not the best.

Their build quality and performance / noise ratio though is good.

I am decked out in Noctua fans, they are overrated by those who think they are the best in all applications.

System Name Main
Processor R7 5950x
Display(s) Sony 50X90J
Case Tt Level 20 HT
Mouse Logitech G903
Keyboard GSKILL Ripjaws
VR HMD NA
Software win 10 pro x64
@azrael
why the CO?
those are for equipment running 24/7, and are louder because of BB, trading life for "noise".

Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Cooling Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE
Memory 2x16 GB Crucial Ballistix 3600 CL16 Rev E @ 3800 CL16
Video Card(s) RTX3080 Ti FE
Storage SX8200 Pro 1 TB, Plextor M6Pro 256 GB, WD Blue 2TB
Display(s) LG 34GN850P-B
Case SilverStone Primera PM01 RGB
Audio Device(s) SoundBlaster G6 | Fidelio X2 | Sennheiser 6XX
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 750W
Mouse Endgame Gear XM1R
Keyboard Wooting Two HE
omg thats a long review, didn't have the patience to look how long it is before i diodn't wanna read it

I have a Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 - Black (think it was the only one stock or i just wanted to have it all black) i just want improve temps a little or im having + 60 c in the summer at low usage

View attachment 343143

Must admit the cpu is smooth, everything is smooth, it doens't feel like a race car but it's doing it's job without any stutter or lag

https://www.reddit.com/r/NR200/comments/13l1bkx

PBO on ?

When the fans run at 1500ish rpm i don't think they are intrusive or super loud, but don't want higher rpm more noisy fans

If there where better fans i could get that unless it costs the same as the ps 120 (just a few euros above 40 euros) and don't give better perfomance than the ps 120
You're running your fans at around 40% based on the RPM shown. Are you using any fan curves for the CPU? How many intake and exhaust fans do you have and at what speed you're running them?

Processor ryzen 9 5900x
Cooling DeepCool LT520
1 exhaust 120mm, 2x 120mm side blowing across my mb and one 140mm in the middle in the front

I don't wanna have them running at high rpm when the temps are not high

Corsair 5000d airflow tg

Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Glorious GMMK
@azrael
why the CO?
those are for equipment running 24/7, and are louder because of BB, trading life for "noise".
I got inspired by Aris from HW Busters. He liked the CO version better than the regular one and even found it a bit quieter. If they turn out to be duds it won't have set me back very much with regard to cash.

Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Cooling Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE
Memory 2x16 GB Crucial Ballistix 3600 CL16 Rev E @ 3800 CL16
Video Card(s) RTX3080 Ti FE
Storage SX8200 Pro 1 TB, Plextor M6Pro 256 GB, WD Blue 2TB
Display(s) LG 34GN850P-B
Case SilverStone Primera PM01 RGB
Audio Device(s) SoundBlaster G6 | Fidelio X2 | Sennheiser 6XX
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 750W
Mouse Endgame Gear XM1R
Keyboard Wooting Two HE
1 exhaust 120mm, 2x 120mm side blowing across my mb and one 140mm in the middle in the front

I don't wanna have them running at high rpm when the temps are not high

Corsair 5000d airflow tg
Well there you have it, fix your airflow.

Move side 120's to the front, replace 140 with another 120.

Processor ryzen 9 5900x
Cooling DeepCool LT520
Well there you have it, fix your airflow.

Move side 120's to the front, replace 140 with another 120i wanna

I wanna have 1 or 2 fans in the side 1-3 in the front is possible

I wanna have 1 or 2 fans in the side, 1-3 in the front is possible 280 mm in the front is also possible

5000d-and-airflow-rad-cap-120-mobile[1].png

I use the side panel

corsair-5000d-airflow-pc-kabinet-atx-hvid-3-big.jpg

System Name Main
Processor R7 5950x
Display(s) Sony 50X90J
Case Tt Level 20 HT
Mouse Logitech G903
Keyboard GSKILL Ripjaws
VR HMD NA
Software win 10 pro x64
@gasolin
i would populate all spots, front/top/rear 140s, side 120/140, and bottom if its possible.
using 140 where possible, 2 of those usually "quieter" than 3x120s
you can run the side/bottom at fixed (low) rpm, just to have air coming in,
and helping with moving air.

i had cases without mount on bottom, but never trouble mounted some with hot glue on the corners of the frame.
its better to have all running at 10-20%, than a couple at 50%.

Processor ryzen 9 5900x
Cooling DeepCool LT520
won't use the top since the airflow of my air cooler goes across the case horizontal and the top fans would have vertical airflow, like a car being pushed to the side on a brigde, i just think they would interfere with the airflow from my cpu cooler

And you're the guy pushing expensive stuff just because it's expensive. For some unfathomable reason it seems everything in your book is perfect as long as it is expensive. I buy parts based on their performance, not their price. And if I can get the parts I want or need cheaply, what is wrong with that? I did buy a Define R5, by the way, and I also bought Arctic P14 PWM PST CO fans. Shame on me!

I'm far from being like that, because I clearly explain my opinions and give examples. Exactly opposite to you, as we can see even in this thread, and now we add seeing people how you like to see them what is lying to yourself or just lacking.

Funny thing with Define cases is, and what I rather didn't mention in your thread, I personally chose Define 7 over R5. Close to it's launch when price difference was even bigger than today. Because I found 7 noticeably better in few important to me ways. On the other hand, since 7's launch I have strong tendency of choosing R5 over 7 when building for others. When budget is tight, that's the first thing to cut, because R5 is already good and owners tend to be from the kind less likely to experience the differences. I know both cases by heart. I'm happy to use 7 for over four years, appreciate it serving better all of this time and from expected long term perspective I then found price premium it came with meaningless. To me it wasn't worth to save it and get worse case.

With Arctics, comeback when some start rattling or irritate you acoustically. It probably will, but you won't ;) If we talk about me, when I add fans to R5, I tend to place decent original ones to the front and add one Shadow Wings 2 140mm to the back. Not expensive, but nicely performing, with quality to last and working great with built-in fan controller Average Joes prefer to use. If we talk about my own fans, I cost-wise downgraded from Silent Wings 3 140mm to Scythe Kaze Flex 140mm. I don't know their prices in euros, but in Polish Złotys it was going from 100 PLN to 70 PLN fan, so once again we see how much worth are your words ;)