• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Now that W10 is out, are you a W7 / W8 refusenik?

Now that W10 is out, are you a W7/W8 refusenik?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

HTC

System Name HTC's System
Processor Ryzen 5 5800X3D
Motherboard Asrock Taichi X370
Cooling NH-C14, with the AM4 mounting kit
Memory G.Skill Kit 16GB DDR4 F4 - 3200 C16D - 16 GTZB
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 6600 8 GB
Storage 1 Samsung NVMe 960 EVO 250 GB + 1 3.5" Seagate IronWolf Pro 6TB 7200RPM 256MB SATA III
Display(s) LG 27UD58
Case Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair TX 850M 80+ Gold
Mouse Razer Deathadder Elite
Software Ubuntu 20.04.6 LTS
Did you close it/end the process?

iirc the program can't be running when you uninstall it.

No difference: i get the same error regardless of whether or not the process is running :(

Then why create another recovery partitions if there is already one for the same task?
It's not a recovery partition, it's the boot partition, but can hold recovery tools . The way it's used and the size depends how the OS is installed and disk type.

On legacy MBR disks a separate partition isn't required, hence the 100mb in W7 could usually be merged with the OS partition,.

But if the OS is installed in UEFI mode on a GPT it must be separated, because that partition is the "FI" part of UEFI. Aka the interface between the OS and the motherboard/hardware..

The disk is read during post to determine the format. If UEFI the bios passes over control to the EFI system partition, then the OS is booted. .

Also why TPM and bitlocker are such a PITA on UEFI installs. Particularly TPM.

Last edited:
Processor Intel Core i3-8100
Motherboard ASRock H370 Pro4
Cooling Cryorig M9i
Memory 16GB G.Skill Aegis DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 WindForce OC 3GB
Storage Crucial MX500 512GB SSD
Display(s) Dell S2316M LCD
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black Pearl
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC892
Power Supply Corsair CX600M
Mouse Logitech M500
Keyboard Lenovo KB1021 USB
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
Nah it's the same system reserved partition that W7 has, only bigger.

No, it isn't the same partition as in Windows 7. Under Windows 10, my test machine still has a 100MB System Reserved partition, in addition to the 449MB unlabeled partition. System Reserved holds the boot and repair utilities. The bigger, unlabeled partition is WinRE (Windows Recovery Environment):

What's new with WinRE for Windows 10?

By default, if you install Windows using media created from Windows Imaging and Configuration Designer (ICD), you'll get a dedicated WinRE tools partition on both UEFI and BIOS-based devices, located immediately after the Windows partition. This allows Windows to replace and resize the partition as needed.

WinRE includes these tools:​
  • Automatic repair and other troubleshooting tools.
  • Push-button reset (Windows 10 for desktop editions, Windows 8.1, and Windows 8 only). This tool enables your users to repair their own PCs quickly while preserving their data and important customizations, without having to back up data in advance.

Last edited:
No, it isn't the same partition as in Windows 7. Under Windows 10, my test machine still has a 100MB System Reserved partition, in addition to the 449MB unlabeled partition. System Reserved holds the boot and repair utilities. The bigger, unlabeled partition is WinRE (Windows Recovery Environment):

What's new with WinRE for Windows 10?

By default, if you install Windows using media created from Windows Imaging and Configuration Designer (ICD), you'll get a dedicated WinRE tools partition on both UEFI and BIOS-based devices, located immediately after the Windows partition. This allows Windows to replace and resize the partition as needed.

WinRE includes these tools:​
  • Automatic repair and other troubleshooting tools.
  • Push-button reset (Windows 10 for desktop editions, Windows 8.1, and Windows 8 only). This tool enables your users to repair their own PCs quickly while preserving their data and important customizations, without having to back up data in advance.
You must have an OEM version then because separate Recovery partitions are only found on preinstalled systems.. I thought he was talking about the EFI partition which is 500mb.

Otherwise the recovery image is on the OS partition, in a hidden folder called recovery.

How did you do the install?

Last edited:
He probably did a clean install. Windows creates this layout by default.
Can u explain then why I have never seen a Recovery Partition on any build I've ever tested since 2014? Is it maybe because it's only present on OEM versions as I said?

Maybe this screenshot from Microsoft will help. :)

Btw, welcome to my ignore list. ;)

Mate really, don't you have anything better to do but follow me around the internet. Jeez...

Last edited:

squeezehat

As stated, this is the WinRE partition, and has nothing to do with the recovery partition that comes with oem computers. Try clean installing on a gpt drive... you'll notice it.

As stated, this is the WinRE partition, and has nothing to do with the recovery partition that comes with oem computers. Try clean installing on a gpt drive... you'll notice it.
Winre image is keep in a hidden folder on the OS drive. There is no separate "win.re partition." As always you're talking out your ass Gammelhat.

Can u please stop stalking me, it's getting to the creepy stage.

Gammellhat, it seems I may have to man up and eat humble pie. :D

The winre partition isn't usually created on W10 retail, recovery is loaded into the system partition, but a separate partition can be created if some conditions are met on GPT disks in UEFI mode.

One is if a system partition doesn't exist, another is if the disk is quick formatted during install when an old partition already exists on the drive. Another is if there is a system partition but it's too small for the wim.

So prob doing a clean install on a MBR without formatting is the best way. Or making sure no other system partitions are on a GPT disk. But if it's not a clean install the win re can be transferred over from upgrades.

So that was def my bad. You're still on my ignore list though :p

System Name HIGH-PC
Processor Intel Core i5 2500K
Motherboard MSI P67A-GD65
Cooling CoolerMaster 212+
Memory 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz
Video Card(s) HIS 6950 2GB
Storage M4 128GB + Western Digital 320GB
Display(s) ASUS VH242H
Case NZXT M59
Power Supply Corsair 750W
Software Windows 7 Ultimate x64
I will wait, like one year or so

I really dont like the touch design of the W10

HTC

System Name HTC's System
Storage 1 Samsung NVMe 960 EVO 250 GB + 1 3.5" Seagate IronWolf Pro 6TB 7200RPM 256MB SATA III
Display(s) LG 27UD58
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Try running the Windows update Troubleshooter, to see if it will fix the problem.

Still can't uninstall the damn update but it seems this is preventing it from popping up: will know for sure next time i restart my system (can't right now).

System Name micropage7
Processor Intel Xeon X3470
Motherboard Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. P55A-UD3R (Socket 1156)
Cooling Enermax ETS-T40F
Memory Samsung 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3
Video Card(s) NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800
Storage V-GEN03AS18EU120GB, Seagate 2 x 1TB and Seagate 4TB
Display(s) Samsung 21 inch LCD Wide Screen
Case Icute Super 18
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte
Power Supply Silverstone 600 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Sades Excalibur + Taihao keycaps
Software Win 7 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Classified
I will wait, like one year or so

I really dont like the touch design of the W10
so do i
thats why i hate win 8, MS should put alternative interface for touch and for standard desktop

now, win 10 MS i think do the same again like win 8, although this OS has a potential, i dont like MS like push their customer to follow their rules like with paying for some features, that updates

i may give it some months before thinking of it as my new OS

for now im pretty happy with 7

Processor i7-9700
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 AORUS PRO
Memory 32GB DDR4
Video Card(s) msi 1080
Storage Samsung SSD 850 pro 2TB+1tb hdd 7200rpm+ 1tb 970pro
Software Mageia 6 + Windows 10
System Name micropage7
Cooling Enermax ETS-T40F
Case Icute Super 18
Mouse Logitech G502
Software Win 7 64-bit
System Name micropage7
Cooling Enermax ETS-T40F
Case Icute Super 18
Mouse Logitech G502
Software Win 7 64-bit
Processor i7-9700
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 AORUS PRO
Memory 32GB DDR4
Video Card(s) msi 1080
Storage Samsung SSD 850 pro 2TB+1tb hdd 7200rpm+ 1tb 970pro
Software Mageia 6 + Windows 10
I see too much to not belive, what I find a bad thing, it is that they(M$, gov, NSA, CIA...) don't cover up anymore this abuse, it even write in plain, or they don't care about our power as clients/people or the truth it so wrong and bad under the hood, that all we see now look like a joke for them, in any case we lost this round...

Processor Intel Core i3-8100
Motherboard ASRock H370 Pro4
Cooling Cryorig M9i
Memory 16GB G.Skill Aegis DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 WindForce OC 3GB
Storage Crucial MX500 512GB SSD
Display(s) Dell S2316M LCD
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black Pearl
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC892
Power Supply Corsair CX600M
Mouse Logitech M500
Keyboard Lenovo KB1021 USB
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
You must have an OEM version then because separate Recovery partitions are only found on preinstalled systems.. I thought he was talking about the EFI partition which is 500mb.

Otherwise the recovery image is on the OS partition, in a hidden folder called recovery.

How did you do the install?

My test machine was running Windows 7 Pro x64, retail version. I downloaded Windows 10 Pro using Microsoft's Media Creation Tool, burned it to disc, and then upgraded from there. The installer shrunk my C: partition to make room for the WinRE partition. There are now 3 partitions on the 160GB hard drive:

100MB -- System Reserved
148.47GB -- C:
449MB -- WinRE​

In Windows 7, there were only 2 partitions: System Reserved and C:. Also, the C: partition is MBR, and the boot configuration is Legacy, not UEFI.

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
All I know is MS is using high-pressure tactics, and I feel sorry for people not as savvy as a lot of tech-forum members. I've gotten two popups in two days, with Microsoft telling me "Microsoft recommends Windows 10", and below it "You only have a limited time to upgrade." Um, technically, yes....if you can call 320-something days left "limited."

HTC

System Name HTC's System
Display(s) LG 27UD58
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Still can't uninstall the damn update but it seems this is preventing it from popping up: will know for sure next time i restart my system (can't right now).

It doesn't come up in updates anymore BUT in systray, the program always nags me to upgrade ...

Still, another update just became available and, when i selected it and hit download, it states "downloading windows 10". @ least it's just what it says and not what it does: downloaded the 3.3 MB update only.

95Viper

Super Moderator
Staff member
It doesn't come up in updates anymore BUT in systray, the program always nags me to upgrade ...

Still, another update just became available and, when i selected it and hit download, it states "downloading windows 10". @ least it's just what it says and not what it does: downloaded the 3.3 MB update only.

Show your hidden files and folder in the file and folder options...
On your c: drive do you have ~WS and/or a ~BT folders?

HTC

System Name HTC's System
Display(s) LG 27UD58
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Show your hidden files and folder in the file and folder options...
On your c: drive do you have ~WS and/or a ~BT folders?

Tried uninstalling the damned update (the GWX one) with "show hidden files and folders" but it fails to uninstall ... again ... still ...

I have a "$windows.~BT" folder in C drive: what am i supposed to do with that folder? Delete it?

95Viper

Super Moderator
Staff member
Tried uninstalling the damned update (the GWX one) with "show hidden files and folders" but it fails to uninstall ... again ... still ...

I have a "$windows.~BT" folder in C drive: what am i supposed to do with that folder? Delete it?

Yes, you can delete it, if you are not upgrading to 10... however, it may come back, if you can't stop the windows 10 upgrade kb update .
That folder contains the upgrade files for Windows 10.

I found this info at MakeUseOf, "How To Get Rid of Windows 10..." article:

Remove a Windows Update, Kill the Upgrade Notification
The notification came via a Windows Update, so why not remove the update?

Uninstalling a Windows Update is surprisingly easy, as long as you know its name. This update is called KB3035583 so we can use the command line to delete it with a single command. Begin by opening the Command Prompt with Administrator privileges (right-click the Command Prompt icon and select Run as administrator) and enter

WUSA /UNINSTALL /KB:3035583

Follow the on-screen prompts, and when complete type exit to close Command Prompt.

Use “I Don’t Want Windows 10″
Free for users of Windows 7 and Windows 8.x, I Don’t Want Windows 10 removes notifications of the coming upgrade. It doesn’t prevent you from installing the upgrade.

It works by automatically removing the KB3035583 update from Microsoft, so is in effect a “clean” version of the previous fix. After downloading the I_Dont_Want_Windows_10.zip file, unzip the contents and run I Don’t Want Windows 10.exe. The utility will warn you of a few things (such as it isn’t a Microsoft patch, and that you use it at your own risk) and you’ll need to click I Agree to continue.

With the patch applied, restart Windows to enjoy life without the upgrade notification for Windows 10.

Status
Not open for further replies.