• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AZIO MK Retro Keyboard

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
The MK Retro is AZIO's take on the humble typewriter modernized to the mechanical keyboard experience. Featuring unique aesthetics, pillar-style feet, and two color options to choose from, it aims to introduce some much needed style to the sub-$100 keyboard market.

Show full review

Last edited by a moderator:

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI (Soon to be retired)
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G502 X
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
If your wife was as ugly as this keyboard you'd throw her off a bridge.

Great Review Brosephio! :toast:

But honestly, real old fashioned stuff like this gives me the absolute creeps man, even in simulation. I couldn't sleep in the same house with that AZIO retro keyboard, it would haunt my otherwise pleasant dreamscape. But then I never finished watching The Exorcist or the Freddy Krueger films (even the made for TV versions), had to walk out of the theater or change the channel every single time. As a child, I hid behind the Layzboy watching the Wizard of OZ.

"Monkey's aren't supposed to fly, are they mom?" :eek:

But for those enthusiasts with a much stronger constitution than my own, there are many other greater more indulgent retro-option peripheral skus just waiting to carry your merciful soul straight down to hell without passing GO. OK, that was a bit over the top, sorry can't help it, I'm the type that runs out of antique stores flailing my arms over my head and screaming, dark wooden night stands scare the bageezes out of me, especially when there's two of them.

Behold, the DataMancer in the flesh!

https://datamancer.com/

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
If your wife was as ugly as this keyboard you'd throw her off a bridge.

I kinda like it myself, but of course I can see why others would not. The Datamancers that iBruce linked are an extreme version, and the originals, of this which are more one-off art pieces with than anything else. No two keyboard bodies of those are 100% identical, and so it comes down to how much are you willing to pay for relatively unique aesthetics of a keyboard. For most, the maximum they would spend would be in the $100 range and that is where AZIO comes in.

System Name AlderLake
Processor Intel i7 12700K P-Cores @ 5Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A 2 fans + Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Extreme + 5 case fans
Memory 32GB DDR5 Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 6000MT/s CL36
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Evo 500GB + 850 Pro 512GB + 860 Evo 1TB x2
Display(s) 23.8" Dell S2417DG 165Hz G-Sync 1440p
Case Be quiet! Silent Base 600 - Window
Audio Device(s) Panasonic SA-PMX94 / Realtek onboard + B&O speaker system / Harman Kardon Go + Play / Logitech G533
Power Supply Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 750W
Mouse Logitech MX Anywhere 2 Laser wireless
Keyboard RAPOO E9270P Black 5GHz wireless
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 (Single Core) 1936 @ stock Cinebench R23 (Multi Core) 23006 @ stock
Ouch, not for me then...That clicking noise!!....:p

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name White DJ in Detroit
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
This is actually one keyboard I could see myself buy, even for that price.

But as with all mechanical keyboards, it rattles, especially the space key. I couldn't live with that rattle, and I've yet to come across a mechanical keyboard I could live with. I just stick to my trusty Dell chunky style keyboards.

System Name Lenovo ThinkCentre
Processor AMD 5650GE
Motherboard Lenovo
Memory 32 GB DDR4
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Mouse Lenovo
Keyboard Lenovo
Software W11 Pro 64 bit

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
This is actually one keyboard I could see myself buy, even for that price.

But as with all mechanical keyboards, it rattles, especially the space key. I couldn't live with that rattle, and I've yet to come across a mechanical keyboard I could live with. I just stick to my trusty Dell chunky style keyboards.

The rattle is easy enough to fix if you are willing to spend some time. Take a thin strip of paper and place under the stabilizers on either end of the space bar switch to lower lateral movement. Alternatively, there are some keyboards with a more secure space bar that minimizes the rattle noise, such as the Bloody B840 I first wrote about here late last December.

Those mods, wow.. just wow. I wouldnt want it for using, but oh my thats nice to look at.

Great Review Brosephio! :toast:

But honestly, real old fashioned stuff like this gives me the absolute creeps man, even in simulation. I couldn't sleep in the same house with that AZIO retro keyboard, it would haunt my otherwise pleasant dreamscape. But then I never finished watching The Exorcist or the Freddy Krueger films (even the made for TV versions), had to walk out of the theater or change the channel every single time. As a child, I hid behind the Layzboy watching the Wizard of OZ.

"Monkey's aren't supposed to fly, are they mom?" :eek:

But for those enthusiasts with a much stronger constitution than my own, there are many other greater more indulgent retro-option peripheral skus just waiting to carry your merciful soul straight down to hell without passing GO. OK, that was a bit over the top, sorry can't help it, I'm the type that runs out of antique stores flailing my arms over my head and screaming, dark wooden night stands scare the bageezes out of me, especially when there's two of them.

Behold, the DataMancer in the flesh!

https://datamancer.com/