• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Battlefield V with GeForce RTX DirectX Raytracing

HTC

System Name HTC's System
Processor Ryzen 5 5800X3D
Motherboard Asrock Taichi X370
Cooling NH-C14, with the AM4 mounting kit
Memory G.Skill Kit 16GB DDR4 F4 - 3200 C16D - 16 GTZB
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 6600 8 GB
Storage 1 Samsung NVMe 960 EVO 250 GB + 1 3.5" Seagate IronWolf Pro 6TB 7200RPM 256MB SATA III
Display(s) LG 27UD58
Case Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair TX 850M 80+ Gold
Mouse Razer Deathadder Elite
Software Ubuntu 20.04.6 LTS
That part is coming, but still some ways away. Even AMD isn't going "chiplet" GPU anytime soon, though if I'd have to guess I'd say Nvidia, with their extra cash, will deploy something like that first.

AMD’s Navi will be a traditional monolithic GPU, not a multi-chip module

I didn't mean it in an MCM type of way: i meant it as a full card. Think of it as a 2nd GPU, that has no display options and it's sole purpose is to enable RT with the primary GPU.

Ofc nVidia being nVidia would make sure such a card would only work with nVidia primary GPUs ...

I didn't mean it in an MCM type of way: i meant it as a full card. Think of it as a 2nd GPU, that has no display options and it's sole purpose is to enable RT with the primary GPU.

Ofc nVidia being nVidia would make sure such a card would only work with nVidia primary GPUs ...
Such accelerators, if you can call them that, will be more common yes.

Nvidia's bread & butter is GPU, they'll make every effort to make sure their solutions are less open than they can be.

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Processor Core i9-9900k
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax ETS-T50 Black CPU cooler
Memory 32GB (2x16) Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) ASUS RTX 4070 Ti Super OC 16GB
Storage 1x 1TB MX500 (OS); 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 2TB MX500; 1x 1TB BX500 SSD; 1x 6TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) Infievo 27" 165Hz @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-1000 Gold
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
i dont blame the plebs for not being able to afford it.. i do blame them for knocking it just because they cant afford it.
Get off your epeen-ed high horse. No one is knocking it because they can't afford it. I bought my 1080Ti after these came out and I am plenty happy, just like @INSTG8R is happy with his purchase. It's actually possible to have a negative view of something and it not be about envy. The only ones who talk about envy are the ones that have more money than they know what to do with and like to brag.

To be honest, if someone purchase a flagship like 2080ti for gaming, they either play on 4K or high refesh rate monitors. It is safe to say RT is utterly useless for them.

I myself bought some for those tensor cores, and might pull off a BF 5 run @1080p on the machine learning workstation in my lab. Maybe people like me are the target audience of RT :p

System Name HAL
Processor Core i5 2500K
Motherboard Asus P8P67 Pro Rev3.1
Cooling stock
Memory 2x4GB Kingston 1600Mhz Blu
Video Card(s) Asus 560Ti DirectCuII TOP
Storage Kingston 120 3K SSD,WD Black WD1502FAEX
Display(s) LG 1440x900
Case Chieftec Mesh Midi
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Corsair TX750V2
Software w8
Wizzard please comparison on 6 core 9600K vs 8700 vs 2700x on multiplayer ?

INSTG8R

Vanguard Beta Tester
System Name Hellbox 5.1(same case new guts)
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard MSI X570S MAG Torpedo Max
Cooling TT Kandalf L.C.S.(Water/Air)EK Velocity CPU Block/Noctua EK Quantum DDC Pump/Res
Memory 2x16GB Gskill Trident Neo Z 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Powercolor Hellhound 7900XTX
Storage 970 Evo Plus 500GB 2xSamsung 850 Evo 500GB RAID 0 1TB WD Blue Corsair MP600 Core 2TB
Display(s) Alienware QD-OLED 34” 3440x1440 144hz 10Bit VESA HDR 400
Case TT Kandalf L.C.S.
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster ZX/Logitech Z906 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic TX~’850 Platinum
Mouse G502 Hero
Keyboard G19s
VR HMD Oculus Quest 3
Software Win 11 Pro x64
Again, what I think doesn't matter. This card clearly is not made for YOU or for others with budgets in mind. Why do you care so much how other people spend their money?
Why is it you even think this has anything to do with others peoples choices or mine ? YOU made it about that. It has to do with NVIDIA hyping up a card priced higher than ever for its tier with the promise RTRT and not delivering anything close to worthwhile experience or performance. That’s what I care about.

I’ll say this one more time slow for you. I’m very happy with my Vega my 1440 144hz Freesync monitor with HDR. All my tech works as advertised doesn’t kill my performance and was all priced reasonably.

I feel sorry for people like you who are apologists for poor products and try to twist it about budgets or my needs Nvidia like# people like you and will continue to charge premium prices as people like you will find some way to justify getting screwed
@trog I’m glad you’re happy with your purchase and that is wasn’t base-on RTRT capability at least you’re not like Rhino trying to justify your purchase but trust me nobody’s jealous.

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Motherboard AsRock B760M Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Memory 4x 16 Gb Gskill S5 DDR5 @6000
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC 6750 XT 12GB
Storage WD_BLACK 4TB SN850x
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Case Corsair Carbide 400C
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 650 P2
Mouse MX Master 3s
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless Clicky
Software The Matrix
Why is it you even think this has anything to do with others peoples choices or mine ? YOU made it about that. It has to do with NVIDIA hyping up a card priced higher than ever for its tier with the promise RTRT and not delivering anything close to worthwhile experience or performance. That’s what I care about.

I’ll say this one more time slow for you. I’m very happy with my Vega my 1440 144hz Freesync monitor with HDR. All my tech works as advertised doesn’t kill my performance and was all priced reasonably.

I feel sorry for people like you who are apologists for poor products and try to twist it about budgets or my needs Nvidia like# people like you and will continue to charge premium prices as people like you will find some way to justify getting screwed
@trog I’m glad you’re happy with your purchase and that is wasn’t base-on RTRT capability at least you’re not like Rhino trying to justify your purchase but trust me nobody’s jealous.

I am sorry if you are taking this personally. I am doing my best to demonstrate just the opposite. You don't think it is a worthwhile experience therefore this card is not for YOU. Isn't that okay? Isn't it okay if someone enjoys spending that kind of money for ray tracing? Why are YOU the judge and jury on what a worthwhile experience is?

INSTG8R

Vanguard Beta Tester
Cooling TT Kandalf L.C.S.(Water/Air)EK Velocity CPU Block/Noctua EK Quantum DDC Pump/Res
Storage 970 Evo Plus 500GB 2xSamsung 850 Evo 500GB RAID 0 1TB WD Blue Corsair MP600 Core 2TB
Case TT Kandalf L.C.S.
Mouse G502 Hero
Keyboard G19s
VR HMD Oculus Quest 3
Software Win 11 Pro x64
I am sorry if you are taking this personally. I am doing my best to demonstrate just the opposite. You don't think it is a worthwhile experience therefore this card is not for YOU. Isn't that okay? Isn't it okay if someone enjoys spending that kind of money for ray tracing? Why are YOU the judge and jury on what a worthwhile experience is?
No it’s not okay you’re passive aggressively trolling at this point. I’m not judge and jury the benchmarks are that is what I’m railing against. You re making it personal and you should really stop.
High price with poor performance on the feature they were trying to sell it on. If I was accepting of such things like you seem to be they will continue this trend which benefits no one but Nvidia and not the user.
What I take personally is you making it about me and not the product.

I would be OK if Nvidia has given us a choice by building one classical GPU with double CUDA cores without RTX and RTX 2080TI for the same price and let the market decide which one it likes better. As things stand right now, we're getting no where near enough performance to push VR to 4K resolution levels or 4K 90-144Hz gaming nor usable frame rates at 4K with RTX on. That's why no one is happy. OK, maybe green fanboys who would buy any crap NVidia sells them and say it's great.

System Name Gentoo64 /w Cold Coffee
Processor 9900K 5.2GHz @1.312v
Motherboard MXI APEX
Cooling Raystorm Pro + 1260mm Super Nova
Memory 2x16GB TridentZ 4000-14-14-28-2T @1.6v
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 LiquidX Barrow 3015MHz @1.1v
Storage 660P 1TB, 860 QVO 2TB
Display(s) LG C1 + Predator XB1 QHD
Case Open Benchtable V2
Audio Device(s) SB X-Fi
Power Supply MSI A1000G
Mouse G502
Keyboard G815
Software Gentoo/Windows 10
Benchmark Scores Always only ever very fast
This is complete utter market leadership shenanigan...

System Name Good enough
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7900 - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Motherboard ASRock B650 Pro RS
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Memory 32GB - FURY Beast RGB 5600 Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 7900 XT - Alphacool Eisblock Aurora
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Display(s) LG UltraGear 32GN650-B + 4K Samsung TV
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
You don't think it is a worthwhile experience therefore this card is not for YOU.

Believe it or not there are things out there that are objectivity not great regardless of what one feels on a per individual case.

It's safe to say in this case, it's not a great experience, objectively.

Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ROG STRIX B650E-F GAMING WIFI
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill Flare X5 DDR5-6000 CL36 (F5-6000J3636F16GX2-FX5)
Video Card(s) INNO3D GeForce RTX™ 4070 Ti SUPER TWIN X2
Storage 2TB Samsung 980 PRO, 4TB WD Black SN850X
Display(s) 42" LG C2 OLED, 27" ASUS PG279Q
Case Thermaltake Core P5
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion+ Platinum 760W
Mouse Corsair Dark Core RGB Pro SE
Keyboard Corsair K100 RGB
VR HMD HTC Vive Cosmos
I wish for once we could have a thread where we could discuss technical sides of the thing and would not devolve into meaningless bullshit.

@W1zzard - what about the power consumption? What happens to the clocks when you all of a sudden engage the RTX cores on the card.
I can answer that - power consumption is exactly the same. Turing cards are power limited and BFV runs the card into power limit with or without DXR effects. Clock speeds are also identical as well as temperatures.
It would be logical to assume RT cores take some performance away from rest of the GPU but that is not visible in clocks, power consumption or temperature.
Wow that's bad. Now imagine the performance if some dev tries to implement more RT stuff like shadows , AO or global illumination and not just shiny reflections...
Actually, shadows, AO or global illumination should be less of a performance hogs than reflections.

@W1zzard
It requires you to not only have Windows 10, but also the latest "October Update".

I'm tired of hearing that. DXR is now official with Vulkan 1.1.91 which works on Windows 7.

It's not NVIDIA's fault that most game engines default to D3D - some companies have actually the guts to use Vulkan like id Software.

Also, quite a lot of modern engines have Vulkan backends - so, this Windows 10 requirement for DXR is plain BS. For some reasons you also repeat this in all your RTX cards reviews.

Last edited:
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ROG STRIX B650E-F GAMING WIFI
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill Flare X5 DDR5-6000 CL36 (F5-6000J3636F16GX2-FX5)
Video Card(s) INNO3D GeForce RTX™ 4070 Ti SUPER TWIN X2
Storage 2TB Samsung 980 PRO, 4TB WD Black SN850X
Display(s) 42" LG C2 OLED, 27" ASUS PG279Q
Case Thermaltake Core P5
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion+ Platinum 760W
Mouse Corsair Dark Core RGB Pro SE
Keyboard Corsair K100 RGB
VR HMD HTC Vive Cosmos
DXR = DirectX Raytracing
This is as standardized as raytracing can get for now.
Vulkan does have the Nvidia RTX extensions out of beta by now but I have seen some (considerable) scoffing towards that as these are still Nvidia extensions and not a "full native" Vulkan thing.

INSTG8R

Vanguard Beta Tester
Case TT Kandalf L.C.S.
Mouse G502 Hero
Keyboard G19s
VR HMD Oculus Quest 3
Software Win 11 Pro x64
DXR = DirectX Raytracing
This is as standardized as raytracing can get for now.
Vulkan does have the Nvidia RTX extensions out of beta by now but I have seen some (considerable) scoffing towards that as these are still Nvidia extensions and not a "full native" Vulkan thing.
Exactly this isn’t Nvidia “Special Sauce” it’s now part of DX12 No reason AMD can’t leverage it if they chose to.

System Name money pit..
Processor Intel 9900K 4.8 at 1.152 core voltage minus 0.120 offset
Motherboard Asus rog Strix Z370-F Gaming
Cooling Dark Rock TF air cooler.. Stock vga air coolers with case side fans to help cooling..
Memory 32 gb corsair vengeance 3200
Video Card(s) Palit Gaming Pro OC 2080TI
Storage 150 nvme boot drive partition.. 1T Sandisk sata.. 1T Transend sata.. 1T 970 evo nvme m 2..
Display(s) 27" Asus PG279Q ROG Swift 165Hrz Nvidia G-Sync, IPS.. 2560x1440..
Case Gigabyte mid-tower.. cheap and nothing special..
Audio Device(s) onboard sounds with stereo amp..
Power Supply EVGA 850 watt..
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech K270
Software Win 10 pro..
Benchmark Scores Firestike 29500.. timepsy 14000..
the thing is some people feel the need to upgrade every so often.. i do and if i dont i lose all interest in whatever i am into at the time..

the current problem is an upgrade costs too much.. for me to upgrade my system i would be talking a couple of grand from where i was.. i dont need to upgrade to play games.. but to maintain my interest as an "enthusiast" i do.. i have other hobbies and the same principle applies.. stop buying new stuff and enthusiast wains..

its just how i am some would call it a progression which once it stops the game stops.. i think the same principle allies to most folks.. and i can also see why over expensive high end stuff creates haters.. their game stops too soon..

trog

the thing is some people feel the need to upgrade every so often.. i do and if i dont i lose all interest in whatever i am into at the time..

the current problem is an upgrade costs too much.. for me to upgrade my system i would be talking a couple of grand from where i was.. i dont need to upgrade to play games.. but to maintain my interest as an "enthusiast" i do.. i have other hobbies and the same principle applies.. stop buying new stuff and enthusiast wains..

its just how i am some would call it a progression which once it stops the game stops.. i think the same principle allies to most folks.. and i can also see why over expensive high end stuff creates haters.. their game stops too soon..

trog

It's not just price, it's about price/performance ratio which is probably the worst deal in 30 years GPU history. If RTX 2080TI could offer +90 fps at 4-5K resolution, I'd buy it immediately for my VR headset. As it is it's only marginally faster than 1080TI (10%) when used with high res VR hmd and costs 70 % more. Here lies my disappointment. Much more expensive for very marginal improvement.

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
Motherboard Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero WiFi
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420
Memory 32Gb G-Skill Trident Z Neo @3806MHz C14
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX2070
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 1TB
Display(s) Samsung G9 49" Curved Ultrawide
Case Cooler Master Cosmos
Audio Device(s) O2 USB Headphone AMP
Power Supply Corsair HX850i
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Cherry MX
Software Windows 11
...power consumption is exactly the same. Turing cards are power limited and BFV runs the card into power limit with or without DXR effects. Clock speeds are also identical as well as temperatures.
It would be logical to assume RT cores take some performance away from rest of the GPU but that is not visible in clocks, power consumption or temperature.
Actually, shadows, AO or global illumination should be less of a performance hogs than reflections.

That’s an interesting point you have there... I would like to know why this RT core, which is half the die, takes no power when active, and generates no heat, yet cripples the cards performance while RT effects are being rendered? Odd indeed.

Is this RT core always active, and not power gated, or is it just marketing BS from nGreedia? Could the real clock speed be severely reduced while the RT cores are doing their thing to keep power and thermals under control? You would think given all of nGreedias marketing on this RT core, regarding its complexity and sheer speed, that it would result in an AVX kind of situation with power and thermals in the GPU.

Only 1 RT RT features are being used in BFV and its causing a 50%+ performance hit.

We have heard that the Tomb Raider game is affected even more, and that they are having massive issues raising performance up enough. They were apparently looking in to more granularity regarding how they were using RT effects to assist in this effort. Could just be a rumour, but this was in the press not long after the RTX launch.

Last edited:
System Name money pit..
Processor Intel 9900K 4.8 at 1.152 core voltage minus 0.120 offset
Motherboard Asus rog Strix Z370-F Gaming
Cooling Dark Rock TF air cooler.. Stock vga air coolers with case side fans to help cooling..
Memory 32 gb corsair vengeance 3200
Video Card(s) Palit Gaming Pro OC 2080TI
Storage 150 nvme boot drive partition.. 1T Sandisk sata.. 1T Transend sata.. 1T 970 evo nvme m 2..
Display(s) 27" Asus PG279Q ROG Swift 165Hrz Nvidia G-Sync, IPS.. 2560x1440..
Case Gigabyte mid-tower.. cheap and nothing special..
Audio Device(s) onboard sounds with stereo amp..
Power Supply EVGA 850 watt..
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech K270
Software Win 10 pro..
Benchmark Scores Firestike 29500.. timepsy 14000..
That’s an interesting point you have there... I would like to know why this RT core, which is half the die, takes no power when active, and generates no heat, yet cripples the cards performance while RT effects are being rendered? Odd indeed.

Is this RT core always active, and not power gated, or is it just marketing BS from nGreedia. Could the real clock speed be severely reduced while the RT cores are doing their thing to keep power and thermals under control?

We have heard that the Tomb Raider game is affected even more.

i think it must work that way.. boost power is diverted to the ray tracing chips..

trog

System Name Aryzen / Sairikiki / Tesseract
Processor 5800x / i7 920@3.73 / 5800x
Motherboard Steel Legend B450M / GB EX58-UDP4 / Steel Legend B550M
Cooling Mugen 5 / Pure Rock / Glacier One 240
Memory Corsair Something 16 / Corsair Something 12 / G.Skill 32
Video Card(s) AMD 6800XT / AMD 6750XT / Sapphire 7800XT
Storage Way too many drives...
Display(s) LG 332GP850-B / Sony w800b / Sony X90J
Case EVOLV X / Carbide 540 / Carbide 280x
Audio Device(s) SB ZxR + GSP 500 / board / Denon X1700h + ELAC Uni-Fi 2 + Senn 6XX
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME GX-750 / Corsair HX750 / Seasonic Focus PX-650
Mouse G700 / none / G602
Keyboard G910
Software w11 64
Benchmark Scores I don't play benchmarks...
So, the 2700 essentially can't manage it at 1080p. Even with a 2080Ti, I don't see many people enabling it in a multiplayer game. nVidia must be more selective whete they push this feature for the moment - it would work much better in a slower-paced single-player game, like a RE for example.

I guess it'll be at least two more generations before this hits mainstream in any meaningful way. And by then, hopefully instead of the current quality RTX, we will hopefully get something better, like Path Tracing.

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
Motherboard Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero WiFi
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420
Memory 32Gb G-Skill Trident Z Neo @3806MHz C14
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX2070
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 1TB
Display(s) Samsung G9 49" Curved Ultrawide
Case Cooler Master Cosmos
Audio Device(s) O2 USB Headphone AMP
Power Supply Corsair HX850i
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Cherry MX
Software Windows 11
i think it must work that way.. boost power is diverted to the ray tracing chips..

trog
This is my take on what’s going on in the chip, I could be very wrong, but it has to be managed somehow, if nGreedia is to be believed as to the implementation, size and computational performance of these RT cores, then it’s a miracle it comes with no power or thermal implications whatsoever.

Maybe this could be part of the performance issues here, and if there is headroom in the chip, as well as it’s thermal and power solutions, then it’s possible this load balancing could be altered to provide more performance during RT loads, depending on where the performance bottleneck is.

Maybe this load balancing would have to be on a per-game basis, or some kind of real-time governor implemented in the graphics driver. Given the mess that nGreedias drivers have been with the RTX series so far, maybe they haven’t implemented it yet, or maybe it’s bugged?

It’s hard to believe that nGreedia would have dropped the ball this badly, given the time they have had to write drivers for these cards, as well as the fact that they release “game ready” drivers just for this first publicly available RTX title, but it’s possible...

Last edited:
So, the 2700 essentially can't manage it at 1080p. Even with a 2080Ti, I don't see many people enabling it in a multiplayer game. nVidia must be more selective whete they push this feature for the moment - it would work much better in a slower-paced single-player game, like a RE for example.

I guess it'll be at least two more generations before this hits mainstream in any meaningful way. And by then, hopefully instead of the current quality RTX, we will hopefully get something better, like Path Tracing.

Well, yeah, the problem is - bf raytracing is only a part - try including shadows and overall ambient lightning, and those card won't even make it in 1080p. Plus, take into account that BFV (and BF series at all) are fairly optimized - so there's additional penalty possible in other titles.

Except you really seem to have missed the dismal FPS on 1440 with RTX on.
I did not. Again I referenced turning off AA which would very likely offset the performance hit of jumping to 1440p. Hoping for an RTX/RTRT game release on GOG or Steam soon so I can run some benchmarks on my own system.
Could easily have said the same about 4k as even a 1080 Ti struggles to maintain fps that justify having a $2500 144 hz IPS screen .... just not there yet. OTOH, it's a very good time with respect to this.
Exactly!
people really don't understand how computationally expensive ray tracing is...
Or how amazing it is to do in real-time what took minutes and sometimes hours per frame just a few short years ago.
Performance is poor and the numbers back it up.
Performance is acceptable. Above 30FPS is bare minimum playable. At or above 60FPS is good, which at 1080p is still good for most PC users. You need some cheese with your whine..
Get off your epeen-ed high horse. No one is knocking it because they can't afford it. I bought my 1080Ti after these came out and I am plenty happy, just like @INSTG8R is happy with his purchase. It's actually possible to have a negative view of something and it not be about envy. The only ones who talk about envy are the ones that have more money than they know what to do with and like to brag.
While I think Trog has a good point, it can't apply to everyone bemoaning RTX. Personally, I like my 2080. Even without the RTRT aspect it's a great performer. I am excited to see what can be done with RTRT and what it can bring to the table, gaming wise.

No it’s not okay you’re passive aggressively trolling at this point.
Gonna have to agree with EasyRhino, you are being judgmental and condescending, effectively trolling everyone who wants or owns an RTX card. It's not cool. Just chill and let people enjoy what they want to enjoy.