• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Confirmed: Windows 10 Setup Now Prevents Local Account Creation

Status
Not open for further replies.
System Name RemixedBeast-NX
Processor Intel Xeon E5-2690 @ 2.9Ghz (8C/16T)
Motherboard Dell Inc. 08HPGT (CPU 1)
Cooling Dell Standard
Memory 24GB ECC
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Nvidia RTX2060 6GB
Storage 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD//2TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster P2350 23in @ 1920x1080 + Dell E2013H 20 in @1600x900
Case Dell Precision T3600 Chassis
Audio Device(s) Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 // Fiio E7 Amp/DAC
Power Supply 630w Dell T3600 PSU
Mouse Logitech G700s/G502
Keyboard Logitech K740
Software Linux Mint 20
Benchmark Scores Network: APs: Cisco Meraki MR32, Ubiquiti Unifi AP-AC-LR and Lite Router/Sw:Meraki MX64 MS220-8P

How to Create a Local User Account Instead
Thankfully, there is one hidden way around this process on Windows 10 Home: You can disconnect your computer from the network.

If you have a computer with an Ethernet cable, unplug it. If you’re connected to Wi-Fi, disconnect.

After you do, try creating a Microsoft account and you’ll see a “Something went wrong” error message. You can then click “Skip” to skip the Microsoft account creation process.

Once you’ve skipped the Microsoft account creation, the old “Who’s going to use this PC?” screen will appear. You can now create an offline account and sign in to Windows 10 without a Microsoft account—the option was there all along.

Even if you have a laptop with Wi-Fi, Windows 10 asks you to connect to your wireless network before reaching this part of the process. Most people will connect to the network and think a Microsoft account is required.

Perhaps a future version of Windows 10 will refuse to allow account creation until you’re connected to the internet. “After all,” Microsoft might say, “Telemetry shows most people just create Microsoft accounts.”

This is yet another dark pattern from the company that brought us “Upgrade now or upgrade tonight” during Windows 10’s free upgrade period.
Good thing I'm switching to Linux. So over ms and their crap. Just got my main to mint Linux. All but 4 PC's in this house are on Linux. I got more than 15 systems.

System Name Miami
Processor Ryzen 3800X
Motherboard Asus Crosshair VII Formula
Cooling Ek Velocity/ 2x 280mm Radiators/ Alphacool fullcover
Memory F4-3600C16Q-32GTZNC
Video Card(s) XFX 6900 XT Speedster 0
Storage 1TB WD M.2 SSD/ 2TB WD SN750/ 4TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) DELL AW3420DW / HP ZR24w
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL
Audio Device(s) EVGA Nu Audio
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Gold 1000W+750W
Mouse Corsair Scimitar/Glorious Model O-
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platinum
Software Windows 10 Pro
Why anyone would install W10 while connected to internet ever is beyond me, I've never done it.

First, I want to remove any pending apps in Start waiting to be downloaded before connecting, Candy Crush is/was one of them IIRC.
Yeah sure you can just delete them later with PS together with anything else you don't want, but why install them in the first place?

Second, I want to set up OO shutup before connecting.

I installed the .207 version two weeks ago with a local account,

Try clean installing from a usb, on a pc with a 490z or 570x/390z/x399/trx40 motherboard when they were new and tell me how that goes. Deleting a handful of apps beats ferrying drivers from a internet connected machine to the new one until it can connect by itself every day of the week.

SL2

Because it's easier to plug all the cables in at once than going back to the machine after setup to plug in the NIC cable.
Sounds hard. ;)
Because Windows 10 needs to activate that Windows 7 key I typed in.
It's not needed during installation. I guess you've never used GatherOSState.exe, which only works when unplugged. Although I rarely use it nowadays, most computers I come across are already upgraded.

So the simple solution(which happens to be a very strict rule I follow) is make sure the system is NOT connected to any network during installation. This works on any version of Windows 10. Local account is the only option when a network is not detected/present.

This practice ensures the system stays under user control during the entire installation.
Exactly, I don't see any drawbacks of doing that.

Try clean installing from a usb, on a pc with a 490z or 570x/390z/x399/trx40 motherboard when they were new and tell me how that goes. Deleting a handful of apps beats ferrying drivers from a internet connected machine to the new one until it can connect by itself every day of the week.
What? I'm talking about installing Windows, not drivers. You can do all that after installation is done and you've come to desktop and connect to internet, no?

Last edited:
System Name Miami
Processor Ryzen 3800X
Motherboard Asus Crosshair VII Formula
Cooling Ek Velocity/ 2x 280mm Radiators/ Alphacool fullcover
Memory F4-3600C16Q-32GTZNC
Video Card(s) XFX 6900 XT Speedster 0
Storage 1TB WD M.2 SSD/ 2TB WD SN750/ 4TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) DELL AW3420DW / HP ZR24w
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL
Audio Device(s) EVGA Nu Audio
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Gold 1000W+750W
Mouse Corsair Scimitar/Glorious Model O-
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platinum
Software Windows 10 Pro
What? I'm talking about installing Windows, not drivers. You can do all that after installation is done and you've come to desktop and connect to internet, no?

No chipset driver = no LAN = no internet. Drivers are the reason why you want to be connected to the internet, so during install windows can connect to ms server and download any necessary files that aren't on the disk.

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name RogueOne
Processor Xeon W9-3495x
Motherboard ASUS w790E Sage SE
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S DX-4677
Memory 128gb Gskill Zeta R5 DDR5 RDIMMs
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 2TB WD SN850X | 2x 8TB GAMMIX S70
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 (G95SC)
Case Thermaltake Core P3 Pro Snow
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on schitt Modi+ & Valhalla 2
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX-1600
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11 Pro Workstation
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
Looks like Windows still lets you use a local account and we have had several posts off topic now.

If you need to know more or do more with store apps, or argue the difficulty rating of plugging in a network cable feel free to do so in other threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.