• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Dell Workstation Owners Club

And have 8-pin connectors...hmm, does the 1100 watt model have 8-pin connectors?

is there a list somewhere of compatible PSUs? What about the absurdly long SATA and CPU cables?

And have 8-pin connectors...hmm, does the 1100 watt model have 8-pin connectors?
You may have misunderstood my previous statement. The wiring harness currently in your case does not need replacement. It disconnects from the PSU and you can simple drop the 1100w PSU in place of the existing one.
When considering PSU replacement don't forget that many aftermarket PSUs fit easily into Tx500 cases and have twin CPU connectors available. The EVGA unit in my T5500 does even though I do not need it. No riser so that modular cable just sits in the box. Also more modern PCIe graphics card connectors besides the typical 6-pin from Dell, and active warranties.
However, this is a valid point. My only word of caution would be to make sure you find a PSU that has the correct connectors. Most PSU's don't have 2 8pin EPS CPU power connectors.

System Name Dell T620
Processor 2x E5-2697 v2
Motherboard Dell v6 G1CNH
Cooling Stock
Memory 256GB
Video Card(s) Onboard currently
Storage N/A
Display(s) 1 x 27" 4K
Case Default OEM
Power Supply 2x 1100watt
Has anyone tried to controll the fans on a fell t5500?

I'm upgrading my fans to pwm models and was curious if I should use one of the 5 pin headers, or just use molex/sata power?

Thank you
Bill

Cheese Burger Eddy

Can I do:

4gb in dimm 1, 2 3 then 2gb in dimm 4, 5, 6 on both the main board and riser? That would give me 36gb or 18gb per CPU. I have 6, 2gb sticks and am going to pull the trigger on 6 x 4gb sticks.

Can I do:

4gb in dimm 1, 2 3 then 2gb in dimm 4, 5, 6 on both the main board and riser? That would give me 36gb or 18gb per CPU. I have 6, 2gb sticks and am going to pull the trigger on 6 x 4gb sticks.
Yes, you'll be fine as long as all of the DIMMs are the same type. Example ECC unbuffered, ECC Registered, etc...

Cheese Burger Eddy

Yes, you'll be fine as long as all of the DIMMs are the same type. Example ECC unbuffered, ECC Registered, etc...
I am currently using 6x2gb of M393B5673DZ1-CH9, which according to specs is 1.35v ECC Registered CL9, and I am looking at ECC Registered, 1.5v CL9 4gb sticks. Shouldn't be an issue yeah?

EDIT: apparently both are 1.5v

Last edited:

HisMessengerDAB

Hello everyone,

I must say that this forum seems like an oasis in the desert of the internet when it comes to information on Dell Workstations. I have been doing some major research and since I cannot find the information I need, I was hoping that maybe someone in here could help me out, as I have a few questions and don't know where else to go for help. I purchased a T5810 recently and I'm working to get it all modded out to be able to serve as a Plex Media Server for myself and my family (running maybe 3 streams concurrently), to be able to run some games, to learn coding on (down the line that is), run a BOINC client on it with some of the spare cores when I don't need them, and to do some basic schoolwork.

Here is the setup as it stands:
  • E5-2698 V3 (which in hindsight may not have been the best purchase due to being able to get a different CPU w/higher all-core turbo, but such is life; I got it for a decent deal)
  • 8 GB of DDR4-2133 ECC RAM (waiting on 64GB to come in the mail to replace and/or add to the original 8GB)
  • NVIDIA Quadro FX 580 (which I will be replacing with, or adding to, a Sapphire R9 390X card that I was using on my previous T3600 once I figure out the PSU)
  • a 500gb Barracuda SSD and 5TB HDD
  • 425W PSU
  • Stock CPU Cooler
Here we go with questions (I really hope anyone here can help):
  1. What's the optimal PSU that I should go for here?
    • Given the CPU I have and the card I want to use, I don't know if I will need to purchase a 685W, 825W, or 1300W PSU to make sure everything runs correctly.
    • I have a 1300W PSU that I used to use on my T3600 but it won't fit into the slot for the T5810. I don't know if there's any way to make it "fit" and work. At this time, it seems like I may have to just sell all the stuff from broken T3600 for parts to recuperate some money.
  2. Should I try and replace the stock CPU cooler with an aftermarket one?
    • A gentleman named Adam has a fantastic breakdown on how to replace a stock CPU cooler with a Noctua NH-D9DX i4 3U but I'm not sure if it's necessary (although I have a sneaking suspicion that it will be to keep the noise and temps down).
    • Secondary to this question, should I go ahead and get a second Noctua fan to add to the cooler or just keep it at one?
  3. Should I go through the hassle of selling my new 2698v3 and trying to purchase a 2667v3 or a 2643v3 or is there a way I can throttle up the turbo clock speed of my cores from 2.8 to a higher clock speed, assuming I upgrade the stock cooler?
So yea, those are the questions. In the meanwhile, I'm stuck with the NVIDIA GPU since I don't think that the 425w PSU can handle both the 390x and the CPU. But I am happy to report that at least the computer works so that's a win. Thank you in advance for your advice!

Very respectfully,
HisMessengerDAB

Given the CPU I have and the card I want to use, I don't know if I will need to purchase a 685W, 825W, or 1300W PSU to make sure everything runs correctly.
I would recommend the 825W PSU given your components.
I have a 1300W PSU that I used to use on my T3600 but it won't fit into the slot for the T5810. I don't know if there's any way to make it "fit" and work. At this time, it seems like I may have to just sell all the stuff from broken T3600 for parts to recuperate some money.
Sadly, there is not. You'll need to upgrade with a PSU made for that system line.
Should I try and replace the stock CPU cooler with an aftermarket one?
  • A gentleman named Adam has a fantastic breakdown on how to replace a stock CPU cooler with a Noctua NH-D9DX i4 3U but I'm not sure if it's necessary (although I have a sneaking suspicion that it will be to keep the noise and temps down).
  • Secondary to this question, should I go ahead and get a second Noctua fan to add to the cooler or just keep it at one?
This is totally your call. I would refrain as the stock coolers for your system are very good, but that's me.
Should I go through the hassle of selling my new 2698v3 and trying to purchase a 2667v3 or a 2643v3 or is there a way I can throttle up the turbo clock speed of my cores from 2.8 to a higher clock speed, assuming I upgrade the stock cooler?
For what you want to do, selling those 2698's and buying either 2667's, 1680's, 1660's or even 1650's (all v3's of course) would bring you considerable improvments, even though you loose a bunch of cores you gain a lot of speed per core which is more important for the work-loads you described above.

Hope this helps and welcome to TPU!

HisMessengerDAB

I would recommend the 825W PSU given your components.

Sadly, there is not. You'll need to upgrade with a PSU made for that system line.

This is totally your call. I would refrain as the stock coolers for your system are very good, but that's me.

For what you want to do, selling those 2698's and buying either 2667's, 1680's, 1660's or even 1650's (all v3's of course) would bring you considerable improvments, even though you loose a bunch of cores you gain a lot of speed per core which is more important for the work-loads you described above.

Hope this helps and welcome to TPU!
Thank you so much for the welcome! This was incredibly helpful indeed. I found a 825W psu that I put in an offer for on eBay. *crosses fingers*

Is there a way to have the OS dynamically change the fan speed on the stock cooler so that it's not a choice between "set it and hope for the best" or nothing?

What would you say is a great price for the 2667's, 1680's, 1660's, or 1650's? Also, which might be the best option based on the work-loads described above. (Side note: how do people here feel about ES CPUs for use?)

Also also, for those who may be wondering, a T3600 system *will* take a 1300W PSU in the event that you might need that much power.

Last edited:
Is there a way to have the OS dynamically change the fan speed on the stock cooler so that it's not a choice between "set it and hope for the best" or nothing?
Not in the bios. However there are two options open to you.

First, you can get a third party fan(moving the Dell fan to another location but leaving it connected) and mount it to the CPU heatsink. This is what I do in two of my T3500's see image below. The upside is that the fan will always be running full speed(unless you buy an inline speed control), but the down side is it's always running full speed. For me the noise isn't a big deal as the fans are not very loud. So if you buy fans that are quiet, running them will not be a problem.

IMG_20210318_052022.jpg

Second, you can look for a utility called SpeedFan. No promises it can find and control the fan controller in that system but it's worth a try.

What would you say is a great price for the 2667's, 1680's, 1660's, or 1650's? Also, which might be the best option based on the work-loads described above.
Prices vary, but here's a set of search links that might help you find what you need. Given your stated use-case, I'd lean on a 1660v3 or 2667v3
1650v3

1660v3

1680v3

2667v3

(Side note: how do people here feel about ES CPUs for use?)
Engineering Samples are as solid as retail CPU's most of the time. But your system firmware would have to have microcode support for them, which is not always guaranteed.

Last edited:

HisMessengerDAB

Second, you can look for a utility called SpeedFan. No promises it can find and control the fan controller in that system but it's worth a try.
I tried using Speedfan as well as HWinfo but for some reason the fan controller just doesn't show up. The only other option seems to be to just go into the BIOS and manually crank up the minimum speed setting under the auto settings for now (which isn't optimal). Have you heard of anyone being able to adjust something, whether by using a custom BIOS mod or any other way, so that a software program can control the fans manually? I had a similar issue with the T3600. Using HWinfo I could only set it at either 0, 1000, or 4K which was also not optimal.

Prices vary, but here's a set of search links that might help you find what you need. Given your stated use-case, I'd lean on a 1660v3 or 2667v3
I found a 1660 for about $150, a 1650 for about $120, a 1680 for $ 220, and a 2667 for about $245. I just don't know if it's worth paying all that extra for the 1680 or 2667 instead of just paying the 150 for the 1660.

While we're at it, is there a way to replace the three fans in the front with something quieter so it doesn't sound like a jet plane taking off? Those three fans look like they're 4 pin ones so I would think that maybe some noctua 4 pins (or similar alternatives) might work out better. Or even just replace the CPU cooler fan and leave the rest of the assembly.

Last edited:
I just don't know if it's worth paying all that extra for the 1680 or 2667 instead of just paying the 150 for the 1660.
$120 for a 1650v3 6-core would very much be worth the price compared to what you currently have for gaming. However the 1660v3 is an 8-core at 3ghz. Each core is a little slower, but there are two more of them. 1680v3 is a3.2ghz 8-core CPU. Whether or not the extra 200mhz per core with worth the premium is up to you.
While we're at it, is there a way to replace the three fans in the front with something quieter so it doesn't sound like a jet plane taking off?
Should be. If they're running full speed all the time, there is a setting in the BIOS that needs to be changed.

Cheese Burger Eddy

On my T7500, it came with a DVD drive and floppy drive. I want to remove them. Does anybody have the bezel/insert code or sku so I can buy them?

On my T7500, it came with a DVD drive and floppy drive. I want to remove them. Does anybody have the bezel/insert code or sku so I can buy them?
Do you mean this;

This;

And this;

Or you could just buy the whole unit and save a bit of money;

Cheese Burger Eddy

Do you mean this;

This;

And this;

Or you could just buy the whole unit and save a bit of money;

Yes exactly those. The full unit is attractive, but shipping is $24, so 50% more than the purchase price.

HisMessengerDAB

Should be. If they're running full speed all the time, there is a setting in the BIOS that needs to be changed.
My apologies as I don't think I was clear with what I meant. My question is less about the speed of the fans (which I've found that it can be manually throttled through the BIOS) and more about whether or not they could be changed for quieter fans so when they *are* going at full tilt they don't sound as loud. After some research, I could not find any aftermarket 90x90x38 fans, only 92mm fans and I have a feeling that they probably wouldn't fit into the front case fan assembly. It seems like I would be able to possibly change the stock fan in the CPU cooler for an aftermarket one vice changing out the entire CPU cooler unit but I don't know what the size of that stock CPU cooler fan is to see about finding a suitable aftermarket replacement.

$120 for a 1650v3 6-core would very much be worth the price compared to what you currently have for gaming. However the 1660v3 is an 8-core at 3ghz. Each core is a little slower, but there are two more of them. 1680v3 is a3.2ghz 8-core CPU. Whether or not the extra 200mhz per core with worth the premium is up to you.
Unfortunately, I lost out on the auction for the 1680. With the price difference between the 1650 and the 1660 being only about $20, I think the last thing I need to worry about with the CPUs iswhat is the biggest opportunity cost: less threads w/higher clock speeds or more threads with lower clock speeds. I'm not sure how to weigh this out.

Cheese Burger Eddy

My apologies as I don't think I was clear with what I meant. My question is less about the speed of the fans (which I've found that it can be manually throttled through the BIOS) and more about whether or not they could be changed for quieter fans so when they *are* going at full tilt they don't sound as loud. After some research, I could not find any aftermarket 90x90x38 fans, only 92mm fans and I have a feeling that they probably wouldn't fit into the front case fan assembly. It seems like I would be able to possibly change the stock fan in the CPU cooler for an aftermarket one vice changing out the entire CPU cooler unit but I don't know what the size of that stock CPU cooler fan is to see about finding a suitable aftermarket replacement.

Unfortunately, I lost out on the auction for the 1680. With the price difference between the 1650 and the 1660 being only about $20, I think the last thing I need to worry about with the CPUs iswhat is the biggest opportunity cost: less threads w/higher clock speeds or more threads with lower clock speeds. I'm not sure how to weigh this out.

Honestly most "modern" games really don't use more than 6 cores. I was looking at upgrading my i5-6600k, which is 4 core, to an i5-10600k which is 6 core. The other options are the i7-10700k (8c 16t) and i9-10850k (10c 20t).

On paper for most of the games I looked at, the i7/i9 performed similar, slightly better or even slightly worse than the i5. For other tasks prioritizing higher core count, the i7/i9 obviously pull ahead.

With the price difference between the 1650
I would go for the 1650V3 for your needs. You loose some cores but gain A LOT of speed per core compared to your current CPU and the 1650 is a very reasonable cost.

Ah ok. Yeah, you can get fans and adapters for that system.

HisMessengerDAB

I would go for the 1650V3 for your needs. You loose some cores but gain A LOT of speed per core compared to your current CPU and the 1650 is a very reasonable cost.

Ah ok. Yeah, you can get fans and adapters for that system.
Sweet. I put in an offer for one of the 1650s, hopefully I can get that. won an auction for a 1650 for $100. As far as the fans, do you know if the 92mm fan would fit in the 90mm front fan case assembly? Also, do you know what size the CPU cooler fan is?

Thanks again for all the help with everything!

Last edited:

HisMessengerDAB

Honestly a digital caliper is a hugely helpful tool to have. It will let you measure the dimensions of your current housing, plot it on paper and check potential replacements/upgrades.
That's definitely a great point! Sadly I don't currently have one of those. I'm gonna have to measure the fans with a ruler for now and hope for the best haha