• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Microsoft Clears Way for Windows 11: Windows 10 Support to End October 14th, 2025

D

Deleted member 205776

Whatever, getting bored of 10, and 8.1 and 7 are antique relics belonging in a museum. Whoever's still using them should get a reality check.

Updates never gave me an issue, and my whole experience with 10 has been more stable than with both 8.1 and 7 combined. 7 had the worst update agent I've ever seen, always breaking and giving out errors. 10 never forced updates down my throat and just asked me to install them whenever I wanted to. The best part is its update agent never broke either.

If telemetry is a problem with you, know that 7 has all the 10 "telemetry" backported onto it, so you're not safe. You're not safe on Linux distros either. If you're such a privacy freak, unplug your ethernet cord.

Looking forward to whatever the next OS will shape up to be.

Last edited by a moderator:
Processor Ryzen 5600
Motherboard X570 I Aorus Pro
Cooling Deepcool AG400
Memory HyperX Fury 2 x 8GB 3200 CL16
Video Card(s) RX 6700 10GB SWFT 309
Storage SX8200 Pro 512 / NV2 512
Display(s) 24G2U
Case NR200P
Power Supply Ion SFX 650
Mouse G703 (TTC Gold 60M)
Keyboard Keychron V1 (Akko Matcha Green) / Apex m500 (Gateron milky yellow)
Software W10
They can call it whatever they want, as long as they make my bluetooth headphones work properly. 2 different systems both with ton of issues. And guess what, on my android phone everything works like a charm...

System Name My Ryzen 7 7700X Super Computer
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7700X
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling DeepCool AK620 with Arctic Silver 5
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 EXPO (CL30)
Video Card(s) XFX AMD Radeon RX 7900 GRE
Storage Samsung 980 EVO 1 TB NVMe SSD (System Drive), Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB NVMe SSD (Game Drive)
Display(s) Acer Nitro XV272U (DisplayPort) and Acer Nitro XV270U (DisplayPort)
Case Lian Li LANCOOL II MESH C
Audio Device(s) On-Board Sound / Sony WH-XB910N Bluetooth Headphones
Power Supply MSI A850GF
Mouse Logitech M705
Keyboard Steelseries
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/liwjs3
I kind of like the idea of the Control Panel going away if Microsoft were to ever get around to implementing everything that the old Control Panel applets do. A lot of companies liked to add shit to the Control Panel for no good reason other than to clutter the damn thing up. (I'm looking at you, Adobe! You're the worst of them all!)

Windows 10 is a really poor OS and those on the front line of updates are essentially MS QA team... It's a bugy mess with the old interfaces all mish mashed in with the new and seriously lacks polish.

Surely there must end up being a serious OS competitor for the x86 space, now so much is done via browser anyway, all those legacy apps are much less important than years ago.

System Name My Ryzen 7 7700X Super Computer
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7700X
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling DeepCool AK620 with Arctic Silver 5
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 EXPO (CL30)
Video Card(s) XFX AMD Radeon RX 7900 GRE
Storage Samsung 980 EVO 1 TB NVMe SSD (System Drive), Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB NVMe SSD (Game Drive)
Display(s) Acer Nitro XV272U (DisplayPort) and Acer Nitro XV270U (DisplayPort)
Case Lian Li LANCOOL II MESH C
Audio Device(s) On-Board Sound / Sony WH-XB910N Bluetooth Headphones
Power Supply MSI A850GF
Mouse Logitech M705
Keyboard Steelseries
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/liwjs3
On this we disagree. I like the fine-grained controls available in the control panel, much of which is either not as fine-grained or not present at all in the Win10 Settings app. Completely unacceptable in my personal and professional opinion.
When if the Settings app was feature-complete? Unlike what we have now which is a mish-mash of Settings app this and Control Panel that.

System Name CyberPowerPC ET8070
Processor Intel Core i5-10400F
Motherboard Gigabyte B460M DS3H AC-Y1
Memory 2 x Crucial Ballistix 8GB DDR4-3000
Video Card(s) MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Super
Storage Boot: Intel OPTANE SSD P1600X Series 118GB M.2 PCIE
Display(s) Dell P2416D (2560 x 1440)
Power Supply EVGA 500W1 (modified to have two bridge rectifiers)
Software Windows 11 Home
Wonder how much it will cost.

Most likely our privacy and our dignity. Oh, plus $14.99 per month for Home edition.

Whatever, getting bored of 10, and 8.1 and 7 are antique relics belonging in a museum. Whoever's still using them should get a reality check.

Updates never gave me an issue, and my whole experience with 10 has been more stable than with both 8.1 and 7 combined. 7 had the worst update agent I've ever seen, always breaking and giving out errors. 10 never forced updates down my throat and just asked me to install them whenever I wanted to. The best part is its update agent never broke either.

If telemetry is a problem with you, know that 7 has all the 10 "telemetry" backported onto it, so you're not safe. You're not safe on Linux distros either. If you're such a privacy freak, unplug your ethernet cord.

Looking forward to whatever the next OS will shape up to be.
Where do I even begin from?

When if the Settings app was feature-complete? Unlike what we have now which is a mish-mash of Settings app this and Control Panel that.
Technically, the control panel still works if you force 10 to grant direct access to it through a utility or shell(like Open Shell).

Imagine paying for Windows.
What do you mean?

Most likely our privacy and our dignity. Oh, plus $14.99 per month for Home edition.
Screw that crap. I will not "subscribe" to an OS. If Microsoft pulls that BS they will get the two fingered salute from a great many people.

Last edited:
Get ready for subscription based Windows. I myself having been playing enough in Linux to love its power and will switch completely once MS does this.

Does this mean, that MS is giving up on concept of "Windows as service"? Those automatic updates to higher version are getting tiresome.

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
Didn't Microsoft said back then when Windows 10 was coming, that they are stopping with the numbering and just gonna release updates? And that will be just "Windows" or I'm missing something?
If you're crediting Microsoft with doing what they say then you've known a different Microsoft to me for the last 30 years :D

What do you mean?
He/she means that whoever of home users doesn't buy pre-made PC and builds it at home, is more likely to spend money on HW, not OS. If they don´t pirate, they buy license keys from 3rd party company with multi-licence for about 5-10 EUR, which (at least in EU) is completely legal.

Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Case Veddha T2
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
It is so tiring to see the M$ and TELEMETRY in comments. Seriously, which year it is? I bet most of those comments come from people who manage to become part of botnets and "totally know what they are doing" when disabling Windows Update and other services.
Your ISP knows who you are, where you live, has access to your money, and - if you haven't changed your DNS servers, knows every single site you've ever been to.
If you VPN all your traffic you're on their "suspicious user" list already. Your ISP is probably evil but they're nothing compared to Alphabet/Bezos/Zuckerberg

Microsoft's telemetry is a trivial concern compared to what your ISP knows about you, and your ISP's monitoring of your usage is negligible compared to what Google/Amazon/Facebook have on you.

He/she means that whoever of home users doesn't buy pre-made PC and builds it at home, is more likely to spend money on HW, not OS. If they don´t pirate, they buy license keys from 3rd party company with multi-licence for about 5-10 EUR, which (at least in EU) is completely legal.
Let's let them speak for themselves...

Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Case Veddha T2
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
There's an old saying: If it's not broken, DON'T fix it.
The problem with so many software developers these days is that they are constantly trying to add new stuff nobody asked for without fixing the old stuff the won them the business in the first place.
They seem oblivious to the fact that the old broken stuff is their core business.
In Microsoft's case, it's a usable UI for hardware options, a file/storage interface, and Win32 software compatibility. If you take any one of those three things away it becomes a dumpster fire which is why Windows 8 was a disaster, Explorer has remained unchanged, and UWP has been mostly ignored by developers and users alike.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
On this we disagree. I like the fine-grained controls available in the control panel, much of which is either not as fine-grained or not present at all in the Win10 Settings app. Completely unacceptable in my personal and professional opinion.

yep I love the control panel... has a lot of nice little features. if they get rid of this that is the day i turn off updates. lol

Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Case Veddha T2
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
You're describing the half-baked incomplete transition to the modernUI settings app.
If everything you could do in Control Panel could be done in Settings, nobody would have an issue with it, but stupid shit missing is why we still need two systems, and why the Settings apps exposes the ugly truth and drops back down to the Control Panel for half its stuff. This is why it's called "lipstick on a pig" or "polishing a turd" because the Settings app is just a new coat of paint hastily thrown over the top of the old Control Panel, rather than an actual update of the Control Panel.

Get ready for subscription based Windows. I myself having been playing enough in Linux to love its power and will switch completely once MS does this.
M$ are paying a lot of attention to Linux lately. I'm genuinely afraid they will pull another EEE on Linux, and that would be the end of it.
Your ISP knows who you are, where you live, has access to your money, and - if you haven't changed your DNS servers, knows every single site you've ever been to.
If you VPN all your traffic you're on their "suspicious user" list already. Your ISP is probably evil but they're nothing compared to Alphabet/Bezos/Zuckerberg

Microsoft's telemetry is a trivial concern compared to what your ISP knows about you, and your ISP's monitoring of your usage is negligible compared to what Google/Amazon/Facebook have on you.
Mine doesn't. I'm investing lots of resources making sure so.

Technically, the control panel still works if you force 10 to grant direct access to it through a utility or shell(like Open Shell).

What do you mean?

Screw that crap. I will not "subscribe" to an OS. If Microsoft pulls that BS they will get the two fingered salute from a great many people.
M$ never have earned much from the 'great many people'. They were mainly relying on SOHO and enterprise customers. If they go for an OSaS I'm afraid this will change.

Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Case Veddha T2
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
If there's a cost that means no adverts, suggestions, Candy Crush Saga, trialware tiles in the start menu, then I'll gladly pay it.

Windows 10 feels like a F2P game. I can afford a $60 AAA title without microtransactions, adverts, and grind to increase the amount of time spent looking at adverts.

Let the Microsoft Direct X new version API hostage negotiations begin. This is why we need more Vulkan games prominence quite frankly. It would be wonderful if collectively people were like nope Microsoft we don't agree to your terms of service we're switching to Linux this time around have fun being BASIC AF though with your current XEROX OS version number sales pitch.

If there's a cost that means no adverts, suggestions, Candy Crush Saga, trialware tiles in the start menu, then I'll gladly pay it.

Windows 10 feels like a F2P game. I can afford a $60 AAA title without microtransactions, adverts, and grind to increase the amount of time spent looking at adverts.
Amen!

Space Lynx

Astronaut
I won't lie though, if they figured out a way to make an all glass rounded tablet with no bezel's at all, sort of like those squares in the picture... that would be super nice looking...

with OLED

Last edited: