• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

x58 xeon x5675 overclocking help needed with high speed mem

System Name The Blind Grim Reaper
Processor Xeon X5675 Westmere-EP B1 SLBYL 4.20ghz @ 1.256v
Motherboard Asus P6X58D-E
Cooling Noctua CP12 SE14, Redux Noctua 1500rpm fan Arctic F14 x3 for intake and exhaust
Memory Corsair XMS3 CMX4GX3M2A1600C9 x6
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SC Single Fan Model
Storage Crucial mx300 750gb main system + 1TB mx500 for games and music
Display(s) 22 inch samsung curved
Case NZXT Phantom 530 black
Audio Device(s) Nvidia HDMI through HDMI adaptor for output sound for turtlebeach x12 headset
Power Supply Antec HCG 850 watt
Mouse no brand
Keyboard normal usb keyboard
Software Windows 10 22H2 v1 (main is) and Windows 11 22H2 v2 on WD 250gb 7200rpm (testing purposes os)
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R20 = 2046cb
then yes you can find much cheaper drive options for storage note you will need to format it in disk management for it to be useable, I would suggest the X16 style card no need for the backplate bracket and locks into place via the X16 PCIe retention clip, you could also use your motherboards (X8 electrical X16 PCIe) slot even if you use the X4 slot it will be plenty fast for game loads I was getting 900 Mbps on the X4 1.0 slot vs 1600 Mbps in the 2.0 slot or you could just get another seagate 931 GB HDD and run it in raid 0 doubles the size and speed, my two 80 GB garbage laptop drives report as being 147 GB in raid 0 and doubled the speed you can configure them in drive expert in the bios in super speed mode
Cool to know as I didn't know that the marvell controller would work like that. Most people would avoid using marvell controller on asus x58 boards because of a few issues that it have as I seen it in varies of forums

I just install the marvel controller under system devices in control panel and don't use the marvel storage controller or disk drives controller, just use the Microsoft default drivers, I never have an issue with it on my P6X58D-E that way other then the drives and marvel show up as external USB devices but there's a reg hack to make them internal, but I'm not using raid 0 on that machine just western digital blue 500 Gb ssd. HaHAHA I just got a BSOD on my rampage launching Fortnite, could it be the marvel controller or this junk ram? You could just use raid 0 on the intel sata controller. I haven't really tested it extensively enough to know if the marvel raid has issues

Cooling Noctua CP12 SE14, Redux Noctua 1500rpm fan Arctic F14 x3 for intake and exhaust
Audio Device(s) Nvidia HDMI through HDMI adaptor for output sound for turtlebeach x12 headset
Mouse no brand
Software Windows 10 22H2 v1 (main is) and Windows 11 22H2 v2 on WD 250gb 7200rpm (testing purposes os)
I just install the marvel controller under system devices in control panel and don't use the marvel storage controller or disk drives controller, just use the Microsoft default drivers, I never have an issue with it on my P6X58D-E that way other then the drives and marvel show up as external USB devices but there's a reg hack to make them internal, but I'm not using raid 0 on that machine just western digital blue 500 Gb ssd. HaHAHA I just got a BSOD on my rampage launching Fortnite, could it be the marvel controller or this junk ram? You could just use raid 0 on the intel sata controller. I haven't really tested it extensively enough to know if the marvel raid has issues
What BSOD did you get when launching Fortnite?

Mouse no brand
Mouse no brand
System Name Carnival of Glass
Processor Intel i9 14900K (previously 12900K/9900K, 8086K/Xeon X5670)
Motherboard ASRock Z790 PG SONIC (Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Master, Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 7/390 Des/X58A-UD7)
Cooling Corsair Hydro open loop, 480mm XR7, 360mm XR5!
Memory 32GB Corsair Dominator 6000MT DDR5 @6466 CL36-38-38-72-114-2
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX 3090 w/Corsair XG7 block (previously 1080Ti/970) +200 core +800 RAM +shunt mod
Storage 1x 500GB Samsung Evo 970 boot, 1TB ADATA, 2TB Sabrent RQ, 2x2TB Crucial MX, 4TB WD SN850X, 16TB NAS!
Display(s) Acer Nitro 27" 4K, dual Acer 24" 1080p LED, 65" Panasonic UHD 4K TV/55" Toshiba 4K UHD in bedroom
Case Corsair 7000X (previously Corsair X570 Crystal SE)
Audio Device(s) Onboard + EVGA Nu Audio Pro 7.1, Yamaha 4K AV Amp, Rotel RX-970B + 4x Kef Coda IIIs :D
Power Supply Corsair HX1500i Modular PSU
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed (previously G600 MMO)
Keyboard Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum (previously G19)
VR HMD Quest 3 + Pro controllers
Software Windows 11 x64 Enterprise (legal!)
Benchmark Scores https://www.3dmark.com/spy/18709841 https://valid.x86.fr/s9zmw1 https://valid.x86.fr/t0vrwy
Hmm.. Those Marvell controllers are problematic, mainly due to the drivers being so out-dated and they misbehave when it comes to signal/protocol standards.. Don't mean to sound like a d*ck here but a while ago i was doing what you were all doing, keeping that platform running as long as possible and kept spending little bits here and there to try and improve it. I never used NVMe drives on there because that would be a massive bottleneck for the drive and unfortunately you'll still get low frames and hitching! Once i went from a GTX 970 with my Xeon to a 1080 Ti, sure i could run Forza and many other games in 4K but i couldn't achieve 60FPS on many of them, often dipping to 40 even though the card was capable. As soon as i was using that same card on the older Z370/i7 8086K i saved up for (i'd purchased a USB3/Sata 6G card for my old X58 board, which did improve my SSD speeds but not by much - from memory it went from 254MB/s (about the limit of Sata 2/3G) to 345MB/s.. Of course on the newer board it hit its max of 540MB/s, a SanDisk 240GB SSD) i was getting over 80FPS on Forza Horizon 3 at 4K with 83% GPU usage, for example. On the Xeon it was 40-57FPS at about 50% usage, just couldn't pump the data to it! Depends what you're using it for really but that's not an overly demanding game either. And that was loading from the same HDDs, by the way. Didn't have to reformat either. The good news is, if you have RAID arrays on SATA drives, if you connect it to a newer Intel board, it gets detected and works immediately. I was surprised myself (i had a RAID of 2 2TB WD Blue HDDs for games at the time) and it literally just worked! Taken a few years to get the machine where i want it to be, but it can be done cheaper than you think! I do have a few X5650 chips here though, i think i paid £6 each so got 4 of them, intending to 'bin' them for a bit of fun but still haven't got 'round to it yet lol If they had ever been updated to use PCIe 3.0 that would likely help a lot!

This does make me want to dig out my X58 board and mess around again, but i really can't knock how well a now 11 year old CPU can still perform. An i7 8700K (which is what the 8086K is a binned version of) is quite an upgrade that would surprise you however, and perhaps when things return to normal, prices will actually be reasonable again! Running XP on the old X58 Xeon as someone else mentioned, that was hilarious though! Never had it feel so fast :laugh: And if you want stability, I'd say avoid older Ryzen platforms. I used to be the biggest AMD fan back in the day but once i realized that really, you're spending the same over time just in smaller amounts, i went with Intel (the X58!) and never looked back! I suppose the only annoyance is, besides an old IBM server i have that uses dual Xeons and has UEFI, only AMD's awful FX series of CPUs has UEFI from near that era..i think we can all agree they were trash. Eight core indeed..

Mouse no brand
Hmm.. Those Marvell controllers are problematic, mainly due to the drivers being so out-dated and they misbehave when it comes to signal/protocol standards.. Don't mean to sound like a d*ck here but a while ago i was doing what you were all doing, keeping that platform running as long as possible and kept spending little bits here and there to try and improve it. I never used NVMe drives on there because that would be a massive bottleneck for the drive and unfortunately you'll still get low frames and hitching! Once i went from a GTX 970 with my Xeon to a 1080 Ti, sure i could run Forza and many other games in 4K but i couldn't achieve 60FPS on many of them, often dipping to 40 even though the card was capable. As soon as i was using that same card on the older Z370/i7 8086K i saved up for (i'd purchased a USB3/Sata 6G card for my old X58 board, which did improve my SSD speeds but not by much - from memory it went from 254MB/s (about the limit of Sata 2/3G) to 345MB/s.. Of course on the newer board it hit its max of 540MB/s, a SanDisk 240GB SSD) i was getting over 80FPS on Forza Horizon 3 at 4K with 83% GPU usage, for example. On the Xeon it was 40-57FPS at about 50% usage, just couldn't pump the data to it! Depends what you're using it for really but that's not an overly demanding game either. And that was loading from the same HDDs, by the way. Didn't have to reformat either. The good news is, if you have RAID arrays on SATA drives, if you connect it to a newer Intel board, it gets detected and works immediately. I was surprised myself (i had a RAID of 2 2TB WD Blue HDDs for games at the time) and it literally just worked! Taken a few years to get the machine where i want it to be, but it can be done cheaper than you think! I do have a few X5650 chips here though, i think i paid £6 each so got 4 of them, intending to 'bin' them for a bit of fun but still haven't got 'round to it yet lol If they had ever been updated to use PCIe 3.0 that would likely help a lot!

This does make me want to dig out my X58 board and mess around again, but i really can't knock how well a now 11 year old CPU can still perform. An i7 8700K (which is what the 8086K is a binned version of) is quite an upgrade that would surprise you however, and perhaps when things return to normal, prices will actually be reasonable again! Running XP on the old X58 Xeon as someone else mentioned, that was hilarious though! Never had it feel so fast :laugh: And if you want stability, I'd say avoid older Ryzen platforms. I used to be the biggest AMD fan back in the day but once i realized that really, you're spending the same over time just in smaller amounts, i went with Intel (the X58!) and never looked back! I suppose the only annoyance is, besides an old IBM server i have that uses dual Xeons and has UEFI, only AMD's awful FX series of CPUs has UEFI from near that era..i think we can all agree they were trash. Eight core indeed..
Yeah I get where you are coming from on that. Sure I used windows xp on my asus p6x58d-e with x5675 for software related reason as windows 10 does not work with the older devices that I still used to this day. As the saying goes if it isn't broken don't fix it but improve functionality for the x58 that is a bonus. But every little help with improvements for performance. But at the end of the day it is how we keeps it going regardless :)

Motherboard ASRock Z790 PG SONIC (Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Master, Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 7/390 Des/X58A-UD7)
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX 3090 w/Corsair XG7 block (previously 1080Ti/970) +200 core +800 RAM +shunt mod
Storage 1x 500GB Samsung Evo 970 boot, 1TB ADATA, 2TB Sabrent RQ, 2x2TB Crucial MX, 4TB WD SN850X, 16TB NAS!
Display(s) Acer Nitro 27" 4K, dual Acer 24" 1080p LED, 65" Panasonic UHD 4K TV/55" Toshiba 4K UHD in bedroom
Audio Device(s) Onboard + EVGA Nu Audio Pro 7.1, Yamaha 4K AV Amp, Rotel RX-970B + 4x Kef Coda IIIs :D
Benchmark Scores https://www.3dmark.com/spy/18709841 https://valid.x86.fr/s9zmw1 https://valid.x86.fr/t0vrwy
Yeah I get where you are coming from on that. Sure I used windows xp on my asus p6x58d-e with x5675 for software related reason as windows 10 does not work with the older devices that I still used to this day. As the saying goes if it isn't broken don't fix it but improve functionality for the x58 that is a bonus. But every little help with improvements for performance. But at the end of the day it is how we keeps it going regardless :)
Ah yes, older devices.. Been there myself, i think it was an ASUS sound card i didn't want to part with actually. From memory i think it was a Xonar D2X PCIe, the one with the illuminated output ports which was actually a handy feature for getting the right socket! But, after having strange crashes, even under a supported OS, turns out the card wasn't playing very nice with the PCIe bus, even in older machines! So, i ditched it and its now sat on a shelf lol as for ASUS.. I had an ASUS X58 board as well, but every time a Gigabyte board has been better, even when it was older! I think i had a Rampage III Formula by ASUS, which had onboard USB3 and "Sata 3/6G" Marvell chipset but it was never all that stable and didn't work so well! In fact, even the onboard sound died on me..still detected by the driver but no output! Ironic that the card i mentioned to give my X58 board USB3/Sata6G, which was the Gigabyte EX-58A-UD5 or something like that, was actually an ASUS card supposedly for the ASUS board! That Gigabyte board didn't have anything as 'new' as that onboard, but with the exact same CPU, RAM, PSU, GPU etc i got a higher clock out of the CPU that was stable (4.4GHz vs 4GHz before crashing on the ASUS!) a tighter RAM timing setting and it was...just better in every single way! The Gigabyte board was even a little cheaper new than the ASUS was (didn't get either of them new though) and still works to this day! The ASUS does as well, albeit with a new owner and no onboard sound lol ended up using an old X-Fi Xtreme Gamer in a PCI slot for it! Haha.. Remember those? Marketing from memory was they were as powerful as a Pentium 4 3.4GHz or something but just for sound, with up to 64MB of on-board X-RAM! Hah.. Shame even the X-Fi Fatality Titanium i have lying around sounds like crap compared to even the old ASUS cards and modern onboard! One thing i avoid now like the plague for sound is definitely Creative, sadly even the old Xonar cards aren't usable too easily but that's not the fault of modern machines, that's the lack of driver updates and support! Even though Gigabyte also seem to be having a tough time lately, I've also avoided ASUS and MSI for many years now.. Besides getting an MSI graphics card back when the R9 290X was new, and it arrived too tightly packed with damaged fans (they collapsed the bearings from the factory!) i hadn't used them since 2004 when my barely over a year old Socket A motherboard suddenly died, as well as a lot of other MSI hardware! And a similar story with ASUS, not always dying as such just...never quite as quality and stable as the equivalent Gigabyte and even some ASRock boards, which weirdly are known to be ASUS at one point! Back in the Pentium II era, technically Gigabyte and ASUS were the same company! Gigabyte also made "Pegatron" i believe. I still have some BX440 boards too. One is from Gigabyte, one is from ASUS.. And it's only the Gigabyte that can do the hidden 133FSB stable with the same CPU, RAM etc..the ASUS won't get into Windows but the Gigabyte is fine! That could be the variance of the actual chipset, granted. But looking at the PCB, i'm fairly sure if i swapped the BX chips around, it'd still work on the Gigabyte! :laugh:

I only had problems with the Marvell drivers I don't use them at all and they work well just slow @ 400MB's read and 250MB's write because Marvell only uses PCIe 2.0 X1,but in raid 0 you can double those speeds, NVME dose help frame drops on X58 getting 1600 MB's read 900 MB's write I only have an RX570 and the xenon keeps it pegged @ %100 for the games I play COD warzone, Fortnite, Doom. I enjoy the challenge of pushing these X58's to the limits of stability and there cheap $15 for a X5675 no worries if I kill one and I only damaged one out of ignorance by setting ram voltage to auto overclocking set it at 1.7v and damaged the memory controller but it still works it just won't be stable at high overclocks

Attachments

• Screenshot (8).png
    Screenshot (8).png
    145.1 KB · Views: 78
  • Screenshot (9).png
    Screenshot (9).png
    950.4 KB · Views: 77

freeagent

Staff member
Processor AMD R7 5800X3D
Motherboard Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
Cooling Thermalright Frozen Edge 360, 3x TL-B12 V2, 2x TL-B12 V1
Memory 2x8 G.Skill Trident Z Royal 3200C14, 2x8GB G.Skill Trident Z Black and White 3200 C14
Video Card(s) Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC
Storage WD SN850 1TB, SN850X 2TB, SN770 1TB
Display(s) LG 50UP7100
Case Fractal Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) JBL Bar 700
Power Supply Seasonic Vertex GX-1000, Monster HDP1800
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Keyboard Logitech G213
VR HMD Oculus 3
Software Yes
Benchmark Scores Yes
The last time I checked those Marvell ports were almost as good as Intels.. but not quite. I didn’t use them for much.

The last time I checked those Marvell ports were almost as good as Intels.. but not quite. I didn’t use them for much.
Actually the marvel ports are faster Intel SATA 2 is 250 MB's marvel ports I get 400 MB's You could always buy a pcie X4 sata 3 expansion card to get the full sata 6 G

Mouse no brand
Ah yes, older devices.. Been there myself, i think it was an ASUS sound card i didn't want to part with actually. From memory i think it was a Xonar D2X PCIe, the one with the illuminated output ports which was actually a handy feature for getting the right socket! But, after having strange crashes, even under a supported OS, turns out the card wasn't playing very nice with the PCIe bus, even in older machines! So, i ditched it and its now sat on a shelf lol as for ASUS.. I had an ASUS X58 board as well, but every time a Gigabyte board has been better, even when it was older! I think i had a Rampage III Formula by ASUS, which had onboard USB3 and "Sata 3/6G" Marvell chipset but it was never all that stable and didn't work so well! In fact, even the onboard sound died on me..still detected by the driver but no output! Ironic that the card i mentioned to give my X58 board USB3/Sata6G, which was the Gigabyte EX-58A-UD5 or something like that, was actually an ASUS card supposedly for the ASUS board! That Gigabyte board didn't have anything as 'new' as that onboard, but with the exact same CPU, RAM, PSU, GPU etc i got a higher clock out of the CPU that was stable (4.4GHz vs 4GHz before crashing on the ASUS!) a tighter RAM timing setting and it was...just better in every single way! The Gigabyte board was even a little cheaper new than the ASUS was (didn't get either of them new though) and still works to this day! The ASUS does as well, albeit with a new owner and no onboard sound lol ended up using an old X-Fi Xtreme Gamer in a PCI slot for it! Haha.. Remember those? Marketing from memory was they were as powerful as a Pentium 4 3.4GHz or something but just for sound, with up to 64MB of on-board X-RAM! Hah.. Shame even the X-Fi Fatality Titanium i have lying around sounds like crap compared to even the old ASUS cards and modern onboard! One thing i avoid now like the plague for sound is definitely Creative, sadly even the old Xonar cards aren't usable too easily but that's not the fault of modern machines, that's the lack of driver updates and support! Even though Gigabyte also seem to be having a tough time lately, I've also avoided ASUS and MSI for many years now.. Besides getting an MSI graphics card back when the R9 290X was new, and it arrived too tightly packed with damaged fans (they collapsed the bearings from the factory!) i hadn't used them since 2004 when my barely over a year old Socket A motherboard suddenly died, as well as a lot of other MSI hardware! And a similar story with ASUS, not always dying as such just...never quite as quality and stable as the equivalent Gigabyte and even some ASRock boards, which weirdly are known to be ASUS at one point! Back in the Pentium II era, technically Gigabyte and ASUS were the same company! Gigabyte also made "Pegatron" i believe. I still have some BX440 boards too. One is from Gigabyte, one is from ASUS.. And it's only the Gigabyte that can do the hidden 133FSB stable with the same CPU, RAM etc..the ASUS won't get into Windows but the Gigabyte is fine! That could be the variance of the actual chipset, granted. But looking at the PCB, i'm fairly sure if i swapped the BX chips around, it'd still work on the Gigabyte! :laugh:
If you were having trouble with the sound card in pcie slot usually tells me that there was irq conflict not a hardware fault but I never had one so I wouldn't know. By the way for the onboard sound I usually disabled it but run the sound through the gtx 1050 ti through the hdmi splitter box that have 3.5mm jack as it easier to use and never had a single issue with it. There is bluetooth transmitter/receiver boxes available online that can connect to bluetooth headset/speakers if I went this route I would be able to send sounds wireless to my 150w amp powering 2 50w speakers along with two smaller speakers then it would be just insane while playing games on pc :)

If you were having trouble with the sound card in pcie slot usually tells me that there was irq conflict not a hardware fault but I never had one so I wouldn't know. By the way for the onboard sound I usually disabled it but run the sound through the gtx 1050 ti through the hdmi splitter box that have 3.5mm jack as it easier to use and never had a single issue with it. There is bluetooth transmitter/receiver boxes available online that can connect to bluetooth headset/speakers if I went this route I would be able to send sounds wireless to my 150w amp powering 2 50w speakers along with two smaller speakers then it would be just insane while playing games on pc :)
Yeah I haven't used a sound card sense my P3 1.4 ghz Windows 98 machine I still have that sound blaster PCI card I stick to Asus with X58 better quality and the digital 5.1 is awesome on these motherboards especially my rampage 3 Gene playing Doom with the headphones on is pretty phenomenal today's high-end sound cards are shielded the older stuff unless it was super high-end was probably not shielded and that's what caused the problems you were having I know with my cheap VGA monitor that has built-in speakers that I use on my test bench I get a lot of noise interference when the video card is in heavy use like with gaming not so much YouTube videos but through the headphones it's Crystal clear

Mouse no brand
Yeah I haven't used a sound card sense my P3 1.4 ghz Windows 98 machine I still have that sound blaster PCI card I stick to Asus with X58 better quality and the digital 5.1 is awesome on these motherboards especially my rampage 3 Gene playing Doom with the headphones on is pretty phenomenal today's high-end sound cards are shielded the older stuff unless it was super high-end was probably not shielded and that's what caused the problems you were having I know with my cheap VGA monitor that has built-in speakers that I use on my test bench I get a lot of noise interference when the video card is in heavy use like with gaming not so much YouTube videos but through the headphones it's Crystal clear
As for the noises you mentioned it to do with the frames been uncapped as I get buzzing noises through the headset turtlebeach x12 without the mic. With the bass cranked up it noticeable but since I cap the frames to 60 with v-sync enabled the buzzing noises disappeared for good

I always run uncapped frames Vsync set to fast and ultra low latency in Nvidia control panel in game Vsync set to off and I get no tearing only time I cap the frames is for low end slow ram & CPU's when they get into the 80% usage and low GPU usage like my Dell Optiplex 780 SFF core 2 quad Q9650 GTX750Ti then crank up details like antialiasing textures effects to get the GPU usage up above the CPU. the noise I'm talking about is only on the built in speakers with my HYUNDAI 1280x1024 VGA monitor. head phones sound great ultra low signal to noise ratio as dose my 2.1 stereo speakers, Got my ram in today I didn't realize they were 4x8GB 2 ranks sticks I also bought 2 LP sticks 2x4GB 1 rank sticks 40GB of 1866 ram on this thing and yes she's fast, check out the tight temps, never seen the temps so close on intel CPU this is another motherboard I got a couple days ago cheep $80 and another CPU $15 X58 baby

Attachments

• Screenshot (1).png
    Screenshot (1).png
    1,018 KB · Views: 90
  • Screenshot (2).png
    Screenshot (2).png
    145.2 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:
No conflicts.. Machine wasn't that old. :p Just didn't like it being PCIe 2.0 or the card has developed a fault with its bus controller. Doesn't work in ANY machine as i've said, so its likely a faulty card dude ;) For sound i have a Rotel RX-970B amp (60WRMS into 8ohm, 90WRMS into 4ohm per channel with less than 0.05% THD) hooked up to two pairs of KEF Coda IIIs..don't need a sub :) The AV Amp is a Yamaha RX-V479, 80WRMS per channel into 8ohms, front channels can go down to 2ohm stereo at 160wrms each but i'd never do that! Good old Yamaha.. That drives a pair of Mission 731 Pro at the rear, a pair of Mission 750SE Anniversary at the front with a Mission center speaker and a Yamaha YST-105 sub i modified a little, along with a Kenwood 12" 90s car sub (4ohm 150wrms max) driven by a BOSS AVA amp (BOSS = Rotel! bridged mode) running on a linear PSU that lets it reach full power :laugh: all of it from eBay or picked up cheap many years ago, some charity auctions, some car boot sales etc...none of it has let me down yet! But i miss my old Yamaha AV amp, a DSP-A5. No HDMI of course as its from 2000 but that thing does 5x110WRMS per channel into 8ohms and can still go full output to this day! I still have it, just isn't connected, that usually gets used for parties lol

I always run uncapped frames Vsync set to fast and ultra low latency in Nvidia control panel in game Vsync set to off and I get no tearing only time I cap the frames is for low end slow ram & CPU's when they get into the 80% usage and low GPU usage like my Dell Optiplex 780 SFF core 2 quad Q9650 GTX750Ti then crank up details like antialiasing textures effects to get the GPU usage up above the CPU. the noise I'm talking about is only on the built in speakers with my HYUNDAI 1280x1024 VGA monitor. head phones sound great ultra low signal to noise ratio as dose my 2.1 stereo speakers, Got my ram in today I didn't realize they were 4x8GB 2 ranks sticks I also bought 2 LP sticks 2x4GB 1 rank sticks 40GB of 1866 ram on this thing and yes she's fast, check out the tight temps, never seen the temps so close on intel CPU this is another motherboard I got a couple days ago cheep $80 and another CPU $15 X58 baby
I guess that's my point, 95 bucks would get you a considerably higher amount of DDR4 for a newer machine but its always a pain slowly building one instead of getting a new rig in one lump, that's why i stopped kinda wasting money on old parts but to be fair that's because i have far too much now :laugh: That SFF machine you have is amusing though. At the start of the first lockdown here i pimped an old HP SFF machine i acquired.. I paid £30 for it, came with a 120GB SSD, 8GB of 1600 DDR3 and an i5 4690... After having a pair of Radeon HD6570s in there that wouldn't even run Starcraft etc properly, i picked up an i7 4770K not so cheap at the time, like £102 from eBay, delidded and did conductonaut! Haha..shame the board in the HP limits the power a little bit, but i got hold of 2x8GB sticks of Team Group DDR3 for like £73, 2x4GB Crucial Ballistix sticks i think for like £40, not exactly cheap..so now it has that i7 and 24GB of RAM, then got a Low Profile GTX 1650 card for it for i think £150 and threw in a 500GB HDD salvaged from a defunct TiVo box! Quite small and strangely capable machine now, though at the moment its in the bedroom providing Netflix, Amazon and whatnot to the TV lol strangely Legion TD2 is almost playable at 4K on the thing getting 30FPS.. Though that card would never realistically be used for even 2K gaming i wanted to see what it would do and i was quite surprised! Shame i got the GDDR5X version just before they updated it with GDDR6 (takes the RAM bandwidth of the 1650LP from 128GB/s to 192GB/s...dangit!) lol

new stuff is boring to me and with the price of good overclocking cpu's DDR4, DDR5 ram and motherboard along with a graphics card that can utilize them its just not something I can afford or need for the games I play. I don't have a 4k monitor. 4k high refresh is nice but spendy. I get this stuff cheep when I see a deal like the new RX570 $50 after credit app and $50 gift card I got from work. that optiplex plays fortnite locked at 75 fps @1080P high detail (120 fps in performance mode) got it free minus the LP MSI GTX 750 TI $58. I plan on selling this extra stuff after I cherry pick the best of it, this Rampage 3 gene $120, CPU $15, 16GB, ram $38, I got for my nephew to replace his $30 optiplex 380 sff E5450 cpu $15 socket 771 mod I built him years ago, I custom fit an ASUS phoenix fan GTX 1050 I paid $80 for and will be reusing it and his 512gb silicon power SSD with my old ($42 new in 2019) Raidmax Cobra RX500w PSU and new Deepcool Matrexx 55 mesh case he's buying $58 to play 1080p 75Hz fortnite and COD war zone
1633550875285.png

new stuff is boring to me and with the price of good overclocking cpu's DDR4, DDR5 ram and motherboard along with a graphics card that can utilize them its just not something I can afford or need for the games I play. I don't have a 4k monitor. 4k high refresh is nice but spendy. I get this stuff cheep when I see a deal like the new RX570 $50 after credit app and $50 gift card I got from work. that optiplex plays fortnite locked at 75 fps @1080P high detail (120 fps in performance mode) got it free minus the LP MSI GTX 750 TI $58. I plan on selling this extra stuff after I cherry pick the best of it, this Rampage 3 gene $120, CPU $15, 16GB, ram $38, I got for my nephew to replace his $30 optiplex 380 sff E5450 cpu $15 socket 771 mod I built him years ago, I custom fit an ASUS phoenix fan GTX 1050 I paid $80 for and will be reusing it and his 512gb silicon power SSD with my old ($42 new in 2019) Raidmax Cobra RX500w PSU and new Deepcool Matrexx 55 mesh case he's buying $58 to play 1080p 75Hz fortnite and COD war zoneView attachment 219748
I know what you mean, i do.. But it's surprising how much detail you miss when you stick with 'lower end' stuff. You don't have to have 4K or the latest GPUs but for the price you're paying you can often pick up something that's in the middle of old and new for not a lot of money! I got a Coffee Lake based i3-8350K to tinker with for example, true it cost me £67, is "only" quad core compared to the newer i3 10th gen chips (which are surprisingly capable for gaming as they are quad core 8 thread) but to see what it could do, i de-lidded it, applied conductonaut, fitted a fairly cheap tower cooler.. Got it to 5GHz quite easily, never goes above 60 degrees and in CPU-Z for example, the benchmark function, my old Xeon hex core scores something like 2600 points, but very low score per thread/single compared to modern stuff.. The i3 scored nearly 2300 but single thread was 601, nearly double the Xeon, so in quite a few situations the silly i3 would actually be faster lol and uses less power, plus uses DDR4 and has much more bandwidth. And PCIe 3.0. See what i mean? X58 boards still command quite a high price too, which is what puts me off having more than the two i have remaining, three if you count the old IBM server i got hold of...which is a HUGE 5U tower! I mean, that GTX 750 Ti for example, you wouldn't pay much more for a good old GTX 970 which is way more capable. My old 970 still does pretty well for its age..i'm sure i got it new in like 2015 lol

I don't know I haven't seen a GTX970 going for under $250 and not much faster then my new RX570 these X5675's can easily feed a GTX 1080, RTX 2070, 3060 and you wouldn't know the difference in games not interested in any cpu's with less then 6 cores 12 threads
my next upgrade will be much newer because of the new requirements of windows 11 but as for now i'm good because GPU prices are out of the question (update) Just cracked the the 1000 point mark in Cinebench R15 with a dirt cheap 3 heat pipe Enermax ETS-N30-2 150W TDP air cooler from my old socket 771 Xenon X5450 rig on the Rampage 3 Gene with the 3x8GB 1866 (dual rank) ddr3 10-11-10-27 CR2 . single rank ddr3 won't score nearly as good unless all the memory is matching and all memory slots are populated.

Attachments

• Screenshot (5).png
    Screenshot (5).png
    211.1 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
I don't know I haven't seen a GTX970 going for under $250 and not much faster then my new RX570 these X5675's can easily feed a GTX 1080, RTX 2070, 3060 and you wouldn't know the difference in games not interested in any cpu's with less then 6 cores 12 threads
my next upgrade will be much newer because of the new requirements of windows 11 but as for now i'm good because GPU prices are out of the question (update) Just cracked the the 1000 point mark in Cinebench R15 with a dirt cheap 3 heat pipe Enermax ETS-N30-2 150W TDP air cooler from my old socket 771 Xenon X5450 rig on the Rampage 3 Gene with the 3x8GB 1866 (dual rank) ddr3 10-11-10-27 CR2 . single rank ddr3 won't score nearly as good unless all the memory is matching and all memory slots are populated.
I posted that vid in another thread some time back. Brian proved that X58 is still holding it's own as a gaming platform if you get a solid board and an upper-end CPU.

getting excellent rock solid stable results 4.52GHz cinebench R15 score 1036
multiplier 23X
CPU 1.35v
PLL 1.84v
QPI/VRAM 1.3v
VRAM 1.55v

Attachments

• cachemem.png
    cachemem.png
    91.9 KB · Views: 121
  • Screenshot (32).png
    Screenshot (32).png