• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Dell Workstation Owners Club

First, Welcome to TPU!
About a year ago, I "inherited" (rescued from recycling) a Dell Precision Tower T7810 - largely stock from Dell with a 64GB RAM upgrade, but everything else still the factory configured hardware.

It shipped with a Quadro K4200 GPU and I'm getting ready to upgrade his video card for Christmas - I've got an EVGA RTX3060 awaiting pickup, but it uses a 16 pin PSU connector, and the old K4200 has a different connector. I did do some reading about power consumption and such before pulling the trigger on that card, and most of what I read seems to support the notion that the factory 825W PSU will carry the card's power requirements, but I'm not crazy about going much further down that road without getting some advice.
If memory serves, the T7810 has two PCIe power cable connectors. Depending on the model of 3060, you might get an adapter power cable in the box. If not, you might need to get one.

So let's tackle the first challenges. Can you take a photo of your cables inside the case of your T7810 so we can see what you have spare? The service tag number would be helpful in looking up the exact specs on Dell's support site, and I'll show you how to do that yourself in future. Also can you list what make & model 3060 you bought? This information will help in selecting the right adapter cable, if needed. At the least we can point you in the right direction and offer input to properly install your new card in that system.

Last edited:
System Name Lenovo ThinkCentre
Processor AMD 5650GE
Motherboard Lenovo
Memory 32 GB DDR4
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Mouse Lenovo
Keyboard Lenovo
Software W11 Pro 64 bit
A 16 pin connector on the GPU sounds odd, could it be two 8 pin connectors?
In that case don't use a piggy back cable, use two different 8 pin cables from the Power Supply.

A 16 pin connector on the GPU sounds odd, could it be two 8 pin connectors?
I think that's likely.
In that case don't use a piggy back cable, use two different 8 pin cables from the Power Supply.
Some of the T7810 PSU's didn't have 8pin PCIe, they only had dual 6pin connectors. Depending on the revision of their system, they might not need anything or might need a pair of 6pin to 8 pin adapters. It also depends on what come with the 3060 they bought.

Doug Butabi

Hello! First post and new to the club.

Kind of....a couple years back I bought a T3500, and after my other desktop died a few days back, today I bought another Dell, this time a T7500.

Help! I think I may be in over my head, but maybe not?

The T7500 has dual 5680 processors and 48gb RAM, 4 SATA HDD@500GB each, with a RAID controller card. Windows 7 COA sticker on it.

Although I know the concept of RAID, I thought I would revisit that option later, and buying this monster would be a good choice for storing large amounts of music/FLAC files.

But upon startup, I see that it's not booting into an OS, which I (mistakenly) thought was already on the machine.

How do I get this beast up and running as a regular desktop?

Do I remove the RAID controller card and change BIOS settings?

I see several unused SATA cables coming from the mobo, could it be as simple as remove the controller card and put a SATA drive on one of the mobo SATA cables?

Do I download a fresh install USB of Win 10 for the Win 7 COA, or can I pop the drive from the T3500 (win 10 pro) in it?

Pics below of BIOS, startup screen and hard drives in their bays (numbered 0-4)

Any thoughts, or can you point me to any threads where this may already be discussed?

Thanks guys for any help you may be able to provide

IMG-6346.jpg

IMG-6347.jpg

IMG-6348.jpg

IMG-6349.jpg

IMG-6353.jpg

IMG-6354.jpg

IMG-6356.jpg

Last edited:
Hello! First post and new to the club.
Welcome to TPU!
Kind of....a couple years back I bought a T3500, and after my other desktop died a few days back, today I bought another Dell, this time a T7500.

The T7500 has dual 5680 processors and 48gb RAM, 4 SATA HDD@500GB each, with a RAID controller card. Windows 7 COA sticker on it.
Nice system.

So the first question to ask is: Do you want to use the SAS RAID controller? If so, this going to get complicated. If not, then we can take it out and connect the hard drives to the board directly.

Also, I noticed the following in your photos;
BrokenSATAPowerConnector.jpg

You definately don't want to try using that connector.

Doug Butabi

Welcome to TPU!

Nice system.

So the first question to ask is: Do you want to use the SAS RAID controller? If so, this going to get complicated. If not, then we can take it out and connect the hard drives to the board directly.

Also, I noticed the following in your photos;
View attachment 230053

You definately don't want to try using that connector.

Hah! Good catch, I didn't see that. Thanks bud.

No, I don't want to use the Raid controller. Maybe in the future, but for now I simply want to get the computer up and running.

Do I need to make any adjustments in the BIOS?

No, I don't want to use the Raid controller. Maybe in the future, but for now I simply want to get the computer up and running.
Ok, just take it out then.
Do I need to make any adjustments in the BIOS?
Yes, after removing it, you'll need to disable the SAS Controlller and connect the hard drives to the board directly. Also, it would be of benefit to enable AHCI instead of ATA on SATA Operation screen.

After that you should be able to install Windows without issue.

Doug Butabi

Ok, just take it out then.

Yes, after removing it, you'll need to disable the SAS Controlller and connect the hard drives to the board directly. Also, it would be of benefit to enable AHCI instead of ATA on SATA Operation screen.

After that you should be able to install Windows without issue.
Thanks!

What about the Integrated Nic, I don't need "Enable with Plex" enabled since it will be a private desktop?

Currently Plex is enabled, other two options for Integrated NIC are disable or enable.

I am assuming enable?

tomhampton

First, Welcome to TPU!

If memory serves, the T7810 has two PCIe power cable connectors. Depending on the model of 3060, you might get an adapter power cable in the box. If not, you might need to get one.

So let's tackle the first challenges. Can you take a photo of your cables inside the case of your T7810 so we can see what you have spare? The service tag number would be helpful in looking up the exact specs on Dell's support site, and I'll show you how to do that yourself in future. Also can you list what make & model 3060 you bought? This information will help in selecting the right adapter cable, if needed. At the least we can point you in the right direction and offer input to properly install your new card in that system.

Hey, there...

Thanks for jumping in, here - I was basing my initial assessment of the 3060 card on a set of specs I'd found online, and now that I have the card in hand, I'm seeing that it's a single 8-pin power connector. This particular card is an EVGA RTX 3060.

I did a little more digging after my initial post and before I went ahead and unboxed the card itself, and it might come down to a simple adapter that takes the two 6-pin connectors and merges them into an 8-pin male connector that'll power the card. Attaching the photos to this post and resisting the urge to lament the old days when all the power connectors were four pins and you couldn't attach them the wrong way without forcing them into place, blah blah blah...(I'm old. I'm adjusting to the notion of being old, but...I'm old.) :)

Attachments

• 3060socket.jpg
    3060socket.jpg
    645.3 KB · Views: 73
  • 7810psu.jpg
    7810psu.jpg
    632.4 KB · Views: 76
Hey, there...

Thanks for jumping in, here - I was basing my initial assessment of the 3060 card on a set of specs I'd found online, and now that I have the card in hand, I'm seeing that it's a single 8-pin power connector. This particular card is an EVGA RTX 3060.

I did a little more digging after my initial post and before I went ahead and unboxed the card itself, and it might come down to a simple adapter that takes the two 6-pin connectors and merges them into an 8-pin male connector that'll power the card. Attaching the photos to this post and resisting the urge to lament the old days when all the power connectors were four pins and you couldn't attach them the wrong way without forcing them into place, blah blah blah...(I'm old. I'm adjusting to the notion of being old, but...I'm old.) :)
Yeah, the adapter cable is all you need and you'll be good to go. Something like the following would work very well.

Doug Butabi

So I'm up and running!

I removed the controller and then in BIOS I disabled the SAS controller and enabled ACHI - but BIOS did not see the drives. I tried several configurations and drives, but nothing worked. At one point it said ACHI BIOS not installed. WTH

Then I remembered the CMOS battery trick, and after it rebooted and loaded default BIOS settings, I saw that it had enabled the SAS controller.

But this time it recognized the drives and voila, here I am!

Fun thread, I will be sticking around!

And thanks for the help Lex; it is appreciated.

Then I remembered the CMOS battery trick, and after it rebooted and loaded default BIOS settings, I saw that it had enabled the SAS controller.

But this time it recognized the drives and voila, here I am!
Resetting the bios fixed the problem but only because the default config enables all devices in the Settings->Drives->Drive screen. You want to go back in and disable the SAS controller setting as this will look for a controller at bootup and slow down the boot process because one isn't present.

And thanks for the help Lex; it is appreciated.
You're welcome!

System Name PCGR
Processor 12400f
Motherboard Asus ROG STRIX B660-I
Cooling Stock Intel Cooler
Memory 2x16GB DDR5 5600 Corsair
Video Card(s) Dell RTX 3080
Storage 1x 512GB Mmoment PCIe 3 NVME 1x 2TB Corsair S70
Display(s) LG 32" 1440p
Case Phanteks Evolve itx
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply 750W Cooler Master sfx
Software Windows 11
I know this was talked about earlier but I couldn't find a definite answer.

I have a Dell T3600 being used as my console machine. So I figure I might as well upgrade the CPU to a E5 1650 to remove any possible bottlenecks (currently a 1603 which is only 4c/4t). Now I saw a Dell t5810 with a 1650 and 16gb of DDR4 memory going for $400 but I figure I can get it down to about roughly $200. Only issue is it is a 425W PSU. My 3600 is a 625 W PSU and I would need it as it would be powering a RX 6600.

Are the PSU's interchangeable? I mean, both are hot swappable PSU's and design looks similar.

Processor Xeon x5650
Motherboard SABERTOOTH X58
Cooling Fans
Memory 24 GB Kingston HyperX 1600
Video Card(s) GTX 1060 3GB
Storage small ssd
Display(s) Dell 2001F, BenQ short throw
Case Lian Li
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply X750
Software Mint 19.3, Win 10
Benchmark Scores not so fast...
Can you get your eyes ands hands on the rig before you buy? Does the T3600 have two PSUs? If so, bring one of them to try in the "new" t5810. Or, shut the rig down and try 425w psu in new system.

System Name PCGR
Processor 12400f
Display(s) LG 32" 1440p
Case Phanteks Evolve itx
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Software Windows 11
Can you get your eyes ands hands on the rig before you buy? Does the T3600 have two PSUs? If so, bring one of them to try in the "new" t5810. Or, shut the rig down and try 425w psu in new system.
Both units only have 1 PSU. They are just a server grade.

It is from a recycling depot, so I cant really see it until I buy it. But it does have a 90day warranty where I can return it for whatever reason.

Just wondering if it would just be better to buy a 1650 or 1660 instead.

Last edited:
System Name Office
Processor Ryzen 5600G
Motherboard ASUS B450M-A II
Cooling be quiet! Shadow Rock LP
Memory 16GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4-3200
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RX 5600 XT
Storage PNY CS1030 250GB, Crucial MX500 2TB
Display(s) Dell S2719DGF
Case Fractal Define 7 Compact
Power Supply EVGA 550 G3
Mouse Logitech M705 Marthon
Keyboard Logitech G410
Software Windows 10 Pro 22H2
Both units only have 1 PSU. They are just a server grade.

It is from a recycling depot, so I cant really see it until I buy it. But it does have a 90day warranty where I can return it for whatever reason.

Just wondering if it would just be better to buy a 1650 or 1660 instead.

130W processor and 160W of graphics? I know 425 is under recommended min, but I'd wager it'll push those just fine.

System Name PCGR
Processor 12400f
Display(s) LG 32" 1440p
Case Phanteks Evolve itx
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Software Windows 11
130W processor and 160W of graphics? I know 425 is under recommended min, but I'd wager it'll push those just fine.
I like to feel safe. Lol

But I wager you are correct.

Fluffs

Hi,

I've been trying to install a Creative Audigy RX card in my T3500. The card is only getting detected as a pci bridge and will not install with drivers.
I tried the x4 slot and the x16 slot but the result is the same, disabling onboard audio didn't work either.
The card did work in another machine using a x1 slot.
Is this board incompatible or am I missing something?

Hi,

I've been trying to install a Creative Audigy RX card in my T3500. The card is only getting detected as a pci bridge and will not install with drivers.
I tried the x4 slot and the x16 slot but the result is the same, disabling onboard audio didn't work either.
The card did work in another machine using a x1 slot.
Is this board incompatible or am I missing something?
Welcome to TPU! Tell us more about your system. What OS are you using and what version? Have you downloaded the latest SB-ARX drivers from Creative or are you using the version provided on the disc that came with the card? Can you take a screen shot of the device manage showing the PCI Bridge entry?

I know this was talked about earlier but I couldn't find a definite answer.

I have a Dell T3600 being used as my console machine. So I figure I might as well upgrade the CPU to a E5 1650 to remove any possible bottlenecks (currently a 1603 which is only 4c/4t). Now I saw a Dell t5810 with a 1650 and 16gb of DDR4 memory going for $400 but I figure I can get it down to about roughly $200. Only issue is it is a 425W PSU. My 3600 is a 625 W PSU and I would need it as it would be powering a RX 6600.

Are the PSU's interchangeable? I mean, both are hot swappable PSU's and design looks similar.
Sorry I didn't respond earlier. The PSU's for the T3600 and the T5810 have the same form factor and blade edge pinout. So your 625w would work fine in the other system. However, you might be better served with a simple CPU upgrade like you mentioned. A Xeon E5-1650 is not expensive and neither is the V2 of the same model number. Either one would be an excellent upgrade from what you have.

Fluffs

Thanks for the welcome.

Full spec for the system is:
X5670, 24gb ddr3, gtx 960, 500gb ssd, 1tb hdd.
Running Windows 10 Pro.
The conflict you see in the first two shots goes away once the card is removed. last one is the drivers failing to detect the card.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    789.4 KB · Views: 63
  • unknown1.png
    unknown1.png
    45 KB · Views: 61
  • unknown2.png
    unknown2.png
    62.3 KB · Views: 72
System Name Alienware PC
Processor Intel 4790K
Motherboard ASROCK Z97 EXTREME4
Memory 32GB DDR3 1600 MHz
Video Card(s) ATI Radeon HD 7770 2GB GDDR5
Storage SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2
Display(s) SAMSUNG UE57 Series 28-Inch 4K UHD
Case Alienware Area 51 Black Tower Case
Audio Device(s) Realtek On Board
Power Supply EVGA 850 watt
Mouse Microsoft Wireless
Keyboard HyperX - Alloy Elite 2 Mechanical Gaming Keyboard.
Software Windows 10 Pro & LTSB & LTSC Windows 11 Pro
I have an ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 machine, w/ Xeon 5670 running @ 4.30 GHZ 24GB DDR3. I had a person give me a really nice creative sound card, from what I remember, it did see the card, but I tried numerous drivers for that card for my windows 10 Pro, and I never could get it to work. I never tried it on an earlier OS. Here's the card I could never get to work.

Attachments

• IMG_8643.JPG
    IMG_8643.JPG
    63.1 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_8644.JPG
    IMG_8644.JPG
    82.4 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_8645.JPG
    IMG_8645.JPG
    46.3 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
Thanks for the welcome.

Full spec for the system is:
X5670, 24gb ddr3, gtx 960, 500gb ssd, 1tb hdd.
Running Windows 10 Pro.
The conflict you see in the first two shots goes away once the card is removed. last one is the drivers failing to detect the card.
Have you tried DanielK's custom drivers for that card?
I use and recommend them. Sadly, he's retiring but this latest pack should work for the next few years at least.

Fluffs

Have you tried DanielK's custom drivers for that card?
I use and recommend them. Sadly, he's retiring but this latest pack should work for the next few years at least.
I don't believe it is a driver issue, I tested the card and the same drivers on another W10 machine (HP Compaq Pro 6300 Microtower) and it worked with no problems.
The card was also detected as a multimedia adapter on said system before any driver was installed.

I have an ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 machine, w/ Xeon 5670 running @ 4.30 GHZ 24GB DDR3. I had a person give me a really nice creative sound card, from what I remember, it did see the card, but I tried numerous drivers for that card for my windows 10 Pro, and I never could get it to work. I never tried it on an earlier OS. Here's the card I could never get to work.
Were you successful in running it on another OS/machine?
This card is much older than mine and doesn't get support anymore while you can still buy my model directly from Creative.