• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Dell Workstation Owners Club

The reason for it is power savings. Modern CPU's will dynamically adjust/drop their speeds/voltage to meet load demand. When the CPU is barely being used, there's no need to run it at full speed and voltage.
Yeah but that was during benchmarking.
When it goes ALL OUT / full retard.
The only time I see both at 100%.
As I "work" I max them out at 75%.

Thanks all for your tips! I was quite busy and just reassembled everything. It seems like the problem is at least partially resolved. At first boot, I saw a notice saying that the amount of RAM has changed. The task manager now detects 12GB but 11GB usable. I now longer have a DIMM slot error when I turn the system on. Could the 1GB "missing" be somehow software reserved for some reason?

It shouldn't be a whole 1GB, but yeah, that's normal. There is always some amount of system RAM reserved for shadowing system resources like the BIOS and VBIOS.

That's great to hear. Thanks again guys for having identified the issue! It looks like a common problem on these workstation, someone was selling 3 of these on a local auction website and they all had RAM issues. They sold for super cheap, one as low as 10 bucks and they had W3680 and W3690 CPUs. I almost regret not buying them but it would have been a 5 hours trip and gas is not cheap right now.

I received my RTX3060 but I'm realizing I may have made a mistake. I was assuming it has the same power requirement than my old GPU looking at the spec sheets, but it turns out that the RX570 has a 150W TDP and the RTX3060 has a 170W TDP. I have the stock 500W Dell PSU so it can only provide 150W to the GPU through the PCIe slot and 6pin connector. I saw some Youtube videos of people undervolting it without losing performance, but I don't know if it's safe to even turn on the system with a GPU needing more power than available. Should I sell it and get a RX6600 with 132W TDP instead ?

System Name Terminator T3500
Processor Intel Xeon W3680 4GHz
Motherboard Dell T3500
Cooling Deepcool Gammax 400
Memory 12GB (6x2GB) DDR3 1333
Video Card(s) PowerColor Red Dragon RX 580 8GB
Storage 120GB SSD + 1TB HDD
Display(s) Acer H233H - 1920x1080 75Hz
Case Corsair Carbide Spec-01
Audio Device(s) Kinter MA-170
Power Supply Corsair CX600
Mouse Corsair Katar
Keyboard Ajazz AK33
Software Windows 10
That's great to hear. Thanks again guys for having identified the issue! It looks like a common problem on these workstation, someone was selling 3 of these on a local auction website and they all had RAM issues. They sold for super cheap, one as low as 10 bucks and they had W3680 and W3690 CPUs. I almost regret not buying them but it would have been a 5 hours trip and gas is not cheap right now.

I received my RTX3060 but I'm realizing I may have made a mistake. I was assuming it has the same power requirement than my old GPU looking at the spec sheets, but it turns out that the RX570 has a 150W TDP and the RTX3060 has a 170W TDP. I have the stock 500W Dell PSU so it can only provide 150W to the GPU through the PCIe slot and 6pin connector. I saw some Youtube videos of people undervolting it without losing performance, but I don't know if it's safe to even turn on the system with a GPU needing more power than available. Should I sell it and get a RX6600 with 132W TDP instead ?
You could just keep and undervolt / underclock it a bit to run at the 150W TDP. I believe it's real easy from within the drivers, actually, and won't require much other than moving a slider (at least AMD it's that easy). You'll probably get 90+% of it's performance still, I would guess.

You could just keep and undervolt / underclock it a bit to run at the 150W TDP. I believe it's real easy from within the drivers, actually, and won't require much other than moving a slider (at least AMD it's that easy). You'll probably get 90+% of it's performance still, I would guess.
You mean the Nvidia drivers? I saw a video where it only loses between 0 and 3% of performance with 50W less power using MSI afterburner

Motherboard Dell T3500
Mouse Corsair Katar
Keyboard Ajazz AK33
Software Windows 10
You mean the Nvidia drivers? I saw a video where it only loses between 0 and 3% of performance with 50W less power using MSI afterburner
I haven't used Nvidia GPU in quite awhile, but I know AMD has a slider for power usage in their driver settings. I'd assume Nvidia would have something similar. If not, MSI Afterburner would certainly work, just means extra software running which I am not a huge fan of doing if I can avoid it. MSI Afterburner is really great software though and no reason not to use it! It has great on-screen overlay features that are VERY helpful when first setting up overclocks/underclocks/overvolt/undervolt. It will help you know what your computer is doing in real time when running games and stuff.

EDIT - let me too have a look at the power supply setup for your T3500...you might be able to add a connector to get more power as well, not sure, but worth a look. At a quick glance, looks easy...what power connector(s) does your GPU have? And do you have free molex or SATA power connectors? 525W should be plenty to run your setup at full speed (and maybe then some) as long as we get the power where it needs to be.

Last edited:
I haven't used Nvidia GPU in quite awhile, but I know AMD has a slider for power usage in their driver settings. I'd assume Nvidia would have something similar. If not, MSI Afterburner would certainly work, just means extra software running which I am not a huge fan of doing if I can avoid it. MSI Afterburner is really great software though and no reason not to use it! It has great on-screen overlay features that are VERY helpful when first setting up overclocks/underclocks/overvolt/undervolt. It will help you know what your computer is doing in real time when running games and stuff.

EDIT - let me too have a look at the power supply setup for your T3500...you might be able to add a connector to get more power as well, not sure, but worth a look. At a quick glance, looks easy...what power connector(s) does your GPU have? And do you have free molex or SATA power connectors? 525W should be plenty to run your setup at full speed (and maybe then some) as long as we get the power where it needs to be.

Yes I discovered MSI afterburner a few weeks ago after wondering what people use in benchmark videos. I wasn't able to make Rivatuner work with my RX570 though. But I probably missed something, I will try again with the new GPU.

I have a 6pin connector with an 8pin adapter. I also have a free MOLEX but I was thinking about using it with a splitter adapter to add 2 fans at the back of the case and another on the CPU heatsink. I also have a free SATA connector and another I could disconnect from the CD drive. I'm thinking of removing the drive anyway and replace it with an USB3 front panel with PCIe card. ( I sold the RX570 a few days ago so I had to use the old Quadro to test the ram )

IMG_20220422_180155.jpg

Motherboard Dell T3500
Mouse Corsair Katar
Keyboard Ajazz AK33
Software Windows 10
EDIT - yeah, a "dual 6-pin PCIe to single 8-pin PCIe" and a "SATA to PCIe 6-pin"...that should work unless I am missing something. It should be pretty obvious how to hook them up, but I can elaborate if you need, no worries. Looks like you already have the dual 6-pin to single 8-pin!

So something like this is all you'd need - https://www.amazon.ca/Express-Graph...locphy=9001050&hvtargid=pla-961764887237&th=1

EDIT - there are also other ways of adding fans to your build without using the molex...there are adapters to use the motherboard fan headers out there somewhere, and they might even allow the motherboard to still monitor and change RPM...can't remember now. I made my own and run my DeepCool Gammax CPU fan off of one header.

Last edited:
EDIT - yeah, a "dual 6-pin PCIe to single 8-pin PCIe" and a "SATA to PCIe 6-pin"...that should work unless I am missing something. It should be pretty obvious how to hook them up, but I can elaborate if you need, no worries. Looks like you already have the dual 6-pin to single 8-pin!

So something like this is all you'd need - https://www.amazon.ca/Express-Graph...locphy=9001050&hvtargid=pla-961764887237&th=1

Yes that would be perfect! I just saw that SATA power connectors can provide up to 54W so that would be plenty enough. I'm going to order one of these, thanks!

Motherboard Dell T3500
Mouse Corsair Katar
Keyboard Ajazz AK33
Software Windows 10
Last edited:
I was assuming it has the same power requirement than my old GPU looking at the spec sheets, but it turns out that the RX570 has a 150W TDP and the RTX3060 has a 170W TDP. I have the stock 500W Dell PSU so it can only provide 150W to the GPU through the PCIe slot and 6pin connector. I saw some Youtube videos of people undervolting it without losing performance, but I don't know if it's safe to even turn on the system with a GPU needing more power than available.
20W difference in not significant. You will not kill your system/PSU. Keep your card, enjoy.
Yup, that should work.

Motherboard Dell T3500
Mouse Corsair Katar
Keyboard Ajazz AK33
Software Windows 10
I think I found a way to add 3 ( or even more ) controllable fans. Using the Dell fan header to 4pin PWM adapter recommended by Aaron and something like this:

https://www.digitec.ch/en/s1/produc...8IvYksL_EN5XFtVHhMxoClbsQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

It takes power from SATA and control input from 4pin PWM. What do you think?
That should work! I have something similar but it is some cheap chinesium proprietary thing that came with my ARGB fans and I could never get the motherboard PWM control (or ARGB) to work. I do believe it's only because it's a cheap piece of junk (fans are actually really good though? lol), and I read reviews for it (the fans+controller) and it seemed no one was really able to get it work. I'd have to put new connectors on all my fans to make them work with a non-proprietary controller.

That should work! I have something similar but it is some cheap chinesium proprietary thing that came with my ARGB fans and I could never get the motherboard PWM control (or ARGB) to work. I do believe it's only because it's a cheap piece of junk (fans are actually really good though? lol), and I read reviews for it (the fans+controller) and it seemed no one was really able to get it work. I'd have to put new connectors on all my fans to make them work with a non-proprietary controller.
So this means the fans you added are running at a fixed speed?

While I'm at it, I'm thinking of getting rid of the stock fans which are noisy and take a lot of space. I have 2 spare BeQuiet 120mm fans lying around. So assuming it's not a good idea to connect fans with different size and specs to the same hub (please correct me if I'm wrong), here is my plan: 4x 80mm fans, 2 at the back of the case and one each side of the heatsink connected to the spare fan header through a hub and Dell to 4pin PWM adapter. And 2x 120mm fans to replace the stock front ones connected to one of the front fan headers using another adapter. ( I hope that's understandable haha )

EDIT: As the Dell header to 4pin PMW adapters have dual outputs, I think I could also go for 3 adapters with 2 fans connected on each. Then it would allow independent control for front, back and CPU fans

Last edited:
Motherboard Dell T3500
Mouse Corsair Katar
Keyboard Ajazz AK33
Software Windows 10
So this means the fans you added are running at a fixed speed?

While I'm at it, I'm thinking of getting rid of the stock fans which are noisy and take a lot of space. I have 2 spare BeQuiet 120mm fans lying around. So assuming it's not a good idea to connect fans with different size and specs to the same hub (please correct me if I'm wrong), here is my plan: 4x 80mm fans, 2 at the back of the case and one each side of the heatsink connected to the spare fan header through a hub and Dell to 4pin PWM adapter. And 2x 120mm fans to replace the stock front ones connected to one of the front fan headers using another adapter. ( I hope that's understandable haha )

EDIT: As the Dell header to 4pin PMW adapters have dual outputs, I think I could also go for 3 adapters with 2 fans connected on each. Then it would allow independent control for front, back and CPU fans

Yeah, my case fans are running at a fixed speed...just the CPU fan is using a motherboard fan header. I did try to hook up my controller, but there was no documentation for it, and it's janky as heck...I had to hot glue all the connectors into it so they wouldn't fall out lol I just got bored of messing with it and wanted to use my PC, if I am honest...and it's been awhile since I've done anything in there. I am nearly positive what you linked would work in combination with the Dell 5-pin to 4-pin I linked...I wouldn't be too worried about trying it. Get the fan controller first though though before going crazy ordering fans, just in case. You really would be wise to replace all the fans...I imagine they are super loud. Some aftermarket PWM fans will be night and day. And I am not sure on mixing fans...I wouldn't recommend it, but if they are similar RPM, I bet they still work together. Not sure what that will do to the controller long term...but the controller is cheap, and I doubt it would hurt the fans if you tried it. Can you fit larger fans than 80mm? The heatsink I was using on my T3500 motherboard, before I went aftermarket...I am pretty sure fit a 90mm pretty much perfectly. But I didn't have to deal with the rest of a T3500 system full of shrouds and other stuff. You really want to use the largest fan(s) you can fit in the space you have to work with. I had to zip tie the fan directly to the heatsink. Smaller fans are always going to be louder for the given amount of air they move, and thus cooling effectiveness. And that stock T3500 heatsink struggles with 130W CPU, even with a fan upgrade. Give me a bit and I'll take a better look at the stock cooling setup on the T3500 and see if there is anything I am missing, but it sounds like you have a solid plan and already know what's up lol

I just got bored of messing with it and wanted to use my PC, if I am honest...

Sounds like the same reason I was using mine with a RAM issue for 2 years haha

Thanks, you're right about the 92mm fan, there is just enough space. So I think I don't need the hub if I remove the front fans. They are connected to two different headers which, I assume, can be controlled independently. I could connect two 120mm front fans to one header, two 92mm heatsink fans to another and two 80mm back fans to the last one. So it looks like I only need to get 3 adapters with dual 4pin outputs.

Someone is selling 24GB of ram locally for 60 bucks, they are rated at 2000Mhz but the spec sheet says SPD speed 1333Mhz. Anyone knows if they may be compatible?

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categ...Memory-Kit/p/CMT12GX3M3A2000C9#tab-tech-specs

Sounds like the same reason I was using mine with a RAM issue for 2 years haha

Thanks, you're right about the 92mm fan, there is just enough space. So I think I don't need the hub if I remove the front fans. They are connected to two different headers which, I assume, can be controlled independently. I could connect two 120mm front fans to one header, two 92mm heatsink fans to another and two 80mm back fans to the last one. So it looks like I only need to get 3 adapters with dual 4pin outputs.

Someone is selling 24GB of ram locally for 60 bucks, they are rated at 2000Mhz but the spec sheet says SPD speed 1333Mhz. Anyone knows if they may be compatible?

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Memory/DOMINATOR®-GT-with-DHX-Pro-Connector-and-Airflow-II-Fan-—-12GB-Triple-Channel-DDR3-Memory-Kit/p/CMT12GX3M3A2000C9#tab-tech-specs
Should be. It'll only run at 1333mhz, but it should work.

System Name Dell T3500
Processor Xeon X5687
Motherboard Dell - 9KPNV
Cooling Dell U016F
Memory 12gb ECC 1333
Video Card(s) MSI rx480 gaming X
Storage 1tb WD blue
Case Dell T3500
20W difference in not significant. You will not kill your system/PSU. Keep your card, enjoy.
Agreed. The 6-pin 75 watt limitation myth pervades. It is a requirement not a wall. No regulator on the connectors. Bet the Dell 500w can actually supply a lot more than that. The RX 480 running last five years using 6 to 8 pin adapter in my t3500 often pulls over 210w during heavy gaming.

System Name Work Computer | Unfinished Computer
Processor Core i7-6700 | Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard Dell Q170 | Gigabyte Aorus Elite Wi-Fi
Cooling A fan? | Truly Custom Loop
Memory 4x4GB Crucial 2133 C17 | 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance RGB 3600 C26
Video Card(s) Dell Radeon R7 450 | RTX 2080 Ti FE
Storage Crucial BX500 2TB | TBD
Display(s) 3x LG QHD 32" GSM5B96 | TBD
Case Dell | Heavily Modified Phanteks P400
Power Supply Dell TFX Non-standard | EVGA BQ 650W
Mouse Monster No-Name $7 Gaming Mouse| TBD
Agreed. The 6-pin 75 watt limitation myth pervades. It is a requirement not a wall. No regulator on the connectors. Bet the Dell 500w can actually supply a lot more than that. The RX 480 running last five years using 6 to 8 pin adapter in my t3500 often pulls over 210w during heavy gaming.
A quick search in the GPU database shows 4 separate base model (non-AIB) GPUs running on 1x 6-pin connector and over 150w TDP at stock sustained.

Thanks, I didn't try the new card yet as I was waiting for the adapters and fans but I think I will give it a try tonight. Did you upgrade the CPU cooler on your T3500?

Motherboard Dell T3500
Mouse Corsair Katar
Keyboard Ajazz AK33
Software Windows 10
Indeed, but you can still send too much pixies through a cable that only ever had to be rated for "75W" of power...and the results are not pretty. I've burned through cables more than once. And when it's easy to make an adapter, it's easy to make an adapter and be safe. IMO, of course. You can literally burn your house down if you have a cheap PSU with tiny wire and try sending even the rated 75W through it lol Not all PSU are created equal and I don't suggest trying to overdraw outside of spec on random setups...you will kill something eventually, especially if you ever use "cheap" hardware.

I tested the new GPU with a single 6 pin, nothing caught fire so far... I can already tell it made a huge improvement. I only played CS:GO but I got twice the FPS and it feels much more responsive. I can definitely feel a big difference even if I play on a TV with a 10 bucks wireless mouse and a keyboard found in the trash :D
It is also way better for watching Youtube content! It was one of the reasons I wanted to change my card because at the end of the day, it is what this computer is mostly used for. The RX570 didn't decode the Youtube format so my CPU was under heavy load and the case fans were super noisy. I watched some 4K 60fps videos for an hour with the RTX 3060, and the GPU fans didn't even turn on ( with open case ), the CPU usage was around 10% instead of 70% with the RX570 and the case fans were almost silent. So I'm really happy with that.

Last edited:
I tested the new GPU with a single 6 pin, nothing caught fire so far... I can already tell it made a huge improvement. I only played CS:GO but I got twice the FPS and it feels much more responsive. I can definitely feel a big difference even if I play on a TV with a 10 bucks wireless mouse and a keyboard found in the trash :D
It is also way better for watching Youtube content! It was one of the reasons I wanted to change my card because at the end of the day, it is what this computer is mostly used for. The RX570 didn't decode the Youtube format so my CPU was under heavy load and the case fans were super noisy. I played some 4K 60fps content for an hour with the RTX 3060, and the GPU fans didn't even turn on ( with open case ), the CPU usage was around 10% instead of 70% with the RX570 and the case fans were almost silent. So I'm really happy with that.
Nice! Your CPU usage dropping was not surprising, but by that much? Very interesting. I didn't realize CS:GO was that CPU dependent.